Roll Call
0 members (), 16 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 01:31 PM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by Set - 09/28/24 12:27 PM
Why love the legion?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:24 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:19 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:16 AM
Kill This Thread LVI - Little Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:15 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Let's talk about LSH #9 (potential spoilers aplenty)...
#61374 08/29/05 03:27 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I mentioned the Kid Q possibility in my first post but I readily admit that its a BIG stretch to think that its him or Dawnstar based solely on a hairstyle and a headband.

Its a lot less of a stretch to see the reboot Invisible Kid in that pic though and Catspaw and Ferro Lad are dead certainties!

Too soon to know if they're all in there by design or whether they're just easter eggs though.

#61375 08/29/05 06:55 PM
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
Actually, I though it might've been a flash of the future, since Invisible Kid looks like he used to in older continuities, and because other "lost' legionairres were shown. Besides this, the lighting differs from the panel next to it, which is more obviously a flashback from this Legion's early days. And don't forget, after all, that Shikari is still floating around out there, with a whole can of continuity worms to open.

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#61376 08/29/05 07:01 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Could it be that the previous legion continuities exist as comic books. And the kids are dressing and even taking names like they see in the books? They seem to have every other DC book ever published.

#61377 08/29/05 07:09 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
Could it be that the previous legion continuities exist as comic books. And the kids are dressing and even taking names like they see in the books? They seem to have every other DC book ever published.
That would be SO cool!!

"are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over- an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist."

-Tobias Funke
#61378 08/29/05 07:14 PM
Sorry, I just had another thought that I forgot to mention earlier: the depiction of the transmatter station didn't fit in well with the established notion that people in the 30th century tend not favour in-person encounters. For one thing, people seemed to too comfortable with being in a crowd. For another, it just didn't generally have the sterile look and feel of the 30th century from the current continuity.

In fact, I've meant to make the observation before that this 30th century is somewhat reminiscent of John Byrne's Krypton in some respects.

And just to be super-nit-picky, didn't it look like Invisible Kid was about to cop a feel or something when he was resetting the transmatter coordinates. Sorry, I don't mean to be a pervert; that's just what came to mind when I first saw his facial expression.

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#61379 08/29/05 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
Hmmm. I wonder if this--and the continued existence of Shikari--are a safety measure in case this version of the Legion flops?

#61380 08/29/05 07:30 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hey in the preview in TT/Legion Special the Dad tore up a copy of LSH v4. #0. Does that mean that a fictionalized version of the reboot legion (perhaps with different civilian names etc.) exists in this world?

Also we've got infinite crisis looming. There's a guy that knows there's a multiverse and that he's a comic book character in the 21st century. You don't suppose...

Those kids in the flashback are dressed like pre/reboot legionnaires because there's a sort of precrisis Jay Garrick - Barry Allen story waiting to be told in the second year.

Ie the Legion movement was inspired by comic books about another legion.

#61381 08/29/05 08:01 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
I have to believe that those are just inside jokes.

As for Shikari, I don't know if she's going to make an appearance or not in this series, but if DC was to revert to a previous continuity, they'd just find a way to do it. They wouldn't need to keep her around as an excuse.

#61382 08/29/05 08:38 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The thing with Shikari (my apologies for Dawnstar fans) she is a pretty successful redone Dawnstar. Waid may have preferred her to Dawnstar and may want to bring her back one day.

I still think she may be part of all of this. Another Brainy secret agent?

#61383 08/29/05 10:06 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Possibly. It would be fairly easy for this Brainy to have gotten Kari to trust him, especially with promises to help her find a way home.

Then again, she may just be there as a "safety" device and we'll only see her if DC's planning to bring the old Legion back.

#61384 08/30/05 08:38 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Finally read the issue yesterday. (Actually, I read it first Sunday night, but I was too tired to internalize it -- thought Invisible Kid was going to save the universe with three "words".)

I really enjoyed this issue. The fill-in art was outstanding, notwithstanding the little coloring boo-boos. Those actually make me nostalgic for 1960s and 1970s Legion stories, where this happened ALL the time. Barry deserves a lot of credit for creating a visually compelling and distinct set of characters that stand up to other artists' pencils. Also, I am sure Art Thibert deserves a lot of credit for maintaining some visual continuity in the book.

While I was annoyed with the slow pace of the book last issue, this month's installment hinted at progress. As always, I enjoyed the strong characterization.

*Invisible Kid can save the universe, if he can convince his fellow Legionnaires to trust him. Ironic that the older characters condescend to Lyle more than a little bit.

*Cham is desperate to make everyone get along. The reaction to his subterfuge was really interesting. For the other Legionnaires to trust him, he CAN'T impersonate them, ever.

*I hope Cos-haters feel a little better about him now. Knowing that his father is seriously ill, remaining behind to help the Legion is a real sacrifice. Also, Braal and the Krinns seem pretty unreconstructed from previous versions.

*Is this the first time we have ever met one of Saturn Girl's parents? Judicious use of Legion parents really enhances the characters.

*I don't know why other posters are being so hard on Triplicate Girl. She didn't seem so bad. Is this creeping Legion World misogyny? Now that Saturn Girl is behaving, must we annoint a new hussy?

