Roll Call
3 members (thoth lad, thoth lad, King of Snake, thoth lad, King of Snake, King of Snake, King of Snake, thoth lad, thoth lad, thoth lad, thoth lad, Eryk Davis Ester, King of Snake), 16 Murran Spies, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LV - ain't Louis Vuitton
by thoth lad - 09/22/24 10:32 AM
What I found today at my LCS!
by thoth lad - 09/22/24 10:30 AM
What if the JLA had been the children of the JSA?
by thoth lad - 09/22/24 09:55 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 09/22/24 07:58 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 09/22/24 07:48 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 09/22/24 03:22 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 09/22/24 03:22 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/22/24 02:16 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 16 1 2 14 15 16
Re: What I found today at my LCS!
rickshaw1 #1036914 06/15/24 06:26 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Ouch. I agree with Ann. puns should be smooth, calm, and unexpected. The best ones make people get up and leave the room.

Okay, on with the story.

Green Latrine #12. Hal and Carol. Now, since I'm married to a Glorious Carol, I'd say he's once again got good taste. But the story is ...nice.

Power Girl #9. Okay story tie in, but messy art. Lots of Jim Lee detail on the characters, but backgrounds were barely there in many places.

The Flash #9. Gotta be honest, story is starting to lose me quick.

Nightwing #114. It's the old "the hero must fall to the bottom of the depths so that we can rise him up to show how great his is" trope.

And now the good stuff.

The Flash #277. This is right after the death of Iris. Barry was still dealing with the after effects of the Angel dust. Fun part of the overall storyline, and a great cover by the GREAT Dick Diordano. I had seen that cover for years, never had it before.

GL/GA #95. Barefaced Ollie on the Cover by Grell. GL in a favorite flight pose by Grell. ain't complainin.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1038434 08/10/24 01:30 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I didn't realize it had been so long since I had posted here.

Anyway, on with the listing.

Justice League of America, the Original Series. Issues number 117, Hawkman rejoins. Issue number 148, long time legion fans will know this issue as it guest stars the JSA and The LEGION of Super-hero's. Had it many years ago. It wore out, and I haven't seen it since except in collected books. Not in the best shape, but I don't buy for that, just to read. Issue number 188, Black Canary making many a young man and woman sit up and take notice. And, Issue number 217. A classic cover by Perez.

Classic Irony Man, numbers 149, and 255.

Superman Family number 198, with a great JLGL cover of Supergirl. I had seen it many times before in adverts, etc, but never in person. Hotpants Supergirl with the boob emblem. Her best costume as far as Im concerned.

New stuff-

Fire and Ice 6. I finally found the conclusion. Great covers, interior art a little simplistic for me, but still very fine.

Shazam #14, not an awful series, but not the best either.

Birds of Prey #12, kiddie art on the interior, but it matches the story, so that's cool by me.

And finally Zatanna, black label #1. I know it has some kinda title, but it's a variant cover, so I don't know what it is yet.

I love the older stuff, a bit leery of the Z story, she's been so mischaracterized in the last twenty years or so. I'll give it a chance.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1038435 08/10/24 01:56 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Welcome back, Rick!

Iron Man 149 -- wow, the first installment of "Doomquest!" I love that storyline! Ah, for the days when John Romita Junior could actually draw. But inker and co-writer Bob Layton still deserves the lion's share of the credit.

Birds of Prey -- the current storyline with the different realities has lost me, sad to say. Hopefully the next one will be better. I have faith in Kelly Thompson.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
rickshaw1 #1038441 08/10/24 04:12 PM
G
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
G
I actually kind of enjoyed the Zatanna story.

Interested in the Post-Zero Hour Reboot Legion? Check out:

The Reboot Legion Timeline

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

rickshaw1 #1038992 08/31/24 04:47 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Well, this week I got a mix of new, and some old ones I never had before, so, lets begin.

GL $14, current series. I'm not really into this summer crossover, so I honestly just skimmed that stuff, but the Durlan stuff wasn't bad.

Titans #14, current series. I'm sure that the crew will figure it out, but even in their own book the writers make it seem like they are still second best choice in the DC universe, even without a current JL.

Nightwing #117, I'm pretty sure a certain group of readers is gonna like this one, Especially one young lady here that really likes Dick. Now with a beard, which she seemed to favor on Cap in the last Avengers movie.

The Flash, #12, current series. Okay, listen, I'm a fan of the out there. Morrisons DP run, well, really anything by Morrison for the most part. Anything that seems off the beaten path. So, this should be right up my alley. But it's not playing that way with me. Yes, it's a good story, very "out there", but it seems...flat... to me. Nothing against the new writer, I don't know them from any other work, and I've never read interviews with him (I'm guessing), so it isn't personal. First few issues, really nice. But it's been running on now for a year....and looks to keep going. From the interviews i read about the "change in direction", I was expecting more stories with shorter duration but scifihorror. Not really getting that.

