Roll Call
1 members (Harbinger, Harbinger, Harbinger), 18 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Gaseous Lad - 06/26/24 07:29 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/26/24 06:43 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/26/24 06:43 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 26 June 24
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 03:19 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:57 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:53 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:53 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Legion Worlds Seven (more 30 March 21)
Harbinger #1000413 03/31/21 07:48 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I'm of the same opinion re Brek vs Hadru smile Definitely have more sympathy for Brek. though Harbi / Dirk raised a good point re Hadru being Blighted; how did that affect him? of course, we haven't really seen any of the other Blighted act out to this degree. except maybe Tel vs. Jed smile

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 03/31/21 07:48 AM.
Re: Legion Worlds Seven (more 7 April 21)
Harbinger #1000621 04/07/21 06:12 AM
Wanderer
OP Online Content
Wanderer
Next up was the student they called Haze.

Tkemwa Autmi-Hu stood before the assembled Legionnaires wearing his Science Police Cadet uniform.

He was not particularly tall but had an obvious muscular build that leant itself to his presence on the dais. His answers had been short and polite, though he did not smile once. Lu had him describe the day in question and asked how he felt during Hadru's assault (Dirk countered saying it was not yet proven as an assault, Lu replied with a saccharine smile and rephrased her question) and then so soon after having had his metabolism tampered with, how it felt to be encased in ice. Tkemwa gave a blow-by-blow account of what had transpired after Hadru had warped into the apartment he had shared with Brek.

This was the only point during his questioning that the young student showed emotion. His eyes briefly flicked across to Hadru and Brek; the disgust he felt was obvious.

Dirk felt sorry for the kid as he knew no matter how today went several of his colleagues would see him as the person responsible for this trial... as much as he didn't want to harm the kids chances of progressing from the Academy, Dirk knew he had to discredit him if Brek and Harry stood a chance of avoiding custodial sentences.

"Your questions Dirk." Lu said with a small smile on her face. Dirk gave a bright smile in return before questioning the student.

"Tkemwa, from what you just told us it was Hadru that initially provoked the situation. You said he disrupted your glucose receptors causing you to feel weak. So, he tried to slow you down, is that correct?"

"Yes, he did..."

"And you responded by negatively influencing his mind so he wouldn't have been able to concentrate on using his powers on you anymore. That's correct, yes?"

"Yes."

"Then what?" Dirk smiled at the student as asked.

"Brek used his cryo-kinetic ability to attack me."

"No, that's not correct. Can you answer the question again please?"

"Pardon?" The student looked confused.

"From your own earlier testimony, you influenced Hadru with your psionics knocking him to the floor and then approached him... do you think this could have been seen as a precursor of a more physical retaliatory attack?"

"Oh please, what are you saying Dirk? He can't tell you what those idiots were thinking..." Lu had stood up and spoke, interrupting the flow of the questioning.

"I'm saying clearly that this student who we all know has enhanced strength could have looked like he was away to physically assault Hadru despite having already freed himself from the catalysation." Dirk didn't smile as he replied.

"Hadru deserved it, if he did slap him." Lu muttered darkly as she sat down.

"Nope... gotta disagree with you there Lu. So..." Dirk turned back to the student, "Were you going to physically attack Hadru? You must have felt annoyed, provoked even..."

"I don't believe I would have, no." Tkemwa looked a little confused as he replied.

"Do you want to take a minute there?" Dirk said, with a knowing smile on his face.

"Stop provoking him Dirk, he's not the victim here." Lu snapped.

"Perhaps... though it could explain some later actions. If the defendants believed there was a physical threat against them from someone who's at least ten times stronger than both of them what would we expect them to do? Stand there and take a beating because of a ...a stupid moment of high spirits? It's my point that the student escalated the situation, perhaps unwittingly, so Tkemwa needs to take some responsibility as well for his actions that day."

"Tosh! And you know it, Dirk." Lu snapped.

Dirk turned to Luornu and gave her a bland smile.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Harbinger #1000622 04/07/21 06:13 AM
Wanderer
OP Online Content
Wanderer
Hadru Jamik took to the dais to be questioned.

Lu took an aggressive stance against him from her first question which, surprising the majority of his colleagues, he didn't rise to. Instead, he seemed to become almost inert, neither shrinking away or responding in kind. His calm demeanour looked to be shaken a few times but he kept his cool and didn't once raise his voice or use a snarky response. Thankfully, Dirk thought to himself, Hadru had listened to his advice about not antagonising Luornu...

Hadru told the team of his frustration and unhappiness being a Legionnaire and how he wanted to speak to Brek about potentially quitting. He made a quip at this point about how, regardless of the outcome of the trial, he was out now. Lu didn't respond.

Hadru continued talking about the day in question, how he really just wanted a friend to talk to but it felt as if the Student was forcing his way into the situation.

Lu asked what exactly had led Hadru to assault Tkemwa. Hadru laughed and spoke about the various races' metabolisms he had researched in the last few years. He stressed that he knew the limits of what he could do to Haze and so only planned on putting the student to sleep, nothing more. After Tkemwa struck back things were a blur until he arrived on the Intrepid Satellite. He mentioned how Brek had offered to take the fall for it if he wanted to go back but instead Hadru had offered to financially support them if they got away. After that they made their way to a docking bay and a possible route off the satellite where they were caught.

