Roll Call
0 members (), 16 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 01:31 PM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by Set - 09/28/24 12:27 PM
Why love the legion?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:24 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:19 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:16 AM
Kill This Thread LVI - Little Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:15 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes #31 - Spoilers!
#12335 06/29/07 01:06 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Lallor.

I remember it being mentioned in the early issues. Were they having a war?

#12336 06/29/07 01:10 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
Well Brin did get out of the hospital. I do think his personality did seem forced.

The actual members voted...but all the fans voted as well. That is why people like Supergirl and Ultra Boy got votes. It was like American Idol.
Or the membership was just tired of Brainy vs. Cos. It could have played out like a political convention where there is no favorite, but all the voters have candidates that they can't stand. When it looks like someone is taking the lead, the voters will all look for the third or fourth place guy that no one really wanted to win but is so boring and non offensive that get the votes.

So Brainy voters knowing he couldn't win and fearing a Cos or Lightning Lad victory switched to Supergirl while Cos voters that disliked Lightning Lad (seeing Garth in the lead) also deserted him for Supergirl giving her a large margin of victory.

The election of Bouncing Boy in the cartoon is also a good example of how this might play out. Nothing wrong with this election system, real life is full of examples of politicians making a career by being boring and non-offensive.

#12337 06/29/07 01:30 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
Lallor.

I remember it being mentioned in the early issues. Were they having a war?
In issue #1, the Sci-Cops were slaughtering kids on Lallor until the Legion intervened. I take it Lallor is a totalitarian regime and the assassins will be "good guys", kind of.

#12338 06/29/07 08:05 PM
A
Active
Active
A
Well, at least someone caught that Saturn Girl was not supposed to go to Lallor in time to re-color her as "Atom Girl."

Brin seems suddenly more in-your-face than previously to me as well.

I appreciate Supergirl as a leader if only because she is not Cosmic Boy and thus is prone to action instead of yammering.

Everyone watching out for Brainy's manipulations was tedious before and remains so.

In any case, most of what I didn't like was that this remains the WAK version of the legion. Which, as near as I can tell is a bunch of underagers doing whatever they can to not be the Legion of Super-Heroes.

Aside from that, it's nice to see someone attempt to move into three different plot-streams to keep the action moving along.

#12339 06/29/07 09:22 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I didn't care for the art. I kept imagining all the potential eye candy since this was a fairly quiet issue, and was let down.

As for the plot, I'm willing to wait and see. I'm curious... that's a good thing.

#12340 06/30/07 01:58 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Just a crazy thought... what if the President of Lallor is R. J. Brande?

#12341 06/30/07 10:44 AM
Substitute
Substitute
I thought the art was teetering between uninspired and ugly (Why, hello there, knobbly potato noses! And did Lyle get his funky alien arm stuck in an oversized soft drink can in that hospital?), and some of the "witty” banter made me groan ("Don't melt a motherboard." "Timber Wolf rides again." confused ), but otherwise I liked this issue.

For one, I enjoyed people’s characterisation this time around, although I have to admit that some of them sure did behave in ways which absolutely don’t gel with the way they were portrayed before. Talking to you here, Brin. I do, however, like the more assertive Star Boy, and Supergirl struck me as genuinely likeable for the first time instead of coming across as only masquerading as sweet only to later spout the same snippy one-liners as everybody else.

What also made a difference for me was that when someone was acting unfavourably this time around (e.g. Brainy, Bin) their behaviour was at least acknowledged as such (by Projectra, Dream Girl) instead of being portrayed as a completely normal way of interaction, or simply being glossed over, which I feel was the usual procedure, especially when it comes to Legionnaires vs. non-legionnaires, or, god forbid, vs. adults.

Similarly, people were still laying into each other, but this time I did get the impression that this was less because that’s how they roll in their “edgy” youthfulness, and more because there were actually important issues at stake which they cared about. I’m not going to deny that a lot of those fighting with each other are partially motivated by their own ego, but I had the overall feeling that restoring order was their first priority, even if they think themselves and their plans best-suited to achieve that. Kind of a difference to before, where every crisis seemed to take a backseat to the “Ha! I’ll show YOU!” attitude even the good guys had towards each other.

Last but not least prior events were finally being acknowledged again (such as Orando’s destruction and its repercussions) and I got the impression that the story was about to move forward again now. I’m also intrigued by Mr. Tenzil Kem, Special Prosecutor.

Good show.

#12342 06/30/07 01:05 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Just a crazy thought... what if the President of Lallor is R. J. Brande?
Probably not him. R.J. was a blow hard, the president of Lallor's name is "Khuxhrd". Try saying it out loud.

