Roll Call
0 members (), 22 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 09/27/24 01:54 AM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by Gaseous Lad - 09/26/24 07:49 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 09/26/24 07:49 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 09/26/24 07:45 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 09/26/24 06:54 PM
Rejected Ideas for Inane MMB Threads...
by rickshaw1 - 09/26/24 05:41 PM
Why love the legion?
by Boy Kid Lad - 09/26/24 03:47 PM
UFO (1970)
by profh0011 - 09/26/24 03:19 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Doctor Who - Series 3
#564736 01/05/07 11:43 AM
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
I can't find the old thread for Season 2, which I finally finished watching over Christmas break.

So Billie's done, huh? I think I knew it was coming, but still was a little sad. I can't imagine being trapped in a world that wasn't mine, especially after the adventures she'd been on and things she'd seen. I'm actually more sad about losing the supporting characters--the boyfriend, the mom--than over her. She did a really good job of being the everyperson, showing us what a "normal" person would do in the outlandish situations she found herself in...

Finale: Daleks vs. robo-dudes? Is is just me or has this incarnation of Dr. Who spent more time referencing past enemies and adventures? I'm sure its exciting for long time fans, but now I know what new Legion fans feel like when the Fatal Five show up AGAIN. It was fun, though...

So what's next? Has season 3 begun in the UK? Who is the bride?

The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!
Re: Doctor Who - Series 3
#564737 01/05/07 01:12 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Here\'s the original thread for the second season. As far as I know they are still filming season three and it won't air until summer. But they did do another Christmas special (which I have yet to get a copy of).

#564738 01/08/07 04:53 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The Christmas special was fun.
The “bride” was played by Catherine Tate, better known for being a comedy sketch show performer than anything else.
It was a fun little romp but had a few really poor scientific moments which jarred.
Tate was better in this than I expected and she took the part of being a bossy, really annoyed character well. Not sure she would have been able to carry the role of a long term companion but as a one off it was watchable.
Special effects were good (for Doctor Who)
And there was a neat little premise for the real reason the Earth formed. Which when you thought about it for more than a milli second was utter and total tosh and I am looking forward to some one being able to rationalise that with the earths core etc.

New series is due on in the UK in the Summer. And we have Daleks back again, this time in 1930’s New York.

Faithfull
#564739 01/08/07 05:16 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Last two series have started on the Easter weekend. If it keeps that up, it's back on the 7th of April. And, even if it's a little bit later, it'll still start in springtime since it's in the BBC1 Winter/Spring PR.

And can this thread be renamed to "Doctor Who: Series 3" maybe.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#564740 01/08/07 11:09 AM
Leader
Leader
Thread renamed for series 3.

I've yet to watch the Christmas special actually, although I have DVDed it so I will get round to watching it at some point. I detest Catherine Tate but Chris said she's not too annoyign in it and isn't trying to do comedy so she might be bearable.

I'm looking forward to series 3 though since Torchwood has been such a massive disappointment. The Sarah Jane Adenvtures pilot that was on at Christmas was rather good though if you get a chance to see it. A few references to the Brigadier in it as well so he could turn up during the series proper (which I think is meant to start some time in the summer).

Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)
#564741 01/11/07 12:30 PM
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Series 3 isn't even on the UK yet!? Ugh, so we'll be waiting a while...

Don't judge me!
#564742 02/27/07 04:32 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
One Week Earlier than previous years - it starts on the 31st of March, 2007

http://www.dwscifi.com/articles/show/227

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

#564743 02/28/07 12:47 PM
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
So how long did it take for the series to make it to the States in previous years?

Don't judge me!
#564744 03/06/07 01:24 PM
Reservist
Reservist
One of my fellows in my Dr. Who chapter just told me that they announced on http://www.dwin.org that CBC will start showing Season 3 in June! And to top it off, Torchwood may be shown in the fall!

So instead of having to wait a looooooong 7-8 months and have delay after delay in September, we can get it in June, presumably still on Monday nights.