Hadru paused for a second or two before continuing, telling the assembled team how once Tasmia Mallor had covered Brek and him in darkness on the Martian Satellite he had merely stood up. If he wanted to, he said, he could have easily shut down everyone present at that time by interfering with their body's chemistry. Instead he simply stood up. He planned on giving himself up but wasn't given the opportunity. He heard Brek try to apologise to Tasmia then the sound of a blow and a second later he was unconscious himself. His next memory was waking up in pain on Home Base.

Lu smiled as she said she had no further questions.

Dirk's questioning of Hadru took an unexpected turn.

Dirk smiled and thanked Hadru for his account of that day and reassured the Phlonite that he would not have to relive it anymore. Instead, Dirk started discussing tricks and jokes that various Legionnaires had pulled on their colleagues over the years, from Garth's 'butt-burning' phase (Dirk made a point of including Tinya in that recollection), this gave the newer Legionnaires a laugh as the story was told. Dirk then reminded them of Jo finding it amusing to eat at super-speed all of his teammates rations while on missions, which went into reminiscing over Reep jumping out at colleagues in various shapes to surprise or scare them - at least once ending with the Durlan getting punched. Hadru mentioned how Lamprey would haze new students in Montauk Point by running electric currents across tables and chairs. They both laughed.

Dirk took an unsurprising amount of satisfaction as he recounted that Luornu had used her triplicating ability to trip up the original Invisible Kid after he made a comment she interpreted as sexist back in her early days - hence the nickname 'Trips' was seen more as a warning than a shortened version of her code-name to those in the know. Hadru laughed and told the team that back when they were in the Academy even the usually straight-laced Gravity Kid had used his abilities to joke around with classmates which in one memorable case led to a fellow student needing hospital care after a prank went wrong and they were dropped on their head.

In the seating area above, several Legionnaires were laughing while others spoke with friends and colleagues about jokes they had either participated in or been on the receiving end of...

Lu interrupted, asking if there was a point to this random detour down memory lane. Dirk clarified why he had taken this turn of thought - each of those 'jokes' inconvenienced teammates, some could easily be seen as sexual harassment and in more than a few cases they had led to bodily harm, yet they were written off as high spirits or personality clashes that were soon forgotten about. He wondered how Hadru influencing Tkemwa's glucose receptors just enough to slow him down was any different. Certainly, Dirk mused, if it had been a member of the team closer to the senior team or current team leader he seriously doubted that this trial would have been called at all.

There was uproar from the Legionnaires sat watching as several started shouting their objections at Dirk while a couple agreed with his assessment.

It took several minutes before order was restored.

Dirk remained quiet as he stared up at the teammates objecting to his line of reason. His expression was fairly neutral, though those that knew him well could see there was a determined anger behind it.

Dirk's last question to Hadru was: "After today, regardless of outcome do you have any plans?"

"Leave this place and forget about ever being in the Legion. I don't fit in and don't want to stay anymore."

There was muttering from the Legionnaires that sat on the raised seating, some agreeing that he should leave while other clearly uncomfortable for letting the situation reach the point where one of their colleagues felt like that.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Harbinger #1000623 04/07/21 06:14 AM
Wanderer
OP Online Content
Wanderer
Brek Bannin took to the dais.

This was the man that had set up and led a covert support group to the main Legion through strength of his own chatacter, who then made it onto the main team and even led it for a while. Until recently Brek's service record was as good as any of his teammates. Yet here he was; unshaven and with a dirty yellow stain of bruising on his left cheek. Brek put his chin up as he looked around at the Legionnaires staring at him in an attempt to look defiant though they could all see in his eyes that he was already resigned to having lost.

Lu's eyes widened for a split-second as she took in the state of the man before her and her tone of voice softened. She was remarkably compassionate as she addressed him. The whole team were silent as they watched.

Brek looked broken.

Dirk glanced up at his teammates in the seats looking down. The majority looked uncomfortable.

After Luornu asked him for details Brek rambled a bit about what happened and then abruptly stopped mid-sentence.

"You know what, I know damn fine I'm not worthy of a flight ring anymore. Prob'ly haven't been for a long time if I'm being honest. Mel Lassar is far more deserving of being the hero that represents Tharr than I am. And, I know it was a cluster-fuck of a day but I only wanted to protect my friend when I saw that...that slab of muscle approach Hadru," he pointed towards Tkemwa and turned to face the student, "see... That's why I put you on ice, I never wanted to hurt you, just slow you down so we could leave. You wouldn't give us any room and you looked like you wanted to kill Hadru after he did his schtick on you. I just wanted to stop you..." Brek rubbed his forehead with the heel of his hand before carrying on.

"I knew Hadru wanted to talk and, yes, I wanted a drink despite being told not to have any. So, everything was going around in my head and Hadru zapped him and he zapped Hadru back, and... and then Haze lunged forward so I encased him to stop him hurting my friend. Am I proud? No. Am I a role model that a Legionnaire should be? Not by a light-year. But I was stressed and my friend was too and wanted to talk to me and I wanted to protect him."

