Roll Call
1 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 17 Murran Spies, and 112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/17/24 02:34 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/17/24 11:09 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/17/24 11:08 AM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/17/24 11:08 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 06/17/24 10:20 AM
Why he was arrested.
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/17/24 03:18 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Issue #49 spoilers
#77281 01/05/09 05:54 PM
Active
Active
I will admit that the middle of this arc could have been stronger and it that would have been the place to add those things. However, I'm still loving this right now, I've always liked Jeckie and even though she's a villain, it beats being a snake.

I do wish the "peasant" thing would be dropped, I like my Princess a bit haughty but only in the sense that she has pride in who she is, the 'peasant' stuff just makes her more one-dimensional than I think she should be.

I know someone theorized that she might be responsible for the Intruder Planet and Destroyers, and I think that would be really cool because it would tie everything together nicely and would stop there from being two unrelated stories running alongside each other.

I like the energy that the threeboot is now exhibiting, these still aren't the legionnaires we know and love, but you know what, I'm ok with that, because I think they are a heck of a lot more likable and fleshed out than anything WaK gave us.

My big concern with the Johnsboot or whatever you call it is that a) they'll retcon too much of the past history to "modernize" the Legion and b) that there will be too much nostalgia or backwards navel gazing. At least the threeboot under Shooter is doing new and interesting thing rather than just saying "oh look, it's Starfinger, but it's NOT, or hey look, it's Jeckie, but she's a SNAKE, or hey, it's Colossal Boy, except he's Micro Lad and he SHRINKS aren't we clever in how we update the Legion" *rolls eyes*

So yeah, these really aren't the Legionnaires, and some of them are way different, but it's still a heck of a lot more interesting than anything else we've seen in the last few years (I exclude Lo3W because we don't know how that ends)

Long Live the Legion!
#77282 01/05/09 10:26 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by insanelad:
Originally posted by reckless:
Well the "original" Jeckie executed Nemesis kid as retribution for his killing Karate Kid, so even that version could be viewed as adopting an "eye for an eye" sense of justice. Here, it's not one life for another, its the UP for Orando. You could argue that the only difference between preboot Jeckie and threeboot Jeckie is the scale of the crime involved and whether she is blaming the right parties.
I've been rereading some back issues recently, including the issues where Projectra is crowned. What struck me was how matter of fact, almost cold she was, and in later issues, it's clear that she was taking her duties very seriously indeed, and almost saw Legion business as an unwanted intrusion.
I'm saying this because the 3Boot Jeckie doesn't really seem all *that* much different - except that she's younger and *hasn't* been a Legionnaire that long, so perhaps the loss of Orando, plus her inexperience, is showing now? Perhaps the original Projectra was simply older, more mature and had more control? Maybe this IS the original Projectra (of a sort), just taken down another route?
This is a really neat insight!

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#77283 01/06/09 11:22 AM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
I enjoyed the issue as well, both story and art, and I too am lamenting that this series is ending in four weeks.

A few observations:

1) I still think Projectra will be the Shakespearean Tragic Hero and offed next issue. I can't imagine her redemption in 22 pages, and as an original creation of Shooter, I think he would tend to take out his own invention.

2) Not a clue as to what Phantom Girl's 'change' would be, except for the previously mentioned case where she can't turn material (either by Projectra's interference or fear of physically bleeding to death).

3) Not certain why Sizzle was not accepted as a Legionnaire over Gazelle as evidenced by her recent Espionage Squad mission use except...

4) Gazelle seems to be the replacement for Timber Wolf. Wolf either buys the farm next issue, or goes away in anguish and reverts to Lone Wolf status.

5) Great to see the Legionnaires dating, having relations outside the clubhouse. I was startin' to get worried about these kids.

6) Way ready for an Atom Girl mini - if Mr. Shooter and Mr. Manipul have the time!

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#77284 01/06/09 12:51 PM
Leader
Leader
I thought Element Lad going on a date when they're supposed to be on red alert pending a planetary invasion was pretty weird timing.

"Hey, would you like to be placed in harm's way Saturday night if you're not doing anything? You would? Great! Pick you up at eight!"

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#77285 01/06/09 04:30 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
You know,

I might actually try that line.

