Legion World
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Jem and the Holograms comic book - 02/24/15 01:02 PM
It arrives in stores next month, and I could not be more excited.

Interview with writer Kelly Thompson:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=59529
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 02/24/15 04:55 PM
I know, right?!

The two things I really love about this upcoming comic is that they made Jetta Black like she was originally intended to be but she's still from Britain, and now Kimber and Stormer are allowed to actually BE in a relationship instead of just blatantly hinting at it.

They're okay.

They're okay.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/06/15 11:40 PM
Guys, just a head's up for anyone who wants to discuss this topic further.

The artist on this book is no longer "Ross" Campbell.

Because she just announced on twitter that her name's Sophie Campbell, and she's been transitioning for the past year.

Remember to refer to her using the proper pronouns.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/07/15 01:06 AM
Thank you for the good news, Sarky. This is a milestone in the history of comics. And yes, she must be referred to by the proper pronouns.

Re: Stormer, I've always thought of the original trio of Misfits as a human female version of the Seekers from the original Transformers cartoon. Think about it:

Stormer - Thundercracker, the one whose heart really isn't into being evil.

Roxy - Skywarp, the dumb thug.

Pizazz - Starscream, the screeching, power-hungry lunatic.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/07/15 02:54 AM
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
Thank you for the good news, Sarky. This is a milestone in the history of comics. And yes, she must be referred to by the proper pronouns.

Re: Stormer, I've always thought of the original trio of Misfits as a human female version of the Seekers from the original Transformers cartoon. Think about it:

Stormer - Thundercracker, the one whose heart really isn't into being evil.

Roxy - Skywarp, the dumb thug.

Pizazz - Starscream, the screeching, power-hungry lunatic.

Then who's Jetta?
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/07/15 03:02 AM
Um...Ramjet?

I honestly had never thought about that. shrug

I like Jetta (her showcase episode where she pretends that her family is upper class is a favorite), but I look at the original trio as being perfectly balanced, just as the original trio of Decepticon jets was.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/07/15 03:36 AM
Meanwhile Clash is standing outside the room in the pouring rain:

Clash: Can I be a Seeker too?
Pizzazz: Forget it Clash, you're a LOSER!
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/07/15 04:08 PM
LOL rotflmao
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/08/15 07:05 AM
FL have you ever seen Bill Walko's Jem redesigns?
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/08/15 08:55 PM
No, but I'd love to. I'm a fan of his Titans fanart.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/08/15 09:14 PM
This thread is truly, truly outrageous!
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/08/15 09:16 PM
I wouldn't have it any other way. grin
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/08/15 09:37 PM
I don't think I ever watched Jem, but I saw the commercials frequently while watching other things. Seems it was advertised a lot during an old fave Inspector Gadget, iirc. I think I kinda wanted to watch it, as my interest in girls was just starting to bloom.

But I never got past the "for girls" stigma to give it a chance. Ah, the perils of gender profiling of our youth. I think it was a lot more forbidden for boys to watch, do or play with "girl" things than the reverse. A rare instance where gender discrimination actually worked more against males than females.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/08/15 10:17 PM
Ironically, head writer and show delevoper Christy Marx almost turned down the "Jem" offer because the concept was too "girly" for her taste (she had previously written episodes of "Spider-Man" and "G.I. Joe" -- and I know you're a "G.I. Joe" fan, Lardy, so I'll give you the episode titles: "Countdown for Zartan", "Synthoid Cospiracy", "Captives of Cobra".)
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/09/15 01:39 AM
No, but I'd love to. I'm a fan of his Titans fanart.

http://billwalko.tumblr.com/post/105531906335/jem-love-by-bill-walko
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/09/15 03:07 AM
AWESOME!!