Brek looked up at the Legionnaires in the raised seating and continued, "And I gotta say I'm sorry too Wildfire but you were roaring towards us and I just panicked. I could have frozen any of you but I knew you'd be okay Drake, that's why I chose to freeze only you. And... ah, that's all I gotta say... that's my statement ...now you can all decide if you're gonna throw us in a jail or let us go home."

And with that Brek Bannin got up from the seat and left the dais to sit on a pew at the back of the room.

Lu gazed over at Brek and shook her head before announcing she would call the next witness.

Harbinger #1000624 04/07/21 06:17 AM
Wanderer
OP Online Content
Wanderer
Raz and IB, thank you for your comments, they're always greatly appreciated.

Hadru and Brek are definitely very different fish, so their reactions as we go on might interest you - hopefully I've done them justice.

Next, things get down to the nitty gritty and it will be savage. One person in particular is in for an enlightening conversation that will have ramifications for the entire team.

More soon, hope you enjoy.

C

Harbinger #1000626 04/07/21 06:51 AM
Wanderer
OP Online Content
Wanderer
Oh, sorry, meant to add, IB I've added quite a few blighted reactions so don't think Hadru and Tel are the only ones - from Grava and Drinchnar arguing, Lar's loneliness/depression, KK and Amynta went to Nostos as both felt that something was wrong and Amanda in particularwas suffering, Starkling reaching out to find comfort, even Brin needing to reconnect to nature, as well as Thirteen acknowledged he had been moody despite his Naltorian training could all come under 'Blighted" reactions. That's how they were all meant anyway though I didn't categorically label them as such so apologies if it wasn't clear.

Harbinger #1000635 04/07/21 02:56 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Harbi, these were 3 excellent segments!!! Dirk's defense is amazing... shows how a situation can be interpreted in so many different ways. That bit of walking everyone down memory lane re pranks was golden.

Impressed at Hadru for listening to Dirk's advance and not antgonizng Lu...

And Brek and Hadru both giving their reasoning for their actions (just standing up and not attacking; only freezing Wildfire)... well, this has also made me rethink my opinions.

In short, this is a masterful bit of writing, I am super impressed and dare I say this is even better than the Adventure Era trial of Star Boy !

Originally Posted by Harbinger
Oh, sorry, meant to add, IB I've added quite a few blighted reactions so don't think Hadru and Tel are the only ones - from Grava and Drinchnar arguing, Lar's loneliness/depression, KK and Amynta went to Nostos as both felt that something was wrong and Amanda in particularwas suffering, Starkling reaching out to find comfort, even Brin needing to reconnect to nature, as well as Thirteen acknowledged he had been moody despite his Naltorian training could all come under 'Blighted" reactions. That's how they were all meant anyway though I didn't categorically label them as such so apologies if it wasn't clear.

Hi Harbi! Oh, sorry too, I also was not clear. I know/remember some of these at least, as being Blighted reactions. But I meant more that Hadru and Tel had the most violent ones - or at least the ones that impacted others. Even with Grava, she only argued vs. Drinchnar and was clearly sorry afterwards. And the others didn't lash out at anyone else or anything. If I remember right, only Hadru and Tel really lashed out...

Harbinger #1000643 04/07/21 04:22 PM
Wanderer
OP Online Content
Wanderer
Glad you like it IB, thank you for your very kind response. Having went through a court case a few years ago I've seen how individuals perceptions of events can vary and influence results. It's all down to who is believed the most. The best/worst is still to come.

Re: Hadru behaving himself - well, the man's not daft!

And my apologies as I've just rer-read your comments above and it's clear that you meant lashing out like that, I totally misread earlier. Sorry..

I may post more tomorrow or Friday as I'm just so excited about this storyline, I'm really looking forward to seeing how yours and any other readers opinion changes by the end of it all - I think its 3 or 4 more posts of witnesses being cross examined before the verdict is given.

Also, just noticed and love how my autospellcheckimp changed Amynta to Amanda in my reply, haha.

Anyway, it's almost 2330 and I'm up at 0530 so must go to bed now. Night night.

Thanks again IB.

C

Harbinger #1000657 04/08/21 02:23 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Hi Harbi,

This is so good - Lu is the perfect choice to play prosecutor, she's so self-assured! I really do feel sorry for Dirk having to oppose her, but I like how you're showing he has a different type of intelligence/confidence in the way he uses his charisma to good effect.

I really feel sorry for Brek...there's a good argument to be made that he has been on a downward spiral since he joined the Legion, as things have been going progressively worse for him since he actually joined the team. He went from being the biggest fish in a small pond with the Subs to just being completely lost once he joined his dream team.

I like the way you're writing Chemical Kid and it doesn't surprise me at all in retrospect that he of course would know how to manipulate a courtroom. I have no doubt he's been in trouble before given how snotty and entitled he always comes across, so his calmness on the stand doesn't come as a shock at all. Very much looking forward to seeing where this goes!

Re: Legion Worlds Seven (more 8 April 21)
Harbinger #1000659 04/08/21 02:37 AM
Wanderer
OP Online Content
Wanderer
The next witness was Science Police Officer Ella Drottmi of Titan.

The psychic tutor was precise and factual in all her answers. She sensed Tkemwa's distress as the alarm rang so rushed to help him. As well as smashing the ice that surrounded him - two to three feet thick, she estimated- she took a look at his immediate memories to find out what happened.