The letter column was just fabulous. This kind of whimsy and humor has been missing from comics for far too long.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#61385 08/30/05 09:00 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Yes, I feel better about Cos and worse about Brainy's potential as leader. As I said in the another thread, I'm thinking right now that Saturn Girl and Invisible Kid are the keys to unity if not the next leaders.

I believe that reboot Saturn Girl had her family shown. Her parents were the Ward and June Cleaver... of Space. It came complete with envious little sister if I remember right.

I'll agree on the letter column, you can really tell that for Mark and Barry this assignment has really been a labour of love and not just a job. It comes through in the little things you see in each issue.

#61386 08/30/05 02:35 PM
Active
Active
REgarding: the Cos flashback panel...
i think it's just a case of the guest artist looking at a few old Chris Sprouse "Legionnaires" issues for inspiration on how to draw the crowd. if you look closely at the "Invisible Kid" his vertical "i" symbol is changed to horizontal lines. if it's not drawn by Barry, i'm not believing it.

Gorilla Nebula
#61387 08/30/05 09:55 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Yeah I wish the flashback alone was drawn by Barry smile . With mistakes like LL from Trom add a guest artist? Who knows what that flashback can be. smile

Trpilicate Girl? I don't even remember her this issue. As much as liked Triad (cool codename) I love the new origin. I have no probs with her.

Re: Cos vs. Brainy. I hope it doesn't turn into a mushy Cos was always right thing.

#61388 09/05/05 12:15 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I have no probs with Triplicate Girl either. She was a tad unpleasant but I don't think she went out of line.

And much as I hate to admit it, Ultra Boy, while still being a jerk, didn't step too far out of line either. Punching Cham was too much, but I can understand why he'd be angry. And his pushing Lyle out of the transmatter wasn't too bad (least he didn't lose his cool again). He still needs to be taken down a peg though.

And hey, Lightning Lad was also a bit too harsh on Cham. That line about everyone thinking he's a weirdo or something must've really hurt.

#61389 09/11/05 12:12 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I finally read it. I liked it fine, but I'll throw my support behind those clamoring for a return og Cos' (and Pol's) BLACK hair. The mass amounts of brown hair was a noticeable problem this issue.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#61390 09/11/05 05:56 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Maybe we should call this the 'BrownBoot' instead of 'ThreeBoot' (which I think is the FourthBoot, anyway).

#61391 09/13/05 04:32 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The idea about this Legion being inspired by a comic-book Legion is interesting. There was an old Justice League cartoon in which the Justice Guild (stand-in for the Justice Society) was a comic book in the League's Earth but had been real in another Earth,which had been destroyed by war and was recreated as an illusion by some mutant kid who survived this war... complicated, and complicated further by the presence of a pink-suited villain who drove a flute.... confused

However, the precedent certainly exists for this kind of flummery. Doesn't really explain how Shikari would show up as a real being, though.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#61392 09/13/05 06:15 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
It'd definitely be a mind-blowing story for followers of the old continuity. Imagine the crowd outside Legion HQ in the current comic having a conversation about a fight between the SuperMoby Dick of Space versus the Every Ten Years Monster.

The precedent for "Fictional" Shikari showing up is given in Barry Allen's Earth-1 origin as the Flash. In this story he reads Jay's old adventures and cites comics as his inspiration for taking the name. Some time after this they of course do meet.

#61393 01/05/07 05:21 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Originally posted by Vee:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
[b]
Originally posted by rjbrande:
[b][Edited to add: and on the "Hulk vs. Superman" front, I don't think there's any way Lightning Lad takes Ultra Boy without Imra...]
I haven't read the book yet but I feel the need to comment on this. Written correctly Garth could take out anyone, including the Big Red S himself. The brain, and therefore the body, is run on electrical impluses. Short-circuiting those impulses is easy enough to do. Ever shock yourself real good with just a static shock? Multiply that by a factor of at least a million (and that's most like a very, very low estimate) and just imagine what Garth could do to even someone who is 'invulnerable'.

I don't believe for a second that he would need anyone's help to take out Jo.[/b]
I agree with Scott with one minor correction/addendum. If I'm not mistaken, the brain and body (central nervous system, actually) are run on electro-magnetic impulses, so hypothetically, Cos could also take out anyone.

Where's Dr. Juan when you need him? laugh [/b]
Magnetism basically involves the movement of charged particles, so it is very closely related to electricity. You can't change a magnetic field without changing the eletrical feild associated with it, so every time Cos uses his powers, he's affecting and/or creating electrical fields as well. Also, the connection means that theoretically, if Cos developed enough control and raw power from his abilities, he could move any charged particle however he wished.

The human nervous system is run by electrical impulses created by the location of various ions near the cell membranes. Thus, if Cos was (is?) strong enough, he could use his powers to do whatever he wanted to someone's nervous system.

The downside of this is that this system is very, very complex and casual tampering with it would kill the person he was doing this to. Since I doubt we'll see Cos as a cold-blooded murderer, we probably won't see this use of his powers even attempted. About the only way he'd be able to do this successfully would be if he had incredible precision control over his powers on a level far greater than anything we've ever seen from him, and an intelligence level on par with Brainy to tell him just how far to go with his manipulation of the ions at the level of the nerve cells.

Am I boring you yet?

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,056
Posts1,048,840
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star