Thanks, Sarky.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/09/15 03:20 AM
Ironically, head writer and show delevoper Christy Marx almost turned down the "Jem" offer because the concept was too "girly" for her taste (she had previously written episodes of "Spider-Man" and "G.I. Joe" -- and I know you're a "G.I. Joe" fan, Lardy, so I'll give you the episode titles: "Countdown for Zartan", "Synthoid Cospiracy", "Captives of Cobra".)

I watched Joe as a kid but not super-avidly. I would say my peak was about the first 20 issues of the Marvel comic, which mostly preceded the show. There are actually few episodes I can easily recall. frown
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/09/15 04:10 AM
Originally Posted by Paladin

I watched Joe as a kid but not super-avidly. I would say my peak was about the first 20 issues of the Marvel comic, which mostly preceded the show. There are actually few episodes I can easily recall. frown

Ah, okay.

All three episodes are very good, especially "Countdown for Zartan". You might be able to find them on YouTube or Netflix.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/09/15 04:36 AM
AWESOME!!

Thanks, Sarky.

I've gotten a few Jem related commissions from Bill.

He's done Stormer and Kimber, Stormer and Arsenal from the Titans, Lin-Z, and redesigns of Astral and Graphix for me.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/18/15 02:19 PM
http://www.comicbookresources.com/prev_img.php?pid=39774&disp=ilib&oty=1&oid=60261

So it looks like a certain fan is making her first appearance in June.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/25/15 11:58 PM
So...it's finally here, aaaaaaaaaand...

...it's a bit underwhelming IMO.

Don't get me wrong, Sophie's art is lovely, and Kelly gets the Holograms' and Synergy's voices just right, but GAWD is it decompressed!

It takes the whole first issue for Jerrica to first assume the Jem persona. Wouldn't it have worked better to start in medias res and use flashbacks for punctuation??

Well, the Misfits enter the stage next issue. Should be an improvement.

Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/26/15 12:13 AM
Well, at least it didn't open with a funeral like the first episode did. Although I guess that would've been more of a conversation starter.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/26/15 12:15 AM
Good point well taken, Sarky.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/26/15 12:18 AM
My guess is the creative team didn't want to overwhelm the readers who're new to Jem and wanted to simply introduce the Holograms and Synergy via establishing them first in this new series.

Remember the Misfits kind of stole the show the moment they first appeared in the cartoon. Although I'm guessing next issue they're NOT gonna burst in the room on motorcycles shaped like guitars.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/26/15 12:21 AM
LOL Yeah.

I haven't watched the show in a while, I'd forgotten about the motorcycles. Will have to go on a Jem marathon, but first I have to reach the midpoint of the Transformers/GoBots thread. Long overdue. blush
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/26/15 12:28 AM
A head's up. The episode where Minx almost dies is really hard to get through because it's one of those "the Holograms are being insufferable" episodes.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/26/15 12:35 AM
Tee hee. Thanks, Sarky.

No matter how annoying the other Holograms ever got, I always found it easy to forgive Kimber just about anything.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 04/30/15 12:09 AM
HUGE improvement with the second issue. If anyone at Legion World wrote off this comic after the iffy first issue, I beg you to give a second chance with the second issue.

Where the first issue was decompressed, this one is unbelievably compressed. There's more going on in this issue than in a whole modern-day TRADE!

Sophie continues to impress with her art, and Kelly shows she knows the Misfits' voices just as well as she knows the Holograms' voices. And additional kudos to Kelly for making Rio much less of a himbo than he was on the show.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 04/30/15 02:28 AM
Oh my GOOOOOOOOD Stormer and Kimber in this issue.

New bios: http://www.themarysue.com/exclusive-jem-and-the-holograms-character-bios/
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 05/21/15 02:19 AM
So, issue #3:

The Misfits stuff was first-rate, the stuff with the Holograms was cute, but the Jerrica/Rio stuff I found to be cliched and even a little creepy.

But that won't keep me from buying issue #4, no way.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 05/21/15 03:22 AM
I continue to fall in love with Sophie Campbell's facial expressions. Roxy especially is hilarious.