The student was her primary concern so when other tutors arrived moments after she had found Haze, she told them what she had learned and then took the injured student to the infirmary where she remained until he was released two hours later.

Dirk tried to get her to go back on how thick the ice was but the psychic Science Police tutor simply restated her previous statement. He then tried to have her speak in more detail about the extent of the student's injuries but she would not be drawn out. It didn't take him long to realise Ella would not help his case so he thanked her for her testimony and called for the next witness.

Dr Richard Kent Shakespeare smiled as he took to the dais.

The Legion's Chief of Medical and Support Staff smiled pleasantly as he listed Haze's medical condition upon arrival at the medi-bay: glucose deficiency which for his species could potentially lead to unconsciousness with an extreme possibility of falling into a coma if left untreated, the beginning stages of frostbite on fingertips and toes, and mild shock.

Lu thanked him as Dirk got up from his seat and approached the witness. He asked Kent to rate these injuries both individually and as a group out of ten, with 1 being no harm and 10 being death. Dr Shakespeare appeared thrown by the question.

"Just answer, are any of them, or in fact are all of them when put together, a 5 out of 10 or above? Given the physicality of the student did you believe there would be any lasting harm to him at all?"

"... no. No to both questions. Tkemwa was perfectly fine in a under an hour. I only kept him in longer as a precautionary measure and had no doubts he was fighting fit when he was discharged."

"Okay, thanks." Dirk scratched his chin as if an idea had just struck him, "Just one more question... how would you rate the damage Hadru and Brek presented with when they were brought back to Home Base: Less, same as, or more than the student's? Just talk us through what injuries they presented with please..."

"Well, ah, let's see... both had broken noses, Breks' orbital bone was fractured and he had lost two teeth, both had serious facial bruising and mild concussion, Hadru had damaged his knees and twisted muscles and ligaments, scrapes and scratches, so ...more. Both Hadru and Brek needed to be in our care for four or five hours, so considerably longer than Tkemwa. But I also ..."

"That's all. Thank you, Dr Shakespeare." Dirk waved his hand at the doctor, dismissing him from the dais.

Harbinger #1000660 04/08/21 02:38 AM
Wanderer
OP Online Content
Wanderer
Wildfire and Shadow Lass took their turn on the stand.

Luornu asked for their take on the events that happened on the day Tkemwa was found encased in ice. Their stories all matched, as was expected.

Drake and Tasmia both told Dirk they were proud of their actions for catching Hadru and Brek. Dirk resisted the urge to make Drake repeat telling the assembled Legionnaires the part where Brek had frozen him to a wall. As funny as he thought it was, Dirk knew that it might prove counter-productive. Still, he would ensure it wasn't forgotten after all the hullaballoo of the trial was over and done with. As much as Dirk had a genuine fondness and respect for Drake, he knew a little bit of ego deflation was often in order.

Science Police Senior Training Officer Jaxi Delgrado-Hynd took to the dais and confirmed his fellow tutors accounts of the events that day to Lu. Sun Boy didn't really know this tutor but had thought highly of him when he had watched him in action with his students on Home Base.

Luornu asked him the same questions she had asked the Legionnaires that had been on the retrieval mission and he had given broadly the same answers. She smiled as she passed the witness over to Dirk to question.

Dirk felt a pang of guilt for what he was away to do to the accomplished Science Police trainer.

Jaxi's answers were almost guaranteed to be the same word for word as the Legionnaires that had preceded him onto the stand. Dirk had entirely questions in mind for this witness.

"Jaxi... tell me, did anyone try to stop Hadru or Brek by talking to them? Maybe requesting they stop doing whatever it was they were doing and return to Home Base to help with an enquiry?"

"No."

"Yet it is a long-standing SP protocol that all arresting officers are first obliged to de-escalate any potential combat situation by attempting communication before taking physical action, isn't that correct?"

"The two had attacked a student, Brek had attacked Drake... "

"Well, perhaps though perhaps not. No-one for a nano believes Brek could ever hurt Drake so let's not use that as an excuse. Not if we want to be taken seriously anyway." Dirk gave a laugh and glanced up at Wildfire in the raised seating above. Several of his colleagues laughed and teased the anti-energy Legionnaire. Dirk waited a couple more seconds before continuing.

"Still, you jumped on Hadru, broke his nose, twisted muscles on his neck and shoulders, your forcing him onto the ground resulted in damage to both knees and his right arm. Did he use his ability against you that he deserved such an aggressive action taken against him rather than just slipping on cuffs? Actually, don't answer that, just tell me, did he act in any way to put you personally at risk that your actions are acceptable under any Science Police arresting procedures?" Dirk didn't smile as he asked and Jaxi didn't look happy as he heard the question.

"...to my point of view at that time we were facing two meta beings with significant Legion combat training that had used their abilities against a student so we had to assume they might try to use them against us and so we acted accordingly."

"No, that's not correct at all, is it? Not according to Science Police procedural policies anyway. You know that though, don't you? I mean, you've been a trainer for the SP's for over a decade so I assume you should know the regulations around lawful arrest by now. It is fairly clear... I spent two hours last night reading them though please do tell me if I've misremembered." Dirk paused here, his expression was that of a raptor with its prey firmly in sight.

"So, when arresting anyone that can be perceived as potentially hostile it is the arresting officer's obligation to try in the first instance to de-escalate the situation through opening direct communication. Also..."

Officer Delgrado-Hynd tried to interrupt but Dirk bluntly told him to be quiet before he continued.

"Your regulations state that only after communication has been tried and failed, or if the situation becomes increasingly dangerous or threatening to life, may force be considered. The minimum force necessary to end a situation is to be used at all times. Now, i believe that's a fairly basic summary of about sixteen whole pages of text on the subject though please correct me if I got it wrong... no? You're not going to argue with that summary? Okay..." Dirk paused and looked up at the team around him before he got to the crunch.

"So, my final question then... given these protocols, why aren't you on trial today Jaxi? After all, you aggresively assaulted a Legionnaire without following the legal protocol you are sworn, and paid to uphold. Do you believe your actions were more, less or about the same amount of illegal as Hadru's and Brek's? If this went to a proper legally accountable court, that is... well, which is it officer?"

The silence that stretched out between them was harsh until Luornu requested they all take a 20-minute comfort break.

Dirk smiled and took the dais. "As Luornu has called all of her witnesses, after the break I only have one more witness to call... Tinya Wazzo, in twenty minutes please come join us down here."

Harbinger #1000661 04/08/21 02:39 AM
Wanderer
OP Online Content
Wanderer
Dirk had sat between Hadru and Brek, refusing to speak to Lu during the comfort break.

Exactly twenty minutes later and Tinya floated down to the dais as requested. She gave Dirk a smile that he knew instantly meant she was not happy with him.

He really didn't care.

He was here to represent Hadru and Brek at her request so he planned on doing the best job he could to get them off the hook. He knew, technically, that they were both guilty but if he raised enough doubts in his teammates minds then he hoped to at least save them from a trip to Tarkon-Galtos. That was the best outcome that he could see coming out of this...

"My witness Lu, I go first." Dirk said as he stood up and walked to the central space.

"Tinya, hi, I've only got a couple of questions for you, then I'm done, is that okay?" The Legion leader nodded her agreement so Dirk proceeded, "Hadru was recently moved from being part of the Second Base team to First... why did you do that??

"We wanted to even up the abilities available on the bases, and so with Jan joining Second Base..."

"Uh huh, were there other reasons?"

"Well, you know as a member of the Senior Team, we had discussed how Hadru had been looking less confident after we took Second Base. He had been badly beaten and he seemed to be... volatile, vulnerable, emotional. I thought if he was on First Base, closer to Dr Shakespeare and Dr Falkner, he would have better access to support if it was needed."

"So, you wanted to keep an eye on him as he appeared to be struggling?"

"Yes."

"Did you have Tkemwa placed in Brek's apartment to monitor him? Have someone there to keep an eye on Brek as he was struggling as well?" After Dirk asked this everyone could see Tinya's expression change. There was a few tense seconds that followed where every eye in the room focussed squarely on the team leader.

"Yes." The huge room fell silent as Tinya admitted this.

Dirk waited several more seconds before asking why.

"Several reasons, I had spoken with the tutors on Home Base about ways of hopefully managing our ...potentially more troublesome students and we decided that all students would share their apartments going forward, as a kind of Buddy scheme. Tkemwa, being Ungaran has a natural sense of order so I hoped he would be a calming element on Brek."

"You said several reasons...?"

"Tkemwa is as honest as a G'rfflr's tongue is long, so I knew if we needed to ask him about anything regarding Brek's behaviour he wouldn't try to cover it up."

"And you suspected Brek would break the rules?"

"Yes." The flat look that Tinya gave Dirk told him she was not happy with being questioned.

"So.... are you in fact saying you expected Brek to fail at the Academy?" Dirk walked away from her as he asked this question.

"I hoped not..." As she replied Dirk turned back to look her way again.

"That wasn't the question." Dirk said it quietly but everyone heard.

"Okay, yes I did not expect Brek would succeed at the Academy."

"So, if I've got this correct, it sounds that you set Brek up to fail. Why go through all the hassle of having him placed there if you suspected he wasn't capable of making it through the placement?"

"Well... Obviously, he deserved a chance." It was clear that Tinya did not fully believe her own statement.

"Really? If he deserved a chance, why wasn't he simply allowed back on one of the bases and added to the monitor board as mission ready? Was there any other reason why you would want Brek to go through the ... the humiliation of attending the Academy when he had already earned his stripes as a full Legionnaire?" Dirk realised that his tone of voice was beginning to show the anger he was feeling so he made a point of turning away again and walking over to his chair. Once there he turned back to her before perching on the edge of an arm.

Tinya was silent. She looked up to the assembled Legionnaires and shrugged.

"Okay... For those of you that are unaware..." Tinya looked up at the faces of the team as they watched the proceedings, "Several months ago, Brek quit in the most monumentally childish huff I have witnessed in my career because we pulled him up about his highly inappropriate behaviour. Once he'd left, he made no attempt to contacted us to discuss the situation or, as far as I'm aware, to respond to calls from his friends here. Then, just when it looked like he'd run out of money and favours Brek used our media contacts to manipulate his way back in. I used to have some genuine respect for Brek but after that... well, that was the C'hhrxx that broke the Dryggrn's back, y'know? I wanted him to learn to be respectful. He... You know I didn't want to hurt him, certainly didn't want anything like this ...I ...I just wanted to teach him a lesson that he couldn't treat the Legion so shabbily and expect us to be happy to see him. All things considered; I think it was fair."

