Roll Call
0 members (), 130 Murran Spies, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
My Art Commissions (Legion or Not Legion it's art)
by Gaseous Lad - 06/18/24 06:15 AM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Gaseous Lad - 06/18/24 06:13 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/18/24 04:51 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/18/24 04:51 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/18/24 04:50 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/18/24 04:50 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/18/24 04:49 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 18 June 24
by Harbinger - 06/18/24 02:41 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Appreciation for Legion Series 3, the five year gap
#36821 02/20/04 10:33 PM
Applicant
OP Offline
Applicant
Well, after rummaging thru some old stacks of comic books, I reread some of the Giffen stories with the infamous 5 year gap. I have to admit I really hated the art and style when I first read it but while rereading it, I realized that they had a grittier and much more in depth tone. Any issue with Matter Eater Lad Streaky

Re: New Appreciation for Legion Series 3, the five year gap
#36822 02/21/04 02:20 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by EndofanEra:
One thing that has not changed is that Element Lad keeps getting the shaft. Even preboot, there was the whole Shvaugh/Sean mess and now the Garth in Jan's body situation? Sigh. Streaky
It does seem that some legionnaires were created with a "Kick Me" sign embedded in their backs....

Nice to read that you found some new appreciation for the 5 years later stories; the early ones are some of my favourites - and I agree that the ending was melancholy (and disappointing!). Most people seem to love them or hate them; don't think many have actually changed their opinion over time - even a little!

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#36823 02/21/04 10:00 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I think no era has quite the combination of incredibly positive aspects and massive gaffes that the GiffBaum era had. I find it quite hard to say that I like it, just because there are so many things that I really hate in it, but there are those things (the Tenzil issues being an excellent example) that I just love SO much that they almost make up for the stuff I don't.

I definitely would have preferred to see what new creators would have done with this world rather than the total eradication of the old continuity that we got.

#36824 02/21/04 11:14 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Jumping the gap so saved this series for me. I was getting older, the maturation of the book just worked for me. There had been plenty of great stories through the Levitz years, but none required me to think beyond eighth grade.

Suddenly all was new again. There were pains, watching changes and elimination of characters I really enjoyed. SW6 was a refreshing retro feeling for me that made great use of Dominator talents, but I am really glad this one was not allowed to play out. I just can't imagine a satisfying result.

I would have been very happy with two books, Giffen's post gap Legion and a flashback to Adventure days book. Much preferable to that post ZH reboot.

#36825 02/21/04 06:28 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I came aboard as a full time legion fan with the 5 year gap stories. I am still a huge fan of the first 40 or so issues. I even thought the nine panel grid worked smile

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
#36826 02/21/04 06:29 PM
Applicant
Applicant
I came in on the middle of the five year gap issues and spent a great deal of time putting things together. So I might have a slightly different perspective here. Not a better but slightly different one. It took a while to get up to speed but it was interesting to see how they matured. The problems of an older age group added new depth to the characters. I liked the SW6 Legionnaires. Nice counter to those who didn't like the older characters.

I must be unusual in that I loved the post reboot/post ZH issues. I've followed thing up thru Legion Lost and then dropped out for a while out of a mistaken fear of the Legion dropping into "grim and gritty" territory.

I think since I've come back. I've also reacquired the issues since #1 of the post Legion Lost series. I think it shows a good blend of optimism that has always been an important part of the Legion. And more realistic storytelling. People seem a bit more "realistic" or as realistic as can be expected for a comic book. Set in future times that is.

Questions of morality are often matters of taste
#36827 02/21/04 08:00 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Originally posted by EndofanEra:
[b]One thing that has not changed is that Element Lad keeps getting the shaft. Even preboot, there was the whole Shvaugh/Sean mess and now the Garth in Jan's body situation? Sigh. Streaky
It does seem that some legionnaires were created with a "Kick Me" sign embedded in their backs....

Nice to read that you found some new appreciation for the 5 years later stories; the early ones are some of my favourites - and I agree that the ending was melancholy (and disappointing!). Most people seem to love them or hate them; don't think many have actually changed their opinion over time - even a little! [/b]
As a Star Boy fanatic, I know how some Legionnaires are always unlucky.

Touch the magic...
#36828 02/22/04 02:21 PM
Active
Active
I hated the 5YG when it was ongoing, but looking back some of it was quite good. There are still massive problems with it - the clones stuff was terrible, as waere the last 20 or so issues and blowing the Earth up etc.

But some of it was good (wracks brain...)

#36829 02/23/04 11:18 PM
Applicant
Applicant
My really got into LSH around the end of volume 3 (Levitz/Giffen) and the beginning of volume 4 (TMK), and for me LSH v.4 was one of the densest, most convoluted, most challenging comics I'd ever read.

