Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you READING? (Page 79)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  76  77  78  79  80  81  82  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: So what are you READING?
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
I didn't care much for either Frankenstein or Dracula. Or Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde, for that matter.

I am currently reading an old copy of Pinnochio that I own. Next up is Tom Sawyer, which I haven't read in a very long time. I vastly preferred it over Huck Finn.

From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
There's bits of Frankenstein that I've really liked, but there's just so much melodramatic whining in it! I'd much rather watch the old Universal flicks with groovy stuff like "It's Alive!", "Fire Bad!", and the one-armed constable or burgermeister or whatever he was!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow that's alot of Dickens! (pun not intended). I read Tale of Two Cities...and there was a ton I liked...I just couldn't get into it. But good for you. I wish I liked the author more.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
In between the second and third book of King's Dark Tower series, Mom threw a Jodi Picoult book my way-- House Rules. It's about a young man with Aspergers syndrome who's been accused of a murder... and many of the symptoms of his disease make him look guilty in the eyes of law enforcement.

The chapters are each told by one of five characters: Jacob Hunt, the kid with Aspergers; His younger brother Theo; His mother, Emma; Rich, the local police Captain; and Oliver, an inexperienced lawyer who takes up Jacob's defense. The switching from person-to-person could have been clunky, but Picoult does a good job giving everyone their own voice. She put alot of research into Jacob's condition, but the story never feels bogged down by it. Indeed, there's tons of comic relief from Jacob's idiosyncracies and how others need to deal with them.

It's an enjoyable read. And now I'm back to King's DT with The Waste Lands; Solunds promising [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Went and read "Swiss Family Robinson" and "Moby Dick", then dug up some old Sherlock Holmes stories.

Also reading a lot of Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple by Agatha Christie, and Perry Mason by Erle Stanley Gardner. Love trying to figure out whodunit.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

The Five Find-Outers (and Dog) by Enid Blyton is another hilarious series. A kid's book, for sure, but I have a lot of fond memories of that.

--------------------

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Eryk, I am impressed that you could get through that much Dickens. I liked Great Expectations, but I was bored silly by A Tale of Two Cities and I could never even finish Oliver Twist.

IB, I have read every Sherlock Holmes story, but I have never read Swiss Family Robinson nor Moby Dick. What did you think of them?

Unfortunately, far too books are called classics because someone's English teacher/professor called it a classic, and the myth gets perpetuated. IMHO, of course.

From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

The funny thing about Dickens is that with a lot of the books it would take me about half the book to really get into it, but by the end I'd be completely engrossed in the story. Some of the lesser known novels (like Dombey and Son) were actually a lot more interesting than some of the more widely read books.

I first read Moby Dick in high school, and it was a massive struggle to get through then, but I read it again in my 20s and really enjoyed it. It's probably about time that I should read it again.

I also read all of Sherlock Holmes awhile back, and have been going through the Poirot novels in order recently (I read some of them when I was a teen, but don't remember them that well). I've got a six hour drive twice a week right now, and the Audiobooks are pretty much the perfect length for the drive. I think once I run out of them, I'm going start the Nero Wolfe books.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

I just finished Tom Sawyer. I have read several things by Twain, but for the most part, I just don't like it very much. Tom Sawyer is the exception, though, and is such a wonderful book it well deserves to be called a classic, and is one of the finest books I have ever read. I remember reading both it and Huck Finn many years ago, and while I loved Tom Sawyer, I did not care for Huck Finn. Still, that was a long time ago, and I am going to give it another chance.

Next up is a book I haven't read since grade school - Three Tales of My Father's Dragon.

Eryk Davis Ester

This week I'm re-reading Wuthering Heights, an old favorite from High School. Seems to be holding up pretty well.
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Swiss Family Robinson was interesting. I liked it as a child because of all the descriptions of interesting fauna on the island. I don't want to give any spoilers, but the decisions the family makes at the end are poignant and realistic.

As for Moby Dick, I remember hating that awful white whale when I was a kid. Now I can appreciate the deeper lesson behind it.

I loved Tom Sawyer, what a great character. I'm thinking of reading Huck Finn, too.

Right now I just got the paperback of Book 13 of the Wheel of Time - Towers of Midnight. So glad the plot is speeding up; many of the middle books were awfully slow-paced. Book 11 onwards really picked things up again.

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester

So, this weekend I read Anne Bronte's Agnes Grey and now I'm reading Jane Eyre, which I'm pretty sure I've read before but don't really remember at all.

Anyway, once that's finished I'm planning to read Rebecca, which I've never read (but love the movie!).

Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
Let Us Now Praise Famous Men by James Agee and Walker Evans.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

quote:
Originally posted by lancesrealm:

IB, I have read every Sherlock Holmes story, but I have never read Swiss Family Robinson nor Moby Dick. What did you think of them?

Unfortunately, far too books are called classics because someone's English teacher/professor called it a classic, and the myth gets perpetuated. IMHO, of course.

Lance, I agree with you. Lord of the Rings, for example - I appreciate it for being a forerunner, and the plot was good, but the writing bored me silly.

Which of the Sherlock Holmes stories did you like best?

--------------------

lancesrealm
amiable

IB, I don't remember which of the stories I liked best. It has been quite awhile since I read them. I do remember that I liked the short stories much better than the novels, though.

And I completely agree with you about Lord of the Rings.

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  76  77  78  79  80  81  82  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.