"You think it was fair to treat someone you say you used to respect and also knew was struggling with addiction problems in a way that would publicly humiliate them?" This time Dirk's voice clearly showed his annoyance. His expression was that of a man barely containing his feelings of anger. Tinya's eyes narrowed momentarily as she stared at him, her emotions were also rising to the surface. The unsaid challenge between them was clear for anyone paying close attention.

"Yes, yes I did and still do." Tinya straightened in her chair, her voice became harder as she replied, "Brek needed educating so he fully understood there would be consequences for that sort of behaviour. His addictions are a separate matter entirely Dirk..."

"Did you ever address them with him?" Dirk interrupted Tinya to ask, the smirk on his face and voice made it clear he knew the answer was 'no'.

"You know the answer, I saw it as a problem he could easily request help for and that you certainly didn't help with either when you'd take him out partying all the time... So watch your tone with me."

Even as she finished speaking Tinya knew her answer had ended on a shrill note. She could feel the blush rise on her cheeks. At that moment she wasn't sure if she wanted to slap Hadru, Brek or Dirk the most for putting her in this awful situation.

Dirk gave a huge and clearly false smile before thanking Tinya for her answers and asking Luornu if she had any questions for the witness.

Both women looked confused, though happy that he had finally stopped baiting the team's leader. Lu asked Tinya to go through the timeline that led up to the arrest of Brek and Hadru, mentioning all the incidents both defendants had been involved in the last few months that had raised concerns to her. After she had finished Lu asked Dirk if he had any final questions and, as he declined, the team leader was told she could re-take her seat.

Harbinger #1000662 04/08/21 02:43 AM
Wanderer
OP Online Content
Wanderer
Raz, hi there, thanks for your review - greatly appreciated.

I totally agree that Hadru will know how to play the system, he's such a little schemey at heart smile

Dirk has always been shown as incredibly smart, so it was fun figuring out how someone with his mindset would defend Hadru and Brek. Hope this reads as well as it was planned.

Next: the verdict!

fun, fun, fun....

C

Harbinger #1000673 04/08/21 06:00 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
hi Harbi more great stuff!!

Re mis-reading, oh no worries, I do it all the time too! smile Hope you had a good sleep!!

I am also excited about this storyline, so thank you so much for posting more. I eagerly checked to see today!

Dirk, he is so clever, kudos for shining a light on his intelligence!

Dirk's questioning of Jaxi was masterful... also makes me think! Will this force a reckoning re the Legion's own protocols? Because the question he asked Kent... Hadru and Brek were significantly more hurt indeed...!

Dirk and Tinya's scene. Wow. I felt Dirk's anger at Brek's treatment, after all Brek is his friend...

Goodness... I do respect Tinya for her honesty. But whew! I am so interested to see the aftermath... Relationships are being broken down all around, and of course I cannot say any of this is unearned, I do not think anyone is free of blame here...

I absolutely cannot wait for the end! Oh Harbi you continue to amaze, I am hooked!

I forgot to add, the bit about Brek looking so broken that even Lu softened while questioning him. Poor, poor Brek. And I think this marked a turning point re Lu, as well.

Oh, and Hadru's line about not fitting in and not wanting to stay anymore. Yes, Hadru can be a little snot but that broke my heart too.

Harbinger #1000677 04/08/21 07:10 AM
Wanderer
OP Online Content
Wanderer
IB thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

As Dirk is a member of the Senior Team so had sat in the meetings where these things were discussed I don't think Tinya could evade the questions without him calling her out in front of the whole team. Relationships will definitely be very different after this, one in particular will have a lot of work to do to recover. Ouch!

Oh, and I imagine Jaxi and Tasmia were especially hard on Brek and Hadru as they wanted to catch those they had seen as betraying the team by attacking a student.

Anyway, it'll be Tuesday or wednesday next week before I have time again to drop by and post some more, though the verdict isn't in yet - remember Lu said to judge the case by the facts not friendships.

So which way to you think it'll go?

Thanks again,

C

Harbinger #1000680 04/08/21 09:19 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I look forward to see where you're taking all these!

And yeah totally get Jaxi and Tasmia. I'm sure they did what they felt they had to do. And I applaud you having Dirk's feelings show, re being sorry he had to ask in a certain way etc. etc. But he is doing his job to the best of his ability for sure

Oh I can hardly wait

It's too close to call IMO. The verdict will be a vote, I do think Dirk has swayed some people. I think in the end it will be a technically guilty thing, but I don't think Brek or Hadru will be imprisoned... I do not think they will be fully exonerated though... gosh it's tough!!

Hope you have a good weekend ahead!

Re: Legion Worlds Seven (more 14 April 21)
Harbinger #1000865 04/14/21 02:31 AM
Wanderer
OP Online Content
Wanderer
Both Dirk and Luornu knew that there was very little that could be added so both gave their closing speeches.

