Roll Call
0 members (), 130 Murran Spies, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
My Art Commissions (Legion or Not Legion it's art)
by Gaseous Lad - 06/18/24 06:15 AM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Gaseous Lad - 06/18/24 06:13 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/18/24 04:51 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/18/24 04:51 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/18/24 04:50 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/18/24 04:50 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/18/24 04:49 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 18 June 24
by Harbinger - 06/18/24 02:41 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I confess...
#7135 02/26/04 02:39 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
I haven't purchased Legion #29 yet. I'm not all that enthusiastic about picking up #30. I'm really thinking about just waiting and buying them from the back bins.

I'm completely uninterested in the title at the moment.

Even the interesting things DnA have introduced, the Fatal Five's "prize" for instance, almost certainly aren't going to be addressed before the end of their run. The Credo arc might be worthwhile, but I'm still kind of hoping Jarth really does turn out the be the Progenitor, and I think I'm just going to be disappointed with whatever crappy resolution DnA come up with.

Remember when Legion Lost was going on? All of the speculation, trying to figure out what would happen in the big finale, whether the Progenitor would turn out to be Jan (and the shock when he actually did, and what he did, etc.)? The Legion was at least exciting at that point, even if we were horrified at some of things that happened. But since the new series started... well, past the first arc or so it really hasn't been.

I'm at the point where I really don't care what the plans for Cub are, I don't care that much what happend to Sharn Nux/Computo. I really don't care if Superboy stays or goes. I don't care if "the kiss" was romantic or not. I'm completely detached from the Legion as it exists currently.

All I can say is I hope whoever takes over as the next creative team can do a much better job restoring some actual emotional resonance with the characters they write and the stories they tell than DnA have done for quite awhile.

Re: I confess...
#7136 02/26/04 03:32 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
I understand how you feel, Eryk. I've been thinking of giving # 30 a pass, too. I'll probably buy it, just to complete the story. But I'm not expecting any surprises, other than what's been described in the reviews.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#7137 02/26/04 04:01 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The art is truly beautiful!

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
#7138 02/26/04 04:22 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Harbinger:
The art is truly beautiful!
**Purr**

Isn't that the same as saying "But she has such a nice personality?"

**Purr**

When you're in Danger or in Trouble I will be there on the Double.
#7139 02/26/04 04:28 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Not in a comic sweetheart, the art is a LARGE component of the enjoyment factor IMO.

Surely otherwise we'd read books?

And it's not necessarily a bad thing having a nice personality is it? Ask your owner ( lol don't be too mean please, but that was too obvious not to say lol )

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
#7140 02/26/04 04:31 PM
Active
Active
**Purr**

My owner, Pagan Lass, (No matter what Abin says) Not only has a nice personality, but Several other NICE Attributes as well.

**Purr**

#7141 02/26/04 04:34 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I've heard she has some nice mistletoe though no-ones ever commented on her personality as I recall. Ahhh now I understand smile

#7142 02/26/04 04:36 PM
Active
Active
**Purr**

Yes, I think you do...

**Purr**

#7143 02/26/04 04:50 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Oh I think you just caught a claw in my caboose there (actually I don't know what a caboose is but then maybe I don't want to either) and we don't want that do we sweetie smile that would be simply awful, don't you think?

#7144 02/26/04 04:55 PM
Active
Active
**Purr**

lol lol

**Purr**

#7145 02/26/04 05:22 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'll surprise you, Eryk, by agreeing with you.

I'm not "feeling" the Legion much these days... I think DnA have ridden the coattails of some excellent artists (Coipel and now Batista and HEY! I liked Kev Walker too!) and shelled out some real half-assed stories since the opening Ra's al Ghul arc.

Sure, there's been stuff I've liked, but there's been plenty I've just said "Eeh. Whatever." to as well.

I'm hoping the upcoming humour-cover issue drawn by Keith Giffen thrills me as I expect it to. Don't want to be let down.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#7146 02/26/04 07:17 PM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Even the interesting things DnA have introduced, the Fatal Five's "prize" for instance, almost certainly aren't going to be addressed before the end of their run.
Maybe as a testament to the poor writing, I barely even remember what this was about. What was the premise?

#7147 02/27/04 02:36 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
We never really knew. Tharok was broken out of his holding chamber and the Five reassembled to look for something. Not only did the Five then get whomped by Timber Wolf and a whole bunch of thresholded legionnaires, nobody on the team seemed concerned about what they were looking for. So maybe it wasn't important after all....

I had high hopes with #25 and 26, but the hope for a really unusual story or some great character exploration has certainly dimmed. This new issue (I don't have it yet either) sounds like the previous one - great art, battle scenes.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#7148 02/27/04 05:12 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
like the previous one - great art, battle scenes.
Ms Cramer sums it up best of all....

frown

#7149 02/27/04 07:02 AM
Applicant
Applicant
I'm glad to see it's not just me. That I'm not the only one "not getting it" of late.

Why start new plotlines before at least a few of the old ones get resolved?

Maybe DnA just forgot all of the plots they kept in the air?

Hopefully, the next group of writers will do better. Grife knows the Legion deserves much better.

Questions of morality are often matters of taste
#7150 02/27/04 07:28 AM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
Originally posted by Mackaybear:
Hopefully, the next group of writers will do better. Grife knows the Legion deserves much better.
I volunteer for this momentous undertaking.

#7151 02/27/04 09:22 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I haven't said, "I can wait until next month's legion comes out" for a long time now. Since probably issue 9 of the current ongoing. Since Legion is the only serial I follow, it doesn't seem to big a deal to plop down $2.50 plus tax a month. Lately though, I've just been going through the motions. Too much hype and not enough delivery on said hype.

