Roll Call
2 members (stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, Reboot, stile86), 47 Murran Spies, and 102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 08/03/24 10:22 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 08/03/24 10:20 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 08/03/24 10:18 PM
Were Vi and Kinetix in love?
by Gaseous Lad - 08/03/24 01:15 PM
Why love the legion?
by Gaseous Lad - 08/03/24 10:27 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 08/03/24 09:59 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Straya's Art Spam Thread (Updated 3/19)
#128979 12/03/06 02:03 PM
Straya Offline OP
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Originally posted by Copycat Girl:
frown you have made my cute adorable geek into some rock robot...yet I can't hate it!
I think the problem is that I've loved Transformers since age eight, and in recent years, have come to think of many of their faces as being extremely attractive with the facial lines, chin guards, simplified noses, battle masks, visors, etc. And since I started taking mecha art seriously in early 2004, I've been trying to ramp things up a bit whenever I draw anything robotic. More details, more mechanical kibble, etc. (I actually tried to take Mega Man X himself to another level by drawing him as a Transformer.)

I may try some variations, though. I mentally played with the idea of a visor, but didn't actually try it. (And, if anything, it's probably the added lines and nose that are turning you off a bit because they make him not only more robotic, but older. The funny thing is, though, is that the spots were I placed the added lines are actually where his face divides and resets for battlebot mode; they're just more like invisible seams in the cartoon.)

Originally posted by Vee:
I think that Brainy looks terrific! Nice work Straya. smile
Originally posted by Awesomegirl:
I only have two words for your drawings: FREAKIN AWESOME!!!
Thanks, guys! ^_^

Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
I like it, a more classic look for Brainy. Looks like he's ready for a long day of work in the lab and the mechanical shop.

Of course, this may not be a positive thing considering he spent his first 30+ years in very fashion-challenged purple mechanic's coveralls.
LOL, sometimes the fashionable challenged ones are the most fun... Because then it's an excuse to draw them in clothing variations. XD Plus I'm very much a fan of WB!Brainy's snarky side. Tried to put that through on this one. "Don't bother me, I'm busy!"

"Not imbalanced, just creatively calibrated!"

Talks about Transformers too much. Likes robots with plenty of bling, er big guns!
#128980 12/04/06 03:36 AM
Leader
Leader
Awesome work! Great to see so much new work here [Linked Image]

#128981 12/04/06 03:51 AM
Substitute
Substitute
RAWKMAN X! laugh laugh laugh

I love the more robotic look that you've given Brainy, actually XD Makes it less anime-ish, more... okay, gundams are still Japanese, but you know what I mean. Hee hee, HUGE feet. (There's a joke here, but I'm going to let it pass.)

Interesting combination of fabric and machine - although, since the 'clothes' part of him transform too, I would've thought his outfit was just emulated tech. But of course, this is the future. In space. Anything can happen.

And for some reason, I have fallen in love with your ear interpretation. And his clunky little fingers. Brainy looks a bit older, here!

...Hawt.

#128982 12/04/06 04:09 AM
Straya Offline OP
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Originally posted by Lurker Lass:
RAWKMAN X! laugh laugh laugh

I love the more robotic look that you've given Brainy, actually XD Makes it less anime-ish, more... okay, gundams are still Japanese, but you know what I mean. Hee hee, HUGE feet. (There's a joke here, but I'm going to let it pass.)
AHAHAHA, omg... I actually made the "huge feet" joke to a close Transfan friend on AIM while I was working on the sketch and we both just sat there and giggled about it. XD

Interesting combination of fabric and machine - although, since the 'clothes' part of him transform too, I would've thought his outfit was just emulated tech. But of course, this is the future. In space. Anything can happen.
I'm still trying to figure out whether it is fabric in the series, or something else. Drax actually grabs Brainy by "the shirt" in "Phantoms", making it look like it is a shirt and it is cloth. At the same time, everything folds out and transforms when he goes battle bot mode. ...some kind of nanite tech? Dunno.

And for some reason, I have fallen in love with your ear interpretation. And his clunky little fingers. Brainy looks a bit older, here!

...Hawt.
I blame the fingers completely on the recent slew of Transformers comic artists (like Don Figueroa, Mark Brooks, Makoto Ono, etc.) who have upped the anty on drawing TFs with heavier amounts of detail. (Makotron's Rodimus Convoy art is a good example of it.)

The ears... I think I almost wanted them to look like they could expand and contracts like mini-satellite dishes or something, LOL. I think I picked that up from how Mega Man's robocat Tango looked years and years ago.

