Roll Call
0 members (), 10 Murran Spies, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Sarcasm Kid - 06/30/24 10:23 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 06/30/24 09:59 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 06/30/24 09:59 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 06/30/24 09:50 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 06/30/24 08:34 PM
Happy Birthday EDE!
by Eryk Davis Ester - 06/30/24 08:22 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Ann Hebistand - 06/30/24 05:08 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Lash's Good, Old-Fashioned X-FORCE/STATIX thread
#473141 09/14/04 10:26 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Jesse Future:
None of the five or so out now have appealed to me enough to buy them.
5? Jesse, you give the Marvel editorial staff WAY too much credit. Here's just December:
ASTONISHING X-MEN #8
X-MEN/FANTASTIC FOUR #1
X-MEN #165
UNCANNY X-MEN #453
X-MEN: THE END DREAMERS AND DEMONS #6
X-FORCE #5
EXCALIBUR #8
SABRETOOTH #4
X-MEN UNLIMITED #6
WOLVERINE #23
CABLE/DEADPOOL #10
MYSTIQUE #22
NEW X-MEN #8
NIGHTCRAWLER #4
GAMBIT #5
ROGUE #6
EXILES #55, #56, & #57
ULTIMATE X-MEN
EMMA FROST
JUBILEE
MADROX
DISTRICT X
That's not even counting the trade collections or Ultimate Nightmare & Secret!

I know I can be <slightly> negative when it comes to Marvel & DC's superhero output, but I do think that Marvel in particular has done very little to garner any support from me, and I'm <slightly> bitter over how much money I've already given them over the decades for boxes of colored paper that are probably worth more as donations to charity.

X-Statix was a really great book - one I took great pleasure in reading and savoring - and I think the creators wanting to move on speaks more the level of creative interference they were suddenly experiencing. IMO, the Princess Di storyline went all wrong with their sudden and awkward replacement star. Milligan and Alred are both artists who are probably not used to being over-ruled so cavalierly to the obvious detriment of the end-product.

Not trying to contradict you or anything, I just think the company Marvel has to take some of the responsibility in the loss of this great series.

That being said, I'd love LACUNA to be part of the Avengers or something. Maybe she could do her show from there?

#473142 09/14/04 10:28 PM
Applicant
Applicant
They definitely picked the right time although...

PREPARE YOUR STONES

although THEY MADE NO EXPLANATION OF WHAT THE HELL WAS GOING ON!!! That was BULL CRAP!

Okay, Milligan & Allred were over it (that was apparent immediately following 'Back from the Dead'), but couldn't they have had a twist as to WHO whacked X-Statix? It sure as hell wasn't just random terrorists! That doesn't explain Dead Girl's death, does it? And Doop had his BRAIN REMOVED and survived in the previous arc, a missile launched death ain't working for me.

Yes, it was all fun while it lasted but I really feel like they just gave us a 'FU' ending.

I am glad they all croaked. Not that that'll stop Rob Liefield from reviving and revising them for the upcoming 'Grim & Gritty' 90's style comic revival (mark my words, it's coming- five years away tops).

Okay, throw your stones.

I love Vol.4
Prepare your stones.
#473143 09/15/04 06:05 AM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
No stone throwing allowed here. I can see where you would feel this way, easily.

But I kind of liked the whole "Does it matter?" vibe.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#473144 09/15/04 09:56 AM
Active
Active
I'll miss this book but it had a good run, I'm glad the creators got to decide the ending instead of the team fading into obscurity and then showing up as Red Shirts in a big crossover.

Too bad about Doop, tho. Would'a been cool for him to survive and stick around for odd cameos.

OTOH, I'm looking forward to the X-title Milligan is taking over, whichever one that is. Hopefully my shop will be smart enough to recommend it for my pull box.

#473145 09/15/04 05:19 PM
The Present is Past
The Present is Past
Whoops, sorry that I didn't seem clear before, Andy. I meant all the solo-character series/minis they're trying now...with the likes of Gambit, Jubilee, Nightcrawler, Rogue, etc. I'm nowhere near surprised by how many X-related titles there are...it's kind of a sad fact this day and age. frown No worries about being negative...we all toss cash on books for longer than we probably would have liked to sometimes. X-Statix luckily never went that way for me.

As for the people responsible for X-Statix's death...I have mixed feeling about it being from terrorists. On the one side, they've been some of the most constant forces the team has been idly whipping off-panel or as an aside to a characterization moment...it's kind of ironic for them to meet their end that way. Not to mention, the team never really was big on super-villains (save for a few rogue mutants & alien astronauts) so much. Then again on the other side, we didn't really have some big, grand challenge or threat take the team out. They finally just all got a bad card at the same time and that was that.

I second the return of Lacuna somewhere! Great, great character, power, personality...everything!

#473146 12/26/04 04:27 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Comics reading just isn't as kewl without my monthly dose of X-Statix.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#473147 12/26/04 08:24 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
I just recently reread the entire runs of X-Force/X-Statix and the Arcudi/Huat Doom Patrol when I was going through my boxes to file stuff/shift boxloads.

*sigh*... frown

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#473148 12/27/04 02:02 AM
Rejected Substitute Reservist
I picked up the New X-Force right from the start, and I'll admit: Other than LSH, it was the only comic I'd go out of my way to get every month. I adored how Orphan warped and changed over the run. I loved the whole feel of the comic (It was wonderful. I had a soft spot for Bloke the minute I was him, and then he died. I was sad, but it really fits, doesn't it? Throw a half dozen ill trained camera hogging grandstanding mutants into a fight and people WILL die.) Cheers to X-Statix, may it forever live in our fond memories.

