Roll Call
0 members (), 13 Murran Spies, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 06/25/24 08:19 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 06/25/24 08:18 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 06/25/24 07:52 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 06/25/24 07:50 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 06/25/24 04:30 PM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Gaseous Lad - 06/25/24 03:00 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/25/24 01:13 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/25/24 07:48 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Already dead? (rumor/potential spoiler)
#74518 04/07/05 07:55 AM
Tromium Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
A rumor started circulating over at rac.dc.lsh, in this thread , that the new LSH has already lost a team member, namely Ferro Lad. Without lending too much credence to it, it does have a certain ring of truth in that: (1) Andrew is one of the few still-missing Adventure characters who is neither comedic nor a continuity problem; (2) the death of Ferro Lad was, iirc, the first LSH story Waid ever read as a child, and he might be inclined to let sleeping Ferros lie.

How would you feel about this retroactive death if the rumor turned out to be true? Is Andy better off dead?

Re: Already dead? (rumor/potential spoiler)
#74519 04/07/05 08:36 AM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Good question. I gotr hooked on the Legion at right around the same time. We lived without Ferro Lad for so long that it was really wierd to see him in the book again years and years later.
I wasn't too thrilled with his characterization throughout the reboot and the DnA era. The Ferro Lad that slugged Superboy was a dynamic owerhouse while Ferro came off like a wimp.

Maybe Mark's just decided to avoid the anger of the Legion fanbase by simply avoiding the character. It would be tough to make me happy with a Silver Age style Andrew and still make newer Legion fans happy with a new version of the reboot Andy.

#74520 04/07/05 09:57 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
The SW6 Ferro was perfect. Then they wussified him in the reboot. tongue

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#74521 04/07/05 01:19 PM
A
Active
Active
A
This concept would be easier for me to take than killing off one of the folks we're getting to know now. Less wasteful, irritating, and showy, but still a good flashback story.

#74522 04/07/05 01:40 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
This came up here awhile back if I remember. I don't think I'd be really surprised though I'd really like to see an SW6 style Ferro Lad settle in for a long run. He was pretty fun and the current team could use another brawny-type. Other than Ultra Boy and Colossal Boy (Micro Lad) they're kind of short on the heavy hitters.

#74523 04/07/05 02:03 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Perhaps he was killed in the Zero-Some Encounter?

#74524 04/07/05 02:45 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
If there is an already-dead Legionnaire, Ferro Lad would seem to be the most likely suspect.

Which leads me to believe Mark wouldn't go that route.

My other theory re: Ferro Lad is that he is the mysterious "brown boots" character, and when he finally appears it will be sans mask.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#74525 04/07/05 03:07 PM
Tromium Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Perhaps he was killed in the Zero-Some Encounter?
Or the Fusionstrike case, the one where "It. didn't. look. like. a. bomb." Maybe there was more than one bomb.

Sure, he could be Mystery Boots - I hadn't thought of that before - but I have a hard time imagining Andy as a secret op in cahoots with Brainy. Douglas, maybe, especially if he were being manipulated by B5. He was always the less stable brother.

Truth be told, my favorite version of Ferro/Ferro Lad was his ghost. It would be funny (in a ghastly, morbid way) if there was a statue of Ferro Lad at the new Legion HQ which turned out not to be a statue at all, but Ferro Lad's corpse frozen in iron form. {shudder}

#74526 04/07/05 04:41 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
He could be a great character to write in flashback. It would be a nice hook most books probably couldn't pull off, not having such a character that has grown after death like Ferro Lad, had.

Stories after his death were part of the power of the original character anyhow, though there was at least a bit of time to get attached before he was demolecularafied.

#74527 04/07/05 05:20 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
SW6 Andrew Nolan was the first Ferro Lad I ever met and I *really* liked him. He was definitely one of my faves in the old Legionnaires series and I remember being really upset when Zero Hour started to play havoc with everything and he became one of the first to disappear.

When I eventually went and bought back-issues of the old Adventures and Superboy comics I realised what a cool character the original Ferro Lad had been too and how important his death was to the mythos of the Legion. Much like Barry Allen and Jason Todd and Gwen Stacy he's one of those characters that just needed to stay dead.

The less said about the reboot Ferro the better.

So if Andrew Nolan is already dead in this universe then I'm of conflicted emotions. On the one hand, I like Ferro Lad and it would be a shame not to read new stories about him. But on the other hand, if anyone on this team is gonna die I'd rather it be him, seeing as how we've had decades now to get used to his death and everything.

The other reason I kinda don't wanna see Ferro Lad in this new universe is that I've always thought that his whole concept is completely flawed and really doesn't fit in a 31st Century setting. Its always seemed kinda ridiculous to me that with all the crazy looking aliens and what-not running around in that time, one guy would wear a mask because he thought he was ugly for not looking like everyone else. If the background panels of a Legion comic have taught me anything its that NO-ONE looks like anyone else!

Unless Andrew Nolan comes back with a radical re-imagining then I kinda hope he is already the first statue in the Hall of Heroes.

#74528 04/07/05 09:05 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Who said that Ferrolad is the dead reimagined legionnaire? Maybe is Chemical King.

#74529 04/07/05 09:19 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Lobo Gris:
Who said that Ferrolad is the dead reimagined legionnaire? Maybe is Chemical King.
Waid has supposedly hinted that it was Ferro. Don't ask me where, I'm just quoting from Tromium's source.

And unless they've come up with a different name (Catalyst Kid?), I don't think we'll see Condo this time around or at least not for a while.