BTW, im in ur blog, stalkn u on elJay. Heh heh. (But don't worry, I don't bite. Usually. laugh )

Talks about Transformers too much. Likes robots with plenty of bling, er big guns!
#128983 12/04/06 04:31 AM
F
Substitute
Substitute
F
That is probably the coolest brainy picture I've ever seen! *dies squeeling like a fangirl with rabies* I love the Rockman look to it!

Beware Fangirl Girl! Her power will force you into saucy slash situations you cannot escape from! *evil laugh* Don't drop the soap!
#128984 12/04/06 06:48 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Straya:
I'm still trying to figure out whether it is fabric in the series, or something else. Drax actually grabs Brainy by "the shirt" in "Phantoms", making it look like it is a shirt and it is cloth. At the same time, everything folds out and transforms when he goes battle bot mode. ...some kind of nanite tech? Dunno.
Blame it on unstable molecules.

[QB]BTW, im in ur blog, stalkn u on elJay. Heh heh. (But don't worry, I don't bite. Usually. laugh )
B-but... I'M THE LURKER HERE.

<span style="font-size: 10px;">NOW IT'S ON.</span>

wink

#128985 12/04/06 06:59 AM
Straya Offline OP
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
I make absolutely no apologies for this.

[Linked Image]

<span style="font-size: 10px;">NOW IT'S ON.</span>

wink
"Now it's on, on 'til the break of dawn!" (Apologies for that much to Dane Cook... And I probably WILL be up until the break of dawn and after...)

#128986 12/04/06 04:57 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Brainy looks way too musculer and old than I would have liked but it's still pretty cool. love how you drew the fork too.

"He's doomed. We all are. Oh, wanna hear a joke?"

"I'm always thinking about you. Because according to the restraining order, that's all I'm allowed to do."
#128987 12/04/06 05:41 PM
O
Substitute
Substitute
O
*tries not to laugh*

*fails* lol, that's great. I so gotta try that now. I'm known for doing ridiculously stupid things with my friends.

Places to contact me-
DeviantArt: Elementalist-1
HEATBLAST.NET: LexiT
Yahoo: meranova
#128988 12/04/06 05:52 PM
Reservist
Reservist
*shakes head like crazy* NO!! my sister accidentaly put a TWIST TIE in the microwave and it caught on FIRE!! A fork will probably blow it up!

"I'm always thinking about you. Because according to the restraining order, that's all I'm allowed to do."
#128989 12/04/06 06:05 PM
Substitute
Substitute
lol, cool!

"Do, or do not. There is no try." -Yoda
#128990 12/04/06 07:19 PM
Straya Offline OP
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Brainy looks way too musculer and old than I would have liked but it's still pretty cool. love how you drew the fork too.
Well, I will continue to play with the design...as well as designs with the other Legionnaires, more than likely. The thing is that while I CAN emulate the cartoon style decently, it's not MY style. Even if I drew him younger looking and forced it, he probably would still look a bit different than what's in the show. And truth be told, playing around like this is a lot more fun than drawing the same designs over and over again, especially when I haven't hit up on any real ideas for full on illustrated scenes or anything. ^_^;;

(Brainy Battlebot now in the works...)

#128991 12/04/06 09:28 PM
O
Substitute
Substitute
O
*shakes head like crazy* NO!! my sister accidentaly put a TWIST TIE in the microwave and it caught on FIRE!! A fork will probably blow it up!
I already broke a plate and blamed the microwave, I wanna see what else I can get away with, lol. It was one of my mom's expensive Longaberger plates...like Longaberger baskets...If they're known for making baskets why should they make/sell pottery? ANYWAY, I know some other things you could put in a microwave that you shouldn't...^_^

Places to contact me-
#128992 12/04/06 10:44 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Well, I will continue to play with the design...as well as designs with the other Legionnaires, more than likely. The thing is that while I CAN emulate the cartoon style decently, it's not MY style. Even if I drew him younger looking and forced it, he probably would still look a bit different than what's in the show. And truth be told, playing around like this is a lot more fun than drawing the same designs over and over again, especially when I haven't hit up on any real ideas for full on illustrated scenes or anything. ^_^;;
Pleasepleasepleeeease continue playing with the style. I love seeing your interpretations of the design - they're so fun. And really, if all fanart tried to copy the original style exactly, then it'd get... kinda boring after a while.

(Besides, I like my Brains a little meatier. No, not as meaty as that. Or as that. Uh..)

Brainiac 5! What are you doing with a primitive hunk of trash like a microwave? Those belong in the dump. Either Legion HQ isn't as well funded as we think (R. J. a pinch-penny?!), or someone's antique collection just got knocked down a piece.

Archaic hilarity! I love his FACE.

#128993 12/04/06 11:06 PM
O
Substitute
Substitute
O
I kinda figured he was studying it...And someone decided to see what shouldn't go in it...

