Roll Call
0 members (), 6 Murran Spies, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Worlds Nine updated 26 June 24
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 03:19 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:58 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:57 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:53 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:53 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:52 AM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Garth Ranzz(Lightning Lad): what's his roll in the LSH?
#7957 08/16/05 04:02 PM
Applicant
OP Offline
Applicant
Garth Ranzz, founder, first to die and come back first married (at least in most versions of the Legion). Other legionnaires have roles regardless of the versions. Brainy is the brain, Ultra boy is the wild child, Cosmic Boy the leader. I hope Garth's roll will be significant in this version of the Legion. So far I like the fact that he came up w/ the rallying cry, "eat it grandpa" but one thing I loved about the last version is Garth gave his life to save the lost legionnaires and exemplified what it meant to be a Legionnaire. Now I don't want Garth to die in this version but I do want him to have a place of prominence. BTW I love the costume redesign.

Re: Garth Ranzz(Lightning Lad): what's his roll in the LSH?
#7958 08/16/05 07:37 PM
Reservist
Reservist
My memory must be going, because I thought Bouncing Boy and Duo Damsel got married before Garth and Imra. BB/DD got married drawn by Cockrum, and LL/SG by Grell, so I think I'm right... but it's been a while, and I can't find my LSH treasury edition to see when it came out...

#7959 08/17/05 04:42 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Chuck and Lu's marriage (Superboy #200, 1974) preceded theirs by 5 years, but Garth and Imra's marriage was the first to be depicted, in 1962. So you're both correct, sorta.

I think it'd be a refreshing change if LL turned out to be preternaturally lucky in this new lifetime. Considering all he's accomplished in the past (saving planets and galaxies, etc.), Cosmic Kharma has got to kick in on his behalf eventually.

He should also dump Imra, because, you know, she keeps getting him killed and stuff. She's no fun, anyway, and Lord knows he's overdue for a few laughs.

#7960 08/17/05 06:10 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Tromium:
Chuck and Lu's marriage (Superboy #200, 1974) preceded theirs by 5 years, but Garth and Imra's marriage was the first to be depicted, in 1962. So you're both correct, sorta.I
Are you referring to the Luma Lynai story in ACTION, Tromium?

Superman went into the future just in time to see the Adult Legionnaires celebrating Christmas. Supes gives Saturn Woman an innocent kiss over a mistletoe branch, Lightning Man steps in and tells him to "stop kissing my wife"...

#7961 08/17/05 06:42 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Innocent my a$$, she was definitely trying to get a rise outta Garth under the excuse of miseltoe and too much holiday punch. LAM you should join the Saturn Girl apologist organization here on Legion World. I think I know the organizer. wink

Garth should dump her, they've always been together but they never seem right together. Garth is a fearless man of action and yet next to her he always seems to be an impotent whipping boy. (I'm also kinda interested what havoc a single, unattached Imra could bring to the galaxy. Betcha next to her Dream Girl looks like a nun)

#7962 08/17/05 08:15 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by legionadventureman:
Are you referring to the Luma Lynai story in ACTION, Tromium?
You mean the precursor of Power Girl? wink Yeah.

In addition to launching Imra's shameless hussy career, the story is also notorious for suggesting incestous feelings between the two super-cousins. They laid a lot of sordid groundwork in those early days, lol!

It occurs to me that LL should hook up with Violet instead. If Vi could fall for one sibling in an earlier continuity, why couldn't she fall for the other one now? Sorta like "Brideshead Revisited" in reverse.

Unfortunately for Imra, she probably wouldn't get the chance to wreck much romantic havoc before getting whacked by some villain or monster because Garth wasn't looking out for her sorry butt.

EmeraldGladiator, I apologize if I helped steer your thread off-topic, but I like LL too, and I only want what's best for the misguided lad.

