Roll Call
1 members (Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad), 52 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LVI - Little Vi?
by Gaseous Lad - 09/27/24 04:16 PM
UFO (1970)
by profh0011 - 09/27/24 03:17 PM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by Boy Kid Lad - 09/27/24 01:44 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 09/27/24 01:54 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 09/26/24 07:49 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 09/26/24 07:45 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 09/26/24 06:54 PM
Rejected Ideas for Inane MMB Threads...
by rickshaw1 - 09/26/24 05:41 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 26 of 35 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 34 35
Re: Project Runway: Legion World!
#127566 08/24/05 06:30 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Aaaand, as it happens sometimes while I'm coloring something I get inspired to do something a little different with a piece. Cru's latest Cobalt Kid was one of those. The setting, the pose, the look on Cobie's face.

So, anyhow, long story short here's the retro-hip Cobalt Kid Film Noir Remix.

[Linked Image]

#127567 08/24/05 06:47 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
To say I'm loving it is beyond an understatement. These are by far my fave Cobalt Kids EVER!!!

Love your first coloring job Lou! My ego might be getting in the way here (not that that ever happens), but I want to say that this is the best Cru/Lou team-up job ever! It just fits all so well, and colors bring out so much more in the picture! And I think that's my favorite costume yet!

As for the film noir--I'm speechless. It's too awesome for words. I love how you made the blinds closed too--a really cool, subtle touch. As a big fan of film noir/detective stories, I absolutely love it. I think I'm going to put that in the first post of the Security Office thread.

#127568 08/24/05 06:50 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Loser Lad:
Originally posted by legionadventureman:
[b] Urmm, Lou? Can you make me a drawing that makes me look like Celebrand from the Wanderers - that's (unfortunately) closer to me than Joey's lean-mean hero machine...

Brian
Sorry Bri, but I told you I can't draw to save my life. If someone else draws one and posts it I'd be happy to try and color it. [/b]
Lou, thank you for your remarks, but i was able to cajole Luna into doing a "mini-me" as Celebrand and the end result is spectacular!

Cheers,

Brian

#127569 08/24/05 07:00 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
My ego might be getting in the way here (not that that ever happens)...
No, no. That NEVER happens...

[Linked Image]

...but I want to say that this is the best Cru/Lou team-up job ever!
I've got to say I agree with you there! I was pretty happy with the way it turned out.

As for the film noir--I'm speechless. It's too awesome for words. I love how you made the blinds closed too--a really cool, subtle touch. As a big fan of film noir/detective stories, I absolutely love it. I think I'm going to put that in the first post of the Security Office thread.
laugh Glad you like it Des! I couldn't help myself. I had to do it! It just fit so well with the picture. When I was coloring it I kept thinking how much Cobie looked like a young Robert Mitchum in the drawing (add a cleft chin and it's dead on), and it just kind of rolled from there.

The blinds were a given for a Noir look (although I'm still a little disappointed that I couldn't figure out a good way to cast a blinds-shadow across Cobie himself). I made a couple of other subtle changes, like taking out the computer monitor and adding a Noir-cliche burning cigarette in his hand.

And I was going for a neon sign effect with the name. Not sure it that comes across as well as I would have liked. If the file size wouldn't be ridiculously huge I'd have made it into an animated .gif with the sign blinking on and off. But maybe that's getting a little too carried away... wink

#127570 08/24/05 07:09 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Luna:
Here ya go LAM: [Linked Image]
Here it is Lou, the Celebrand drawing i mentioned, i hope you like it too

Brian

#127571 08/24/05 07:15 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
It's cool Bri. Luna does good work!

#127572 08/24/05 07:16 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Loser, those are just AWESOME!

I love the new background in the Disaster Boy pic (I wasn't really happy with the background in the original).

And the two Cobie pics look incredible! I love the new cityscape you added (much better than what was there and much more in line with what I wanted). The thing I like about your touches are the fact that they enhance what was there without really changing what was drawn.

The film noir one is just awesome. I never would have thought of it, but you are right that it lends itself very naturally to an old Sam Spade type photo. I should have drawn the trenchcoat Cobie costume instead wink

And I must admit that the Cobie pic definitely is the best Loser/Cru collaboration thus far. In fact, it's now displayed on my desktop smile

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#127573 08/24/05 07:36 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Thanks for the kind words!

As far as the background stuff goes, I've said before on a couple of occasions that I'm really not happy with my background coloring. I usually just alter and chop together elements from pics I find on the web, which is what I did with the Disaster Boy pic. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The lightning was from a pic I snagged off the web. I modified the colors so it looked more pinkish and threw it over a cloud filter layer. The rubble he's standing on was from a separate pic, and I pretty much just cranked the brightness way down and added a little shading. It turned out way better that way than anything I would have been able to create from scratch.

For the cityscape in the color Cobie pic I used a piece of an old computer generated wallpaper (created by someone else, unfortunately I don't remember where I got it or who created it) that I had saved on my computer. Incidentally that's the same cityscape that I used for the background of one of the Justice Circle cover mockups I did for your drawing of one of Viv's characters a few months back. In that one I modified it so it came out blue, like the city at night time. That one's back a few pages in my gallery if you want to compare the two.