#12343 06/30/07 01:40 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Wasn't it Khux4rd, like General Tolling4rd?

Still... I agree that it's incredibly unlikely.

#12344 06/30/07 02:55 PM
A
Active
Active
A
So, looking at the covers for the upcoming issues, they certainly don't completely match the make up of the teams.

I wonder if that is the usual cover-not-mattering issue, was a late change in team composition, or if maybe those characters depicted get a chance to shine regardless of them not being on the same teams. Naturally, I am hoping for the third option, but won't count on it.

Also, after some thought regarding Supergirl as leader. It almost seems like the only choice to make if you are focused on the perspective of a new reader. Virtually no other legionnaire has gotten any characterization for months now. Unless you have three boots of history under your belt, who else are you supposed to vote for? And, deep down, I'm not sure I have a problem with Supergirl overshadowing this version of the Legion. It's not a way to get me to like them, but it's a good way to get me to ignore how I don't like them.

#12345 06/30/07 04:07 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
[QB]Tsktsk.

Also, Brin has never been shown with a foul temper or violent streak before in this version, has he? He seems more of the cool, sarcastic (oh wait, EVERYBODY ON THE TEAM is sarcastic!) somewhat of a loner type. But still looking forward to Brin, Vi and Shady.QB]
I never got that impression at all, and Star Boy's comments this issue confirmed it for me. He's always seemed the quieter, more thoughtful Legionairre to me- sort of the Element Lad of the last 'boot.

The typos/colouring/art issues were too numerous to ignore this time around. It doesn't speak well for the the team's run on the title. (it's 6 issues, right?) That puts us to the end of 2007, and I'm not expecting much after that.

I don't like Supergirl as the leader, but there was no way Star Boy, Element Lad, or Triplicate Girl was going to get the job. (BTW- any follow up to Trip's inability to duplicate?)

The story wasn't bad, I liked Tenz's intro. Seeing everyone bicker and then Kara step up was good. Dream Girl's role in the book is still a favourite. I've just had too many dark figures watching from the shadows in the last 2 weeks.

The Lallor group- were we suppose to recognize any of them?

Just spouting off.
#12346 06/30/07 07:00 PM
MYG Offline
Active
Active
This crap has to end!!! I'd rather see a two month delay, rather than the careless "stuff" that DC is allowing to be published. I blame the editors for allowing this unprofessional work to be unchallenged. How can you have such disregard for the fans and readership to allow so many mistakes to go unnoticed. I think a previous poster was correct in saying you probably have an obligation to publish until the 50th anniversary, and then?!?... The cover was the ONLY positive thing this issue had going for it. I've put up with the constant reboots, and retelling of history, but if you people couldn't care less about the title, then delay publication (and I mean DELAY NOT CANCEL)until you get a team of creators that truly care. I've been a Legion fan for over 27 years, please have some respect for us and take pride in the work you put out every month!!! This is complete and unacceptable garbage and if you continue this mess, the comic industry as we know it will cease to exist!!!

Long Live the Legion!!!
#12347 07/01/07 10:32 PM
Active
Active
First off, I groaned when I saw the Supergirl was elected leader, I am soooo over her as a character. One, I was hoping she would be leaving this book SOON, two, I think it would nice to have some focus on one of the other twenty-odd characters in this book and three, she really really annoys me. Heck, the idea that she is joining the Titans is what decided it for me that I was dropping that book.

That said, I've decided to wait and see, I took Legion off my pull list but I'll continue to play it by ear. Maybe Supergirl will be so busy being leader (paperwork and all) that the rest of the team will get to do SOMETHING productive. and this issue hinted at that with the teams going off and Supergirl not being a part of one of them.

Plus side... stuff happened at least. I mean, the Legion, for I think the first time, was actually proactive in something rather than just sit around and wait for Earth to be threatened.

Other good things, well, nothing was too bad. the editorial slip ups were annoying and made me think DC really does care less (and makes we wonder yet again why I bother, call me an optimist I guess) but for Bedard's first real issue it wasn't too bad, needs a bit of work with the characterization (they all felt a little forced) but at least he is setting things up to happen.

Art was awful but that dead horse has been beaten.

Bad things...well, I really don't like a lot of what Waid set up. For one, I don't get Mekt, I don't see why he should be looking for Cos. What's his motivation? what is up with him and Garth (but apparently not Ayla)? All we were told is that because he is a single he is expected to go psycho and his brother and sister essentially stalked him? Arg, I kind of wish him and the Wanderers had just wandered away because I feel that at this point they bring nothing to the Legion mythos. Oh, and Mekt does need a hair color change.

