Roll Call
0 members (), 32 Murran Spies, and 81 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Moaning, Groaning, I just want to Vent thread
by Ann Hebistand - 10/07/24 02:27 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Boy Kid Lad - 10/07/24 01:02 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 10/07/24 11:37 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 10/07/24 03:31 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 13 AUGUST*
by Set - 10/07/24 12:25 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
That time Mary Marvel was brought to the 30th century by future youths!
#1039821 Yesterday at 07:43 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
Wow Comics #23 features Mary Batson in deadly danger from the evil Doctor Dwarf, who is has put her in a death trap in a sawmill because she's friends with Mary Marvel!

Anyway, she is rescued by being whisked to the future by a group of youngsters who are trying to recruit Mary Marvel to help with their youth revolution. While they unaware that Mary Batson is, in reality, Mary Marvel, they are happy when she shows up. Their whole revolution revolves around the fact that the education system has recently been changed, and instead of going to a traditional school to learn and socialize like traditional kids, they are forced by their robot caretakers to take pills which implant the knowledge in them. Anyway, Mary Marvel gets "mental indigestion" because the knowledge pills cause overload because she already knows all of the stuff or something, and Doctor Dwarf shows up and takes over the robots, but in the end the kids get to go back to school.

The reason for posting this thread is that there is a bit of proto-Adventure #247 feel to some of this, particularly in the bits where Mary is learning about the wonders of the "future playground", with things like gravity belts for the kids to swim in the air. There's no Nine Planets Ice Cream Parlor or anything, but still, it kind of parallels Superboy/Supergirl getting introduced to the amazing future stuff in their respective introductions to the Legion. It's not too obvious a connection, but it does suggest that Binder, who I assume wrote this, had at least a germ of what would become "The Legion of Super-Heroes" in mind as early as 1944. The whole "youth revolution" plot reminds me more of the threeboot Legion than anything we'd actually see in Adv. 247, however. Still, kind of fascinating as a bit of a possible build up to the series we love.

Re: That time Mary Marvel was brought to the 30th century by future youths!
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Great find EDE.

I was thinking revolutionary threeboot, where Supergirl would go for a time, and 247 as I was readin your post.

Since earlier stories were reworked for later tales, and if both were Binder, no reason to think that one didn't come from the other.

Also noted that it's a trio of kids who bring Mary into the future.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Wanderer
Wanderer

thoth lad #1039832 3 hours ago
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
Originally Posted by thoth lad
Also noted that it's a trio of kids who bring Mary into the future.

I didn't even notice that, or how closely they seem to match up with Rokk, Garth, and Imra!

Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
wow! so cool!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,058
Posts1,049,090
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024