#74530 04/07/05 09:24 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hmm...now I wonder if they decide to have Ferro Lad deceased this time, I wonder how much will it affect the 21st century where Ferro was from and the event - the Final Night - and Ferro's origin? will it revised again? or what? This question really begs for an answer.

#74531 04/07/05 09:33 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Well, assuming this doesn't get changed in any Crisis-type stuff, the Ferro that came from the 21st Century should still exist - he's just lost with most of the rest of the team.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#74532 04/08/05 10:07 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I kind of like the idea of Ferro Lad already being dead. Even though I liked SW6 Ferro Lad, the mystique of the character has always been that he was the first Legionnaire to die and stay dead (for me at least). With that taken away, it took a lot away from the character in general for me.

#74533 04/08/05 04:38 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by superboymddjr:
Hmm...now I wonder if they decide to have Ferro Lad deceased this time, I wonder how much will it affect the 21st century where Ferro was from and the event - the Final Night - and Ferro's origin? will it revised again? or what? This question really begs for an answer.
Not really. While Reboot Andy is lost in time, or simply in an alternate timeline if they get home, Threeboot Ferro Lad could simply be a future inheritor of the title - similar to all the Flashes, Thunder/Captain Marvel, preboot Supergirl or the 'Digital Justice' Batman.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#74534 04/11/05 03:37 AM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
THE Ferro Lad wasn't from the 21st century. He was a mutant from the 31st century so there would be no timeline disruptions.

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#74535 04/11/05 05:40 AM
Reservist
Reservist
In principle, I agree with you on *THE* Ferro Lad (pre-boot) being from the 30th century.

Thing is, for the continuity freak in me, this reboot does present a bigger question. The Ferro we saw running around the 31st century (DnA) was from the 21st century. That Ferro even figured prominently in the DCU crossover event FINAL NIGHT. With this reboot, it seems like the LSH's ties to the 21st century's been severed. When Waid says he's not wiping out the Legion that was around before the Waid-boot, does that mean they're still really out there?

Igee The Mighty!
#74536 04/11/05 06:06 AM
Tromium Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
The reboot Legion (including reboot Ferro) is presumably still floating around in Hypertime, but Waid has stated that the new continuity is not connected to the previous one. If Andrew does appear in the 3boot, dead or alive, I would expect him to be modeled more closely after his Silver Age Ferro Lad than reboot Ferro, simply because Waid seems to prefer the SA and Levitz versions of the characters.

#74537 04/11/05 10:45 AM
Active
Active
it's interesting to remember that in both pre-boot and post-boot, Ferro had a TWIN BROTHER. perhaps in WnK's imagining it's HIS turn to shine?

Gorilla Nebula
#74538 04/12/05 07:19 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Tromium:
A rumor started circulating over at rac.dc.lsh, in this thread , that the new LSH has already lost a team member, namely Ferro Lad. Without lending too much credence to it, it does have a certain ring of truth in that: (1) Andrew is one of the few still-missing Adventure characters who is neither comedic nor a continuity problem; (2) the death of Ferro Lad was, iirc, the first LSH story Waid ever read as a child, and he might be inclined to let sleeping Ferros lie.

How would you feel about this retroactive death if the rumor turned out to be true? Is Andy better off dead?
That was me who made that first post, but I could have sworn I heard that rumor *here*. I'd personally like to see him show up. After all, if Waid wants to be different in story content from that of the Silver Age, he shouldn't kill off Ferro Lad.

Dan
#74539 04/13/05 09:01 AM
Tromium Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Originally posted by ferroboy:
That was me who made that first post, but I could have sworn I heard that rumor *here*. I'd personally like to see him show up. After all, if Waid wants to be different in story content from that of the Silver Age, he shouldn't kill off Ferro Lad.
Matlock said the same thing earlier, and I think you're both right about the rumor originating here. IIRC, it came out of a conversation someone had with one of the creators at a conference late last year, but I can't recall the details and I'm too lazy to go searching for it.

I have nothing against Andrew (other than his posboot depiction) but if there is to be a 3boot Ferro Lad, I prefer the idea of Andrew as the celebrated, dead hero and the somewhat imbalanced Douglas as his replacement (reference to LSH v.2 #300).

#74540 04/13/05 11:31 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Tromium:
I have nothing against Andrew (other than his posboot depiction) but if there is to be a 3boot Ferro Lad, I prefer the idea of Andrew as the celebrated, dead hero and the somewhat imbalanced Douglas as his replacement (reference to LSH v.2 #300).
That would be a cool idea, T[I still want to use the]C!

#74541 04/15/05 09:05 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I loved the SW6 version of Andy, especially that scene where his mask was off and his face was melting off, like it wasn't solid without the mask...in Legionnaires I think?
That made a lot more sense to me...that he had to wear the mask to keep his face together, not so much the "I'm an ugly monster" thing.
I admit I love Ferro, the wimp post-boot version much less than the SW6, but I love him.

Unfortunately (for me anyway) I could see him already being dead in this version. Waid seems to have gone out of his way to play up characters who got the short stick last version... Dreamy, Gim, Sun Boy, LIGHT Lass sans lightning....
Sort of a return to the "old days", which to me says Andy's already got a statue.
Or IS a statue, fekt, that's a creepy idea.
Good one tho.

Scrofulus!
#74542 04/16/05 04:41 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I like Ferro a lot too, but I wouldn't mind the 3boot version being the fallen hero who represents the courage and sacrifice of being a Legionnaire.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,430
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Mars Hottentot
Mars Hottentot
Atlanta
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star