Ultimately, they all knew the both Brek and Hadru were out. Both had expressed these views themselves so it was certain that regardless of the vote they would no longer be part of the team after today. What needed to be decided was how their leaving would happen...

Luornu argued that the two had caused intentional hurt and disruption that led to the hospitalisation of a student and disruption on a private satellite, and as such needed to feel the full force of the law. She stated that as Legionnaires they had to be prepared to live by the laws that they enforced, so to her mind there was no other choice than recommend both Brek Bannin and Hadru Jamik be transferred to the Science Police to face charges of assault of a registered law enforcement officer, affray, attempted theft and disturbance of the peace. She also argued that both should be stripped of any benefits from their time with the Legion including a thorough memory wipe of any sensitive information. Her final statement was to remind the team they were here to vote on the facts of the case, not their feelings regarding the defendants.

Dirk started by asking for the team to consider that both Hadru and Brek had been through enough. Both had suffered and lacked the support they needed while on the team. This was something, he stated, that any of them could have had to live through... Both men wanted to leave and he asked that the Legion should consider letting them go. There was no need to have their relationships ('working and platonic' Dirk had stressed with a small smile) be damaged any more than it already was when they all knew there was nothing left to fight over. Brek and Hadru had come out the worst from the recent escapade and, really, what was the point of including the Science Police in this situation when it had been clearly documented that their own officer had not followed their own arrest procedures. This was an internal matter that the only win-win outcome would be to let the two men go live their lives elsewhere as former Legionnaires.

The team had ninety minutes left before they were obliged to either hand the pair over to the SP's or release them. So, as agreed by the Senior Team earlier, a two thirds majority would decide their fate. The team would discuss and vote amongst itself to decide whether or not the two defendants should be handed over to the Science Police or not. If not, a solution would be expected to be discussed and offered.

Dirk led Brek and Hadru out of the meeting room, with Luornu and Thunder following behind. No-one spoke as they went to a nearby room where the two defendants waited to hear the team's decision. Dirk and Lu sat out in the corridor, both deep in thought as they relived the trial and wondered if they had done enough...

Neither spoke.

Harbinger #1000866 04/14/21 02:31 AM
Wanderer
OP Online Content
Wanderer
Fifty minutes later XS appeared before them.

The rush of air that followed in her wake blew into both Dirk and Lu's faces as they looked up at her from their seats.

"We've made a decision, you coming back in?" Jenni gave them a mock salute and smile.

Lu thanked her and followed the speedster back into the meeting room. Dirk went to get Brek and Hadru from their cells. They silently followed him back into the huge room where their former colleagues and friends sat on the raised horse-shoe shaped dais. Neither Brek nor Dirk looked up at them as they made their way to the centre of the room, though Hadru stole a glance. He was disappointed that he had not spotted Grava as he knew her expression would tip him off to the outcome.

Phantom Girl, Thunder and Tyroc stood waiting for them.

"Hadru Jamik and Brek Bannin," Tinya said, "the team have reached a two thirds majority after considering the charges that were brought against you. We have decided the following are a fitting solution to the problems you brought before us."

Tinya paused here to wipe her hair back from her face.

"Firstly, you have both been found guilty of the charges brought against you by your peers. So, we have discussed acceptable outcomes and reparations and have agreed on the following: you are to be stripped of your membership and all benefits that you may have gained while members of the Legion."

Hadru smiled though his expression was not exactly happy.

"Secondly, before you leave First Base all information that you have gained while in our ranks that could be seen as sensitive is to be removed, both physical information storage you may possess and all memories that could benefit anyone or organisation outside of the team."

Sun Boy looked away from the team leader as he knew the next part would be the crucial part, whether or not the team thought the two men should serve time.

"Finally, you are to leave our bases and will no longer be allowed any form of access back onto them unless it is under the most dire of threat. Henry will open a warp for you to wherever you wish to go and you are not welcome to call on his services or any of your former teammates again."

Hadru smiled broadly, obviously happy at the outcome. At his side, Brek put his hands over his face. Dirk put an arm around the Tharrite's shoulder and the short man turned his face in towards the senior senior Legionnaire's chest and cried. His body shook as he wept, though it was uncertain if it was due to sadness or relief or a mixture of both.

"If there is no appeal against this ruling...?" Tinya looked at Dirk, her eyes showed a surprising amount of compassion, "Dirk... no? Then Dr Faulkner, if you can arrange for the psychic extraction. Let's get this awful situation over and done with."

Phantom Girl turned and levitated off the dais before she strode through the walls without saying another word. Tyroc and Thunder exchanged a brief glance before taking their two former teammates that had just been stripped of their membership to the medi-bay where the team's Titanian psychiatrist had the unenviable task to securing their memories.

The team had watched from the raised seating above. Hadru looked up just as they left the meeting room and saw both Grava and Marya had moved towards the exit to be closer as he was taken away; both looked heartbroken, Grava's tears streaked down her face. He resisted the urge to wave to the team, instead he simply nodded towards the two women that had joined the team at the same time as he had.

While some of the team met in Shakes later on that day the majority spent the next few hours alone as they contemplated what had just happened.

Tinya Wazzo was proud that she didn't cry until she reached her quarters.

