Roll Call
2 members (Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester, Nightcrawler), 6 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion of Super-Heroes Fansets Pins
by Nightcrawler - 06/28/24 03:39 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/28/24 03:30 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/28/24 03:26 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/28/24 05:41 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/27/24 12:26 PM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 06/27/24 09:20 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Supergirl and the Legion #26 - Spoilers
#2996 01/24/07 02:07 PM
M
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
M
The plot of this issue pretty much follows a straight line from last issue, so there's not much to spoil. You could fill in most of it yourselves, and your guesses would probably be right or close.

We get some backstory from Mon-El and some from the Ranzz siblings, but none of it's much of a departure from previous versions of the characters.

You know the giant robot on the cover? It doesn't look like that...

Really, the only shocker in the book was the last page. And I'll let everyone read that themselves.

Re: Supergirl and the Legion #26 - Spoilers
#2997 01/24/07 03:28 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The robot was kinda cool. And from the covers to the upcoming issues we can guess what the red stuff that came out of its head is.

They also set-up next week's Origin of Mon-El in the Action Annual. I hope we'll get to see him in the 21st century DCU if only for short periods of time.

#2998 01/24/07 04:46 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Great, no spoilers and I don't get the issue until February 5th with my twice a month shipping. Damn five week months!

#2999 01/24/07 05:07 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Very well

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">

The team breaks out of HQ and Supergirl spots the hiding spot were Mekt is holding court from last issue.
A group of Legionnaires charge in and Garth surprised to see Mekt. There is a Ranzz family drama.
Mekt explains....
The Legion thinks that it defeated the robot rebellion but they have regrouped under MegaTokyo. The Dominators are behind what's happening.
UltraBoy, Mon-El, Kara and B5 head there through the centre of the earth. Monel briefly hints at his origin and explains that he knows Kara from the past (but her future)
Ayla tells the Wanderers about Mekt, explaining that he is a suicidal maniac and confirms that she was once Lightning Lass.
The heavy hitter squad + B5 fights the robots but they activate their robot God.
The robot emits a red energy/substance from its head. Pan out to shot of earth being covered with a big red dot.
</span></span>

#3000 01/24/07 05:16 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Thanks TL. That'll hold me over for now.

#3001 01/24/07 08:49 PM
Honorary
Honorary
This post has been copied over. I accidentally posted in the wrong spot.

I got to the comic shop around 3:30 today, the day it comes out, and they were already sold out. I'm just glad the owners knew I was coming in and set a copy aside for me. But think about it: sold out the same day it comes out! Maybe this comic will be getting more attention soon.

For those who want a quick run-down, the Legion and Wanderers meet face to face, and -- suprise, suprise -- a huge knock-down drag-out fist fight *doesn't* happen. Instead, there's mostly peaceful negotiations. There's still no word on whether or not they will join forces by the end of the book.

While the negotiations are underway, Mon-el, Supergirl, Ultra Boy, and Brainy are set to Megatokyo to try to slow a robot rebellion. They get there in time to beat on the really big robot, but find out the hard way that it wasn't built to smash things. It was built to explode and send this red grit everywhere. There's no word on what the red grit is, but Brainy seems to know, since he tells the others that they've lost after the explosion.

Best two lines in the comic:
"What'd we miss?"
"An extremely annoying compliment."

Am I the only one who didn't notice the 'this is an advertisement' line at the top of the page on the Wii segment and spent a few moments trying to figure out what a kid playing video games had to do with the rest of the book? Even the drawing stule and coloring matched the rest of the book well enough to fool me at first.

It looks like Mekt had been in contact with Mon-el. Any ideas on just how deep Mon'el's loyalty lays with him? He evidently knew Supergirl before, though, and she looks like she's staying with the Legion. Maybe we have a crisis of conscience coming up for him.