Oh, and pop quiz question: anyone know the name of the X-Statix applicant Corkscrew killed? I read it on a X-Board a while back and it sorta stuck with me smile

"I weighed the odds of this working versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid and, well, I did it anyway,"

- Crow T. Robot
#473149 12/27/04 07:41 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Hmm...can't remember, darn it. I even remember the issue and can see Corkscrew in my head.

As for Orphan, you do know he was Mister Sensitive again before the book ended, right?

Dan
#473150 12/31/04 11:05 AM
yes. he changed back. but to me he'll always be the revolver spinning orphan, no matter how much he changed smile

"I weighed the odds of this working versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid and, well, I did it anyway,"

- Crow T. Robot
#473151 12/31/04 04:24 PM
Leader
Leader
Well, one more Marvel title I don't have to buy anymore. I was only onboard for Mike Allred, anyway.

So-- anyone buying his NEW series?

#473152 12/31/04 06:23 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
What would that be, prof? I haven't heard what's next for Mr. A...

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#473153 01/01/05 06:19 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
He's doing an adaptation of the BOOK OF MORMON. I've heard the art is stunning, though I'm not going to buy it.

His next project, though, is rumoured to be METAL MEN for DC. Now THAT will be a MUST-BUY!

#473154 01/01/05 06:46 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by MLLASH:
He's doing an adaptation of the BOOK OF MORMON. I've heard the art is stunning, though I'm not going to buy it.
Its out. It sucks. But then I can't stand Allred's work anyway. Combine that with Mormonism and you have something that I'd actually burn.

Sorry but his 'art' is a big turnoff to me.

#473155 01/01/05 07:30 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Art is a subjective thing, but it makes me sad to think of a soul who is "turned off" by Allred's peppy pop-art! Well, he's so different from the norm he's certainly not going to appeal to everyone.

I personally am not buying his Book of Mormon adaptation due to the subject matter.

#473156 01/22/06 05:20 AM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I sincerely doubt I'm the only one here who bought X-STATIX: DEAD GIRL # 1.

SPOILERS!!!

It's really more of a Dr. Strange tale, isn't it? And Stephen is pretty amusing here, following the Giffen/DeMatteis take in the current DEFENDERS mini.

And as Mockingbird EVER loked more hot than on that last page? >whew!<

#473157 01/22/06 08:14 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
X-STATIX PRESENTS DEAD GIRL #1

Dr. Strange and Wong were a hoot. I didn't even notice that Dead Girl was a no-show till the end of the book.

The only wrong note was Miss America. I know the 'dead' aren't necessarily the same characters as they were when living, but Madelaine seemed completely divorced from any previous appearance.

That's a quibble, as this looks to be a fun mini. Imagine that

#473158 01/23/06 07:16 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Can't wait to get this! C'MON, February shipment!

I'm updating the thread title for the Deadgirl mini.

#473159 02/17/06 12:00 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
X-STATIX PRESENTS DEAD GIRL #2

Wacky and still a hoot. Dr. Strange as the object of dead gals lust... gigglesnort. "Yes and since I've been with you, I haven't given one thought to my hemorrhoids." I laughed out loud, something I don't do that often when reading.

I was a little disappointed by the treatment of the Whizzer and Miss America (though her 'racist' tendencies make perfect sense, timeline wise- they just seem a poor fit for the character). Phantom Rider was fun.

#473160 02/25/06 04:54 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
WOW-- I'd buy a Milligan-written DR. STRANGE book in a hot minute! That hemmoroids line was absolutely priceless!

The Dead girl as meat creature was so grotesque, yet hilarious. This is frickin' brilliant.

Though I'm still not sure how Dead girl actually could die anyway. Oh, well, no matter.

Yeah, the Miss America stuff is fitting timewise, but it's still no fun to see a "hero" act like this, especially one that I've been fond of in the past. But Milligan likes to play with racial themes, and it IS interestng to see Tyke's reactions to the 40s sentiments.

Considring what The Phantom Rider did to Mockingbird during her WCA stnt, I'm not sure I like what has the potential to develop here.

This book is an "A" so far. great stuff.

#473161 03/03/06 08:38 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Wow! Miss A's slur in response to Tyke's come-on/grope -completely- caught me offguard there... glad to see I wasn't alone. Like you guys, I took it as a sentiment of her time, and not necessarily a personal prejudice on her part- especially as her apology and contact with Tyke seemed genuine. Although her bit at the end with Wong cracked me up.

I was wondering about Rider and Bobbi. PAD played fast & loose with past continuity between Madrox and Siryn recently, But the events that took place between these two in West Coast Avengers are too big to sweep under the carpet, and I don't think Milligan's the type to shy away from it either.

#473162 05/13/06 05:52 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I read # 4.

This has almost become an X-STATIX reunion, as I suspected it might anyway.

Lots of fun, and the "Oshtur's infamous flatulence" line complete bowled me over. I swear, Milligan would get me buying a regular Dr. Strange series in a heartbeat.

So far, a fantastic follow-up/companion to X-STATIX. 1 issue to go.

#473163 08/05/12 09:11 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper

#473164 08/05/12 09:16 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Apparently I'm about a year-plus late on this info! (!!!!!)

Well, THIS time, Doop's drawn by Allred!

#473165 08/09/12 11:09 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Also, looks like Mike Allred is on a new ongoing title by Marvel too in a few months! "FF", the sister title to Fantastic Four will be drawn by Allred and star She-Hulk, Ant Man, Medusa and some new chick called "Miss Thing" (a celebutante type, playing on how that slang is used in popular culture).

Looks pretty groovy!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,621
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Anti-Matter Eater Lad, Hunt Drouin, Spellbinder
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
mhr_kara
mhr_kara
Earth-247
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star