Awesome!

The best way to find out where you're from is to find out where you're going and then work backwards.
Where are you going?
I don't know!

Spooooooon!!!
#564745 03/31/07 04:02 PM
Leader
Leader
So, first episode of the new series. No spoilers from me here apart from in a very roundabout way.

Actually a pretty good episode. Nothing groundbreaking or completely new but a good fun, simple done-in-one story that nicely introduced Martha. In terms of doing that it was probably a better episode than 'Rose', but then again 'Rose' not only had to introduce us to Rose but to New Who as well whereas this one didn't.

Martha is a good character. Bright, got a bit of spunk and fun without being a clone of Rose. They could have gone for the complete opposite of Rose and had it be a clunker and despite the fact that Martha isn't really very like Rose she's the same kind of character without just being a replacement, if you see what i mean. I also liked the fact that they did actually explain away the actress having been in the last series finale and being killed there.

Alien make-up was pretty cool and I liked their spaceships as well. The baddie, and especially their weapon of choice, was also very fun.

And at the end I think I spotted the little reference to a series big bad (if you've seen any of the announcements about who is playing who in the new series you'll probably know what I'm referring to).

Overall then a pretty good start to the new series. If it can keep to this standard then it might not be anything astoundingly brilliant but it'll certainly be good, entertaining TV which is more than we get from a lot of places these days. I'd recommend it, especially if like me you were severely disappointed by Torchwood.

#564746 04/01/07 03:27 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I agree, this was a good start to the new series. I think the new assistant should work out ok. <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> I especially liked the bit where she challenged the doctor to “earn that title” </span></span>

Martha has a family, with her Dad separated from her mum and no love lost between them, with a brother and sister it looks as if we are going to be seeing more of the effects on family life of being a doctors assistant.

When I first saw the trailers for the series I thought we were getting the return of the Sontarans but I quite like the Judoon, especially their Dredd like emphasis on judging and sentencing. I thought their spaceships were cool as well.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">I was not so keen on the “death of the Doctor” aspect and the way of him recovering, I thought it was a bit too pat. </span></span>

All in all I think this is going to be another good series.

Not to sure about the “modernisation” of the language of Shakespeare in the next episode but I suppose that must be put down to the Tardis translating for us in the same way it does for all the other alien languages.

Faithfull
#564747 04/02/07 09:10 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Well, let's get one thing straight first:

It blew Torchwood out of the water. One hopes that show will see a SERIOUS retooling for S2 on BBC2, since it so blatantly needs it - but I doubt it. The difference in quality is embarrassing when they're made by basically the same people (let's hope Cap'n Jack is better when he turns up for 11-13).

ANYway, it's not the best of the new series, but it's certainly far better than Rose (the ep) and gives me hope for Martha, as FA put in a good performance. The family... oh dear, but we'll leave them to one side for the moment since they (except for the fairly sane sister) didn't get much screentime in the hope they don't stink up the show the way Jackie did.

Tennant... the "Like so, see" scene, although it was justified by the end, left me wondering if they'd accidentally put in a joke-take by mistake. The hopping scene as well... wasn't good. Otherwise, again, a decent performance even if he's still not as good as Eccleston, and I think Martha may be a better fit than Rose. And nice thought with the bored mouthing along to "Bigger on..."

The Judoon platoon... the CGI was a bit dodgy on landing, no? And having one and only one take his helmet off was a bit too blatantly budget-saving - the lip-synch wasn't great, and it might have been better and less blatant just to leave them all helmeted. Nice enough concept though.

7/10. Better than Rose, and we'll see where it goes from here, although the obligatory "Celebrity Historial" next week gives me that annual sinking feeling...

#564748 04/07/07 07:56 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Ow.