Power Girl #12. Great cover. No idea why she's in Valhalla.

And now the older stuff.

Well, I only had a few minutes in the store, so it was a quick search that yielded some old Flash. Issues # 302, 303, 326, and 327. Carmine's art was a bit stodgey to my young eyes at the time, and a little less dynamic than his first go around that literally jumpstarted the Silver Age of comics. But I'm older now and I can appreciate the workmanship and story telling craft in it.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1038998 09/01/24 02:32 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
some good stuff there, Rick! enjoy!

rickshaw1 #1039284 09/14/24 01:39 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Thanks, Ibby, I did.

On to today.

First, some new stuff, Justice Society #11, BoP #13, Shazam #15, and GL #15.

And then the good stuff.

Green Lantern #'s 124, 125, and 150 of Hal's first run. And DC Giant Four Star Spectacular #1 Featuring Superboy, Jay Garrick, Wonder Woman, and Katar Hol it looks like.

Not a huge get, but looks like a lot of fun.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1039433 Yesterday at 06:09 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Well, folks, it's all old stuff today, but no legion.

So, on with the show.

Green Lantern, the Silver/Bronze age run. And it's three of them I never had. Numbers 153, or Secret of the Star Cycle. Now, I know its probably about the life and death journey of a star, possibly effected by sentient machinations, hint the bomb on the cover... But my mind went o a sentient star riding a cosmic motorcycle through space. If I did lsd, this would probably be some trippy stuff.

GL #158. I've seen and remembered the cover of this issue for years, but never actually had or read it before. Don't know what it's about, but there's ah yaller space dragon, so some excrement bout ta go down.

GL #172, or ... "Judgement Day". Another one I never had before. But given the cover is by Gibbons, I'm guessing this leads up to the John Stewart era.

On to the Justice League, also Silver/Bronze age. More Silver I'm thinking.

First up, number 77, someone betrays the Justice League. I may be wrong, but from what I remember, this is the issue Snapper betrays the League to the Joker. But, I'm old. I may be not right.

JL #181..Or, Ollie pitches another fit. yeah, I get it, he's ground, they world or even cosmic at times. Never had this one before that I remember, but hey, looks like the one where he quits. And Shayera is checking Arthur for barnacles.

JL #191. Now, I'm a fan of Zee, even though I think she's been horribly mis-written the last fifteen to thirty years, but I wasn't a fan of George's costume. Yes, I know the history, and while I loved his art, this, along with the first Nightwing costume he did...nah. Also, for all the action, the cover comes off as kind of bland because of the coloring. Tooooo much red and oragknee. I think I had this one years ago, but it probably went the way of so many of my first comics, read til it fell apart.

JL #225. Completely new to me, and while the cover says HELLRAZER, looks like the fist of Felix Faust. I'm guessing Hellrazor left horrible stubble burn. But, Shay's on the cover, so that makes it worth it for me.

Aaaaaannnnnnnnd finally, one I had years before ...DC Comics Presents #12, Superman and Mister Miracle. And while the story was pretty good, honestly, as a young dude way back when...Barda was smokin hot.

One thing about it, the cover by Ross Andru. I've never really heard what happened with him, whether he got old and retired, or just passed unexpectedly, but I never hear him talked about with others. And that's a shame, because I loved his deceptively simple sort of "house style" art, but was much more detailed than credit was given for, and always conveyed what was meant to be conveyed.

Anyway, that's it for the week.

I gotta say, when I got to my LCS, the number of DC stuff was...embarrasingly low. i think they had like three new books on the shelf, and none I buy. And I can't help but think that between the mess didio left behind, and now the ... lets say more "modern" stuff that seems to jettison history and character for event comics, I'm really not feeling much of the new

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1039441 7 hours ago
Wanderer
Wanderer
That's a nice catch of good stuff!

rickshaw1 #1039446 7 hours ago
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Rick, I appreciate the kind words about Ross Andru. When he had the right inker, such as Mike Esposito on Wonder Woman and Metal Men, or Frank Giacoia on Amazing Spider-Man, or Dick Giordano on Superman/Spider-Man as well as most of those 80s covers, his talent really shone.

Sad to say, Andru passed away in 1993. Esposito lived on another 20 years or so. There's a book about the two of them, published while Esposito was still alive, but I can't remember the title at the moment.

It could be that Andru was just too quirky for his times (even Esposito admitted that Andru's faces were problematic and he had to redraw them.) If the aforementioned book was reissued, or better yet, if someone wrote a new one, Andru might finally be seen as a talent ahead of its time, whose style anticipated the Art Adamses, Mike Wieringos, and Todd Naucks that made quirky not only okay, but also popular.

rickshaw1 #1039452 2 hours ago
G
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
G
So, not an LCS story, but I was at the Baltimore Comic con yesterday and got a few things:

I brought my LSH v5 #30 and had Barry Kitson and Jimmy Palmiotti sign that. Barry also signed my #1.
(Mark Waid was supposed to be there, but cancelled due to him having Covid)
Signed copies of Ron Randall's Trekker books (he signed the two hardcover compilations and the latest TPB for me - I have everything else digitally)
A bunch of Moy stuff (of course):
My commission of the Legion girls
A couple prints that were new to me.
And FOUR pages from Legionnaires: Page 13 of issue 21 (Planet Hell), Page 21 of issue 38 (when Imra saves the Braalian ambassador's life), Issue 48 page 10 where Kinetix realizes the connection between Mysa and Mordru because of the tattoo, and page 39 of issue 50! (I think that's the last page).

