Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » City of Heroes: Your Chance to be a Legionnaire - Part 2 (Page 94)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 129 pages: 1  2  3  ...  91  92  93  94  95  96  97  ...  127  128  129   
Author Topic: City of Heroes: Your Chance to be a Legionnaire - Part 2
Stratum
Booster Club President

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stratum           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm holding off making a toon on Pinnacle until Issue 5 comes out.

Jamie

From: Wood River, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Legion nights on Virtue are on Thursday's and, yep! I'll be on!

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stratum
Booster Club President

Then I guess it's a good thing I never made that toon on Pinnacle....<G>

Jamie

From: Wood River, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

We have a Legion SG on Pinnacle also [Big Grin]

--------------------

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

And Infinity and Protector [Big Grin]

--------------------

Vee
Still smoooooth!

quote:
Originally posted by LyleLyle:
There's been talk about the nature of bases on the boards since E3. I believe the official word is that the question of if you would have to own CoV to get bases in CoH is that its all TBA. They're not commiting to one option or another until they get closer to the completed project. It could end up being a part of CoH issue 6.

As for base raids, what's been said so far is that your SG will have to do a special Task Force to obtain an item of power in order to become eligible to be raided. You can also set an availability schedule for raids so that you don't feel like you need to be on 24/7 to protect your base.

I like the ideas there, so far, but there aren't enough details to fully judge. It does sound like they're trying to bring PVP to the game in a way that doesn't hurt its casual-friendly nature.

I'm not sure if bases will have a purpose outside of PVP, though the reports from E3 said that they were very fun to build but were very expensive... an influence sink.

Found this on the Forums:

Bases ? Heroic Headquarters and Villainous Lairs
David 'Zeb' Cook (Lord_Recluse) talks bases 5/26/05:

Quote:
Destroid: Will the design of the bases vary enough to offer different challenges from base to base?
DC: Yes. Every base can be unique. Players will be able to lay out the room. There are defenses and devices that can be placed and used. You can make a sewer base, or a high tech base, even individual rooms can be unique; all sorts of looks.

Destroid: Supergroup base raids still in?
DC: Oh yes. Once you get a base built you can, at your option, become involved in base raids. If you want a base that no one raids, that is entirely possible. If you choose to, you can take part in base raids. Other people will need to send you a notification that they intend to raid at a certain time. We want base raids to be an event, and that requires people to be there. If your group doesn?t show, then it isn?t much of an event; we have to make Supergroups somewhat responsible for themselves.

How does one decide to make one's base raidable? It seems that earning 'Trophies' or 'Items of Power' from new Hero or Villain supergroup Task Force Trials will flag your base as being raidable. Of course, stealing one from another supergroup's base will flag you as well. Reports from E3 indicated that having an 'Item of Power'/'Trophy' would force a supergroup to set a short raiding time window for their base. Multiple 'Items of Power'/'Trophies' would cause that raid window to lengthen.

Something else to chew on for base raids:
Quote:
With the items of power in SG bases, won't Phase Shift make it a bit too easy, once the force fields are destroyed?
Who said you could carry an Item of Power with Phase Shift on?

Who said there weren't base defenses to counter Phase Shift? {Statesman 5/23/05}

A few other factoids about bases that came prior and during E3:

* Bases are instanced zones accessible via Portal Corp transport points around the cities.
* Bases are designed by one designated supergroup officer: the Architect
* Bases are rented space ? details like ?How much?? and ?How often?? will be worked out in CoV beta.
* Base styles: most mission tilesets and props from CoH were available for the E3 demo, plus customized lighting.
* Base features: Hospital, Great Hall, Rooms/Corridoors, Vault, Transportation (for vehicles in the future), and Library & Lab (for Skills in the future) ? with all the decorative and usable objects applicable for each, including various modes of base defense (turrets, pain/sleep crystals. Etc.)

The devs are still being cagey about when or if supergroups will be able to pool Influence, Inspirations, and Enhancements. Perhaps because of the Hammidon Enhancement issue still up in tha air? We'll have to wait and see.

Pics and dvcam footage of the base designer program in action at E3 can be found scattered in forums threads.

--------------------

Stratum
Booster Club President

Zeb Cook is Lord Recluse? Cool.

Jamie

Vee
Still smoooooth!

He's the lead developer for CoV. I don't know much about him, but it sounds as if he is a pretty big name in the gaming industry.

Sounds like YOU know who he is though [Big Grin]

--------------------

LyleLyle
hmmmm....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyleLyle   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
As I understand it Zeb Cook was a part on the team on Planescape: Torment. That's an RPG that (deservedly, IMO) is frequently acclaimed as one of the most intellegent games with a smartly complex story.

There's a storm going on at the boards because it was mentioned at GenCon that bases were going to be bought with "Reputation" or something like that, which is partly based on being in SG mode. That sounds like an incrediby bad idea but I get the feeling that, overall, they want SGs to have their own money different from the influence individuals get.

Lord Recluse semi-confirmed but didn't offer any explanations.

