Roll Call
1 members (Chaim Mattis Keller), 113 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by Boy Kid Lad - 09/27/24 01:44 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 09/27/24 01:54 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 09/26/24 07:49 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 09/26/24 07:45 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 09/26/24 06:54 PM
Rejected Ideas for Inane MMB Threads...
by rickshaw1 - 09/26/24 05:41 PM
Why love the legion?
by Boy Kid Lad - 09/26/24 03:47 PM
UFO (1970)
by profh0011 - 09/26/24 03:19 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 63 of 81 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 80 81
Re: The NON-LEGION comics trivia thread!!! Round two
#398451 01/30/11 10:14 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Which Batman-villain had a brief supporting role in Neil Gaiman's Sandman?

Not -

Two-Face
Mad Hatter
Scarecrow
Rose & Thorn
Dr. Destiny
Hugo Strange
Catwoman
The "Funland" Killer
Calendar Man
Poison Ivy
Riddler
Cluemaster
Penguin
Calculator
Mr Freeze
Dr. Death
or
Gorilla Boss of Gotham

Clues so far -

* A specifically Batman-villain.
* Their appearance in Sandman was more of a supporting role than a cameo (but not a very big one).
* Never appeared 'in costume' (though they do normally wear one).
* Not only did they never appear 'in costume', no mention of their other identity or the fact that they are a villain (let alone a Batman-villain) was ever made. Thus, if you didn't know that X was the secret identity of Y, you probably wouldn't have known that this was a Batman-villain you were reading about.
* Before their appearance in Sandman, this character had been "dead" in the then-current DCU for a number of years. Ever since then they've been "alive", with no in-DCU continuity explanation why - leaving fans (and Wikipedia) to assume that they had been one of the sinners shown escaping from Hell when Lucifer abdicated his throne a few issues earlier.

New clue -

* This character first appeared in the 1970s.

#398452 01/30/11 10:53 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Ah! I researched it and discovered the answer. Definitely on the fringes of Batman's rogues, but not super-duper obscure. I'll let the fun continue with one more clue: there have been multiple characters to go by the name.

(btw, the wikipedia article seems to contradict itself by saying that versions 1 & 3 participated in the same relatively recent story--I wonder if they both really did?)

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#398453 01/30/11 11:00 PM
C
Wanderer
Online Content
Wanderer
C
Clayface?

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
#398454 01/31/11 02:47 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Clayface is a good guess as it fits in with Lardy's clue (which was going to be my next one) but it's not the right answer.

Updating the question -

Not -

Two-Face
Mad Hatter
Scarecrow
Rose & Thorn
Dr. Destiny
Hugo Strange
Catwoman
The "Funland" Killer
Calendar Man
Poison Ivy
Riddler
Cluemaster
Penguin
Calculator
Mr Freeze
Dr. Death
Gorilla Boss of Gotham
or
Clayface

Clues so far -

* Their appearance in Sandman was more of a supporting role than a cameo (but not a very big one).
* Not only did they never appear 'in costume', no mention of their other identity or the fact that they are a villain (let alone a Batman-villain) was ever made. Thus, if you didn't know that X was the secret identity of Y, you probably wouldn't have known that this was a Batman-villain you were reading about.
* Before their appearance in Sandman, this character had been "dead" in the then-current DCU for a number of years. Ever since then they've been "alive", with no in-DCU continuity explanation why - leaving fans (and Wikipedia) to assume that they had been one of the sinners shown escaping from Hell when Lucifer abdicated his throne a few issues earlier.

New clue -

* 3 different characters have fought Batman under this identity. The one who appeared in Sandman is the original (and current-again I think) wearer of the disguise.

#398455 01/31/11 04:07 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Firebug?

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#398456 02/01/11 08:12 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer

Not -

Two-Face
Mad Hatter
Scarecrow
Rose & Thorn
Dr. Destiny
Hugo Strange
Catwoman
The "Funland" Killer
Calendar Man
Poison Ivy
Riddler
Cluemaster
Penguin
Calculator
Mr Freeze
Dr. Death
Gorilla Boss of Gotham
Clayface
or
Firebug

Clues so far -

* 3 different characters have fought Batman under this identity. The one who appeared in Sandman is the original (and current-again I think) wearer of the disguise.