It was less than an hour later that Dirk Morgna offered Tinya his immediate resignation. His holo stated the group he had joined, the club for adventurous super-kids, had changed into something he no longer recognised so he no longer felt aligned to the ethos of the organisation it had become.

He wished her every success and before she could reply cut the holo-link.

Harbinger #1000867 04/14/21 02:32 AM
Wanderer
OP Online Content
Wanderer
Coming up, big trouble in Rimbor Town.

Harbinger #1000869 04/14/21 02:49 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
oh my! I thought this verdict would indeed be the outcome... being able to hear Hadru's and Brek's sides certainly shed a lot of light on their thoughts during what happened... enough for mitigating factors to come to light.

My Harbi, you know to keep us on our toes! Dirk resigning was a surprise! Is he going to strike out with Brek for a bit? You write the best Dirk ever!

Hadru nodding to Grava and Marya, as the two cry. Poignant. So well done.

Looking at Grava as a tip off to what would happen. So her.

Tinya. "Awful situation," indeed.

Oh, there is so much to unpack here!

I think not having the discussion and vote be shown was the best writing choice too! just the two simple scenes, and let it sink in. Oh, so masterful!

Harbinger #1000870 04/14/21 02:58 AM
Wanderer
OP Online Content
Wanderer
Wow, that was a fast - and very kind- response IB, thank you.

I do have plans for Dirk, but it doesn't involve Brek. More soon on that, though next up the team go visit the gene mod operations on Rimbor.

Thanks again,

C

Harbinger #1000871 04/14/21 03:33 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I was eagerly awaiting the verdict, so dropped everything to read once you posted, Harbi smile And I'm just telling the truth about how much I loved it.

Can't wait to see what's next!

Harbinger #1000879 04/14/21 02:23 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Oh, you have such writer-ly discipline! I would have not been able to resist the urge to delve into each Legionnaires thoughts during the deliberation phase and had each argue for one outcome or another, and show off some of their distinctive personalities in the process, and it would have run on and on for three or four pages, and you just efficiently and effectively moved on to the important stuff, and skipped all that egregious business I would have gotten bogged down in! Nicely done, and masterful.

I am intrigued by how you manage to have no one feel completely 'right' in how things are breaking down. Sun Boy might be giving some good huff here, but he's more or less avoided any of the hard responsibilities of leadership that Legionnaires like Tinya have been taken on, and is now flouncing out over the idea that it might be time to grow up and accept some oversight, that times have changed and what is and isn't acceptable changes over time, and that the sort of frat-boy antics he fondly remembers from 'back in the day' could indeed count as assault or harassment in a more enlightened time. The first real sign that words and actions might have consequences, and people might be accountable for their shenanigans and 'pranks' and he's out the door? Not a good look, Dirk!

Very timely, in this era of ever-increasing awareness on this subject!

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Harbinger #1000882 04/14/21 03:06 PM
Wanderer
OP Online Content
Wanderer
Hey Set, thanks for your review.

You know I did start to write about who thought what and the conversations and debates while the team voted but very quickly realised it would spin out into a novel so binned it and just cut to the chase. Probably saved myself about 3 months worth of anguish as I would have struggled to give everyone a voice.

It's really interesting to read your thoughts on the motivations for Dirk's reaction as they aren't quite how I intended it to be read - though not 100% removed.

Dirk has been in leadership roles throughout my stories and was deputy leader at one point dealing with the yucky interpersonal issues that arose. He can be tough with teammates when necessary- his treatment of Tel when he was being an idiot as an example. As, in canon, Sun Boy is a character I didn't really like I've consciously tried to push him to grow up from the very first Legion Worlds when his father was murdered by Regulus.

In this arc I feel he was more annoyed with Tinya's leadership and treatment of Brek (and to a lesser degree Hadru) than trying to run away from his responsibility, afterall the outcome was broadly what he was pushing for.

Anyway, whatever the rationale,, it was a dick move him quitting like that and there will be some fallout from it soon. He's not flouncing away without consequences.

Anyway, thank you for your feedback Set as it's great to hear how these stories have been taken. Whether or not you like Dirk's actions i hope you enjoyed the story.

More soon as things get physical- enough of the talky-talky stuff smile

C

Harbinger #1000897 04/14/21 07:35 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Harbinger
It's really interesting to read your thoughts on the motivations for Dirk's reaction as they aren't quite how I intended it to be read - though not 100% removed.

Dirk has been in leadership roles throughout my stories and was deputy leader at one point dealing with the yucky interpersonal issues that arose. He can be tough with teammates when necessary- his treatment of Tel when he was being an idiot as an example. As, in canon, Sun Boy is a character I didn't really like I've consciously tried to push him to grow up from the very first Legion Worlds when his father was murdered by Regulus.

Ah, that's my bad then, I go for long stretches between reading your stuff, and forgot entirely that he'd had some leadership experience here, thinking more of 'generic' Sun Boy who has always been a bit more free to enjoy all the benefits of Legion membership, but not really had to sweat the responsibilities as much (although I think he was deputy leader once, in the classic continuity?).

It is always fun to stretch yourself and write characters that you don't necessarily love. (Quislet, in my case.) smile

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,443
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Dairaioh
Dairaioh
Florida
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star