--------------------
Lyle's part-time blogging

Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

The following article was posted on IGN yesterday. It categorically states that Issue 5 will go live "tomorrow" (meaning today, Wednesday 8/24)

See for yourself.

IGN » Games » PC Games » Previews
City of Heroes (PC)

City of Heroes, Issue 5- The Forest of Dread
We get a look at tomorrow's big update to the super powered MMO.
by Dan Adams

August 23, 2005 - As any former or continuing players are probably aware, developer Cryptic Studios is serious about continuing to push big updates through into City of Heroes as long as the game has legs. So far, it's legs look to be running strong so it's no real surprise that another update will be hitting the game soon? as in "tomorrow" soon. We had a chance to check out The Forest of Dread update recently in order to get a look at the new zone, powers sets, villains, and more.

It seems that all big updates come with at least one new zone, as is the case with The Forest of Dread. Croatoa is a level 25-35 zone based on real world mythology. It's a mysterious region often linked to powerful magical forces and deadly creatures. I suppose it's no real surprise that the new villain types in the area should be based around magic and fairie. Both new villain types, The Cabal of Witches and Red Caps, are everywhere inside the Coatoa area causing trouble.

The cool thing about them is that they actually aren't exactly friendly with each other either. In fact, one could say that they have a strong distaste called hate for each other. One of the new things for City of Heroes is this faction system for NPCs. Different groups of NPCs now have faction with each other meaning that instead of just seeing those mock fights between a couple of villain groups, you'll see them wailing on and killing each other with regularity. Croatoa will be house to plenty of infighting that heroes can avoid or pop in on should they choose. Sometimes it's probably best to sit back and enjoy the action long enough to be able to sweep in and clear out and area to proceed farther with a quest.

Both the Cabal of Witches and Red Caps are integral to the story arc inside the new zone. Obviously, Cryptic doesn't want to ruin the fun, but anyone entering the area will soon find that there's more to the Cabal than most people think. Each of the sides also has their own range of attacks and abilities. Most of the witches show were throwing a lot of lightning type spells around while the Red Caps have the new bow powers as well as some magic and melee abilities. In fact, the Red Caps actually have a couple of nifty maneuvers all to themselves that players are sure to enjoy the first time they see them.

<http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/644/644567/city-of-heroes-20050823071310574.jpg> City of Heroes - The Forest of Dread
Everything you need to see in video form!
Watch the Video!

One of the more spectacular parts of the demo showed off a couple of the mega monsters in the area: one for each of the new villain factions. They're actually easy to pick out in the video included today with this preview as they're the huge Jack-o'-lantern and giant dude carrying the rotting head that barfs. Battling these titanic wonders by yourself probably isn't the smartest idea. We had the luxury of observing one bravely stupid soul battling the titans on his own and the fight didn't go his way?.

Also found in the zone are a university, a lake where people can get a glimpse of the CoH version of Nessie (which will grant those that see it several times a new badge), and a tribute to War Witch, one of the fallen heroes of Paragon City.

Aside from the new zone, The Forest of Dread also introduces new power sets for those hoping for new weapons against evil. They're Archery (Defenders and Blasters), Trick Arrows (Defenders and Controllers), Sonic Blast (Blasters and Defenders), and Sonic Debuff (Defenders and Controllers). The archery sets obviously mean your character will break out a bow and arrows much like melee fighters do for swords and axes. There are some really neat looking tricks for these new powers and players will undoubtedly have fun checking out how different they make the content. For a full list of the powers and their descriptions, check out the City of Heroes official website.

Look for that update to hit the game tomorrow! In the meantime, remember to check out the video showing off the new powers and enemies of The Forest of Dread.

--------------------

Vee
Still smoooooth!

Well, there was no patch awaiting me when I logged on and there are no new power sets avaialable (I checked [Big Grin] ) so Issue 5 did not go live as IGN stated it would.

Vee's guess? NEXT Thursday so everyone can run around trying everything out over the long Labor Day weekend.

--------------------

Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Well this is what it states now on IGN:

quote:
August 23, 2005 - As any former or continuing players are probably aware, developer Cryptic Studios is serious about continuing to push big updates through into City of Heroes as long as the game has legs. So far, it's legs look to be running strong so it's no real surprise that another update will be hitting the game soon… as in "next week" soon. We had a chance to check out The Forest of Dread update recently in order to get a look at the new zone, powers sets, villains, and more.
And the link to the article states something like "We take a look at next week's big update".

Web journalism is the Records Department of the Ministry of Truth. Maybe a couple of decades late but the same thing.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Wow! They changed it for "tomorrow" to "next week"! Sneaky of them to not admit the mistake and make a correction.

--------------------

Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
Figures.

I don't know what the sprock is going on, but
I logged off tonight to change from one toon to
another, and haven't been able to get back on
since then.

I5 will probably go live tomorrow and i wont
be able to get on..

[Frown]

Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
Okay. For some mysterious reason, COH started
working right when I was getting ready for bed,
so let I5 rip! [Big Grin]

This topic comprises 129 pages: 1  2  3  ...  91  92  93  94  95  96  97  ...  127  128  129   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.