Anyone else notice the wire-face on the Wanderer's Coluan? This is now three we've seen with that: Brainy, some guy in their central think tank, and him. Maybe this kid is above the Coluan average as well. Then again, it could just be a fashion statement that the three of them happen to have in common.

Ayla thinks Mekt is suicidal in this issue, but I'm not so sure. I think he may be a thrill-seeker and push the limits, but if he really wanted to kill himself, there have to have been enough opportunities with the life he's led since then, assuming he told the truth about what happened. I'd say he's driven, and I'm not entirely sure about the state of his mind, but he does seem to at least have enough control to get together a team to protect the UP. Then again, quite a few radicals have done that in the real world and ended up talking their followers into crazy things that killed them all.

If this is a robot take-over and the big boom at the end was some kind of robotic virus, how will this affect the team? They rely on their rings for communication, and if it's smart enough it could make them see and hear what it wants -- at least those that don't have good enough sight or hearing to get around that. Brainy's obviously direct-wired to some sort of information net. What happens if they infect his hardware? Could they give him enough bad information for him to hurt the Legion? Is the Wanderer Coluan wired as well?

Well, that's about all I've got for now. Maybe I'll post more later.

#3002 01/24/07 10:15 PM
Active
Active
the good justs keeps getting better.

Mr. Kitson, I keep repeating myself, but your art was great. what I really like are the little details that show a true craftsman at work. for example: on pg. 2 the LSH are flying so quickly to help their friends that widows are shattering along their flight path, pg. 15 the 3D like depth perception of the robot rising, and lastly the pgs 16-17 spread was great. the traffic, the sign, etc. it's a pleasure to look to at.

as for other stuff, I like the background info on the mekt and company. and more explanation of what's going on.

#3003 01/24/07 11:08 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I loved this. Even more than this weeks X-Factor. I'm really interested in this new Mekt. Is his death wish really genetic or is it caused by the way solos are treated on Winath? Or maybe he doesn't have one at all, and it's just Winathian bias that makes them think that.

Hell of a place to end the story. I would have liked to find out what the red stuff is, but I suppose that would have weakend the cliff hanger a bit.

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#3004 01/25/07 01:36 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
A few notes:

Theena's on the roll call page!

Another Ranzz annoys Brainy. Yay, Ranzzes! (And points to S-girl while I'm at it.)

Look at the lass in the top right of the "extremely annoying compliment" panel.

The Korbalians are humanoid this time around. Hmm.

Mekt is behind blue eyes again. (And flashback-Ayla.) Eh? And in a "costume". Aw, damn. I was hoping he'd wear regular clothes. I'll still hold out hope for no code name.

Death wish? Sounds like space-malarkey. Oh the other hand, Mekt did willing engage in a (telepathic?) tete-a-tete with Cos.

#3005 01/25/07 01:55 AM
Active
Active
ooo here is where picking up those back issues is a good thing. Issue 16 of the 5yl story talks about the Red Terror which is a weapon designed to unlock irrational fears and drive people insane.

My favorite line:
"If you're stealing Legionaires and you're not starting with that Brainiac kid, I have a problem with that!" -SG

#3006 01/25/07 04:09 AM
P
Reservist
Reservist
P
Originally posted by wndola1:
Issue 16 of the 5yl story talks about the Red Terror which is a weapon designed to unlock irrational fears and drive people insane.
Oooo, really? Considering you've got Mon-El, Ultra Boy, Supergirl and B5 at ground zero (plus, like, some civilians, I guess) the result would be *interesting*.

#3007 01/25/07 04:48 AM
Active
Active
Thanks Wamu2 - you can repeat yourself as often as you like as far as I'm concerned! laugh

Great to hear most of you are continuing to enjoy the story! smile

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#3008 01/25/07 10:27 AM
M
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
M
Theena's on the roll call page!
I noticed that, but... Is that Theena? I wasn't sure the 'tentacles' were the right shape, or her hair, for that matter. I know there are some extra figures among those silhouettes; there are 23 of them now, and I don't recognize them all.

