Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you READING? (Page 74)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: So what are you READING?
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I am on page 400 (approximately) of the Mists of Avalon.

can anyone tell me if it's worth going more into ?

I like it, and at first I was excited it was 1000 pages cause then it would last a while but now .... it's a bit slow.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Just finished a book on the history of California punk rock. Not bad; especially since a lot of the folks interviewed are not afraid to look like complete morons.

Next up is probably a history/tribute to the Hammer film studio.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I finished reading The Great Gatsby, even though I was supposed to read it for the 11th Grade I never really read it a few days ago.

Last night I finished reading a British teen horror novel called Nobody's Child, and then I read a book called The Wave, it's based on this event that happened in California in 1969, when a high school teacher's attempt to teach his students about the Nazi Party lead to an experiment that got out of control.

I tried to read a little more of Interview With The Vampire, which I haven't finished since I started it... in 2007. The only Anne Rice novel I've ever finished is The Mummy.

I started re-reading a book by Christopher Pike called The Midnight Club. It's about five teenagers in a hospice for people their age, who get together at midnight to tell stories.

[ August 07, 2010, 01:14 AM: Message edited by: Sarcasm Kid ]

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

quote:
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
I tried to read a little more of Interview With The Vampire, which I haven't finished since I started it... in 2007.

I can relate. I tried to read it over 10 years ago and could only get so far because I thought it was so laughably bad.

--------------------

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
My brother's tried finishing the Witching Hour since last year, but he says Anne Rice spends whole chapters just describing parts of the house.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

I finished The Midnight Club and started on another Pike book which I already read, but my parents bought me a copy (by mistake) for Christmas/my birthday. Monster.

At quarterback Jim Kline's party at the beginning of the school year, Angela Warner watches her best friend Mary Blanc arrive... with a loaded shotgun. Mary proceeds to murder football player Todd and cheerleader Kathy within six seconds and attempts to kill Jim before Angela and the police manage to stop her.

At the police station, Angela tries to learn why Mary has done what she did. And Mary tells Angela that the two she killed, and Jim, were no longer human. That they are, or are starting to become, monsters, who have already killed four people, and there may be more of them. Angela thinks Mary is crazy at first, but doing a little digging she learns Mary might not be crazy at all, but Angela fears she's becoming just like Jim and the others.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

I finished that book as well.

I'm trying to read two others. Fall Into Darkness (which was made into a TV movie) and Witch.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

The Hammer tribute book was OK. A little low on history and high on in-jokey humor, but there nice bits about Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee.

Next up is "Flowers of Evil", a collection of essays on modern Japanese horror films.

--------------------

Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm reading In Search of the Woman Warrior by Richard J. Lane and Jay Wurts. I admit, I was a little put off when I realized it was written by two men, neither of whom seem to have scholarly backgrounds. The book's good, though. It discusses a lot of warrior women from myth, fiction and in real life. There's a lot of interesting stories in it. I'm not sure I like them shoving the women into four archetypes, but it's certainly better than shoving them into one archetype, which is more typical, I think. And the theories on how they represent a warriors journey are interesting.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

I'm working on a biography of Mack Sennett and the Keystone/Triangle cast and crew. They had an major effect on the develop of comedy. As you might expect, there's more than enough tragedy here as well.

The prose style is stretching a bit to be off the wall, but instead its pretty dry.

--------------------

Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I've been on a fiction reading binge. Mainly suspense fiction. The best of what I've read in the last couple of weeks:

Fantasy in Death by J.D. Robb (aka Nora Roberts.) I love the ...in Death series. It's set in a fun, futuristic world (flying cars!) with lots of great characters and interesting mysteries. Eve and Roarke are one of best long term couples in serial fiction. (Comic writers should be forced to read this series before breaking up long term couples.) This one is about a computer gaming CEO killed while playing is top secret new game. It's a fun possible future of Geekdom. Eve, of course, thinks it's nuts. (Peabody, on the other hand, loves going undercover to a gaming con.)

Die for Me by Karen Rose. This one's not so fun, but it's a real page turner, none the less. By remarkable coincidence, it also involves computer gaming. In the present, this time. The killer in this is truly psycho; killing people with authentic historical methods. Fortunately, the book doesn't go into too much detail about the crimes. It could have gotten pretty gross. The hero and heroine (a homicide detective and an archaeologist brought in to help find the bodies and explain some of the methods the killer uses) are good, well rounded characters with solid back stories. Seeing them interact with their families is almost as good as seeing them solve the crime.

Dead Secret by Beverly Connor. I haven't finished this one, but I'm loving it. It's part of the Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation series about a forensic anthropologist running a museum and a crime lab. In this one, Diane and friends come across a decades old corpse while caving. They think it's simply caver who died in a tragic accident, but strange things start happening after the discovery. Starting with Diane and her friend getting stabbed at a funeral. Meanwhile, Diane receives a centuries old skeleton of contested ownership from England, supposedly that of a witch. I got this from the library, but they don't have all the books in the series, so I think I'm going to have to go on a book hunt when I'm finished this one. [Big Grin]

And for something completely different -- Flora Segunda by Ysabeau S. Wilce. This book got my attention with the description of a decrepit house with 11 thousand shifting rooms. I just love that sort of thing. It's a young adult book about 13 year old Flora, a young girl trying to find a way to tell her mother that she doesn't want to join the army on her fourteenth birthday (the legal age of adulthood -- where have I heard that before?) which is only a week away. Complicating things is the house. It's falling apart, and Flora and her family are forced to live in just a few rooms with no help to keep it up. Since her mother's always away, and her father's crazy, the upkeep is entirely up to Flora, so when she accidentally discovers their magical butler, who her mother banished years ago, Flora sets out to restore him with the help of her friend Udo and her dog. This book is cute, funny and extremely fast paced and action packed. It is sooo hard to put down. I was really surprised. The world is pretty fascinating, too. It combines all sorts of past cultures with some modern elements thrown in. It's pretty surreal. Flora's a great character. Short and a little chubby, but smart, sassy and determined to get things done.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Just read Keeper by Rucka - Good book.

Now reading The Hobbit

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I finished Starship Troopers. It was fun.

Reading Strangers on a Train by Patricia Highsmith currently. Pretty good.

STILL reading Return of the King. You guys warned me that the other LOR books didn't read as fast as the Hobbit.

Dev-Em, Hobbit is a good, fast and fun read. can't wait for the movie.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Finished the Hobbit. Reading a half hour or so at a time at lunch when I can. Great read, and looking forward to the movie(s) as well.

Gotta find what's next on the list.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
waiting for y the last man volume 4 to be released.

meanwhile am burning through the walking dead.

i bought volumes 4 and 5 tpbs off of amazon and bought 3 to tide me over yet ... i've already finished it and now have to wait two days because of this labor day while 4 and 5 come.

so i have nothing to read at the moment.

any suggestions? looking for something similar.

thaaanks

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.