Roll Call
0 members (), 47 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LVI - Little Vi?
by Gaseous Lad - 09/27/24 04:16 PM
UFO (1970)
by profh0011 - 09/27/24 03:17 PM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by Boy Kid Lad - 09/27/24 01:44 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 09/27/24 01:54 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 09/26/24 07:49 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 09/26/24 07:45 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 09/26/24 06:54 PM
Rejected Ideas for Inane MMB Threads...
by rickshaw1 - 09/26/24 05:41 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fourboot Speculation Thread
#49905 09/29/08 11:02 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
So, what do you think the 4th version of the Legion could/should be like?

Gut reaction... I'd like to see the "all star" version that has been discussed here on occasion. Boil down all the best parts of what we've seen for the last 50 years, and boot it fresh. We need new awesome villains in the first arc and fresh new art... maybe someone who renders in a photorealistic style?

Why not?

Re: Fourboot Speculation Thread
#49906 09/29/08 11:03 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
By the way, I'm a traditionalist. My first wish would be to bring back the "original" Legion, and clean up all the danglers. But this thread is for a new version.

#49907 09/29/08 11:06 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
new awesome villains? I would love to see the classic villains return that have not been seen in a while - Mordru, Universo, Fatal Five, and Dark Circle...they are too classic to be ignored.

#49908 09/30/08 12:18 AM
Active
Active
I'd do something along the lines of Legends of The Dark Knight. A series of stories that would jump from version to version, from time peirod to time period. No strings attached to a monthly book. So every team could be used. And I would get only top talent so it would be a strong seller as TP.
And no monthly for a while.

#49909 09/30/08 03:02 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Legion of Super Gorillas. It's a winner!

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
#49910 09/30/08 03:50 AM
Active
Active
obviously, legion of the super pets.

#49911 09/30/08 10:31 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Matter Eater Lad and Friends..Nuff said <_< >_>

#49912 10/01/08 05:20 AM
L
Wanderer
Wanderer
L
Jamm takes over the Legion! With all the girls naked, it's sure to be a winner!

#49913 10/01/08 08:16 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
A funny animals version

or Legion of the Undead, Zombie, Vampire, Mummy versions of all boots' legionnaires.

#49914 10/01/08 09:27 AM
Active
Active
Legion of Dead Karate Kids, written by Giffen, natch.

#49915 10/01/08 09:39 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I actually think it wouldn't be a bad thing to have a fallow period without any regular LSH book for a while; A rush-to-fourboot is just a continuation of the same "churn it out" mentality that hasn't produced a great Legion story in their own book since DnA.

I'd favor seeing the Neoclassic (Johns) Legion as the main legion, but preferrably in a well planned and well executed form (whether the occiassional mini, a 50-80 issue planned run a la Starman/Sandman/Preacher, or the like... but I have no objection to seeing other Legions pop up when a decent project calls for it.

At this point, I am sick of feeling obligated to buy an ongoing series that isn't worth the cost, time and effort.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#49916 10/01/08 10:13 AM
Lost In Time
Lost In Time
Legion swimsuit specials. That way, you don't need to have a story wink

Exnihil: Novelty, if he had a power, the obvious one to me would of course be "The Power of Grayskull"
#49917 10/01/08 11:45 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Mike-Grell's Men of the Legion calendar (decade-long version)

#49918 10/01/08 03:54 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Originally posted by superboymddjr:
new awesome villains? I would love to see the classic villains return that have not been seen in a while - Mordru, Universo, Fatal Five, and Dark Circle...they are too classic to be ignored.
I'd need it to be the coolest new take on those villains EVER.

Actually, what might be interesting to see is a minor villain get a major upgrade. Make some obscure lame character really powerful and tough to beat.

#49919 10/01/08 05:27 PM
Devil's Advocate
Devil's Advocate
That's sort of what they did in the late 1980s/early 1990s with Starfinger.

Watching television is not an activity.
#49920 10/01/08 08:55 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Acid Digestion Lad:
Matter Eater Lad and Friends..Nuff said <_< >_>
There's already 24 issues of this written and ready to be drawn.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#49921 10/01/08 09:39 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Do you think the Legion would work as good subject matter for the 2009 weekly (assuming DC does one)?

#49922 10/01/08 10:12 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Colossal Boy:
Do you think the Legion would work as good subject matter for the 2009 weekly (assuming DC does one)?
It depends. I still think DC would do better if they worked the Legion for a while as a series of special miniseries with established writers/artists, out of continuity, toying with the many teams LSH had. But a 12-page LSH story on a weekly title wouldn't hurt. But I just don't see the point or the financial reason.

#49923 10/01/08 10:15 PM
Candidate
Candidate
I'd go for a Legion Of Tots as the new legion. Should be an All-Star Legion, featuring every legionnaire ever. No deaths ever, just good clean fun. Even the villains would be likable. Instead of the usual threats, a buck-toothed brainy, a pimply faced sun boy, and a bra-stuffing dream girl will deal with the Tantrum-throwing Mordru. It'd make a great one-shot, anyway.

Jesus

#49924 10/02/08 09:06 AM
Honorary
Honorary
Originally posted by Sketch Lad:
So, what do you think the 4th version of the Legion could/should be like?

Gut reaction... I'd like to see the "all star" version that has been discussed here on occasion. Boil down all the best parts of what we've seen for the last 50 years, and boot it fresh. We need new awesome villains in the first arc and fresh new art... maybe someone who renders in a photorealistic style?

Why not?
I don't want another new Legion, I WANT THE ORIGINAL BACK!!

They have been trying to "reboot" the Legion for years now and it has failed every time.

They have seen how popular what Johns did with the original version, why can't they get a clue and just BRING THE ORIGINAL BACK!!!

They have already set things up perfectly for a new series with the original characters in the Legion of 3 Worlds, at least right now anyway. Johns should just take it and run with it!!

"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe."

-Edmund Burke
#49925 10/02/08 01:44 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Actually I didn't feel like Johns brought back the "original" team any more than any other version we've seen. I never heard of Saturn Girl surrepitiously peeking into prospective members' heads before. Or seen Lightning Lad acting like a total jerk (at least until the TMK team got their retcon job done on him.) Or seen any simmering xenophobia on Earth, and so on and so on. I enjoyed the Action story, but it was like seeing a good cover band, not like getting the real thing.

I guess as far as what I want? I am not even sure at this point I want anything. I don't want an ersatz Levitz era reset, I don't want a Whitman's sampler from all the boots, and I won't miss the basic setup of the threeboot. I'm sure I'll give whatever it is a try, but I don't think that we'll get anything truly like the "original." I don't know if a Legion title that doesn't hew to todays more cynical storytelling modes will be coming.

#49926 10/02/08 07:35 PM
T
Active
Active
T
Originally posted by matlock:
Actually I didn't feel like Johns brought back the "original" team any more than any other version we've seen. I never heard of Saturn Girl surrepitiously peeking into prospective members' heads before. Or seen Lightning Lad acting like a total jerk (at least until the TMK team got their retcon job done on him.) Or seen any simmering xenophobia on Earth, and so on and so on.
It seems every post-Crisis version has tried to overlay (or, if you're feeling harsh, graft) new concepts onto the Legion. For example, 5YL put the Legion into a dystopian SF setting.

Batch SW6. Centerstripe costumes. Obviously derived from a pattern in the founders, and I like the look. However, some costumes were obvious combinations of conflicting ideas (Ultra Boy - somehow, it still looked good enough).

In the reboot, rather than no duplication of powers, there could only be one member per planet. A fine idea, fitting with the new concept of the Legion as a force for peace, but it restricted the inclusion of established Earth Legionnaires.

The whole point of the threeboot was to do such an overlay: the Legion as the SCA and Vietnam War protesters. Shrinking Violet, with one of the best 60s Legionnaire names, got the boring "Atom Girl" instead to fit a pattern that didn't have to be forced.

At least in the reboot and threeboot, the new ideas didn't have to fit in existing continuity (though they still created conflicts with trying to make the new continuity resemble the old). They're not like retconning in strong xenophobia on Earth and claiming it's still the same Earth. Or thinking "hey, there are three concepts associated with Superman, and here are three characters associated with Superman..." and reducing the Legion founders to one-note characters.

Tom Strong, on nostalgia: "I suppose it's a ready substitute for genuine feeling."
- Tom Strong #6, Alan Moore
#49927 10/03/08 09:13 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Triplicate Kid:
The whole point of the threeboot was to do such an overlay: the Legion as the SCA and Vietnam War protesters. Shrinking Violet, with one of the best 60s Legionnaire names, got the boring "Atom Girl" instead to fit a pattern that didn't have to be forced.
[heresy] I'm more than comfortable with the idea of the 'Lad/Lass/Boy/Girl/Damsel' names being jettisoned. Live Wire, Alchemist, Triad, Apparition, Dreamer, Umbra, etc. all sound better to me. [/heresy]

At least in the reboot and threeboot, the new ideas didn't have to fit in existing continuity (though they still created conflicts with trying to make the new continuity resemble the old). They're not like retconning in strong xenophobia on Earth and claiming it's still the same Earth. Or thinking "hey, there are three concepts associated with Superman, and here are three characters associated with Superman..." and reducing the Legion founders to one-note characters.
Word. Threeboot never pretended to be 'the original Legion!1!11ZOMG'

Action Legion was, in fact, billed as the original pre-crisis Legion, just with a living Karate Kid, a Wildfire-who-used-to-be-Red-Tornado and some spastic hyperactive dude calling himself Garth, but not being the husband of Imra, father of Graym, much more adult and capable 'Garth' that I remember from pre-Crisis.

I can live with yet another damn reboot. But a big fat faker pretending to be a group I used to love? No. I'm not blind. Don't hand me iced tea and tell me it's soda pop.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#49928 10/03/08 02:16 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I know it's a hard question to ask and get a single answer to, but what makes the Legion special and work? That's what they should use in the 4boot. Agreeing on that is the hard part!

For me, it's the family aspect of the characters, that they know each other so well and they *want* to be together, and to be a force of good. That seemed to be lacking in the 3boot.

I've said it before, but I have a great fondness for the 5YG - it's when I started reading LSH. That run had it's ups and downs, but you did get the sense of a shared history and that these characters belonged together and chose to be together. I still don't quite get that even from Shooter's take on the 3boot. We don't know why they're a group, other than they think old people suck and they're bored. Those motivations a group does not make (and certainly not with teenagers - I'm a teacher, I know what I'm talking about! lol)

I'm not talking about having the origin story rammed down our throats every year, but there was something *special* about them - they had grown up together and were comfortable with each other. The current team could be any generic super hero team really. Put Imra in a white bodice, slap some blue lipstick on her and you'd have a bad Emma Frost clone - she's having it off with someone else's boyfriend after all... I digress.

Wish list: not kids - adult legionnaires. Maybe with some newbies thrown in for training and to have that youthful kick. Some restraint, some war wounds that need thinking about.
Mordru had it right - Rokk was the most powerful Legionnaire, not because of his powers, but because he remains true to an ideal. There needs to be that concept of idealism.
There needs to be a backstory and and a history for that to rest on. I'm not sure that that can be achieved with a new start. It's been said time and again that the reason that the Legion IS the Legion is because of its history.
Maybe it's time to do a Star Trek: The Next Generation and acknowledge that history, but move even further away from it to have something new and fresh, but following in their footsteps?

#49929 10/03/08 11:34 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I've decided that if there is a fourth boot it better include Cobalt Kid and Lash Lad as members. Because I'll be so perturbed that I'll be forced to include self-referential posts not only in the MMB but in the Legion forum as well--on a constant daily basis, and I'll need Lash to do the same.

Therefore, all of Legion fandom shall suffer with me!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,055
Posts1,048,827
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star