#564749 05/31/07 11:23 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper

#564750 06/01/07 03:40 AM
Leader
Leader
Eh, it's The Sun which is little better than teh likes of The National Enquirer when it comes to news. It's a fairly open secret that Davies is planning on leaving as writer/producer at the end of the next series and there hasn't been any comfirmation that Tennant has signed up beyond the end of the third series (or possibly the fourth, I forget about that) but I doubt the Beeb would pull the entire series just because of Davies' departure. It's a big critical, ratings and financial hit so unless they're planning on concentrating on the spin-off series (Torchwood if it gets any better, the Sarah-Jane Adventures if it actually gets amde and the supposed K-9 cartoon series I can't see them ending it if they still think it's got legs.

Plus Davies has been responsible for some of the clunkiest plot developments in Who ever (the whole Time War rubbish and at least partially responsible for the reprehensible Daleks two parter from this current series) so his departure wouldn't automatically be a bad thing.

We'll see though. I could be talking out of my arse on this one, but I'd be surprised if that story holds true in terms of the series ending just because Davies is planning on leaving.

#564751 06/01/07 06:33 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
The K9 series is nothing whatsoever to do with the Beeb.

And no chance of it ending while it's popular. The BBC'll want this to run and run [into the ground].

#564752 07/02/07 09:15 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper

#564753 07/02/07 09:37 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
And Kylie\'s the Xmas Stunt-Casting Companion

So... series 3... Not a vintage year, IMO...

#564754 07/03/07 03:37 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Reboot:
So... series 3... Not a vintage year, IMO...
Hooboy, no.

And to think I was rather stoked about the series after everything seemed to take a turn for the better with the comparatively deep Human Nature two-parter and the entertaining Blink, but with that season finale they really managed to drop the ball ...from about ten stories high, managing to kill several innocent passers-by with it.

#564755 07/03/07 07:17 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook

#564756 07/04/07 03:34 AM
Leader
Leader
Overall I thought series 3 was pretty good. The dalek two parter was utterly hideous and I'm trying to wipe it from my memory still, but most of the episodes have been entertaining if not brilliant and the Human Nature two parter and (especially) Blink were brilliant. Blink is probably one of the best episodes of Who for absolutely years (and gets better on second viewing as well in that it's one fo those stories that works even better when you know what's going on all the way through). The finale was, I agree, a big mis-step. It wasn't awful exactly but was all the worse for just being very dull. There were so many ideas and plot points that could have been great that just degenerated into cliche and hokum. For the most part (even more so that the finales of the last two series) just felt like RTD was sat there going 'look how clever I am at setting this plot up through the series and how intrictae I can be with my plotting' and then forgot to include any kind of decent story. Bleh.

As for Kylie in the Christmas special, i can live with that. When she's on form she's a decent actress (nothing outstanding but not bad) and as long as she's not just celebrity casting for the sake of celbrity casting she might be quite good. It depends largely on the script anyone know who's written it? Lets hope it's Stephen Moffat and not Chris Chibnall or his ilk).

Tate as one of the new companions makes me very sad though. The onyl way they could make the companions even more annoying is if they cast Ricky Gervaise as the second assistant. Bleurgh.

#564757 07/09/07 12:13 PM
Reservist
Reservist
I watched it, and I liked it. I was entertained and laughed. I'm enjoying the Doctor back and glad he is in. I liked the two companions though the Doctor does seem a bit needy asking everyone he meets to go traveling with him. I also like how they are showing that he misses Rose. Looking forward to the rest of the series...

I just can't BLOK it out!
#564758 07/17/07 03:50 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Still like it!

I just can't BLOK it out!
#564759 09/04/07 05:12 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Ack!

Dr. Who to take a gap year in 2009.

[edit note: not sure where FC was meaning to link to but I doubt the LW election thread was the right place. I changed the link to the BBC story]

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#564760 09/04/07 11:08 AM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
My biggest complaint about the series is trying to include the element of romance/sex between the Doctor and the companion (be it Rose or Martha)

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,055
Posts1,048,824
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
minesurfer
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
antacidlass
antacidlass
wherever acid reflux lurks
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star