Offering membership to terror firma and the wanderes, as others had pointed out, some of them are simply criminals, and others are simply punks (like "plant kid" and "poloar boy"). I feel that a bit more...selection should go into Legion members. Also, as much as I want to see some old faves return, the rest of the team is still to under-characterized to have new members join, I would prefer they all went to limbo for awhile why the Legion gets established.

The team make-ups, I don't like Mekt and I don't see the point of him getting spotlight, Star boy is Cos' right hand man? since when, he always looked like Cos' whipping boy to me. Sun Boy, needs new costume and, honestly, I would prefer to see a Legionnaire hadn't gone away get the focus.

Oh, and to beat another dead horse, did it crack anyone else up that the Legion seemed shocked that Cos would be called up for war crimes for annihilating a whole planet. Seriously, what did they expect? What type of ethics do they have in the 31st century?

Yeah, so lots of things in the negative side, but in all honesty I'll keep giving this book a shot. Most of the issues I have is with how the 3boot was set up with or where Waid took it before jumping ship, it looks like Bedard will at least give us more action and hopefully more characterization. Hopefully by next issue he will have a better voice for the Legion.

Here's also hoping that they don't do stupid stuff just to 'shock' us (like making BB a villain or turning Jeckie into a snake). So even though I was disappointed with some developments (like Supergirl still being in the title) I feel that a new writer can be a fresh start and this Legion needs a fresh start.

Long Live the Legion!
#12348 07/02/07 12:17 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Man, it's a rough crowd here.

This was an enjoyable issue for me, and if it hadn't been titled a "prologue" at the end, I would have said it was pretty good.

The art WAS uneven, but the first few pages with Dream Girl and Brainy looked good to me. Sharpe really captured Barry's Dream Girl, I think.

I didn't find Timber Wolf's behavior to be out of character, nor Projectra's for that matter, and Jeckie looked good. "3 biggest mothersprockers" totally rocked.

As other posters noted, the conflict between characters seemed more legitimate and organic this issue.

The Tenzil introduction was NOT lame, it was a fun nod to the Superman mythos. And Tenzil's portrayal was fun without being over the top.

I don't know that I buy the Lallor rebel as Chuck, but clearly his assassin is Wildfire.

Overall, Bedard's scripting was great, a good successor to Waid and an improvement in some respects.

However, there is one glaring, universe shaking inconsistency that I don't think anyone else has noticed:

Why on Earth would a society that shuns personal contact to this extent have a "Metropolis Convention Center"?!?!?!?

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#12349 07/02/07 04:04 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
This issue was just another dose of what the storytelling has been from the start - a lot of nothing. While I'm inclined to give slack through the artistic team transition period, this title needs a tight, well scripted story Real Soon.

I question adding Tenzil, plus some "Wanderers", plus some criminal "Terror Formers" to the team, plus Wildfire and Bouncing Boy, when everything is still all over the place. Making Supergirl new leader was a smart move by DC IMO, or the sales of this title would probably drop into the low 20K's.

I think the opportunity was missed here to see some of the Legionnaires on rescue duty (the starving earth citizens missing their tech? A.I. virus, guys? Heroes... help... out...) But aside from Supergirl we saw none of it. The Legionnaires seemed to be just slumming around HQ waiting for the election results. Ho hum.

Please, please, please - go to the Cary Bates writing formula: Pick five Legionnaires, send them away from HQ on a mission, and concentrate on those characters and their interaction alone for an entire issue. You can add a bad guy or two if necessary. Then do it again with five different Legionnaires in the following issue. Three-five issues like this and maybe we'll know who some of these characters are and actually care about them. Right now they might as well be Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew for all I care.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#12350 07/03/07 04:08 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
This was a disappointing issue. I just picked it up today and read it at lunchtime.

The story had a Waid-like "miscellaneous-unresolved-tidbits" characteristic -- without Waid's crisp dialog. Hopefully when Bedard gets into a fully self-created arc, he'll distinguish himself as something other than Waid's replacement.

Sharpe's artwork was uneven -- as it was the last time he filled in. I suspect this was a short-notice fill in job -- as was the last time. Nevertheless, the pages that should have been given a best effort didn't seem to get it -- like the page 1 roll call page.

it started the issue off on a low note. On the other hand, I like Sharpe's Supergirl. I think he'd potentially be a good artist to handle that title.

I don't have other issues with me right now, so I don't know if this was Mike Marts' and Jeanine Schafer's first editing experience with this title. I can't imagine editing this title is easy for anyone who has not followed the whole WaK run, but that's no excuse for the myriad oversights in this issue.

I can hold on to my hope for an issue or two that things are going to get better, but I have this gut feeling that we're cruising toward the end of this incarnation of title. And, to me, that'd be a shame. I think WaK created an interesting Legion-verse here. I just feel like 52 and mega crisis crossover mania at DC kept Waid from focusing on this title.

