Roll Call
0 members (), 23 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/25/24 05:38 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 06/25/24 04:30 PM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Gaseous Lad - 06/25/24 03:00 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 06/25/24 02:00 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/25/24 01:13 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/25/24 07:48 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/25/24 03:19 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/25/24 03:18 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes #31 - Spoilers!
#12310 06/27/07 07:46 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Heck, if the solicitation matches the inside, we're doing pretty well... wink
lol

Someone ought to go through the solicitations and covers and compare to what was published. I wonder what their batting average would be?

#12311 06/27/07 09:38 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Ultra Boy:
Quick note by my 8 year old son on the election results....

Braniac 5 - 7%

Cosmic Boy - 23%

Lightning Lad - 26%

Supergirl - 54%

= 110%!!

Wow math sure changed in the future!!!

UltraBoy3
Perhaps Supergirl stopped off in Cook County Illinois back in 1968 and in Florida back in the year 2000 to collect some friends to go to the future with her?

#12312 06/28/07 12:05 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Still reading the issue but did anyone else notice that they messed up Garth and Mekt's word balloons on page 10. Where Mekt tells Garth he's always been a sore loser. Either that or they mis-colored their uniforms.

#12313 06/28/07 12:25 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Yeah. I was confused for awhile as to why Mekt thought he should've won the election.

#12314 06/28/07 12:50 AM
Reservist
Reservist
lame, lame, lame

i like how the supers are part of the legion. but having said that, for someone like supergirl to eclipse all the other legionnaires in what is still a legion book...man, that's unforgivable for me.

:-(

Igee The Mighty!
#12315 06/28/07 02:14 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Intriguing setup. Warning him of a "turning point", Dream Girl has Brainy manipulate Supergirl into sending three teams on wild goose chases. Goose chases they must be, because Nura of all sentients has to know Cosmic Boy won't be found in any of those destinations. The reason for forming teams of natural rivals isn't obvious, either, but the potential conflicts could make for some good storytelling.

To react to the most popular complaint first, I don't like Supergirl as leader and I hope her administration is dramatic and short (with the emphasis on *short*). On the other hand, I didn't think it was overblown or see how she "eclipsed" any the other characters in the story. Mekt outshone Kara, for one, as did Tenzil and Brainy in his dream scene. Bedard did a good balancing act with all the characters.

No, the dialogue didn't flow as naturally as it should have but the characters acted mostly, well, in character. Brainy is retreating from reality again. Brin's got a foul temper and a violent streak. Though Garth's resentment towards Kara seems forced (he's speaking for some fans, I suppose), the Dirk vs Mekt rivalry is promising. Tenzil also looks to be a match for Mekt (and was thankfully not overly "kewl"). The evil "Bouncing Boy" dude was a genius cameo. I want to see more of him soon. Best of all, Rokk "Big Mouth" Krinn is out of the picture.

Small touches like the Gobi (formerly desert) rain forest and the alien hermaphrodite doctor do make a difference.

Mekt and Garth mouthing each other's dialogue reminded me of the times they were mistakenly portrayed as twins. They way they're drawn this issue, they might as well be. Mekt needs a haircolor change pronto!

The art wasn't bad for a fill-in (Nura looked gorgeous) but I look for Dennis Calero to do something less conventional, sci-fi-ish next issue. The Ranzz farm kind of looked like the cartoon version, didn't it? Cheers to Barry on his final cover. You'll be missed.

I can't really judge by a one-issue "prologue", but while it doesn't look like a bold new direction, it's certainly not a setback, either.

#12316 06/28/07 09:12 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Expected a mediocre issue and got it. Artwork does not excite (may be too soon after Barry's to be judged fairly) and when the visuals in a mag are dull then the storyline could be penned by Dickens and I would still be disappointed. I hope better issues are on the way before sales totally tank.

#12317 06/28/07 09:35 AM
Leader
Leader
I was pleasantly surprised with the art. I like Supergirl in the Legion but don't want her name on the title. Everything else I was going to say has more or less been covered, including Ultra Boy beating me to the punch about the votes not adding up.

Oh, yeah. I HATE Sun Boy's new costume. Can he go back to his last one please?