Anyway, I'm really glad you liked them Cru!

#127574 08/24/05 10:34 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
The wood grain on the desk is a nice touch, too smile

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#127575 08/24/05 01:41 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I have to agree this is one of the best Loser / Cru collaberations ever.

I think you two are really starting to jell and create a distinct look.

I would love to see a small spellbinder strip (comic strip boys, get your minds out of the gutter) wink with colours by Loser featuring the LMB.

Faithfull
#127576 08/24/05 01:55 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Loser has always enjoyed Spellbinder strips wink

#127577 08/24/05 03:23 PM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
Who doesn't?? wink

No, seriously, the Project Runway thread is sexin' as always!!

#127578 08/24/05 05:58 PM
Sorceress
Sorceress
Oh, Lou, these are magnificent (screw spelling), your coloring is so alive, I love seeing it!

And to show I bear no ill will, I, too, shall bestow a gift...
#127579 08/24/05 08:26 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Okay, I am the very first to admit that I am no kind of artist. I know this looks like something drawn by a six-year old, but this is my first representation of Rockhopper Lad.

The gold bands at the shoulders, the red triangle on the chest and white diamond on the abdomen are meant to be an abstract representation of a rockhopper penguin.

If anyone cares to embellish this in any way, please feel free.

[img]http://www.geocities.com/merulloja/Protorockhopper.bmp[/img]

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#127580 08/25/05 12:33 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Luna:

Speaking of MEL, here he is: [Linked Image]
Brilliant! Yay! Thanks Luna! I'm gonna go play with my new doll now...

#127581 08/25/05 12:45 AM
Sorceress
Sorceress
You're welcome, wasn't sure if you wanted the white eyes, so here ya go: [Linked Image]

#127582 08/25/05 12:50 AM
Leader
Leader
Oooh! Two dolls, the regular and ultra exclusive variant edition! Highly collectible tongue

Thanks again...

#127583 08/26/05 06:16 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Wow, these are SO COOL! I love them all! smile

#127584 08/26/05 09:47 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
If anyone cares to embellish this in any way, please feel free.

Well then... how's this? wink

click to enlarge

Here's where my inspiration came from: I looked up "rockhopper penguin" on Google, and got a couple of images. Now, the funky looking eyebrows are kinda like what the penguins have over their eyes... feathers? Eyebrows? Then I tried to mimic the abstract penguin you did for the chest insignia. The white section of the costume is meant to give it a more penguin-like appearance. Now, I imagined you having something that would allow you to move penguin-like across arctic conditions, so I figured that your boots could sprout either little skis or flippers.

I hope the pose is okay. This is yet another new pose for me, so I make no guarantees that anything looks exactly right smile

#127585 08/26/05 10:07 AM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
Oooh, he kind of reminds me of the current Hourman (whose costume I love ) without the hood. ^_^ Awesome possum Cru~

#127586 08/26/05 10:14 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Oh yeah... that's why that seemed so familiar to me when I was doing it. I was just thinking that the forearms and shins needed something to offset the black smile

#127587 08/26/05 11:10 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Cru, I think this is another one of your best ever, and a ton of that has to do with the dynamic pose you've got him in, and the diverse way he looks (facially and costume).

I feel like you're hit a Silver Age or something with how dynamic your pics are getting!

Rokkhopper Lad suddenly has a very original feel to him!

#127588 08/26/05 11:50 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Tanx, Cobie Cakes. I'm definitely trying to branch out more, both in poses and backgrounds. I spent such a long time using my "stock poses" that I feel my art was becoming very stale. Even though they all looked different, they still felt very same old-same old to me.

I've collected a wide range of artwork off the web that is giving me reference material to use so that I can start widening my range a bit. The Rockhopper pose came from a George Perez drawing I found recently. I used that to get a basis positioning of the figure, and then used my other research to expand on that linework.

Originally I had him hopping over a rock (clever, huh? wink ), but as the picture progressed I decided to modify that to doing a sort of ski jump. I thought that might make more sense in the whole "penguin protector" angle smile

#127589 08/26/05 12:48 PM
Sorceress
Sorceress
Nice job, Spellbinder! Rockhopper looks fabulous!

#127590 08/26/05 05:56 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Spellbinder:
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
[b] If anyone cares to embellish this in any way, please feel free.

Well then... how's this? wink

click to enlarge

Here's where my inspiration came from: I looked up "rockhopper penguin" on Google, and got a couple of images. Now, the funky looking eyebrows are kinda like what the penguins have over their eyes... feathers? Eyebrows? Then I tried to mimic the abstract penguin you did for the chest insignia. The white section of the costume is meant to give it a more penguin-like appearance. Now, I imagined you having something that would allow you to move penguin-like across arctic conditions, so I figured that your boots could sprout either little skis or flippers.

I hope the pose is okay. This is yet another new pose for me, so I make no guarantees that anything looks exactly right smile [/b]
Spellbinder, even without the colouring, your artwork is glorious! Rockhopper Lad is my favourite!

Page 26 of 35 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 34 35

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,055
Posts1,048,827
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
minesurfer
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Calybos
Calybos
Norcross, GA
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star