Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you READING? (Page 81)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  78  79  80  81  82  83  84  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: So what are you READING?
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I also disliked The Old Curiosity Shop, which just seemed like a complete mess to me.

I'd probably go with David Copperfield as his single best work, with Our Mutual Friend a close second. I also found Dombey and Son really powerful for a lesser known work, and also found Barnaby Rudge a nice surprise for one of his least known works.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I am sadly a speed reader myself. I fly through trades. It's horrible. and Expensive. How does one learn to 'slow down'?.

Which is why I love the Wheel of Time series LOL!! 1000 pages takes me a while. (This series is in all honesty by far my favorite )

I think it's really funny when everyone, even my waitress the other day (when i had it next to me at my table) say they make it to like book 8 and give up !!!

gah!! books 12 and 13 have been two of the best of the entire series !!! I've read them twice. [Big Grin]

(I thought ten was allright and i think book 6 or 8 has the battle of dumais wells which is one of the best sequences of the entire series. IMO) Granted they do chug along for quite soem time, several books, (and maybe if it wasn't one of the only things i could get that i wanted to read when i was working in hong kong i might not have made it through)

... but i'm so glad i hung in there.

I can not wait for 14, and the release date keeps getting pushed back.

I'm currently in the middle of The fellowship of the rings, I am at the moment where they meet Aragorn. It's taken me quite some time to get here and I feel a bit embarassed to say I've never read the Tolkien books but i'm an avid fantasy reader!

I'm also half way through Just Kids, which i am savoring.

I started the Titus Groan series ... and it may be good, not sure yet but it makes The Wheel of Time Series look like it races along ... from what i've read so far. (it's slow and extremely descriptive IMHO). I was a little disappointed because the reviews are so kind, and the people at the book store exclaimed that i was going to love it. I'll have to dig it out one day and give it another go.

[shrug]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
btw It's so nice to hear that other people read like crazy.

[Hug] Legion World.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by dedman:

quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
Just curious, but how many books do you all read in a week?

I usually only read in bed these days, so a 600 page novel will take me around a month to a month and a half to finish.
Of course some books I just can`t put down. The last Wheel of Time novel I read in 1 day

Good to meet a fellow WOT fan, deddy. Gotta say I'm impressed - that's about a thousand pages in one day!

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:

Which is why I love the Wheel of Time series LOL!! 1000 pages takes me a while. (This series is in all honesty by far my favorite )

I think it's really funny when everyone, even my waitress the other day (when i had it next to me at my table) say they make it to like book 8 and give up !!!

gah!! books 12 and 13 have been two of the best of the entire series !!! I've read them twice. [Big Grin]

(I thought ten was allright and i think book 6 or 8 has the battle of dumais wells which is one of the best sequences of the entire series. IMO) Granted they do chug along for quite soem time, several books, (and maybe if it wasn't one of the only things i could get that i wanted to read when i was working in hong kong i might not have made it through)

... but i'm so glad i hung in there.

I can not wait for 14, and the release date keeps getting pushed back.

And another fan! I gotta agree with ya Peebz - 11 to 13 were awesome, and almost worth the slowing down in books 8 and 10.

Book 6, Dumai's Wells, was epic, but one of my favorite battles still has to be the Cleansing in Book 9. But 11-13 are my fave books because so much happens in them.

Can't wait for 14 - I'll probably get the hardcover when it comes out, because I'll go nuts waiting for the paperback.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
I just finished the Foundation trilogy. The first half of the third book (dealing with the defeat of the Mule) seemed to drag a bit, but the last half (dealing with the charming character Arkady) was really great! Arkady reminded me of Heinlein's Podkayne.

Anyway, I am currently reading Merlin's Bones by Saberhagen.

From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
And another fan! I gotta agree with ya Peebz - 11 to 13 were awesome, and almost worth the slowing down in books 8 and 10.

Book 6, Dumai's Wells, was epic, but one of my favorite battles still has to be the Cleansing in Book 9. But 11-13 are my fave books because so much happens in them.

Can't wait for 14 - I'll probably get the hardcover when it comes out, because I'll go nuts waiting for the paperback.[/QB]

ahhh I'm such a fool, I was actually thinking of the CLEANSING battle in fact!!

The Dumais Wells battle is also epic but I was thinking of the Cleansing Battle ... that was when I was exciting they were going to get sh%^ done!

I also enjoyed Birgitte's daring rescue of Elayne ... even thought it was only like one chapter long.

Eryk Davis Ester

Lesson learned from Agatha Christie novels:

Usually, if there is a young lady with two potential romantic interests, the love triangle will resolve itself by one of the young men turning out to be a murderer.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

very much like real life.
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
Peebs, seeing as you are a fan of epic fantasy (ugg, how i hate that term) have you read the Malazan series by Steven Erikson? 10 massive novels and the series is complete.

And in other news, the kindle my wife ordered me for my birthday has finally arrived. Now I can easily read at work when it is slow.

From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

I have not .... Should I, I think I will look into it.

I like to read a lot, and I like for the world to be fleshed out, so a good long series is good for me. when i like a book, i want it to keep on going. and for some reason I like fantasy a lot better than science fiction, although I do like sci fi.

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

looks pretty good from wikipedia! Seems like the exact type of story i'd be interested in! thanks ded!
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by dedman:
Peebs, seeing as you are a fan of epic fantasy (ugg, how i hate that term) have you read the Malazan series by Steven Erikson? 10 massive novels and the series is complete.

And in other news, the kindle my wife ordered me for my birthday has finally arrived. Now I can easily read at work when it is slow.

I love my Kindle so much! Hope you bought a case/cover for it though.
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

I have a Sony EReader and the kindle's image quality is far superior. mine has glare, it's ok though.
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I love my Kindle so much! Hope you bought a case/cover for it though.

Yup, got a case too, one of the ones with a light in case I start bussing to work during the winter

Peebs, I'm mostly a genre reader too, sticking mostly to fantasy with a few other genres sprinkled in to keep things interesting.

Malazan Book of the Fallen will definitely keep you busy. Its pretty confusing at first, Erikson has a very large and complex world worked out and just drops you into the story with no explaination for anything. Its a series you really have to work at to understand (I was reading at about half my normal pace to make sure I didn't miss anything) but the payoff is awesome in the end.

I recently went through a spate of reading Australian fantasy writers, some really good stuff there too.

[ November 17, 2011, 01:59 AM: Message edited by: dedman ]

From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  78  79  80  81  82  83  84  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.