Something Filthy!
#7152 02/27/04 10:09 AM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
Originally posted by STU:
Originally posted by Mackaybear:
[b]Hopefully, the next group of writers will do better. Grife knows the Legion deserves much better.
I volunteer for this momentous undertaking. [/b]
But STU, as amusing and intriguing as tales of your life are, I think a Legion book should be about the Legion. wink

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#7153 02/27/04 07:14 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'll admit this is the first Legion in a long time that I didn't go pick up the day it was released when I had the time to. Still haven't gotten it.

#7154 02/28/04 06:41 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'd compare DnA's run to the way Star Trek:TNG worked out. Lousy beginning, great middle, trailed off at the end.

It doesn't help that I have next to no interest in Superboy. Any of them.

I hope whoever gets the book next lays off the 20th & 21st Century reference points. They don't help.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#7155 02/28/04 01:58 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I have to totally agree with the sentiments here. I'll pick the book up, like I always do, but I can't wait for DnA to get off the book, and I've felt that way for some time, before Dream Crime.

The last year has left me bored and unattached, and I've watched as my favorite characters get one line every two or three issues with no development. Subplots go on and on, with no real attachment to any character's personality. I don't care about Superboy either.

It's been a lot of Imra, Shikari, Brainy and Jo for four years, with little of anyone else. When they finally starting giving Cos time, a long time favorite, he was a bit of a jerk.

The villians are all built up and then easily disposed, or easily taken out without a build up(Fatal Five). Ra's Al Ghul was cool, but Darkseid was a mistake IMO, I've already seen the best Legion/Darkseid saga ever, and don't really want to see another.

When I really LOVED the periods of the Legion, it was due to constant characterization, and the ability of the writer to spotlight a lot of Legionnaires. I just haven't felt either of that in the last two or so years.

I was very, very excited when Dan and Andy took over, and the stories were good at the start, but things slowed down steadily since the end of the first story arc.

On to Simone, and then beyond, and hopefully it'll be more to our tastes!

#7156 02/28/04 02:27 PM
Substitute
Substitute
It's sad to see so many die hard legion fans (myself included)feeling this way. I also have found the last year of stories very bland with no real insight to any of my favorite characters. I buy the issue each month, but I find that the excitement is gone. There was a time on Wednesdays that I would be at work counting the hours til 5:00 so I could head to the bookstore and grab the Legion. My heart would pound as I neared the comic book rack and spotted the latest issue just waiting for me! Changes in creative teams are usually looked upon with great concern. It seems to be the popular opinion that it is for the best that DNA are leaving. But, why oh why did they have to take Batista with them? His fabulous artwok has been carrying the book this past year or so and he will be sorely missed. I am not looking forward to the Giffen one shot, he was great when he first started on the Legion way back when, but he gradually went downhill. It seemed that he was just using the Legion to practice different styles of his work. I also did not like the interview in the Legion Companion with Giffen. He came across like he didn't care about the Legion. Oh, Well!! I look forward to the new creative team and hopefully an exciting new direction for the Legion. Just a thought, do you suppose that us long time readers have been reading so long that we have become "jaded" and that nothing can stir that excitement in us? I certainly hope not!!

I am smelling like a rose that somebody gave me on my birthday deathbed.
#7157 02/28/04 02:49 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I don't think we're jaded. Well, I know I'm not...

Certain things about DnA's run have excited me... Coipel's HOT art, the revelation of Ra's, LEGION LOST (just incredible!), Kev Walker's TIMBER WOLF issue looked fantastic to me, Sensor's attitude adjustment in DREAM CRIME... and I *am* excited about Gail Simone's upcoming arc, and am VERY excited about Giffen's issue. To me, he's hotter than ever.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#7158 02/28/04 03:03 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I didn't mean to diminish the great stuff that DNA did, I agree wholeheartedly that Legion Lost was one of the best story lines EVER! It took me a long while to warm up to Coipel's artwork, but after Batista came aboard, I did not miss him at all. It is just that the past few storylines have been too perdictable. No surprises. I just want to see the Legion come back to the greatness that they once had. I hope that all of us fans can find something that we like (even if we disagree) with the new team. I am not familiar with Gail Simone so I am looking forward to seeing her take. I understand that it is just for 3 or 4 issues, is that correct? If so, have they announced who will be taking over after that? I really want to see the Legion prosper and really don't want to have the title cancelled again and brought back with another issue #1. I remain optimistic.

I am smelling like a rose that somebody gave me on my birthday deathbed.
#7159 02/28/04 04:07 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Gail's arc is either a 4 or 6 parter, iirc.

DnA's latest 2 sagas, DREAM CRIME and now FOUNDATIONS, have been all super-hype but haven't truly delivered. I'll always be grateful that they (and Coipel) saved the Legion from assured cancellation, but I do feel ecited about the changes ahead!

What I want is a writer(s) who can not only tell a great exciting LEGION story, but also make me care about the characters (most of us are long-term fans and DO care about the characters, but would a new reader?), and ALSO bounce around between the many, many long-forgotten peripheral characters.

Damn it, I **WANT** to know what Laurel's doing; I **WANT** to know where Tenzil is. I **WANT** to be updated on Dirk, Dragonmage, Mysa, etc. etc. etc.

Bringing in the cadets was a move in the right direction (they at least included the LONG-forgotten Polar Boy) but not enough. Despite getting Brek back, and FINALLY getting Comet Queen, Blok and Kent Shakespeare intro'd postboot, we got a butt-load of new characters and I'm not sure THAT many new characters was necessary when there's so many UNUSED Legion characters sitting around.

Despite the failings of the previous writing team, they CERTAINLY were adept at keeping us informed on everyone's whereabouts. Too bad they had a thing about snakes.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,258
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
cleome57
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star