Roll Call
1 members (wes connors), 27 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Why love the legion?
by thoth lad - 09/29/24 02:50 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 09/29/24 02:48 PM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by Gaseous Lad - 09/29/24 02:46 PM
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by thoth lad - 09/29/24 01:16 PM
Rejected Ideas for Inane MMB Threads...
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/29/24 12:05 PM
Share more completely random things!
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/29/24 12:05 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/29/24 12:37 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Why love the legion?
Boy Kid Lad #1039561 09/26/24 03:47 PM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
For some reason my mind makes a distinction between the legion with and without Superboy/man. I’m curious if this is the case for anyone else. Honestly, I prefer my legion sans Clark Kent. I really don’t know why. It’s not an issue with him having too many powers because I like Mon-El just fine. Something about him just makes the stories feel different. It feels like it’s Superboy and the legion, not Superboy as a member of the legion.

Boy Kid Lad #1039582 Yesterday at 02:24 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I have a similar feeling, BKL. Part of it may be that I grew up with the Reboot Legion, which had minimal Superboy in it. Part of it may be that I then read the Adventure Era next, which naturally had a lot of Superboy.

I think the Legion Toon did a decent balance between having Superboy as part of the Legion, without making the others just background characters…

Boy Kid Lad #1039590 Yesterday at 10:39 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
That's the issue, isn't it. If Superboy or Superman are in the story, then they are going to be the focus character. Now I am a Super fan but when I read Legion I like them to be the focus, so yes I agree that I prefer the Legion without Superboy/man in them. (Note that this is different to whether he is involved in their origin/early days or not. That one has good and bad associated with it and is a different issue.)

Boy Kid Lad #1039611 2 hours ago
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
My first Legion book was more of a Subs tale, which would get filed under quirky and light.

What clicked were the issues that followed. The sci fi setting and the history that made the characters and their universe rich and diverse with possibility.

The level of threat where the mightiest member could be taken out, leaving the single powered ones to show they were more than just those powers.

My early issues had smaller casts, so the characterisation would have been a plus.

A lot had grittier storylines, which no doubt kept me hooked; Action and Adventure before I knew those were the books the team was once in.

Having a single writer in Levitz, and his writing approach, made for consistent, engaging stories with plenty of subplots to be resolved. At the same time, I was getting the Levitz/Giffen issues which added so much more to the backstory with Giffen's detailed, clean art.

Later I'd appreciate the earnestness of the Adventure days who faced some terrible threats, and have even more appreciation for the history. There, cast members with doubts would be focused on in tales of bravery and facing one's fears. Everyone had something to give. Everyone was important.

I'd eventually also have a real fondness for the whimsical issues of Super Pets.

And without the Legion, I'd not have found the great folks on Legion World.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,057
Posts1,048,865
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP