Roll Call
1 members (Eryk Davis Ester), 109 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LVI - Little Vi?
by Gaseous Lad - 09/27/24 04:16 PM
UFO (1970)
by profh0011 - 09/27/24 03:17 PM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by Boy Kid Lad - 09/27/24 01:44 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 09/27/24 01:54 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 09/26/24 07:49 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 09/26/24 07:45 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 09/26/24 06:54 PM
Rejected Ideas for Inane MMB Threads...
by rickshaw1 - 09/26/24 05:41 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Favorite Characters
#622496 12/29/06 02:05 PM
Reservist
OP Offline
Reservist
The Superman & LoSH fandom seems have pretty clear favorites. Not many people I've met favor Superman. LOTS of girls like Brainy. Guys (my brother) seem to favor Lightning Lad. And it's obvious the creators favor Phantom Girl. Was this on purpose?

By the looks of it, they purposely made Superman seem like a poor choice of help.
1. He's WAY too trusting. The Legion now has a new enemy thanks to Superman. (Alexis)
2. The guy just can't seem to grasp "evil".
Superman: "Why are you doing this?!"
Drax: "Because I'm evil." no duh.

Then, was Brainy purposely made the object of fangirls everywhere?
1. Lonely and secluded from all the others.
2. Continuously hurt by Superman and picked on by the others.
3. Solves tons of their problems.
4. Has a deep dark secret.

What do you guys think? Were the characters purposely designed so fans would think the way they do about them?

"He's doomed. We all are. Oh, wanna hear a joke?"

"I'm always thinking about you. Because according to the restraining order, that's all I'm allowed to do."
Re: Favorite Characters
#622497 12/29/06 04:20 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Copycat Girl:
The Superman & LoSH fandom seems have pretty clear favorites. Not many people I've met favor Superman. LOTS of girls like Brainy. Guys (my brother) seem to favor Lightning Lad. And it's obvious the creators favor Phantom Girl. Was this on purpose?

By the looks of it, they purposely made Superman seem like a poor choice of help.
1. He's WAY too trusting. The Legion now has a new enemy thanks to Superman. (Alexis)
2. The guy just can't seem to grasp "evil".
Superman: "Why are you doing this?!"
Drax: "Because I'm evil." no duh.

Then, was Brainy purposely made the object of fangirls everywhere?
1. Lonely and secluded from all the others.
2. Continuously hurt by Superman and picked on by the others.
3. Solves tons of their problems.
4. Has a deep dark secret.

What do you guys think? Were the characters purposely designed so fans would think the way they do about them?
Well first off, of course they would make Superman a little too trusting,let alone have some flaws, I mean he's just getting used to the superhero business, cut him some slack. And about the whole "evil" thing, I think he wanted a more specific reason than "because I'm evil"

And about Brainiac 5, I don't think the other legionarres were picking on him, I saw it as more along the lines of getting a bit annoyed with him( and the only time I can think of where Superman really hurt Brainy's feelings was in Legacy). Timberwolf wasn't shown as much, but I would think secluded and lonely would be a couple of HIS traits, not Brainiac 5's( who don't get me wrong, is still cool)So no, I don't think any of it is "on purpose."

And as for MY favorites, I like each legionarre for different reasons, but if I had to play favorites, my top five would be....

1. Timberwolf
2. Brainiac 5
3. Phantom girl
4. Saturn girl
5. Bouncing Boy
( sorry Superman and Lighting Lad, maybe next time)

Okay, I'm done now...

"Do, or do not. There is no try." -Yoda
#622498 12/29/06 09:44 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Though we haven't spent too much time with T-Wolf to really know him, he does rank as my current favorite. The whole tortured man/beast angle and pointy sideburns have won me over.

Second is Phantom Girl - mostly due to the Mekt episode. She just has tons of personality!

#622499 12/29/06 11:50 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I haven't seen any episodes yet, but I'm guessing T-Wolf will be my favourite. (Assuming Shrinking Violet's not around. smile )

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#622500 12/30/06 09:50 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Interestingly, in the promo for today's repeat of "Legacy," the announcer said something like, "Stay tuned for Lightning Lad and the Legion of Super-Heroes!" Not Superman? Hmm.

Phantom Girl is easily my favorite character on the cartoon. Both her personality and her power are more clearly developed and defined than most of the rest.

I'm also liking Lightning Lad, as his gung-ho personality fits in well with his powers.

Chuck is portrayed as too much of a buffoon for my tastes. I would prefer him to be shown as a competent hero who doesn't take himself too seriously, not someone who is scared of old horror movies.

Brainy's hero worship (if that's what it is) of Superman was endearing, at first, but gets a little old on repeats. I'm not sure where they're going with the "deep, dark secret" bit (meaning, I guess, that he kept krytponite in reserve), but it does round out his personality a bit.

Saturn Girl and Timber Wolf haven't been seen or developed enough for me to have a strong feeling about them.

And Superman ... like Awesomegirl, I think the intent is to portray him as still very new to the hero game and understandably more naive than his Legion teammates (which is ironic, of course, since they know the hero he is to become). This naivete is used to great effect in "Legacy" when Alexis wraps him around her finger.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#622501 01/03/07 07:23 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
My daughter seems to like Brainy best.

I like Triplicate Girl so far...they use her power from the few episodes I've seen, really well.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#622502 01/07/07 07:52 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I don't know which one my son likes best. He seems to be pretty well enamored with Lightning Lad but he just luuuuvs the Brainiybot but then again he also cheers pretty loudly for Bouncing Boy.

I think it's pretty darned cool whoever he cheers for.
...after all...LLL

btw- darned nice to see you post here Dave, welcome back.

#622503 01/08/07 06:52 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Bouncing Boy could use a bit more focus, he seems to be absent more often than any other Legionnaire. Except maybe Timber Wolf.

I'm liking Lightning Lad too - confident, but in just the right amount.

Seeing Phantom Girl is always a treat. Sarcastic, spunky and not spoiled.

Saturn Girl seems like the iron butt Imra, eh? Very in control. Aside from BB, her backstory has been delved into the least - makes me want to know more!

T-Wolf is someone I can relate to, so he ranks up there. There's the angst, but he's a hero because he can move past that. He doesn't moan about it.

Brainy's interesting as always, and there's a bit of immaturity that I really like. I'm glad they toned down the uber-logical side a tad too.

And Superman? I think they got him down just right.

#622504 01/11/07 11:40 AM
Candidate
Candidate
So far my favorite by a wide margin is Phantom Girl. She's seems the most Human and yet also the accomplished at using her powers. The writers and art staff have made some of the best use of intangibility I have ever seen.

Second would be hard...they just haven't shown everyone in detail enough. Also, of my top 5 favorite Legionnaires, they've only chosen to use two (Brainy and Timberwolf). Get back to me when Mon-El, Chameleon Boy and Wildfire appear.

"In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my...antennae."
#622505 01/11/07 11:48 AM
Active
Active
Superman is our POV. He isn't infallible yet and everything is new to him, so you get a chance for a lot of exposition.

Bouncing boy is voiced by a hysterical guy I new in college so I am not impartial here.

Cant wait till more episodes come out

#622506 09/18/07 11:28 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
Brainy's my fave animated Legionnaire ,but Porcupine Pete is my fave character thus far!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,055
Posts1,048,827
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires