Roll Call
0 members (), 130 Murran Spies, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
My Art Commissions (Legion or Not Legion it's art)
by Gaseous Lad - 06/18/24 06:15 AM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Gaseous Lad - 06/18/24 06:13 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/18/24 04:51 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/18/24 04:51 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/18/24 04:50 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/18/24 04:50 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/18/24 04:49 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 18 June 24
by Harbinger - 06/18/24 02:41 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Established or Newly-Formed Legion?
#27781 02/21/04 11:12 AM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
Okay, so I thought about calling this thread "Adult or Teen Legion?", but that didn't quite capture what I intended it to be about, so I hope the one I chose works better.

Ignoring specific matters of continuity, would you rather read about a version of the Legion that is in its formative stages, in the process of establishing its history and traditions, and with the sort idealism that comes of the newness of the whole heroic enterprise, or would you rather read about a Legion that is a established organization (perhaps with members of various ages), with steadfast traditions and a history to draw upon?

Re: Established or Newly-Formed Legion?
#27782 02/21/04 01:14 PM
Applicant
Applicant
I'd have to say the Adult Legion. While the Giffen/Bierbaum years seemed to have an almost sadistic feel to it, i.e. Dirk Morgana, Element Lad ElementLad (is he or isn't he?), the whole SW6 clone mess, it was really nice to see a mature Legion dealing with issues not only on a galactic scale but on personal ones. I did not agree with a lot of changes but it certainly presented more 3 dimensional characters vs. Golly Gee, let's try to beat Starfinger again. A few stories like 50 focused more on quiet contemplation and less on the huge action sequences.

Sadly, the whole End of Era situation felt rushed with a lot of dangling threads and to eliminate them, it was a simply a matter of causing a disappearance. The previous issues before 61 had built up an undertone of tension with Dawnstar's return. Both Wildfire and Dawnstar did not seem to know how to react. Given their history (this is a woman who suffered radiation burns for some physical contact), I would have like to see how that would have resolved vs. if the Legion will survive another Universo brainwashes the entire world scheme. And after some build up... how do they resolve it? Bang, Dawnstar "disappears" after issue 17 of Legionnaires.

Rereading it, I can only throw up my hands and shake my head. I can not say the whole thing was entirely callous, as Jo got a chance to say goodbye to Tinya but words can not convey the frustration as staring at blank page after blank page from issue 61.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, to chuck out 30 years of continuity and history seems a bit drastic and the new reboot does not seem to have gained a large audience outside of core fans. From what I understand, the demographic of the average comic fan is skewing much older i.e. past 20 if not 25 and any younger audience really seems to focus on the electronic media. Talking to a comic book shop owner, he mentioned that even given the popularity of some of the recent superhero movies, sales of comics for those superheroes has not gone up much if at all. The big sales numbers seem to increase when some big artist ala Jim Lee takes the reins for a few issues but then sales tend to subside afterwards.

I can only hope of an Elseworlds miniseries with a more Adult Legion vs. the Superboy's Legion miniseries.

#27783 02/21/04 03:23 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I also prefer a more adult Legion.

#27784 02/21/04 06:19 PM
Applicant
Applicant
I've always felt that the "teenage" aspect of the Legion was one of it's strong points. The optimism of youth carrying through amidst trouble and crime fighting.

The growth and maturation factor also was a plus. In that they were good but would get better in time. Mistakes could and were made but teamwork pulled things together and victory was still possible. This allows for the development of the characters.

I also think the theme of optimism against all adversity was the defining aspect of the "old" Legion pre and post Crisis. And Post Re Boot as well. But optimism doesn't sell well these days.
Thus the amount of death and tragedy since the Re boot.

Questions of morality are often matters of taste
#27785 02/22/04 08:58 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Personally, I would go with an Adult Legion, since I've already seen these characters grow and mature and change once.

I understand why they started over, but I think things were sabotaged with gimmicks like the Team 20 phase. It prevented this new team from coming together the way the original version did.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#27786 02/22/04 09:22 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I prefer a teenage Legion. Although, I think I'd have prefered a second generation Legion over the re-boot.

#27787 02/22/04 10:45 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I prefer an established Legion myself, although not necessarily an adult Legion. More along the lines of Levitz's run, where the Legion are definately not teenagers anymore, but still young enough to be recognized as a group of younger heroes in the DCU (early to mid twenties).

I just really enjoy the continuity and back story that comes with an established Legion, with strong characterization and previously shown progression for the characters. Of course, the Levitz prototype has highly influenced my opinions on the matter...

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,258
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
cleome57
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star