Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you READING? (Page 9)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: So what are you READING?
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevis   Email Bevis         Edit/Delete Post     
Nope, not yet, although Chris keeps meaning to go and buy it. I'm kinda wary of it simply because I like the end of Rosemary's Baby so much that i sort of don't want to know what might happen next.

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyleLyle
hmmmm....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyleLyle   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by STU:
quote:
Originally posted by LyleLyle:
I'm rereading "The Slippery Slope" since the next Series of Unfortunate Events book came out a week ago.

Are you looking forward to the live-action movie?
I'm really excited about this. The trailer looks great and managed to convince me of the casting choices, which I had some hesitation over (I needed to get my mental images of Patric Stewart as Count Olaf and Maggie Smith as Aunt Josephine out of my head). I dunno if I can get over it if more movies happen and anyone aside from Parker Posey is cast as Esme Squalor.

I've got Casper on my Netflix list just to remind me what the director can do with a franchise film.

quote:
Originally posted by Deathstroke Lad:
Ira Levin wrote a sequel to 'Rosemary's Baby' called 'Son of Rosemary'. Have you read it Bevis? Also ABC is making a mini-series based on both novels.

I was initially interested in this book but I saw some really bad reviews... this was the book that came out within the last ten years or so, long after the original, right?

There was also a made-for-TV sequel where Patty Duke took over the role of Rosemary, I tried watching it but couldn't make it past the first 30 minutes.

Anyway, I think I'd be interested in the new miniseries, see a contemporary translation of the material.

[ October 06, 2004, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: LyleLyle ]

--------------------
Lyle's part-time blogging

Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Son of Rosemary was release in 1998 I think, so it is pretty recent.

And I remember the TV sequel, 'Look What's Happened to Rosemary's Baby'. I don't remember much but do recall that Adrian was adopted by a brothel madam. Should have known then that the movie would go downhill from there.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
From the "Why Would I Ever Buy This Book? Department"... at the Amazon site, a customer's review of a fantasy book "Kushiel's Dart" - the funny thing was this reviewer was generally favourable to the book.

There were segments of boredom, the first 250 pages is a real drag, I had to push myself through these pages in hopes the book would get better, fortunately it did.

The last three hundred pages could have been told within the span of 100-150 really. Pages 600-900 was a forced read.

I guess it got better after page 900...

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyleLyle
hmmmm....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyleLyle   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
From the "Why Would I Ever Buy This Book? Department"... at the Amazon site, a customer's review of a fantasy book "Kushiel's Dart" - the funny thing was this reviewer was generally favourable to the book.

There were segments of boredom, the first 250 pages is a real drag, I had to push myself through these pages in hopes the book would get better, fortunately it did.

The last three hundred pages could have been told within the span of 100-150 really. Pages 600-900 was a forced read.

I guess it got better after page 900...

Oy, reminds me of the comics reviews that say "This issue was even worse than the last. Joe Blackink's take on the Superteam Extravaganza is the worst take on the Superteam Extravaganza ever written. This series has become just painful to read and I bet the next issue will manage to be even worse."

[ October 07, 2004, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: LyleLyle ]

--------------------
Lyle's part-time blogging

Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
I picked up Philip Roth's "The Plot Against America," an alternate history where Charles Lindbergh becomes president of the U.S. and makes a pact with Hitler. This is going to the top of my reading list. I'm starting it today.
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Picked up a paperback copy of The Gunslinger, Dark Tower 1. Decided I couldn't wait for my hardback to show up. So far, not too bad and I've gotten a lot farther along than the first time I tried to read it.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
"Bunnicula" I read every once in a while. A cat and dog team try to stop the reign of a vampire bunny. Everyone knows how- pound a steak through his heart! [Big Grin]
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
"Bunnicula" I read every once in a while. A cat and dog team try to stop the reign of a vampire bunny. Everyone knows how- pound a steak through his heart! [Big Grin]

I remember that book! Man, i have not thought about it in years.....
From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
Scott,

I read Son of Rosemary, and to tell you the
truth, I think that "Look What Happened to
Rosemary's Baby" was distinctly superior to
that, which should give you an idea of what
the book was like ...

Lately I've been reading the Science Fiction
Bookclub Omnibus edition of Madeline L'Engle's
"Wrinkle in Time" series.

When it gets here, I'll be reading Stephen R.
Donaldson's third Land trilogy...

CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
RTVU2, I'm on this kids' book craze right now. Don't ask me why. After Bunnicula, I've got the Chronicles of Narnia, then The City of Gold and Lead on the list. They are all great books; probably why I'm such a reader today.
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hey CJ, love the Narnia books too. Whenever I want to go lighter I go Harry Potter.
From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
Narnia kicks ass. Can't wait for the movie!!!

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Movie? Whachou talking 'bout Kippers?

They doing all 7 books? The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe? Details dagnabbit.

Lightning Lad
Founder

The best place for info is http://www.narniaweb.com/ since they have an up-to-date cast list and news. The movie started filming in New Zealand in June and, I believe, is expected to be ready for release the end (maybe Christmas) of next year.

-

[ October 13, 2004, 06:24 AM: Message edited by: Lightning Lad ]

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.