Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Osama bin Laden Dead (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Osama bin Laden Dead
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
No joke -- it's on CNN right now. Here's a link.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
It's on every station I think...worse than that wedding thing that happened...but at least this one has some meaning.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I am concerned that this will make him a martyr for those radical Islamists. Otherwise, I would say this is nine years too late.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
and what, we are supposed to cheer the death of someone?

i suppose it's more of a symbolic victory ... yet a trial or at least an interrogation would be somewhat useful.

bleh!

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily Sivana   Email Emily Sivana         Edit/Delete Post     
It's too early to evaluate where this could lead.

--------------------
Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb

From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, he was our bestest buddy-- until suddenly he wasn't. I am long over the idea that this country is interested in fomenting peace around the globe rather than war. Oil companies and munitions manufacturers want all war all the time, so that's what we get.

[Roll Eyes]

I see nothing here to celebrate. So many other criminals that have done as bad or worse than Bin Laden will never even see the inside of a courtroom.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I, for one, am not cheering, PB, but it's certainly major news with significant ramifications for the entire world.

I hate to approve of the death of anyone, and I would rather bin Laden have been captured and placed on trial. But, at the same time, I think it's good to have some closure over bin Laden's fate. So long as he was out there, a perception existed that he had gotten away with 9/11. This is no longer the case.

CNN is currently airing footage of people outside the White House chanting "USA! USA!" I've gotta admit, it feels good to see people excited about being Americans again, in this political climate, although, perversely, this excitement comes over a person's death. And yes, there may be repercussions from Islamic radicals (but every time an American sneezes, there are repercussions from fanatics), but I think, for the moment at least, that it's good to feel the victory.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Agree HWW.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, this country was built on violence, so I suppose it's consistent that people would cheer about this.

Luckily my allergies are so bad right now that I don't have to actually exert the effort it would take to hold my nose. [No]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
On a theoretical level, I agree that it is wrong to cheer the death of anyone. But at the same time, there are some people in this world whose death I will not mourn. Osama bin Laden's actions has brought pain and death to countless people.

I also agree that him being brought to trial would have been preferrable to this.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
A trial that would go on for years with the ACLU declaring his rights with millions more dollars spent.
And the terrorists trying to capture people to trade for him, school buses, towns, airplanes of people?

Sorry, I'm glad they got him and we can deal with the reprecussions as they come.

And as far as I can tell, ALL nations on this Earth have violence in their backgrounds.
The Earth is blood soaked.

For me, it's a difference between the blood of innocents or the blood of psycopathic murderes.
No contest.

However, I can't cheer the death of others.

[ May 02, 2011, 07:37 AM: Message edited by: Candlelight ]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
cleome, America was no more built on violence than any other country in the world.

Bin Laden was a friend of America before he attacked it, and an enemy after he attacked it. Is that such a hypocritical manner in which to define a relationship? The one who turned around was him, not the USA.

Let his death stop terrorists from using him as an inspiration that one can attack America and not get caught. The USA is no paper tiger. There are teeth.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ram Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ram Boy   Email Ram Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I remember crying as I watched the horrifying spectacle of innocent people jumping to their deaths on 9/11. Bin Laden deserved his fate. I think a trial would have been fairly pointless considering he had already (proudly) taken credit for his actions. Furthermore, besides providing him with an opportunity to spew his hate and intolerance, it would have just stretched out the suffering of all those families who have been patiently waiting for justice.

Still, I won't be cheering, and I definitely won't be acting as if we just won some sort of hellish soccer match.

Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

quote:
Originally posted by Chaim Mattis Keller:
cleome, America was no more built on violence than any other country in the world.

"The other guy does it, too!" is not my idea of an excuse.

quote:
Bin Laden was a friend of America before he attacked it, and an enemy after he attacked it. Is that such a hypocritical manner in which to define a relationship? The one who turned around was him, not the USA.

The American "leadership" who cultivated a relationship with the man knew all along what he was. So, yes, it is hypocritical. It happens over and over again.

quote:
Let his death stop terrorists from using him as an inspiration that one can attack America and not get caught. The USA is no paper tiger. There are teeth.

His death stops nothing, CMK. The war machine rolls on. There will be more Bin Ladens and more U.S. dollars and lives thrown away cultivating them.

And I'm really not into patriotic lectures about "tigers" and whatnot. Last I heard, a tiger has enough common sense to not devour its own young. A tiger can't raze a whole community or a whole country. Our foreign policy, OTOH, sends misery all around the world and bankrupts this country in the process. It uses my money to foment death and perpetual warfare. I don't believe that it's our place to play world policeman so the power elite can continue to get rich on our backs. I see no reason at all to be happy about this.

Bin Laden was a symptom, but the disease isn't stopped just because he's gone.

--------------------

Klar Ken T5477
The Future Superman of 2965

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klar Ken T5477   Email Klar Ken T5477         Edit/Delete Post     
Just one more thing for the birthers to decry as a fraud. "Where is the body?" "The photos were faked", etc. etc.

The denials have already begun.

--------------------
"So different from the Original Superman of Krypton!"

Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.