Noooooo! The bagellllllls!
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 05/21/15 03:26 AM
Yeah, that was a great scene and a great throwaway line.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 05/21/15 03:26 AM
Especially the look she gives Clash immediately after when Clash tries talking to Pizzazz. Like she's saying "THE BAGELS ARE DEAD WHY ARE YOU TALKING?!"
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 06/26/15 12:47 AM
After the slight stumble last month, the new issue is reeeeally good IMO. The scenes between Kimber and Stormer are particularly heartbreaking.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 06/26/15 08:05 PM
So the last issue made such an impression on me that I've been thinking about it constantly, and I have to wonder:

Has anyone at Legion World other than Sarky and I given this comic a chance? If not, I would highly recommend giving Jem #4 a go. Trust me, you'll be happy you did.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 06/26/15 08:15 PM
Movie?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 06/26/15 10:15 PM
Has anyone at Legion World other than Sarky and I given this comic a chance?

I'm buying Sabrina for [insert your choice of deity here]'s sake, Fickles. It's a brave new world for me, and you'll just have to give me time. smile

Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 06/26/15 10:34 PM
The world might end tomorrow, Thoth. Do you really want to go to your reward wondering what might have been?

Just kidding. Take all the time you need.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 06/26/15 10:46 PM
Survivor 1: I can't believe the bombs dropped!
Survivor 2: At least these old fallout shelters still work. But what are we going to do.
thoth: I brought some things to read!
Survivor 1: That's great. A mini book club!
Survivor 2: Yeah! What do you have?
thoth: >holds up Sabrina in one hand and Jem in the other.<
Survivor 1: I've always felt strongly about three being a crowd...

One eviction later...

Grasping the comics in clenched fists, thoth raises his arms to an ash laden sky...FICKLES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 06/26/15 11:15 PM
LOL

rotflmao
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 07/04/15 09:31 PM
FL, have you noticed the way the Misfits interact with one another? I mean, even Stormer is willing to insult them if it means getting them off her back.

It feels kind of like Thompson and Campbell are trying to work in a little what (I've read) Christy Marx originally wanted to do with them. Apparently they were originally conceived as a trio of sociopaths who'd gladly backstab each other if it meant getting more personal attention.

The Misfits here, despite obviously being together longer, don't really seem to have any loyalty to each other. I mean, Roxy and Jetta aren't down each other's throats all the time, but all it takes is Stormer making a jab at Roxy incorrectly using "literally" and Jetta will gladly laugh at her.

The only things they seem to agree on is A: Stormer is supposed to be Ms. Sensible Shoes, B: The Holograms must be stopped, and C: Being appropriately freaked out when Pizzazz starts wrecking things.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 07/04/15 09:36 PM
I hadn't thought of that, Sarky, but now that you mention it, yes, the Misfits do seem like a more realistic group of mercenary, looking-out-for-number-one rock stars than they came off as on the TV show.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 07/04/15 09:42 PM
You'd never expect Stormer to joke about the idea that the Misfits aren't likely to actually be able to read, but there you go.

Although I have to wonder if this means she doesn't know about Roxy's illiteracy and only just sees it as her using words incorrectly.

Not to mention how far Clash is willing to go for the Misfits here.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 07/04/15 09:45 PM
I have a feeling that all those questions will be answered in the next couple issues.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 09/02/15 10:49 PM
How does this comic keep becoming even more amazing?!
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 09/02/15 11:22 PM
I'll be reading the final installment of the first arc within the next couple days, and comment accordingly.

I did already read Sophie Campbell's love letter to her fans and supporters in the back of the issue. It moved me to tears. I'll miss her while she's on her 4-issue hiatus, but it's just make her return all the sweeter.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 09/02/15 11:26 PM
Oh it's just 4 issues? I thought she was off permanently.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 09/03/15 01:08 PM
At the end of the essay, she says "I'll see all of you again when I return for Jem and the Holograms #11." I interpreted as meaning that she'd be back for the third arc, but maybe it's just for one issue.