#12351 07/03/07 05:23 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Mike Marts announced last Friday he was leaving Countdown to go devote all his energies to the Batman titles. I assume this means he's leaving the editorship of LSH, too. So it's likely in editorial limbo for a while until they reshuffle the cards.

#12352 07/03/07 05:24 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
*raises hand*

I'll do it for free DC!

#12353 07/03/07 05:35 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
*raises hand*

I'll do it for free DC!
I already volunteered my services but, of course, they've ignored me. Maybe I ought to write a snail mail to Levitz instead.

#12354 07/05/07 01:37 AM
Active
Active
Here's the difference. I read the JLA/JSA/Legion crossover and that Legion still resonates days after putting down the final chapter. Legion #31? -Other than the disappointing Supergirl as leader, it was completely forgettable until I read these posts. This Legion is bound to hit its bumps while the newest writers/artists take over since the orginators of this version departed, but how long will I have to wait to get as excited about the Legion as I did for the Lightning Saga?

#12355 07/05/07 01:58 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I celebrated the latest issue of S&LSH by ending my 6 or 7 year love affair with the Legion. It felt too much like an abusive relationship that was going nowhere and only costing me money. I'm not quite sure how Legion got so bad, but admittedly my heart hasn't been in it since their retconned my boy into the groups' token (and a barely communicative one at that), and shoehorned the strikingly uninteresting Supergirl into an already lacklustre title.

I suppose the LSH creators shouldn't feel too bad as I cancelled 7 DC titles mostly on the strength of their editorial mismanagement and careless slaughter of Bart Allen. I'll be damned if I'm gonna fall for their tricks again.

Anyhoo... smile

PS I really thought I'd feel more when I cancelled S&LSH, but I guess it's a mark of how bad I feel things have gotten that all I feel is relief.

EDIT: Holy frejoles! It's not 6 or 7 years! It's 13 or 14! eek

Wayne@OZ
#12356 07/05/07 04:44 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I agree with most posters here. The Waid reboot has faile. I didn't have much hope when it was announced, because i've mostly been disappointed by Waid's writing in the past and i stuck to it mai nly because I adore Barry Kitson's art. Adding Supergirl to the mix has made things worse, and Bedard's story this past issue has been dismal.
Oddly enough, it feels like an "end of series" story, like we've seen so many times when a book is about to be cancelled or rebooted and nobody really cares editorially anymore.

Add to that the fact that Marts has said in a few interviews that he was editor for "Legion of Super-Heroes", and i really think yet-another-reboot-new-series-change-of-direction is going to take place after those six months... 2 Months after that is the 50th anniversary of the Legion...

After having seen the "old" Legion back in JLA/JSA, even if the story was mostly disapppointing, it was just so good to see OUR Legionnaires back, and I think that even for people who didn't know the old Legion, the choice of characters and interaction among them (so Levitz-like) made them quite popular. I've spoken to a few people for whom it was their first contact with the pre-Z"ro Hour Legion, and they all thought it was far better than the newest incarnation.

I know that the JLA/JSA crossover made me re-buy a whole bunch of old Legion issues (I had sold all my collection, disgusted at Zero Hour and the archie legion) and so many years after, it's still brilliant.

So, with another appearance of the Lightning saga Legion in Action comics, plus the release of the Legion of Super-villains PPB.... Is DC preparing for the return of our favorites? I know it's a long shot, but DC's TPB policy is mostly motivated by their general editorial direction...

After having bought legion 250-354, I now need the Baxter Legion and the 5YL series to buy again LOL

Ze Frainch Legion fan
#12357 07/05/07 11:20 AM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
I vote for Nightcrawler and Lightning Lad as co-editors!

But first, you MUST pass the editorial quiz:

1) What color is Shadow Lass' skin?
2) What color is Phantom Girl's skin?
3) What color is Polar Boy's skin?
4) What planet does Lightning Lad (comic character, not would-be editor) come from?

If you can score 75% or better, you more than qualify for the job! Good luck!

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#12358 07/05/07 11:38 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Pariscub, i agree it is reading much like Gail Simone's arc in the previous Legion book.

And I've also seen new fans really ask about the legion that appeared in the JSA/JLA xover. As in why aren't DC publishing that Legion. The same question we've been asking for decades. wink

#12359 07/05/07 11:53 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
1) What color is Shadow Lass' skin? Blue
2) What color is Phantom Girl's skin? Caucasian
3) What color is Polar Boy's skin? Caucasian
4) What planet does Lightning Lad (comic character, not would-be editor) come from? Winath

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,056
Posts1,048,840
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star