Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Return of the King opens on Wednesday! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Return of the King opens on Wednesday!
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
Not only does it open (finally!) this week, but from what the critics are saying, it's the best movie of the year and a staggering cinematic triumph.

Return of the King reviews!

Right now, it has a metascore of 100 at www.metacritic.com (one of my very favorite websites.)

I remember watching the old Rankin-Bass Return of the King cartoon back when I was about 10... and then seeing the old Ralph Bakshi cartoon movie shortly after that. I was enthralled! It just seemed like such an amazing world.

Later on, my first semester in college, I read the books for the first time, and I knew that I had found a work of literature that spoke to me like few others have ever done. The good in these books is SO good... and the bad is SO bad... sometimes, living in a world of grey, we need that clarity to help us through life.

Anyway, I've been waiting for these movies all my life, it seems. Those of you who chat on AIM weekly know that I'm going to be at the Lord of the Rings special event all day Tuesday... TRILOGY Tuesday, we're calling it... watching the extended versions of Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers in all their cinematic visual amd aural splendor, and then watching Return of the King.

I expect to be more emotional on Tuesday than I have been any day since my wedding in August. What's crazy is how much I really have it bad for this movie. I spent a lot of time with Frodo and Sam in my dreams last night... and it just hit me when I woke up how much I love this stuff, and how grateful I am to Peter Jackson and co. for making it a reality.

[ December 14, 2003, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: Kid Prime ]

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Have a *great* time on Super-Tuesday! From the early reviews, it seems like this third film totally lives up to the anticipation -- can't wait to see it!
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
THE LABRADORIAN
THE LEGIONS' GREATEST HERO

Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE LABRADORIAN           Edit/Delete Post     
i am going thursday at 5pm
i wanted to see the trilogy, with the special editions, until i saw the price.
50 fucking dollars, i dont think so, i will sit at home wednesday night and watch LOTR and TT extended editions at home for free and then go to the movie the next day.
50 dollars is a JOKE!! i love the movies, but not that much, that works out to roughly 17 dollars a flick, FLICK THAT!!

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Didn't your theater offer specials with that ticket price Lab? Here you got all day pizza, drinks and popcorn and a gift card to one of the shops. Made the deal a lot better. Still couldn't get it though as they sold out 2 minutes after the box office opened.

Have a great day Jeff. We'll be thinking about you. Probably won't go myself until the crowds die down a little.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by LABRADORIAN:
i am going thursday at 5pm
i wanted to see the trilogy, with the special editions, until i saw the price.
50 fucking dollars, i dont think so, i will sit at home wednesday night and watch LOTR and TT extended editions at home for free and then go to the movie the next day.
50 dollars is a JOKE!! i love the movies, but not that much, that works out to roughly 17 dollars a flick, FLICK THAT!!

Lab, it was 35 dollars here. Still a little bit more than what you would pay for a regular ticket, but not much.

--------------------

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
open's in the UK on the same day !!! for a change !!!

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by the boy with UltraPowers:
open's in the UK on the same day !!! for a change !!!

Matthew.

and that's means i get to see it before all of you guy's in the US ...... [devil] !!!

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

...... although !!!

i don't actually have plans to go see it on Wednesday !!!

i'll probably wait till the weekend !!!

Matthew.

Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
Dude! You're actually going to Trilogy Tuesday? With what you could get for those tickets on ebay , you could fly to England and see it with Matt!

Naw, seriously, I wish I was going. It's going to be a blast. Now I'll have to wait til one of the weekends the hubby is home (away on business during the week for the rest of the month) to catch RotK.

Eric

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'll catch it this weekend, I'm sure. I'm not much for fighting off crowds as dense as orcs.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
KP, I hear you about being emotional when reading these books, I'm the same way. Since I read them in seventh grade, I've tried to read them every two or three years since, and I can't get through part six without shedding a few tears for Sam and Frodo! I can't wait to see the Return of the King!

I'll be thinking about you on Tuesday, I hope you have a great time!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
I can empathize with everyone feeling anticipation and excitement about "The Return of the King," even though I never was a Tolkien reader. I'm glad you have such a mega-event to draw you into the cinema. Do take my word for it -- many of us would like to have a similar cause for excitement.

I saw "The Fellowship of the Ring" and was highly entertained, but not last year's epic. Looking back, I think it's a foible entirely unrelated to the movies as such that is pushing me away: the difficulty, as I inch toward that mythical "middle age," of sitting for three hours or more at any movie. (And they've sadly abandoned the practice of an intermission, by and large.)

The sheer limits of the human organism, that's really it. It's not only one's bladder, it's also the difficulty of keeping attention focused on the screen without some sheer break for the eyes. And a break for the mind's eye, to pause and absorb what has happened. I've long had the same difficulty with plays, but again, it's been mitigated by having "acts" as subdivisions.

Not at all limited to the preferable scope of the big screen, either. I've passed on the two three-hour pieces of HBO's "Angels in America" this past week for the same reason -- and since I have neither TiVo to "pause" it nor VHS blanks long enough to tape it. (Standard Play only, I can't stand to re-play it otherwise.) I'll take it in via the one-hour-at-a-sitting version.

As for the Tolkien epic, I'm going to just wait for two developments:

~ The "TRotK" extended-footage-within-it version coming out on DVD, about a year from now. (I have my own issues with Peter Jackson holding so much detail back from the cinema, even with the economics of it all, but that's another matter.)

~ Finding a local Tolkien fan who's willing to show some newbies through this epic -- all three parts on extended DVD -- on a series of nights. With keeping the characters and settings straight for me, having a bathroom readily at hand, and allowing us to bring modern versions of mead to toast Frodo's successes and Ian McKellen's acting.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
Trilogy Tuesday: TOMORROW!

Have a blast, Jeff! [Cool]

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by STU:
Trilogy Tuesday: TOMORROW!

Have a blast, Jeff! [Cool]

Woo Hoo, Me!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah Jeffy. Have fun tomorrow.

I'll be thinking about you while I'm stuck behind my desk all day. [Frown]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.