I loved it.

It definitely has some problems (I still don't really like those Khund War issues, and it lost something when Giffen left for good). But it also had some great moments that reminded me that underneath all that grime and politics and sci-fi dystopia was a team of heroes who had grown up a lot in 5 years, but still had that youthful heroism in their hearts.

That sounds pretty cheesy. Anyway, I created a Web page (in my profile) about that era of the LSH and named my board name after one of my favorite scenes in the series, so I'm on the pro side of the v.4 debate.

"NO, NO, NO, computer. NO CHEESE. I said, "PLEASE" ... please."
#36830 02/24/04 10:40 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
In the 5-year gap series, I liked the two Mordru storylines, and the action with BION.

Other than that, I still maintain it was mostly crap that led to the reboot fiasco, near cancellation of all the Legion titles four years ago, and a Legion readership schizophrenia where everyone was united up to version 3 (with Levitz), now split into three groups:
1) Silver Age up to Magic Wars
2) TMK
3) Reboot to DnA
The latest group not necessarily privy to the "ancient" history of the Legion, introduced to the Legion under the rewritten reboot pretense rather than the original stories.

How can any creative team be expected to please ALL faithful Legion readers split into these three groups with one title? DC allowed it to happen, but haven't come up with an answer yet. Thanks again, TMK.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#36831 02/24/04 11:42 PM
Applicant
Applicant
As much as I understand those who dislike TMK, I think that the LSH at the end of Levitz's run (or even by about v3 #50) was already in a tough spot.

The artist(s) (LaRoque, Broderick, Giffen) were drawing everyone as adults; It wasn't a Legion of teens anymore. Superboy was no longer part of the mythos (and that was editorially mandated; Valor was not TMK's original plan at all, and issues 4-12ish were mostly the writers trying to salvage their original plans in light of editorial dictates). Key members had conspired to kill the Time Trapper. The Legion was changing.

As much as I've heard the "Legion on the Run" era (the McCraw era) of v4 was planned at the start to end with the reboot, I suspect that in some ways the LSH was headed toward a complete overhaul long before that, maybe as soon as Levitz left. DC was OK with the "5-year gap" because it didn't have much to lose.

But if I'm wrong, I certainly feel that LSH was mostly on track until Giffen left (and the destruction of Earth), even though he took his crazy ideas with him. In his place was just the Bierbaums, but unfortunately they didn't have as many good plot ideas as Keith, and the title suffered. Thank God Immonen was there to make things look pretty.

"NO, NO, NO, computer. NO CHEESE. I said, "PLEASE" ... please."
#36832 02/25/04 12:22 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Even if you didn't like TMK, the art was often quite good throughout: Brandon Peterson, Jason Pearson, and Stuart Immonen all leap to mind!

And you are right Autochef, even when the "Legion on the Run" drek (my least favorite Legion story of all time!!!) was going post-TMK at least Immonen was around for a good portion of it to keep the art nice! I'm sorry, but McCraw was not suited to write the Legion. I guess you could say that his plots were truly Interlac-ing.

Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.
#36833 02/25/04 07:54 AM
Deputy
Deputy
There are no comic books in my possession reread and reread more than the TMK Legion. I became a monthly Legion reader with #12, and continued to the present day. It took me a long time to catch up to what was going on (I was COMPLETELY clueless), but it was well worth the effort.

The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!
#36834 02/25/04 04:38 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Comet King:
I hated the 5YG when it was ongoing, but looking back some of it was quite good. There are still massive problems...blowing the Earth up etc.
-
The reason I cannot dislike confused the Earth issue is that it was essentially us, future us, that were the heros.

As a stand alone issue, forget Moons blowing up...is was a very heroic issue. The format used to tell the story was unique from normal Legion fair. I cannot think of how standard panel layout would have been as dramatic.

This issue is one of my favorite reads for when I'm in the mood for that type story.

#36835 02/25/04 05:05 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
i really enjoyed the 5YG stories !!! and even though i'd been a fan since the beginning of the 80's .... i don't recall being upset by this sudden change in the title !!!

i think the fact that Jo Nah / Ultraboy played such a major role through it, kept my excitment going !!!

i actually don't seem to recall being upset by "Legion on the Run" either !!! confused .....

and i liked Jo in the Emerald Dragon costume !!! what upset me more was the actual reboot, i stopped buying both titles for about a year or so, because i could get over the fact that, all those years had been erased !!!

i did return though, and i bought all the "missed" issues !!! and now i think i love the Legion more than ever !!!