Couldn't hurt. frown

#77286 01/07/09 01:43 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It'll be hard for any death to matter next issue, since this LSH clearly will not continue unchanged in whatever post-L3W LSH we wind up with.

This was one of Shooter's better single issues, but I'd hesitate to call it quite as as good as DnA, as someone has. But it is clearly following a similar vein.

I'm actually interested in how it all wraps up. It was a good penultimate issue, but I can't see everythnig getting neatly resolved in a single issue.

If Jeckie dies, maybe a virtual Jeckie takes her own place, similar to Querl's sandwich. We did see her in L3W, didn't we?

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#77287 01/07/09 05:25 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Yes, but I don't think any of those legionnaires are THESE legionnaires.
sigh

I guess I'm out of step but I pretty much hate this Legion.

I particularly find Projectra's scenes to be ridiculous.

For example, the fight or flight scene:
the man's fear of stepping above his station is NOT a valid example of the fight or flight response, imo.
The fear is a response to a threatening situation where the only responses for survival (either real or perceived) are fight or run for your life.
That whole exchange was silly.

THEN, Jeckie meets up with Tinya, the only friend she has among the Legionnaires.
And if Tinya's family is at all similar to the past incarnations, her mother is an important part of an interplanetary ruling class, not at all a 'peasant'.
And she immediately attacks to KILL!

THEN, she goes to Imra and changes her thoughts, saying shes's more powerful than Imra because her power deals with the primative part of the brain.
That idea makes a good horror movie, or war, but if that part of our brain was the strongest part, we'd still function mostly in that area.
Humans are bad but we're not that bad.

And the final thought was that Tinya FELL DOWN?!

Pullllease!

Wow! I'm glad this run is over in February!

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#77288 01/07/09 09:24 PM
Honorary
Honorary
luv the issue. great to see Sizzle being used in Brainy's mission. the members who comprised Legion Espionage Squad was unorthodox, except Brainiac 5 and Atom Girl, who didnt even do anything significant on the mission. Manapul's pencils were top notch as always, but it seemed like the story got fastforwarded on the last few pages. disappointed Sun Boy didnt get a new uni. despite Tinya's 'accident,' I'm still fedging my bets on Lyle as the dead Legionnaire next issue. my suspicions about the L3W's delay might be that Johns and Perez are trying to align the 3Boot Legion timeline with New Earth Legion's. just throwing the theory out there.

How many times do I have to die?!?
#77289 01/09/09 06:47 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
That's exactly why there is this huge, annoying delay with Lo3W!

DC wants to "surprise" us all with the outcome of Final Crapsis, ooops... I mean Crisis, and tie it all together somehow.
They are forgetting one important detail though in my opinion and that is that the Legion exists in an altogether different timeline. Who cares what happens in the here-and-now? That doesn't affect Legion stories in any way. Save any flashback stories for after DC finally makes up their minds and continue writing fresh, new, in-the-future Legion stories until then.

Simple really.

#77290 01/09/09 06:39 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Originally posted by Ibn al-Nezumi:
luv the issue. great to see Sizzle being used in Brainy's mission. the members who comprised Legion Espionage Squad was unorthodox, except Brainiac 5 and Atom Girl, who didnt even do anything significant on the mission. Manapul's pencils were top notch as always, but it seemed like the story got fastforwarded on the last few pages. disappointed Sun Boy didnt get a new uni. despite Tinya's 'accident,' I'm still fedging my bets on Lyle as the dead Legionnaire next issue. my suspicions about the L3W's delay might be that Johns and Perez are trying to align the 3Boot Legion timeline with New Earth Legion's. just throwing the theory out there.
my bad, freudian slip. I meant hedging, not fedging. gotta stop drinking before posting on the forums.

How many times do I have to die?!?
#77291 01/10/09 03:53 AM
Active
Active
Still doubt that the President is as benign as everyone else on the boards seems to think. Khund War? Shouldn't she have said Dominion? A Freudian slip or a tip that she may be an impostor? The last panel in the scene, Garth looked forlorn, hardly turned on.

The Jeckie/Imra confrontation did ring a little hollow--pretty sure Titan trained Imra in all aspects if the id, ego, and superego. Weird that Jeckie still had Tinya's blood clearly dripping down to the floor in the sickbay--did Brainy not find it? Or did Jeckie deign to mop it up?