New clue -

* Their appearance in Sandman was as someone's love interest.

#398457 02/01/11 10:35 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Thessaly?

#398458 02/02/11 03:23 PM
L
Wanderer
Wanderer
L
Blockbuster?

#398459 02/04/11 04:17 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer

Not -

Two-Face
Mad Hatter
Scarecrow
Rose & Thorn
Dr. Destiny
Hugo Strange
Catwoman
The "Funland" Killer
Calendar Man
Poison Ivy
Riddler
Cluemaster
Penguin
Calculator
Mr Freeze
Dr. Death
Gorilla Boss of Gotham
Clayface
Firebug
Thessaly
or
Blockbuster

Clues so far -

New clue -

* Comics this character has appeared in include Detective Comics, Batman, Batman: Shadow of the Bat, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Secret Origins, Birds of Prey, Young Justice, Identity Crisis, Salvation Run, Villains United, Who's Who, Underworld Unleashed, JLA, JSA, Superman/Batman, Secret Six, Gotham Central and, of course, Sandman.

#398460 02/04/11 05:21 AM
Leader
Leader
The Spook

#398461 02/04/11 07:34 AM
S
Active
Active
S
Dr Light?

#398462 02/04/11 08:22 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Man-bat?

#398463 02/04/11 12:16 PM
L
Wanderer
Wanderer
L
Blacula, even though this question has been going awhile, I love how you keep giving hints to keep the thread alive and moving! My hat is off to you, sir!

(I have no idea what the answer is, btw...)

#398464 02/05/11 01:06 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^ Thanks lancesrealm. smile Honestly, I wasn't expecting to have to leave all these clues, but people are taking longer to answer this question than I was expecting. And I'd hate to be the cause of Trivia Thread Death.

---

Not -

Two-Face
Mad Hatter
Scarecrow
Rose & Thorn
Dr. Destiny
Hugo Strange
Catwoman
The "Funland" Killer
Calendar Man
Poison Ivy
Riddler
Cluemaster
Penguin
Calculator
Mr Freeze
Dr. Death
Gorilla Boss of Gotham
Clayface
Firebug
Thessaly
Blockbuster
The Spook
Dr. Light
or
Man-Bat

Clues so far -

* Comics this character has appeared in include Detective Comics, Batman, Batman: Shadow of the Bat, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Secret Origins, Birds of Prey, Young Justice, Identity Crisis, Salvation Run, Villains United, Who's Who, Underworld Unleashed, JLA, JSA, Superman/Batman, Secret Six, Gotham Central and, of course, Sandman.

New clue -

* Even though this character is traditionally a "villain" of Batman's, their goals/objectives are actually the same as his - but their modus operandi is what brings them into conflict with the Bat-family.

#398465 02/05/11 04:41 AM
The Present is Past
The Present is Past
Killer Moth?

#398466 02/05/11 12:08 PM
S
Active
Active
S
Catman?

#398467 02/05/11 05:04 PM
Leader
Leader
Found the answer through research as well. I don't think I've personally ever read a story where this character was the main villain, though I have heard of them. Mainly from one of those "Daily Planet" in-house ads back in the 1970's that focused on a story of Batman vs. this baddie.

#398468 02/06/11 12:14 PM
C
Wanderer
Online Content
Wanderer
C
Reaper?

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
#398469 02/06/11 09:11 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer

Not -

Two-Face
Mad Hatter
Scarecrow
Rose & Thorn
Dr. Destiny
Hugo Strange
Catwoman
The "Funland" Killer
Calendar Man
Poison Ivy
Riddler
Cluemaster
Penguin
Calculator
Mr Freeze
Dr. Death
Gorilla Boss of Gotham
Clayface
Firebug
Thessaly
Blockbuster
The Spook
Dr. Light
Man-Bat
Killer Moth
Catman
or
Reaper

Instead of offering a new clue I'm going to amend some of the clues given so far -

* Their appearance in Sandman was more of a supporting role than a cameo (but not a very big one). THEY APPEARED IN THE KINDLY ONES STORYLINE.
* Never appeared 'in costume' (though they do normally wear one). A RATHER GARISHLY-COLOURED ONE.
* Before their appearance in Sandman, this character had been "dead" in the then-current DCU for a number of years. Ever since then they've been "alive", with no in-DCU continuity explanation why - leaving fans (and Wikipedia) to assume that they had been one of the sinners shown escaping from Hell when Lucifer abdicated his throne a few issues earlier. THEY HAD ORIGINALLY DIED AFTER DETONATING A BOMB STRAPPED TO THEIR BACK.
* This character first appeared in the 1970s. AND IS VERY MUCH A 1970s TYPE OF CHARACTER.
* 3 different characters have fought Batman under this identity. The one who appeared in Sandman is the original (and current-again I think) wearer of the disguise. THE SECOND ONE WAS KILLED BY CRISPUS ALLEN BEFORE HE BECAME THE SPECTRE.
* Their appearance in Sandman was as someone's love interest. SPECIFICALLY, LYTA HALL'S (BRIEF) LOVE INTEREST.
* Even though this character is traditionally a "villain" of Batman's, their goals/objectives are actually the same as his - but their modus operandi is what brings them into conflict with the Bat-family. THEY KILL DRUG DEALERS.

#398470 02/08/11 09:22 AM
C
Wanderer
Online Content
Wanderer
C
Sheesh. With those additional clues, I can certainly tell which character in Sandman you're referring to, but I have no idea what his costumed villain identity was.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
#398471 02/08/11 09:27 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Short of actually looking up the answer, I'll try one more educated guess. I remember in the Kindly Ones, Lyta was dating her boss, a guy named Eric (or Erik).

I don't know the details of this Batman villain other than the fact that he seems to fit the "opposite number" traits of your last clue, but, was it The Wrath?

(If that's not it, I think I'm out of guesses).

#398472 02/08/11 09:35 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Black Spider?

#398473 02/08/11 09:03 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Not The Wrath, Exnihil, but good guess.

But someone does finally put me out of my misery and get the answer (it was getting harder and harder to come up with those clues) -

Well done Kent! It was the Batman-villain Black Spider, otherwise known as Eric Needham, who briefly dated Lyta Hall at the end of Neil Gaiman's Sandman run!

(Did you work it out from the clues or did you have to look it up?)

Since his other identity was never mentioned, there's some debate as to whether Gaiman was actually using the Gerry Conway-created DCU character in his book - but it would be a pretty weird coincidence if there just happened to be TWO black guys of the same age and build and appearance named Eric Needham in DC comics.

I don't think Gaiman's ever explained the usage but since Sandman drew so heavily on 70s DC concepts (Kirby Sandman, Destiny, Cain & Abel, House of Mystery, etc.) it's obvious he was very familiar with that era and maybe just had a soft-spot for the Black Spider or something?

Whatever the case, most Black Spider/Eric Needham biographies now list his resurrection in Sandman as canon.

Here are his Wikipedia and Batman-Wikia entries for people wanting to know more about him -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Spider

http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Spider

He's a cool character that I'd like to see more of actually.

Now over to you Kent.

#398474 02/08/11 09:26 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I discovered the answer earlier by going through a list of minor Batman villains directed from the Batman entry on Wikipedia. I clicked on every one that originated in the '70s and found him in that manner. It was such a cool, tricky question that I wanted to see how far it would go. I hope we see more of the Black Spider soon!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#398475 02/09/11 06:47 AM
Leader
Leader
I'd found it on that same wikipedia list, but I thought since I knew someone else had already researched it out, that it wasn't really for me to spoil. Well done, Kent.

Page 63 of 81 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 80 81

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,055
Posts1,048,825
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
minesurfer
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Copycat Girl
Copycat Girl
Somewhere in New Metropolis. Got lost looking for Legion Headquarters.
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star