Roll Call
0 members (), 4 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by thoth lad - 06/27/24 11:59 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Ann Hebistand - 06/27/24 05:34 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Ann Hebistand - 06/27/24 05:01 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/27/24 04:39 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/27/24 12:26 PM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 06/27/24 09:20 AM
My Art Commissions (Legion or Not Legion it's art)
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/27/24 04:00 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/27/24 03:59 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: LSH #7-- Spoilers and Stuff!
#31568 06/24/05 04:24 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Haggard Lad:
Originally posted by Harbinger:
[b]I thought Chameleons antennae was over done - nice to see them (to see them nice) but a whole page for him to study the Konapple was too much IMO.
But readers needed to see how his antennae worked so they would understand the scene of Cham discovering Lemnos. Because of the importance of the antennae to the end of the story, they needed a lot of face time in this issue. That's why Waid had Barry draw Cham using his antennae so much throughout this issue.

If this was a normal 22-page story, I might agree with you that a whole page was unneeded. But the benifit of having 8 extra pages is that there's more room for exposition.

As for the issue itself, I really enjoyed it. I thought that this was a great look into Brainy's character. Because he was under stress, he revealed a lot more about himself than he normally would have. I have to say that this issue makes me like him a whole lot more.

This was a very good issue. Brainy, Light Lass, Cham and Sun Boy all had some great moments. [/b]
I agree that there was a need for a portrayal of chams antennae so readers cound understand. yadda yadda. I still think a whole page on Konapple was too much - too panels could have covered it without alerting the reader (or me anyway) that this would be needed later on in the story - I recently read the first Mantis Morlo story where something very similar happened - in that it took, I think, one panel to explain it - are readers thirty howerver many years later less astute to need a whole page? I stand by my comment.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
#31569 06/24/05 05:14 PM
A
Active
Active
A
It was nice to see the immediate follow up on what clue B5 gave himself last issue.

It was also nice to see that there will still be some use of space-ships.

Colu was a nice nod to the past and even this slight glimpse brought new depth to B5's character (though I must fear that he and Cosmic Boy are becoming the new panel hogs).

It all fit together very nicely and ended with a shock seeing legionnaires other than Cos take part in a search of B5's lab.

So, my only complaint is that it is not enough of a good thing. Didn't someone say that the threeboot would be going to 40 pages?

#31570 06/25/05 07:40 AM
Active
Active
Nice issue.
Both small teams work fine for me.
The new Colu is an interesant world this time.
The Barry's art are great in special Saturn Girl and Cham.

From UK with glamour.
#31571 06/25/05 03:45 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
i like and find it funny that ayla gets the better of brainy with witty comments, and notices/reveals lemnos at the end.

#31572 06/25/05 04:27 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Another great issue!

What I enjoy about these stories so far is that things are described for a reason and characters act with a purpose. Keep up the good work.

Also, I noticed that James Pascoe was back doing some inkings. Glad to see his stuff again because I think he works well with Barry's pencils.

#31573 06/25/05 09:45 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Mmmm. Pulpy.

Cham is so cute!

#31574 06/26/05 01:41 PM
Magically Delicious
Magically Delicious
OK, so I was thinkin' about Brainy's comments that being intellectually inferior results in being declared stupid and treated as an outcast... and Barry's comments about Colu and Vi's homeworld being linked... and I wonder if the outcasts leave Colu and whether maybe Vi comes from such a Coluan outcast society... (I wonder if the outcasts are still intellectually superior to, say, earthlings, or whether they are of an equal level)... and if she does, wouldn't she make an interesting secret weapon for Cos to employ against Brainy, which may explain why we haven't seen her... and she'd even have a motive for acting against Brainy, b/c his society cast her out...

just a thought, i'm sure there are already facts put out there which contradict the possibility...

Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!
#31575 06/26/05 01:42 PM
Magically Delicious
Magically Delicious
Oh yeah... I am really loving the book... I'm more excited about it than I have been in ages...

Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!
#31576 06/26/05 04:13 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by rokk steady:
OK, so I was thinkin' about Brainy's comments that being intellectually inferior results in being declared stupid and treated as an outcast... and Barry's comments about Colu and Vi's homeworld being linked... and I wonder if the outcasts leave Colu and whether maybe Vi comes from such a Coluan outcast society... (I wonder if the outcasts are still intellectually superior to, say, earthlings, or whether they are of an equal level)... and if she does, wouldn't she make an interesting secret weapon for Cos to employ against Brainy, which may explain why we haven't seen her... and she'd even have a motive for acting against Brainy, b/c his society cast her out...

just a thought, i'm sure there are already facts put out there which contradict the possibility...
maybe brainy was just a late bloomer or has some bizarre affinity for sciences that makes him appear dumber in other disciplines. or he was just under a lot of pressure because his mom was the previus smartest person (ala joan crawford)

#31577 06/27/05 09:59 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Or maybe Brainy is smart but he appears "stupid" to the Coluans because of his interest in galactic politics. What could be more distasteful to a society dedicated to the search for scientific truth than governmental politics?

#31578 06/27/05 02:54 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Brainy's a dope, then? Does that make Invisible Kid the smarter one, if he has "Coluan aps"?

Well, now that I've actually read the issue, I'm not so sure he is less intelligent than the other Coluans - certainly something's implied by his intellect speech, but maybe this is another red herring.

BTW, was that a model of the Legion clubhouse in his "mother's" lab (in the panel where he gives the speech)?

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#31579 06/28/05 04:44 PM
Active
Active
If the average Coluan really is smarter than the entirety of Earth, Brainy certainly could plausibly be the dumb one. (I hope they're not, though, or it'll be awfully hard to explain how a couple trillion people, each with planetary-level intelligence, ever get surprised or outsmarted.)