If it is Theena, allow me to be the first to predict that she's going to win the election for Legion leader.

#3009 01/25/07 11:06 AM
Active
Active
Ok I was thinking about this and can anyone tell if the other Coluan has a queue? It seemed like all the Coluans in issue 7 had them except Brainy who has what seems to be a crewcut.

#3010 01/25/07 11:12 AM
Reservist
Reservist
Loved the splash page which was the first teaser image we saw of this new legion. Does anyone have the original image available so we can compare them side-by-side to see how much Barry changed it?

Love the art, love the progress of the story.

Favorite line..."the muscleheads 3"

#3011 01/25/07 11:37 AM
Active
Active
I like the bit when brainy mentions he can't see while they are tunneling underground. I do like to see science/scifi science at work in a comic.

I think poor Kara is headed for some unhappiness. Mon-El was very evasive about what happens before she returns to her own time.

by the way what the heck is a banyo. Mon-El says they will peel the robot like one. in the Legion canon is it the second favorite fruit after kono?

also, if the Dominator weapon just went off, I guess a Dominator fleet will appear next issue?

as for the red dust, I wouldn't worry, I am sure Brainy has an antidote worked up in lab just in case.

#3012 01/25/07 11:45 AM
Deputy
Deputy
In an issue full of powerful imagery, the Dominator Monsterbot surfacing in MegaTokyo has *got* to take the prize. Second and third places go to Barry's self-homage smile on the first page and the final splash of Earth turning blood-red. Honorable mention to Mekt's greeting on the roll call page. Splendid work, Barry, Mick and Nathan.

In defense of Mekt -- as strong as his suicidal impluses may be, he managed to overcome them to save his younger sibs. There's familial loyalty at work here, not only in Mekt's rescue but also in the twins' strong feelings of responsibility towards their older brother. Garth's dogged pursuit of Mekt takes on a greater sense of urgency now, too. He wasn't simply searching for a prodigal brother, but trying to stop him from killing himself. As weird a family as they are, the Ranzzes do care for each other.

Though I miss the traditonal lightning beasts, the humanoid electrical creatures of Korbal played their role pretty well. You can almost smell the burning flesh.

I like Mekt's costume. It's reminiscant of the Cockrum outfit, in ways more subtle than Garth's. Another good line worth repeating: "And to think they called me the crazy one in the family."

Mon-El's gung-ho attitude and joy at "the feel of things again" - even if it's rocks - was a great touch. I'm intrigued by his future meeting with Kara - his past, her future. Not unexpected confirmation that it was Kal-El who put him in the Zone.

You'd think Brainy would be surprised at the sight of another "green kid" from Colu who escaped Lemnos mind-plague. I guess he had other things on his mind. As the list of Legion doppelgangers on the Wanderers team continues to grow, so do the potential casualties.

If wndola1 is right about the nature of the Red Terror, Imra and Jeyra are going to have their hands full soon.

I'm pretty sure it is Theena on the roll call page, but there's still that one mystery male figure behind Ayla and Garth. He doesn't look like Sun Boy to me.

#3013 01/25/07 12:25 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Tromium:

I'm pretty sure it is Theena on the roll call page, but there's still that one mystery male figure behind Ayla and Garth. He doesn't look like Sun Boy to me.
He does not. Difficult to say from the pose but can we hope for a reimagined 'Hip Hop' Tyroc who has a variety of powers accessed when he makes little raps. tease er Maybe not.

'I resent that' Didn't the animated Brainy say that line on the cartoon?

I think the red dust is a big helping of the following.

Friends do you need an alien army to beat up? Are you tired cleaning up smashed invasion fleets after the fight? Do you need a decorative tin to put in your trophy room at HQ? Then you need INSTANT DOMINATORS(TM). Just add water. Now available for a limited time in a signature Giant Robot tin.

Supplies are limited, act now. Operators are standing by.

#3014 01/25/07 01:29 PM
Active
Active
The best part of this book continues to be the artwork and the dialogue.

I'm old school enough to be bothered by unnecessary changes like the lightning beasts being humanoid this time around. Legion lore doesn't always have to be tweaked just for the sake of making things seem fresh or new. I say...tweak only when it improves upon the past.

Minor quibble...why is Projectra featured in roll call when she isn't in the story and why is she listed as having no power when her illusion powers have been established?

I agree with Tamper Lad...my first thought when I saw the red dust was...those are millions of tiny red Dominator disks.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#3015 01/25/07 02:23 PM
Active
Active
Have to say, I got a warm fuzzy feeling seeing Jo and Lar in action together again. It's been way too long since we've seen that!

#3016 01/25/07 02:23 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Originally posted by wamu2:

by the way what the heck is a banyo. Mon-El says they will peel the robot like one. in the Legion canon is it the second favorite fruit after kono?

The only real thing I've found is a small town in Cameroon and part of various company, place or school names. I'm guessing that it's something from his home planet of Krypton, since it apparently isn't from Earth. I don't think he'd run into many exotics in the Smallville area.

#3017 01/25/07 02:34 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by The Man From Cargg:
I'm old school enough to be bothered by unnecessary changes like the lightning beasts being humanoid this time around. Legion lore doesn't always have to be tweaked just for the sake of making things seem fresh or new. I say...tweak only when it improves upon the past.
As a fellow old-schooler, I don't really mind this change. The electrical humanoids are appropriately chilling without being the least bit silly. No matter which way you look at them, the old dinosaurish lightning beasts were pretty comical looking creatures that might have easily detracted from the dark and dangerous tone of the story. All things considered, I was surprised they adhered so closely to the oft told and retold Ranzz origin tale when they could have gone off in a completely different direction.

I wanted to add that Mekt's psychological "condition" apparently doesn't affect his intellect. The way he manipulated the Legion into finding the PZ projector (I guess Jeyra or some other spy must have tipped him off when they took Kara to Rokyn) was pretty darn clever, though I still wonder how he learned about the legendary "lost superhuman".

On another front, I'm still waiting patiently to see Tarik the Mute. It seems he's both mute and invisible, too.

#3018 01/25/07 04:31 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Originally posted by wndola1:
ooo here is where picking up those back issues is a good thing. Issue 16 of the 5yl story talks about the Red Terror which is a weapon designed to unlock irrational fears and drive people insane.
Alright, so if that's true and invulnerability isn't enough to stop it, we have three powerhouses about to go off the deep end. Best case scenario, there's still one powerhouse going nuts.

We've also got Brainy there, and we know from the Dream Girl death episode that he can't keep his force feild up all the time. Now, if in the normal course of like he was paranoid enough to create a countermeasure to all his teammates' powers, what will he do when given an additional dose of paranoia?

Perhaps we have some of his 'experiments gone wrong' coming up? What do you think of a possible C.O.M.P.U.T.O coming into play, especially when tied into the rest of the robot rebellion?

#3019 01/26/07 02:41 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by The Man From Cargg:
Well I for one think that these electrical beings ARE an improvment to the purple earless purple electrical elephant things. But that's just me.

#3020 01/26/07 07:24 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:

[QUOTE]Well I for one think that these electrical beings ARE an improvment to the purple earless purple electrical elephant things. But that's just me.
it's quotes like yours that have eagerly awaiting that first showcase book to drop.

on another note, where is SunBoy? it's a been a while since that space ship went boom! and I am waiting to know how is it Jeyira(sp?) killed to protect the robot rebellion and is now working against it. was she working undercover, or like Saul was she a bad person who saw the light? didn't anyone read Cham's field notes or did he forget to file them?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,536
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
BLA, Queer Legion
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Karie
Karie
Durban, South Africa & Auckland, New Zealand.
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star