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#12318 06/28/07 10:07 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Too many editorial mistakes for me to enjoy or endorse. Get an editor who cares or, maybe, even edits the book before it goes to press DC. Too many coloring mistakes on top of word balloons. Imra speaking out loud? That's more inexcusable than the mix up with Garth and Mekt's word balloons. Brainy is blonde, not brown or auburn or dirty dishwater (I think I counted at least three colors used).

This whole series is starting to feel like DC is just keeping an obligation to having the title published through the Legion's 50th. As long as the book is released they don't care about the content or accuracy. Kind of pisses me off that I wasted my time catching up on the last six months last night only to get this at the end.

#12319 06/28/07 10:40 AM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
I guess last month's reference that Ultra Boy was leading the election was just a rumor to get everyone worried (it worked!).

Just goes to show you not to call an election with only 1% of the votes tallied.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#12320 06/28/07 10:46 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Man I didn't like the art. In some panels it looks good but I didn't care for most of it. Ok, I liked the robot at the beggining. I think that is it.

The story was pretty good. I like Tenzil is a supporting character, not in costume, and his strengths are being used...his mouth and by that I mean talking. He is a comedian. Also like him as a lawyer. (Quick get Slott do do a She-Hulk/MEL comic!)

I like the offer to the Wanderers and Terror Firma. I really like the team of Timberwolf, Violet, and Shadow Lass. Three of my faves.

Real bad transition. In one panel they are on earth the next Lallor? We needed an encylopedia galactica (or whatever it's called) panel in there. Lallor? Are those rebel looking folk suppossed to be the Heroes of Lallor? Is that Evolvo in the Gobi? Is Wildfire going to be from Lallor now?

It was an all right issue. I am waiting Mr. Calero though see if he spruce's things up.

#12321 06/28/07 11:10 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Was that supposed to be Chuck leading the group on Lallor? Sure looked like it could have been but I don't know if it was intentional or not.

#12322 06/28/07 11:51 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I think the artist sometimes draws fat faces. Tenzil's face looked plump a few teams. Who knows though it might be Chuck?

#12323 06/28/07 12:12 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I'm really interested in the interaction between the reprentatives of the four factions (LSH, Terror Firma, Wanderers, U.P.) on Winath. I wouldn't have thought before this issue that Star Boy could hold his own against the others, but now I think he might have a chance.

#12324 06/28/07 12:24 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Still reading the issue but did anyone else notice that they messed up Garth and Mekt's word balloons on page 10. Where Mekt tells Garth he's always been a sore loser. Either that or they mis-colored their uniforms.
I can't tell the difference between Mekt and Garth so I didn't notice. smile

#12325 06/28/07 12:34 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I am suprised they still call themselves Terror Firma still. And it was nice to see Starboy get some respect...sort of.

#12326 06/28/07 12:43 PM
Deputy
Deputy
This book has been plagued with production mistakes from the beginning, from Lightning Lad's homeworld of Trom to Nura's yellow hair, from Shady's white skin last ish to inverted dialogue in this issue. I won't even bring up Phantom Girl's orange skin, hoping against hope that it represented a conscious (if strange) choice on the part of the creative team.

I can only conclude that this stuff is the result of a profoundly uninterested editorial team on the book, beginning with Wacker and continuing with Marts. Is the Legion among the hardest books to edit? Yes. Is it a more of detail-oriented, logistically complex exercise than say, Detective Comics? No doubt. Is it harder than the average issue of X-Men, or one of the increasingly numerous cross-company crossover blowouts? No. I don't think so.

this sort of thing happened alot in the old days, especially during creatively fallow periods (like the interregnum between Levitz I and Levitz II) and when the Legion appeared as guests in other books. That it happens over and over in the Legion's own book in 2007 reinforces concerns that DC is not seriously committed to the Legion as a property.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#12327 06/28/07 02:36 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Too many editorial mistakes for me to enjoy or endorse. Get an editor who cares or, maybe, even edits the book before it goes to press DC. Too many coloring mistakes on top of word balloons. Imra speaking out loud? That's more inexcusable than the mix up with Garth and Mekt's word balloons. Brainy is blonde, not brown or auburn or dirty dishwater (I think I counted at least three colors used).