I should add that I've been totally out of the loop of comics industry news since my computer stopped being able to load any of the comics news websites.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 09/16/15 10:09 PM
My reaction to the newest issue of Jem.

GOD DAMN YOU ERIC RAYMOND. GOD DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!!!!!
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 01/21/16 08:46 PM
Wow. This book has been through a LOT in the last few months.

I'm really surprised everybody loves Blaze. Usually you add a new character to a preexisting property and everybody screams bloody murder.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/04/16 05:56 PM
The last issue to come out was wonderful, but I feel really bad.

We had Blaze reveal her status as a transgender woman to the Misfits because she was afraid they wouldn't accept her, and didn't believe it was right to keep it from them. And apparently, one reviewer and a few trans readers thought the scene was handled poorly, and Sophie Campbell reacted very sadly towards it. It's a shame.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/04/16 07:05 PM
Wow. That sounds powerful.

The last time I remember there being so much controversy over a comic was the "baby dupe" issue of X-Factor, which I ended up liking a lot.

I had pretty much given up on all comics, but I may check this out. This is, after all, the first comic dealing with a transwoman where one of the creators was trans herself.

Thanks, Sarky.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/04/16 07:16 PM
And here's the thing. Clash, CLASH, of all people, tells Blaze that they will destroy all of their Misfits gear if the Misfits do have a problem with Blaze being trans, even though Clash asserts they won't.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/04/16 08:56 PM
Wow. That sounds powerful.

The last time I remember there being so much controversy over a comic was the "baby dupe" issue of X-Factor, which I ended up liking a lot.

I had pretty much given up on all comics, but I may check this out. This is, after all, the first comic dealing with a transwoman where one of the creators was trans herself.

Thanks, Sarky.

Wait what about Rachel Pollack and Coagula?
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 03/04/16 09:30 PM
Oops.

My memory's not what it used to be.

OTOH, it's the first one in such a mainstream context. Doom Patrol was always culty.

Also the first one in a generation.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Jem and the Holograms comic book - 09/15/16 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Sarcasm Kid
The last issue to come out was wonderful, but I feel really bad.

We had Blaze reveal her status as a transgender woman to the Misfits because she was afraid they wouldn't accept her, and didn't believe it was right to keep it from them. And apparently, one reviewer and a few trans readers thought the scene was handled poorly, and Sophie Campbell reacted very sadly towards it. It's a shame.

I finally got around to reading this issue thanks to the third Jem trade (these days, I buy most of the comics that I'm committed to when they come out in trades.)

I can kind of see how some trans readers and trans-friendly critics might have had a problem with the scene, because while it's heartwarming to see that the Misfits are trans-friendly (or at least most of them; after all, Pizzazz wasn't there, and Gods only know how she's going to react when she finds out, what with the potential rivalry between her and Blaze for the lead singer gig already simmering), it did feel a little bit too...I don't know...maybe "neat and tidy" is the phrase I'm looking for? Or perhaps "unambiguous and lacking in real-life human messiness?"

Still, I think it's a step in the right direction, and hopefully Kelly consulted with Sophie about where the story should go in subsequent arcs before Sophie left (yes, sadly, Sophie has now left Jem for good. Her replacement, Jen Bartel, is quite good, even if her style is a lot more traditional than Sophie's and lacks the endearing cartoony quirkiness that has defined the first 16 issues.)

I think it's also worth noting that Blaze's revelation is all of the piece with the theme of the "Dark Jem" storyline -- heroines aren't entirely good, and villainesses aren't entirely evil, and sometimes, the cosmos inverts those extremes in unexpected and surprising ways. And even if the status quo was more-or-less restored by the end, there is a definite sense to me that none of these young women will ever be quite the same as before. Which is a good thing.
© Legion World