#7963 08/17/05 09:24 AM
Applicant
OP Offline
Applicant
Hey there is no female Legionnaire sexier than Dream Girl at least the one I grew up w/ back when she was Legion leader, now she and Garth would be verrry interesting. In some ways the Legion is hamstrung by history. History is a problem when you keep relaunching, because you keep having to tell the same story over and over again. Wow Garth and Nura stranded on a planet but nah can't go there because we all know he 'belongs' to Imra. That was a touching schene between Phantom Girl and Monel but you can't go there because of Ultra boy and Shadow Lass.

#7964 08/17/05 09:26 AM
Applicant
OP Offline
Applicant
Back on subject though Lightning Lad and Dream girl would be fantastic but it would say something about Garth as a man, one girlfriend can read your mind the other can know what you are going to do. He would never get away with anything, just another example of Garth's poor luck, LOL!

#7965 08/18/05 03:56 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I think, should Garth break with Imra (not what I'd personally like to see), then he should hook up with Shadow Lass. I think Tas and Garth would make a great couple. She would be the dark clouds to his lightning.

[Linked Image]

#7966 08/18/05 04:10 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
I think, should Garth break with Imra (not what I'd personally like to see), then he should hook up with Shadow Lass. I think Tas and Garth would make a great couple. She would be the dark clouds to his lightning.

[Linked Image]
You know, I never thought about them together but now that you mention it, I think they would make an awesome couple. I've never liked Tas & Mon together but Tas and Garth would really work for me.

Hook Imra up with Brainy. He likes blonds and the two of them can happily scheme & conive together until the end of time. He can probably develope a force field for himself that blocks her telepathy and she can spend hours trying to figure out his mind. A Match made in heaven (or hell) laugh

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#7967 08/19/05 07:51 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Tromium:
In addition to launching Imra's shameless hussy career, the story is also notorious for suggesting incestous feelings between the two super-cousins. They laid a lot of sordid groundwork in those early days, lol!
Heh, "suggesting?" "I want to marry someone exactly like you, but I can't marry you, because it would have been illegal on Krypton (which matters for some reason), so I'll marry your precise adult duplicate instead!" I don't think there was anything left to "suggest" after that...

#7968 08/19/05 07:59 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Actually, i think i may have said this before or not, but i really can't see anything happen between Dream Girl or Star Boy now that his skin has turned a shade darker...what is Mark Waid attempting to do? Wreck the group dynamic which wants Imra and Garth together, Jo and Tinya, Ayla and Brin, Shady and Mon...

#7969 08/19/05 08:11 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I actually dislike all those classic couples. They all seem to be opposites glommed together.

Garth/Tinya or Garth/Shady(new version) would seem much more intuitive fits. Those two also kinda fit with what I see Garth's role with the LSH as. Sort of up-front action oriented charge into the battle, with no time for psychological head games or backroom politics.

Now putting a little blonde hussy between the new versions of Cos and Brainy would be too evil for words. They'd have to learn eventually that she'd been using both of them of course but not before the bar room brawl.

#7970 10/28/06 11:54 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Will he take on the role of PINUP MODEL ?

#7971 10/29/06 03:05 AM
Active
Active
if garth made the roll under no circumstance should you eat it.

LightningLord1

#7972 11/04/06 08:51 PM
MYG Offline
Active
Active
I personally can't see Garth or Imra with anyone else, in any incarnation...ever!!! They are the classic "Legion couple", and if all else changes, that at least should remain constant. I feel the same way about Jo and Tinya. They will always be together in my mind. I really couldn't accept Tinya & Brin together in the last Legion version, except maybe as a short term fling or something. Also, I always thought Tasmia and Mon'el were a great couple. I just love all of the classic stuff...they were what they were, and it worked. Even when things didn't "work" (Ayla and Brin, Thom and Nura, Brainy and Kara, & Salu and Ord Quelu or Gim depending...), the tension between "broken couples" always proved to be great interaction.

Long Live the Legion!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,440
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star