Roll Call
0 members (), 36 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 09/27/24 01:54 AM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by Gaseous Lad - 09/26/24 07:49 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 09/26/24 07:49 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 09/26/24 07:45 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 09/26/24 06:54 PM
Rejected Ideas for Inane MMB Threads...
by rickshaw1 - 09/26/24 05:41 PM
Why love the legion?
by Boy Kid Lad - 09/26/24 03:47 PM
UFO (1970)
by profh0011 - 09/26/24 03:19 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Was #50 the last we'll see of Lyle and Val?
#11665 02/02/09 04:31 PM
M
matlock Offline OP
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
M
Because I firmly believe the Geoff Johns approved "Action" Legion is what will emerge as the version we'll be reading after "Legion of 3 Worlds" I am expecting that barring whatever token appearance the reboot/threeboot teams make in the mini, we've seen the last of the threeboot. Well, I can't say that I liked the threeboot versions especially but the Zero Hour team had versions I liked and told me that those are still viable characters.

I suppose if they do an amalgamated Legion maybe they'll pull in a version of them. I'm not very enthused by that idea though, although it would be nice to get Gates and XS back in.

Re: Was #50 the last we'll see of Lyle and Val?
#11666 02/02/09 08:30 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I liked Reboot Lyle, despised Threeboot Lyle was was ambivalent about Preeboot Lyle.

I wouldn't mind seeing Jacques as the regular IK again.

I think Val is rather redundant at this point. Reboot Lu or Threeboot Nura are at least as good in martial arts, plus have other things going for them.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#11667 02/02/09 09:19 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
"Last" is a long time. I'll take the under.

#11668 02/03/09 01:40 PM
M
matlock Offline OP
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
M
Well, last til it's time to make a token copyright maintainence appearance anyway.

#11669 02/03/09 03:50 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
As to redundancy, hasn't there always been overlap between certain characters ? Or certain times when the "no duplication" rule was at least bent-- if not broken ?

Redundancy by itself isn't grounds for writing out a character, at least not to me.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#11670 02/03/09 04:25 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
They will both star in DC's upcoming mega-crossover mini: "Ultimate Final 52 Count-up Crisis of 4 Worlds".

Spoiler: Don't miss it if you're a Dagon the Avenger and Modulus fan!!

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#11671 02/04/09 03:48 AM
Active
Active
in the words of lightning lad, "was i dead-dead or superhero dead?"

i doubt that'll be the last we see of lyle or val (even though i hate val with such a passion). we need someone smart enough to keep up with querl, after all? and, you know, if he's not in this boot, just wait til the next one. <3

#11672 02/04/09 09:44 AM
Active
Active
I would love to see Lyle and Val again. And we might see Val, I think Shooter wrote Triplicate Girl and Val going in the bubble (another unresolved plot point) so that THEY could die in the worst way in the most awful series ever (Countdown) just in case anyone wants to reference that dreck again.

So I think Val could be back, but I will miss Lyle.

Long Live the Legion!
#11673 02/04/09 11:42 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I just want Jacques back. Is that so wrong? Am I so evil to have never liked a version of Lyle as much as Jacques? To me Lyle worked best as a dead inspiration to the others (and a stark reminder that fighting a group like the Fatal Five isn't kid stuff).

Val's tougher because I liked KK a lot and wasn't enamored with the circumstances of his death, but it did serve a purpose in the overall narrative and I though it was a cheat that Johns brought him back without explanation in the Lightning Saga (especially since it was just to off him again in an even worse manner).

#11674 02/04/09 12:28 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by cleome:
As to redundancy, hasn't there always been overlap between certain characters ? Or certain times when the "no duplication" rule was at least bent-- if not broken ?

Redundancy by itself isn't grounds for writing out a character, at least not to me.
Perhaps... but I'm tired of Giffen killing off Val, so I wouldn't mind if there were no Val to kill off until after Giffen retires from comics.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#11675 02/04/09 12:44 PM
Kent:

lol

That wasn't exactly one of my favorite-est Legion moments either, even though I wasn't a huge fan of Val. I liked cartoon Val, though I agree with some others who feel that the script-vetters at WB should have been grabbed and shaken hard over the laundry bit. [Gack.]

rouge:

I'm a Jacques fan, too. The thing that always interested me about him was that by the time he joined, the Legion was a team of adults, not teens. He had that fish-out-of-water aspect because he didn't know his teammates when they were all younger, much less have his powers back then. If my memory's correct, he joined in the aftermath of a combat situation (in which he had a personal stake, obviously) and ended up in the thick of Great Darkness about ten minutes after that. Most of us would turn into basket cases under that kind of stress, but Jacques never did.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#11676 02/04/09 01:09 PM
Active
Active
I like Jacques too (except for the stupid accent *rolls eyes*) but I've enjoyed Lyle as well and will miss him. I don't like Jacques as much as I liked early postboot Lyle.

And I agree, the non-explanation return of Karate Kid (although nice to see him) really ticked me off, than just for him to die again, so so so so so so stupid. So that's why I think they will replace that Val and Trip (er, Una) with threeboot version, so that Countdown's stink won't touch the new version of the Legion.

Long Live the Legion!
#11677 02/04/09 01:12 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
I haven't disliked any of the iKids, but the best one has been threeboot-Lyle. Even Shooter couldn't mess him up too much.