This whole series is starting to feel like DC is just keeping an obligation to having the title published through the Legion's 50th. As long as the book is released they don't care about the content or accuracy. Kind of pisses me off that I wasted my time catching up on the last six months last night only to get this at the end.
You know ever since the beggining when Lightning Lad was from Winath? I knew DC was just dropping the ball with the Legion again. They thought "Waid/Kitson...no problem". The Legion should have an editor that just edits...the Legion. smile Am I ask for too much? Yes but ohwell.

#12328 06/28/07 03:54 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Maybe it's because I'm paranoid about the subject but I still believe the Lightning Lad from Trom error was intended as a creepy joke. I took the apology in the letter column as another joke. (Steve Wacker *is* from New Jersey)

I'm not going to dwell on the ones in this issue. They're stupid and deserve to be called out but I can see how they could happen. Some of the earlier coloring "mistakes" (yellow blonde Dreamy and orange Tinya) were, I believe, choices by the colorist. Bad choices, yes, but easily rectified.

DC's biggest act of disrespect (or stupidity, if you prefer) towards the Legion was letting Barry go to Marvel before he and Waid finished their work and, prior to that, not allowing DnA to complete theirs. Letting Olivier Coipel be kidnapped from under their noses by Marvel when he was producing some of the Legion's finest artwork wasn't any better.

That said, Bedard's stuff looks promising and it's a shame the talk about editorial bloopers is overshadowing the good in this issue. He shouldn't have to pay for someone else's mistakes.

#12329 06/28/07 06:19 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Well, for a lot of this Legion's run, Wacker was editing "52," which had to be a lot work. And now Marts is editing "Countdown," which also has to be a lot of work. A lot of these problems I suppose can be chalked up to 1) overworked editors and 2) the general decline of resources devoted to meticulous proof-reading (what editors used to do). I see this in my own work as well. Where have you gone, E. Nelson Bridwell?

Trom makes a great point about Barry and Olivier leaving. I guess I've just internalized the "Legion as 2nd class citizen" mentality that says of course any great artist would 1) not want to draw the Legion or 2) leave the book ASAP if you ARE drawing it for some higher profile gig.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#12330 06/28/07 08:08 PM
Active
Active
Yeah, this issue was a mess. Personally, I thought the art was extremely sub-par. Why does Supergirl have gorilla arms? Why does everyone have the same nose? Why do their eyes keep going blank? This is a fill-in artist right? The story didn't do much for me but wasn't too horrible. My biggest beef is with Projectra. Why doe she all of a sudden have Shady's personality/vernacular? As far as I remember, Jekie was a pretty formal speaker not prone to using contractions but in this issue I'm surprised she didn't sau "ain't". I'll give it another issue or two but right now, I'm considering dropping the book and spending my days reading back-issues.

Is that a moon?
#12331 06/29/07 05:21 AM
Active
Active
Yes It's the more ugly issue in this incarnation.
Why Brainy have the hair brown?
And the White Witch have the hair gray?
Saturn Girl talk! She say . What!
Too much mistakes for me...
Barry why you go?

From UK with glamour.
#12332 06/29/07 11:15 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Tsktsk.

Also, Brin has never been shown with a foul temper or violent streak before in this version, has he? He seems more of the cool, sarcastic (oh wait, EVERYBODY ON THE TEAM is sarcastic!) somewhat of a loner type. But still looking forward to Brin, Vi and Shady.

I'm just glad the vision of this version of Jo (I don't hate other version of Ultra Boy, I actually like some of them) in the LEAD has been erased. I like to think the Legionnaires collectively woke up, used their brains, realized who they were voting for and changed their votes!

#12333 06/29/07 12:26 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Well Brin did get out of the hospital. I do think his personality did seem forced.

The actual members voted...but all the fans voted as well. That is why people like Supergirl and Ultra Boy got votes. It was like American Idol.

#12334 06/29/07 12:55 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Well, if you've seen the most recent solicitiation, it's pretty clear where they're taking Brin's personality.

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004770

There've been a couple of clues in past issues, such as Brin seeking Brainy's help to control his rage.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,426
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Vee
Vee
Paragon City on patrol
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star