I still think Invisible Kid's "Coluan-high" line was just hyperbole...he's simply very very smart by human standards.

#31580 06/28/05 05:10 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
It all depends on how you measure intelligence, I suppose. I've always suspected the whole "12th-level intellect" thing was on a scale invented by the Coluans, anyway.

#31581 06/29/05 01:51 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It's true that the Coluans have some explaining to do regarding
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
It all depends on how you measure intelligence, I suppose. I've always suspected the whole "12th-level intellect" thing was on a scale invented by the Coluans, anyway.
Like SAT tests catering to middle class white Americans? Certainly, the Coluans have (and have always had) a very narrow view of intelligence.

There's the whole overpopulation thing, too - we're so incredibly smart and wonderful that we should reproduce without limit - and just stay cloistered on our own planet instead of going out and helping other beings and - Gød
forbid - be exposed to their different and stupid ideas.

Originally posted by SiliconDream:
[QB (I hope they're not, though, or it'll be awfully hard to explain how a couple trillion people, each with planetary-level intelligence, ever get surprised or outsmarted.)[/QB]
It's true that the Coluans have some explaining to do. No sensors to scan incoming ships/sentients? No back-up systems? If Lemnos worked through their central router (as somebody here suggested), it must have been awfully quick. Although we have some idea that not everyone was affected at the same rate, no one was able to detect something wrong and send a signal for help.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#31582 06/29/05 02:27 AM
Active
Active
As I recall from the Silver Age--

6th Level-Human
8th Level-Superman
10th Level-Coluan
12th Level-Original Brainiac and Dox family
20th Level-Grax

"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63
#31583 06/29/05 03:28 PM
Active
Active
Phew, fiiiiinally got a hold of the issue.

12th level, every Coluan? Well, that sucks. The dialogue does imply that Brainy was/is less intelligent than most Coluans... but perhaps the story is that he was altered somehow to fix it, which is what the Coluans did to him as implied earlier. And that's why he has wires going to his butt. Something else else like that, at least... It seems strange for his power to be listed as "unparalleled intellect" if it's just "higher than human, lower than Coluan" intellect. I mean, that's pretty paralleled.

I didn't really care for the new vision of Colu, but I guess it's not so bad. Better update planetcolu.com, huh? Heh.

Cooooos is eeeeevil, Coooos is eeeeevil.

I might comment more, but I feel sort of late, plus there's a huge spider somewhere on my desk that's hiding in the pile of comics I just bought, and I'm busy waiting for it to come out of hiding so I can take care of it... eek

科学の使者、キュアドクス!
#31584 06/29/05 06:59 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Be kind to spiders!

Actually, could you send it over here? An army of ants seems determined to take over my coffee table.

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#31585 06/29/05 08:59 PM
Active
Active
Tragically, it already met a sorry fate.

科学の使者、キュアドクス!
#31586 06/29/05 11:29 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
[Linked Image]

#31587 06/30/05 06:53 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
LOL Thanks, Gary.

This probably got mentioned before, but I just noticed: The legionnaires raiding Brainy's lab are Cos, Lightning Lad, Phantom Girl and Triplicate Girl. In past continuity that would be four out of the first five members. Interesting that they brought along invisable Kid, the newest memeber. Makes me really wonder what Saturn Girl is going to say about this.

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#31588 06/30/05 07:10 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
Actually, that's a clever point, which I don't think anyone *has* noticed before...

And actually IK would traditionally be one of the next set of members, isn't he? Along with Colossal Boy and Chameleon Boy...

#31589 07/01/05 06:50 PM
Candidate
Candidate
I don't think that Brainy is actually any less smart than other Coluans, just that he resents the pressure that the society puts on him for it. I think it's Waid's way of getting an angle for Brainy to fit into the angry-at-parents-and-society attitude that the Legion has now.

Tenz
MatterEaterLad

#31590 07/02/05 01:32 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Man I started pretty negative on this series but each issue I see less and less negative and much more positive.

This actually felt like an old Legion issue more than any other in this series. A startling revelation investigated by a group of Legionnaires. The team picked by Dream Girl was quite cool and great idea. Nice to see Dreamy getting an important role much like the Levitz Dreamy. wink

I didn't get anything as Brainy being less intelligent than the others. Infact it seems his mom and him are the smart ones. I like the virus plot. Not sure how I feel about Coluans shrinking but hey it makes sense.

The art didn't stand out as it has been but it was solid. I'm a big fan of Art Thibert but I may prefer Kitson inking himself. Ofcourse poor Barry may not have the time. Fine by me. But I say try to get Legion inking masters like Kesel or Mahlstedt. wink Some panels ofcourse were amazing but Lemnos didn't look all that great. Nice to see the Legionnaires (Brainy) gain an advantage against Lemnos.

The one negative? Cham! ugh! I just can't get into this "alien" Cham. Yes I know he's an alien BUT it just seems the lack of aliens on the team is just forced onto Cham. In other words because he's the lone truly non-humanoid alien on the team they play it up. This Cham is as bad as the Zero Hour Cham. Forget the alien shapechanger wierdness and bring back Cham!!! (I saw him on a page fighting SPs with Colossal Boy a few issues ago!)

#31591 07/03/05 12:47 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I didn't think that Brainy was less intelligent than the others either. I thought his outburst might have been intended to stres just how important intelligence was to the Coluans. Or maybe he was a late bloomer and was considered stupid before, but he eventually reached a level higher than that of most Coluans?

#31592 07/03/05 04:52 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Or he has that much-sought-after sibling who doesn't quite cut the mustard, as far as Coluan standards go?

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,510
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
BLA, Queer Legion
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star