It was a good day to be in Baltimore and literally ALL the creators were super nice folks.

EDIT - the art pages are here: https://www.legionworld.net/forums/...mp;Number=1008664#lg=1008664&slide=9

Last edited by Gaseous Lad; 2 hours ago.

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

rickshaw1 #1039453 2 hours ago
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Ooh, Trekker by Ron Randall. I recently unearthed my copies of the first 6 issues (while looking for Legion stuff.)

Congratulations on the original art from Legionnaires (a page from issue 50, I'm so jealous!)

rickshaw1 #1039454 2 hours ago
G
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
G
I've backed the kickstarter for his last few Trekker books, as they're really good. Ron's a super nice guy, too.

And thanks - Two of the pages I bought from Jeff directly, but the other two (including the page from 50) I had to track down as another vendor had purchased/traded from Jeff earlier in the con or that day. So I found the dealer, and asked to buy them before he was able to get anything in a bag! But when I saw it was 50, I had to buy it.

rickshaw1 #1039457 3 minutes ago
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by rickshaw1
Well, folks, it's all old stuff today, but no legion.

So, on with the show.

Green Lantern, the Silver/Bronze age run. And it's three of them I never had. Numbers 153, or Secret of the Star Cycle. Now, I know its probably about the life and death journey of a star, possibly effected by sentient machinations, hint the bomb on the cover... But my mind went o a sentient star riding a cosmic motorcycle through space. If I did lsd, this would probably be some trippy stuff.

GL #158. I've seen and remembered the cover of this issue for years, but never actually had or read it before. Don't know what it's about, but there's ah yaller space dragon, so some excrement bout ta go down.

GL #172, or ... "Judgement Day". Another one I never had before. But given the cover is by Gibbons, I'm guessing this leads up to the John Stewart era.

On to the Justice League, also Silver/Bronze age. More Silver I'm thinking.

First up, number 77, someone betrays the Justice League. I may be wrong, but from what I remember, this is the issue Snapper betrays the League to the Joker. But, I'm old. I may be not right.

JL #181..Or, Ollie pitches another fit. yeah, I get it, he's ground, they world or even cosmic at times. Never had this one before that I remember, but hey, looks like the one where he quits. And Shayera is checking Arthur for barnacles.

JL #191. Now, I'm a fan of Zee, even though I think she's been horribly mis-written the last fifteen to thirty years, but I wasn't a fan of George's costume. Yes, I know the history, and while I loved his art, this, along with the first Nightwing costume he did...nah. Also, for all the action, the cover comes off as kind of bland because of the coloring. Tooooo much red and oragknee. I think I had this one years ago, but it probably went the way of so many of my first comics, read til it fell apart.

JL #225. Completely new to me, and while the cover says HELLRAZER, looks like the fist of Felix Faust. I'm guessing Hellrazor left horrible stubble burn. But, Shay's on the cover, so that makes it worth it for me.

Aaaaaannnnnnnnd finally, one I had years before ...DC Comics Presents #12, Superman and Mister Miracle. And while the story was pretty good, honestly, as a young dude way back when...Barda was smokin hot.

One thing about it, the cover by Ross Andru. I've never really heard what happened with him, whether he got old and retired, or just passed unexpectedly, but I never hear him talked about with others. And that's a shame, because I loved his deceptively simple sort of "house style" art, but was much more detailed than credit was given for, and always conveyed what was meant to be conveyed.

Anyway, that's it for the week.

I gotta say, when I got to my LCS, the number of DC stuff was...embarrasingly low. i think they had like three new books on the shelf, and none I buy. And I can't help but think that between the mess didio left behind, and now the ... lets say more "modern" stuff that seems to jettison history and character for event comics, I'm really not feeling much of the new

Some nice picks there Rick.

I think JLA 77 was the story that moved them to a new HQ, or a reason for it anyway. So, into the O'Neill stories. Characterisation that was still being mined in your #181.

#191 will be Perez territory, so that's nearly as good as it gets. Really good story that one.

#225 is the start of a non Conway 3 partner. I think he'd left, came back and then had more breaks leading into the Detroit era. A good roll call for 225.

I've not that long read the Wein/Gibbons run. Hal quit in 181 I think, so could have been on, or just returned from his exile in space year.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Page 16 of 16 1 2 14 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,053
Posts1,048,709
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Oracle Boy
Oracle Boy
The 'Net