#11678 02/04/09 01:57 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Jacques had the 'comic-book foreign speaker' problem of knowing how to use English terms like disenfranchisement and quantum distortion, but getting tripped up on phrasebook stuff like 'yes' and 'no.'

"Wow, Mysa! Your incantation caused all of the cybernetics in his body to be violently rejected by his organic body! C'est fantastique!"

"The hell is wrong with you, Jacques?"

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#11679 02/09/09 11:11 AM
Active
Active
i dont like Jacques..i hate stupid accents in comics and he has one , so bring lyle back

&#12288; &#65295;l&#12289;
&#65438;&#65288;&#65439;&#65380; &#65377; &#65303;
&#12288;l&#12289;&#65438; ~&#12541;
&#12288;&#12376;&#12375;f_, )&#12494;

i do commissions
#11680 02/09/09 11:18 AM
M
matlock Offline OP
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
M
I don't remember a lot of "Sacre bleu!" moments in V4, and Jacques was used effectivly there.

#11681 02/09/09 11:27 AM
Originally posted by kidflash2fan:
i dont like Jacques..i hate stupid accents in comics and he has one , so bring lyle back
It really wouldn't be so hard to lose the accent, with the explanation that he started to shed it once he got acclimated to life in a cosmopolitan place like New Metropolis.

(I had Lyle speaking Acadian French in one of my fics, sort of. Why ? Because I'm EVIL !!!)

#11682 02/09/09 11:30 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
It's funny though, because I come from a bilingual province where people do talk like that. There's even a regional dialect "Shiac", where people mix grammatically bad French and English into an all but unintelligible hodgepodge (except to those who speak both languages well enough to pull out the meanings).

There's even a local superhero here, who's comedy comes almost entirely from his use of Shiac.

http://www.acadieman.com

#11683 02/09/09 11:39 AM
Yeah, rouge. And by the "real" 31st century, Leetspeak will probably be an officially recognized language, too.

I was watching snippets of one of my favorite Bollywood melodramas on youtube the other day, and you often see characters punctuating their native tongue with English slang, as well.

The accent thing never bothered me at all, personally. Then again, I never bought the argument that Tyroc didn't work as a character because sound-based powers don't work in a silent medium. Uh, c'mon, Paul Levitz (or whoever made the original argument). Everyone's dialogue and the sound effects are all taking place in a silent medium, too. Pull my other one. tongue

#11684 02/09/09 01:59 PM
Active
Active
I just don't like it because I thought it was stupid that a French accent in Interlac would sound EXACTLY the same as it would in English *rolls eyes*. For some reason I always felt we were getting the Legion through some kind of translator (they were speaking a different language, but we had to have it in English so we could follow the conversation) but if you keep regional accents than you destroy that myth (translators generally do not add accents from one language to another).

So if they were really just speaking English, then what was the point of Interlac (as an alphabet?) It destroyed some of the magic of the Legion for me, the sort of "this is a fully realized world" just for some cheap gimmick. I mean, why didn't the other Legionnaires have English accents or something?

I probably didn't explain that very well but any accents that take place in a book where the characters are supposed to be speaking an entirely different language bugs the heck out of me.

Oh, and in reference to the original topic, I thought that Shooter had put threeboot Karate Kid and Triplicate Girl into the bubble so that they could replace the "original" versions in Countdown.

however, as of Legion of 3 Worlds #3 (um, spoilers?)

Threeboot Val does show up, so there goes my theory that he was supposed to take place of Orignial Val in Countdown. Bummer.

Long Live the Legion!
#11685 02/09/09 02:31 PM
(snip)

stephbarton:

I just don't like it because I thought it was stupid that a French accent in Interlac would sound EXACTLY the same as it would in English *rolls eyes*...
(shrug) I never assumed that the sound would be the same. In our own era, even in France itself not everyone would have the same accent. Cajun French might sound unintelligible if spoken to a Quebecois even though both spring from the same "parent," and so on.

Same with Interlac itself, for that matter. YMMV, but to me the level of differentiation you describe would be less important in a visual medium like comics. In "just plain" prose, it would matter more. Again, just one fan's opinion.

#11686 02/09/09 03:48 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by stephbarton:
So if they were really just speaking English, then what was the point of Interlac (as an alphabet?) It destroyed some of the magic of the Legion for me, the sort of "this is a fully realized world" just for some cheap gimmick. I mean, why didn't the other Legionnaires have English accents or something?
As a fan of alien stuff in general, the idea that all Braalians, Titanians, Imskians, Durlans, Coluans, Winathians, Bgtzlns!, Carggites, Daxamites, Talokkians, Rimborians, Starhavenites, etc., etc. speak flawless unaccented Interlac/English and Jacques somehow can't, despite being an Earthling, made Jacques seem like he had some sort of learning disability.

Phantom Girl can speak without an accent, and she's from a planet with no vowels! Saturn Girl can speak without an accent, and she's from a planet where people don't even talk out loud! Chameleon Boy can speak without an accent, and his people don't even have mouths half the time!

But Jacques? He rides the short bus or something, because all of these *aliens* can speak the 'common language' of *Earth* better than he can!

Given his disability, the rest of the Legion, who've already demonstrated their ability to speak alien languages multi-lingually without accent, should take a week or so to learn French just so that the poor dear doesn't have to struggle to understand them when they start using big words...

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,055
Posts1,048,824
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
minesurfer
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
lychanthrope
lychanthrope
Bristol IN USA
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star