Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » "The Anime Thread" Thread (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: "The Anime Thread" Thread
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I never really hear a lot of talk about anime and manga on this website. That I can remember, at least.

I want to know what you guys think of japanese animation and comics, if you've ever watched or read any and what kind interests you.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
That covers a lot of ground.

I like a lot of it, and about the only things I won't try anymore are the real hardcore titles like LA Blue Girl or Legend of the Overfiend.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
What was the first one you ever saw?

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Star Blazers, but I didn't know it was "anime".

The first series I saw once I knew a little more about anime was 3X3 Eyes. It made me a fan.

How about yourself?

--------------------

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Speed Racer and Voltron, and then Sailor Moon when it first aired on Toonami. Needless to say I'm a big Sailor Moon fan.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Speed Racer ran about the same time as Star Blazers in my neck of the woods. They were both pretty intense shows compared to most of the kiddie fare at the time.

When Sailor Moon came over, it ran at some ridiculously early hour. No way was it ever going to reach an audience that way.

--------------------

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

I only watched Speed Racer and Voltron because the only channels I "knew" back then was Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon, and at the time those two played it was either them or Are You Afraid of the Dark?, which, me being very little, scared me.

I've seen both the dub and the original Japanese version of Sailor Moon, and I've bought most of the manga. They never dubbed the final season, Sailor Stars, because three of the new heroines, the Sailor Starlights, masqueraded as men. They literally were teenage boys when they didn't transform. In the manga they just dressed like boys to hide their identities.

There was two villains on that show who were both homosexual males in the original anime. Zoisite of the Dark Kingdom during the first season, and FishEye of the Amazon Trio, part of the Dead Moon Circus in season four. Zoisite was in an open relationship with another villain, Kunzite, and FishEye would usually target men and dress like a woman (He really could pass for one). In the dubbed version, the two were both turned into women because they were effeminate.

There was one episode, however, where FishEye was able to pass off as a cross-dressing male when his target was a fashion designer (who might have been gay himself, it was never stated). There was a scene where he ripped off his shirt to reveal his male chest. In the dub, they cut that scene out, but on the uncut videos and DVDs they kept it, only "she" claimed she wasn't like other "women".

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Of course, all of the anime that I like that I can think of right now would be...

Sailor Moon, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Gundam Wing, Tenchi Muyo, Tenchi Universe, Tenchi in Tokyo, Miyuki-Chan in Wonderland, Bubblegum Crisis, Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoku, Ranma 1/2, Blue Seed, Devil Hunter Yohko, Kimagure Orange Road, Fullmetal Alchemist, Sukeban Deka, G Gundam, the BlackJack OVA, Dirty Pair, Golden Boy

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
Cartoons from Japan! My first...

8TH MAN

We got our first-ever COLOR tv with UHF channels on Valentine's Day, 1966. Imagine, doubling the number of channels, and suddenly, SOME of the shows were in color. At 5 PM, Philly's Channel 17 was running this cool show that was both intense AND funny (often at the same time), about a private eye who'd been MURDERED, and his memories transferred into a ROBOT body. He could also change his appearance (via hologram? I was never sure of the technique) and could masquerade as his former human self. The only people who knew his secret were Police Chief Fumblethumbs (you can tell by that name the show had a sense of humor) and his creator, Professor Genius.

The show VANISHED from the airwaves around here when B&W shows fell out of favor around 1970... a real tragedy. 2 decades later, I got ahold of about 10 episodes via my video store, and was stunned that it was EVERY BIT AS GOOD as I remembered it! That combo of film noir intensity and slapstick comedy side-by-side really made a great balance.

What I still don't get is the opening and closing credits, done in a completely different animation style than the rest of the show! I guess some US studio must have done them. It tends to be jarring, and sometimes I just wanna fast-forward over them to get to the stories.

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

I think my dad remembers Gigantor and Astro Boy. I once recorded an episode of Gigantor on the DVR for him one Christmas. But he never watched it.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Kid Charlemagne
Frisky Perchlorate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Charlemagne   Email Kid Charlemagne         Edit/Delete Post     
I've only watched a few anime so far, but my favorites are: Lucky Star, Azumanga Daioh, K-On, Karin, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Strawberry Panic.

Also the original OVA version of Today In Class 5-2. I haven't seen the later version yet.

--------------------
If your klordny lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical attention.

From: Arkansas Province, Baaldur | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

I've seen a couple of episodes of Lucky Star, about the beginning of the first episode of Azumanga Daioh, but that's it.

I forgot to list Project A-Ko and Gun Smith Cats.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Kid Charlemagne
Frisky Perchlorate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Charlemagne   Email Kid Charlemagne         Edit/Delete Post     
I forgot Love Hina.

--------------------
If your klordny lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical attention.

From: Arkansas Province, Baaldur | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

I borrowed the first volume of that from the library but never read it.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I used to really like the Astro Boy, Speed Racer and Kimba the White Lion cartoons when I was young.

Haven't gotten into much anime since I've gotten older but I did think the few episodes I saw of Neon Genesis Evangelion were really impressive and have it on my To Do List to watch that whole series in order one day.

Movies-wise, I think the only one I've seen is Spirited Away and though I did like it, I wouldn't say I'm in a rush to see many more.

I never read the comics.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.