Final scene with Garth and Imra, kinda got the vibe that Garth was concerned about a crying Imra, herself, but was embarassed to have been caught. Had it been thnking about the President he should have looked much more smug...

"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63
#77292 01/11/09 12:14 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I think the previous issue really lost me on this storyline, and on what's left of the 3boot. While in the past I've defended Shooter from charges of misogyny or just general sexual neanderthalism, I find it impossible to do so now. When you add up the events of this storyline, you see the destruction of the Legion's leading ladies, no doubt about it, and that's repugnant. And, while one might enjoy the "evil" Projectra story on its own, in the context of the last 20 years of Legion storytelling it's more than I can personally bear. I suppose it does make sense for THIS Projectra--who never really had a chance to develop as a legitimate Legionnaire--to turn out this way. But in the context of the original Jeckie's tragedy and losses, the killing of the SW6 "Shooter" characters, the evil Jan and Sneckie of the Reboot, I just can't take it. I've tried and usually succeeded in reading the 3boot on its own terms, independent of the metatext, but it's gone beyond my tolerance at this point. And one more issue is just not enough to wrap up this story, trying to tie up the virtual destroyers and Projectra in one issue. Even the aspects of the issue's characterization that I liked -- and there were a lot -- seem pale and pointless with 1 issue left to go. Who really cares at this point? The good character stuff in the issue would be fine if this series were continuing, but it's not. Also, while I think the whole virtual bad guy/destroyer thing is wonderful, it shows, along with many aspects of the DnA Reboot run, that good scifi concepts are a necessary but not sufficient condition for the best Legion stories. I do so wish we could see, going forward, a Legion with the scifi inventiveness and character daringness of Shooter and the Legion spirit that Johns's version displays.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#77293 01/12/09 02:02 AM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I feel ya. I'm having trouble motivating here too. I like the darkJeckie story developing and in a year or so (after appropriate development) maybe we could have read a very cool Queen Projectra vs. Mordru story or something.

It sort of feels like finishing a contract, marking a little time until starting the next one. It's hard to invest.

#77294 01/12/09 04:20 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It also occurred to me that Projectra might be the one behind the whole Intruder Planet business. She certainly seems to be incredibly powerful, if she can manipulate the minds of Brainiac 5 and Saturn Girl (not that others haven't been able to do this before).

Phantom Girl may have been on to her; she was trying to alert Brainiac 5 to something a few issues ago, but he brushed her off on his way to his date with "Nura". As a phantom, perhaps Tinya can interact with the intruder avatars in some way. This might explain why Projectra attacked her in a particularly vicious manner. However, I don't understand why she let Tinya live, instead of just changing her memory as she lay in intensive care.

I've really enjoyed the whole virtual attackers idea, although it took a while to get to the punch line; it's hard to get my head around it, though. It's a good change from a long line of robot, hypnotist and magic villains.

Sizzle is coming dangerously close to Comet Queen in character and language, but her power is pretty interesting.

Don't really know what to make of Saturn Girl's version of her entanglement with Jo. Maybe it's a question for ethicists or psychiatrists, but it makes her a more complex and interesting character.

Element Lad on a date in the middle of a crisis was a bit odd but maybe he's just being spacey or stoned. I liked the Chez Jeandeau nod to pretentious restaurants. It's these individual character scenes that have really built up the 3boot universe for me and make me sorry that the series is ending.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#77295 01/16/09 01:33 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Korbal:
Still doubt that the President is as benign as everyone else on the boards seems to think. Khund War? Shouldn't she have said Dominion? A Freudian slip or a tip that she may be an impostor?
In all honesty, Shooter hasn't made me care if she is or not. And we've had enough 'evil presidents' in Legion (among other places) that it would probably be pointless overkill with only one more issue to go.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#77296 01/23/09 08:48 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I finally got my copy today!

I agree with those who liked the way things moved along briskly. There was a lot going on and it took me longer than normal to read. I like that and I do wish the issues previous had that kind of pacing.

Put me on the side of those who feel like it's hard to care for this version of the Legion, since the series is ending and it's likely we won't see them again. I can live without this Legion and don't anticipate going back through these issues to revisit the stories and characters.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,229
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
CatShifter, Dream Girl, Tymann
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star