Matthew.

#36836 02/25/04 06:25 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Just one little thing, since I haven't read these issues (I'd fall into Group 3 on the KidQuisletometer), about why they rebooted. I remember reading an interview with Mark Waid & Kurt Busiek (which I've never been able to find again, although I've referenced it here before), where Waid mentions that one of the main reasons they rebooted was that they couldn't find a way to fit an explaination of the Legion(s), as it stood @ the end of the 5YL period, into the Zero issues (LSH 0 and Lgs 0) and I remember someone here scoffing @ me for saying this. I still can't find it (If you know where it can be found, PLEASE tell me), but there's a bit from a Dan Jurgens interview @ comicboards right now that at least confirms that that was the intention of the 0 issues:

http://www.comicboards.com/superman/moderator/jurgens4.htm
DJ: I told the guys involved [in Zero Hour]: "Here’s what you got. You got one issue to explain within 22 pages why your character does what he does, who he is, who his supporting cast is, who is villain is, etc. This is 22 pages to tell the reader why your book exists and why they should buy it the next month." With a lot of the DC Zero Hour issues, I think that’s where [the creative teams] failed. They did not provide [those elements] in issue zero.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#36837 02/28/04 04:44 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Ah, the 5YL era....

I can remember when it was ongoing, not really getting into it (with the exception of the Tenzil issues) until the SW6ers were brought in. THAT made me sit up and pay attention. I remember THE QUIET DARKNESS being especially bad and to this day have never reread those issues.

I am probably the ONLY person here who actually enjoyed the book MORE when TMK became just TM. Issues # 39 through 50 were well-loved by this reader; I just like how Tom & Mary wrote the Legion.

Post-Tom & Mary? **uggh!* I welcomed the reboot with open arms. Although Infectious Lass DID have a few good scenes during "Legion on the Run". They get props for that.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#36838 02/29/04 07:53 PM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
The 5YL era was my favorite!

That's probably because it was the era in which I first started reading the Legion... so none of the re-workings of old characters and events seemed that way to me. Everything and everyone was new, and I pretty much read everything as a blank slate. It was only after the fact -- after I'd already become a Legion fan -- that I went back and read the original stories, which I loved just as much.

I think one ends up liking both the 5YL and everything that came before only if you started with the 5YL and worked backward, rather than vice versa...

#36839 03/02/04 08:20 AM
Leader
Leader
I hated the 5 year gap at first but it really grew on me and I ended up loving it. It was the most dense, mature, complex writing the Legion ever had. I did hate a few issues but overall, I think it was a great series.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#36840 03/02/04 09:35 AM
Active
Active
I was very wary of the 5-Year Gap when I first learned of it and I almost didn't buy it. After all, I'd been a fan of the Levitz Legion for years and it looked like this was going to throw all of that away. I DID buy it, however, and they soon won me over with stories like the Mordruverse and the introduction of Laurel Gand. It was a little confusing at first (well, it was a little confusing most of the time) but I didn't mind that. There was lots of stuff I liked: the serious Subs, B.I.O.N, the sexuality, SW-6, and the twin shockers that Shvaughn was really Sean and Garth was really Proty. There was lots of stuff I didn't like: Dev-em going insane, Dyrk selling out, and the moon blowing up.

The issue where Earth is destroyed was powerful and moving, but I think it was a huge mistake and went contrary to the future the Legion's creators imagined. I know that grim and gritty were intellectually hip back then and I didn't mind them taking the Earth down a grim and gritty path, but they were basically saying that the future of my youth had all been a big lie. I have to admit that I kind of liked the Cities In Flight setting for Legionnaires, I'm just sorry they had to destroy the world to create it.

I don't know what was going on with the Legion on the Run issues. For the first time in years Legion dropped off my "must read" list and some of those issues sat around for months before I got around to reading them. I still couldn't tell you what it was about. The whole thing felt like a generic Marvel comic, not the Legion.

As for the reboot, well, if I felt betrayed by the Gap imagine how I felt when I heard that news! I stuck with it, though, and after I dealt with the loss of all my old friends I even managed to enjoy it sometimes. I pretty much had to treat it as a whole new book that was unconnected to my Legion except in name.

I finally stopped buying it shortly after Abnett and Lanning came on board. I didn't like their writing style at all and the art was pretty painful. I've been picking it up again with the current Superboy and at least the art has gotten better.

Ken

Yes, but now I'm back! I'm back FROM the future!

Vist Hyperion Ranch!
Guided tours of Chateau Crowbar now available!

http://hometown.aol.com/kidcrowbar/myhomepage/ranch.html

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,258
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
cleome57
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star