Places to contact me-
#128994 12/05/06 07:43 AM
Straya Offline OP
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Originally posted by Ojisan:
I kinda figured he was studying it...And someone decided to see what shouldn't go in it...
I probably should have used "microwave emitter", but for one...I was too brainfried. And two...the joke actually came to me out of a short Transfic I read a while back. I wish I could remember who wrote it, but if I find out, I'll post credit. Anyway... Decent sized explosion inside Autobot HQ and Wheeljack, mad scientist inventor and engineer, reports to Ratchet, Chief Autobot Medic. Ratchet, irritated to see his friend in shambles and suspecting some experimentation with explosives yet AGAIN, demands to know what happened. Wheeljack responds that, "Some fool put a fork in the microwave." ...of course, what use does a twenty foot tall alien robot have for a kitchen appliance like a microwave? XD

Pleasepleasepleeeease continue playing with the style. I love seeing your interpretations of the design - they're so fun. And really, if all fanart tried to copy the original style exactly, then it'd get... kinda boring after a while.
Oh, definitely will. Been toying with the idea of Christmas images, recently....

#128995 12/05/06 07:49 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Great stuff Straya! I'm glad you started your own thread to spotlight your talent! smile

#128996 12/05/06 04:56 PM
O
Substitute
Substitute
O
Originally posted by Ojisan:
[b]I kinda figured he was studying it...And someone decided to see what shouldn't go in it...
I probably should have used "microwave emitter", but for one...I was too brainfried. And two...the joke actually came to me out of a short Transfic I read a while back. I wish I could remember who wrote it, but if I find out, I'll post credit. Anyway... Decent sized explosion inside Autobot HQ and Wheeljack, mad scientist inventor and engineer, reports to Ratchet, Chief Autobot Medic. Ratchet, irritated to see his friend in shambles and suspecting some experimentation with explosives yet AGAIN, demands to know what happened. Wheeljack responds that, "Some fool put a fork in the microwave." ...of course, what use does a twenty foot tall alien robot have for a kitchen appliance like a microwave? XD
[/b]
I don't know, but it is funny ^_^

Places to contact me-
#128997 12/06/06 02:59 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors

[Linked Image]

What a dynamic pic Straya!

Great thread and I can't wait to see more of your talents!

#128998 12/06/06 05:39 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Just wanted to check in and thank you for the new images. I love it.

#128999 12/07/06 08:46 PM
Leader
Leader
Like Dean said smile
Originally posted by Sketch Lad:
Just wanted to check in and thank you for the new images. I love it.
Awesome work (as always)

Remember : It's not technically a suckerpunch if you yell ''DEFEND YOURSELF SPROCKER!'' two seconds before you let him have it.
#129000 12/13/06 01:05 PM
Straya Offline OP
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Okay, NON-LEGION art incoming...

I figured I would go ahead and post this here, however, because it's an image of my lycanthrope avatar, Aestraya. She usually wears almost full, high-tech body armor, but I worked this version out to have her sporting Wastelander style gear from Jak 3.

[Linked Image]

Her ears are supposed to be more tiger-like, but I went ahead and extended them to look like Jak's people's ears.

I'm sort of hoping I can turn this into a series-kinda thing on the side, as I'd like to do a Legion version of my online persona as well.

#129001 12/16/06 02:04 AM
Substitute
Substitute
No one's commented yet? Odd - though maybe just for the fact it isn't Legion? Either way, despite not being the biggest fan of most anthro art, I like your drawing style and I love the outfit. That, and a decent handle on anatomy! It's so little to ask for, and yet so very important.

That expression is the same one my cats give, every day of their lives.

#129002 12/17/06 08:24 PM
Straya Offline OP
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
No one's commented yet? Odd - though maybe just for the fact it isn't Legion? Either way, despite not being the biggest fan of most anthro art, I like your drawing style and I love the outfit. That, and a decent handle on anatomy! It's so little to ask for, and yet so very important.

That expression is the same one my cats give, every day of their lives.
Yeah, wasn't sure how it would be taken since it's not Legion, but it is my avatar, so I figured I'd post it. I've been working on a Legion version of her, as well as finishing the Brainy Battlebot I began a little while ago, but it's been a really rough week. It might be a bit longer before I post anything of real interest, again. =/ Thanks for taking the time to comment, though!

#129003 12/17/06 09:08 PM
Reservist
Reservist
I just didn't feel right commenting on it since I had no idea what it was. Can't wait to see the finished Brainy Battlebot though.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,040
Posts1,047,460
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
GayTitan
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Superboy2000
Superboy2000
Amarillo, Texas
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star