Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you WATCHING? (Page 9)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  78  79  80   
Author Topic: So what are you WATCHING?
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah. Maybe it'll even be that rare animal: a sequel that's better than the original.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Just saw the first two episodes of Cane starring Jimmy Smits. It has one of my favorite actors in it...Nestor Carbonell.

Story about a Cuban-American family running a sugar/rum business in southeast FL. Right up my alley. Nice to hear some authentic cuban accents.

It has lots of good internal politics. Many beautiful people. Speaking of internal politics and beauty...Polly Walker is in it (Rome).

Cane at CBS

CBS at 10pm every Tuesday night!

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I somehow overlooked Cane. I'll watch the next episode and see if I like it.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Cane was very...Godfather. They are not mobsters but they certainly know how to...protect the family.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Just saw the last episode of the Bronx is Burning. I admit...I got teary eyed. [Frown]
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Saw Key Largo with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall. eh. Atleast Lauren was looking beautiful.

Saw Mambo Kings as well this weekend. It was pretty good. Maybe the best acting job I've seen Antonio Banderas do. The movie is based on a pulitzer prize winning novel. I am guessing the book is better. It wasn't bad. I was hoping for more. It tells the story of two cuban brothers who move to NYC in the 1950s (golden age of big bands & mambo, etc). They have good times and bad times. Great soundtrack though.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Jorg, for the best of the Bogey/Becall movies, I reccomend "The Big Sleep". Bogey is my favorite actor of all time, and I love Becall too (absolutely stunning).
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Cobalt, cool. I'm a fan of film noir especially the Maltest Falcon. Though I admit...I haven't seen many noir films. I've heard The Big Sleep is good and will check it out. thanks.
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Tonight on CBS at 10pm I believe...CANE! Try to check it out! It's not great but it's pretty good.
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I'd agree with The Big Sleep as the best of Bogey/Bacall movies (despite the byzantine plot). I actually like Key Largo quite a bit, except for the whole boat scene at the end (which feels way too "Hollywood"). But Lionel Barrymore facing off with Edward G. Robinson is pretty awesome.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

On a related note, I watched Murder, My Sweet the other day. It's an adaptation of Chandler's Farewell My Lovely, only with a much less convincing Phillip Marlowe than Bogey is in The Big Sleep.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I kind of like Key Largo too, though I have to agree that there are some parts that you have to take with a grain of salt. You're right on Eryk about Lionel Barrymore vs. Edward G. Robinson. Barrymore's performance ages like fine wine for me, as I've gotten older.

The Big Sleep is probably my favorite noir movie of all time besides the Maltese Falcon. Bogey's performance and the dialogue itself are worth watching and rewatching over and over again. Its not as tight or perfect as the Maltese Falcon but its one of those great Bogey films where you find yourself kind of acting like him during the rest of the night afterwards.

I first became obssessed with Bogey and film noir when I was about 12 years old after Casablanca changed everything about the way I watch movies and then my Mom rented me the Maltese Falcon. I've never seen Murder, My Sweet however...I may have to soon...

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

I became a fan of film noir when I saw the Maltese Falcon about 10 years ago. I saw Casablanca recently (3 years ago?) and was impressed. Always thought it was a chick flick. [Wink]

Anybody read the detective stories with Sam Spade or Phillip Marlowe?

I also saw The Third Man recently. I thought it was pretty good. Is that considered noir? I do atleast.

Have you guys seen Kiss Me Deadly? (Mike Hammer)

Eryk Davis Ester

I've heard really good things about The Third Man, but I've never actually watched it. Casablanca is pretty close to the top of my favorite movies ever.

I've come close several times to binge reading Chandler and Hammett's books, but haven't taken the plunge.

Eryk Davis Ester

I watched the movie version of A Picture of Dorian Gray (with Donna Reed)yesterday!
  This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  78  79  80   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.