Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you WATCHING? (Page 72)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  ...  78  79  80   
Author Topic: So what are you WATCHING?
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
mr_cleome has on a lot of Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart in the evening, but since I'm not a two-party believer and just want this joke of an election over ASAP, it doesn't really do much for me.

Though Colbert discussing fashion with Anna Wintour was good for a few chuckles.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Exnihil:
Lately I've been addicted to a group of documentaries collectively called the "Up Series".

In 1963, a group of English 7-year olds from different backgrounds were interviewed on topics ranging from the class system to race relations to gender issues. The conceit was that these children would be representatives of the generation who would be in power in the year 2000. The initial program was called "7 Up".

The same group was interviewed 7 years later at age 14, and thus started a series that could very easily be called the first "reality series," as subsequent entries visited the same group at ages 21, 28, 35, 42, and 49, with "56 Up" currently in preproduction.

I'm up to the 35 episode and am just astounded at what a beautiful experiment this series is. It's like a stone was skipped through time, allowing you just the briefest touch points as you watch these fourteen people grow in ways that for some you could have well predicted at age 7, but for others you never could have imagined.

I'm not doing it justice, but it's good, good stuff.

And... two and a half years after I wrote that... I'm watching "56 Up"!

It was broadcast in the UK over the past few weeks, but probably won't be available in the States for a bit, but... you know... the magic of Youtube, and all that.

This is the largest number of returning participants since age 21, with 13 of the 14 taking part.

I would love to see this project continue to at least "70 Up" to provide a sort of symmetry to the whole thing, but the reality is that director Michael Apted is, himself, 71 at this point.

He's said in the past he would continue the project as long as he's able, though, so... fingers crossed, hopefully I'll be posting about "63 Up" seven years from now.

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
Dude, no way! Is the whole thing on YouTube?

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
Yep!

Here's a neat little advert to whet your whistle:

Advert

... and then the segments in the order they ran:

Sue
Paul
Neil - Part 1
Neil - Part 2
Peter - back after 28 years!
Jackie
Suzy and Nick - Part 1
Suzy and Nick - Part 2
Symon
Bruce
Lynn
Andrew and John
Tony

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks! Just watched a "Suzy and Nick" and "Tony"... such an amazing program, even if Suzy likens it to a bad book...

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Castle season 4 reruns on a canadian site. Catching up on some eps I missed.

Tryin' to rewatch Chuck, but can't find the pilot online and don't know where the dvd's are.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
We watched "Melancholia" a couple nights ago. It was about what I expected. It was well made but the plot was less important than the overall tone and the acting was good but the characters were pretty unlikable. It may have been the first Lars Von Trier film I watched in it's entirety.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
I caught "Badlands" on TCM earlier. Terence Malick's first film and loosley based on spree-killer Charles Starkweather. Martin Sheen and Sissy Spacek were so young then and played the roles with such nonchalance that the crazy things they were doing seemed almost normal. The vast open landscape of the midwest looks pretty alien to the rolling, wooded hills of mid-Georgia where I sit.

The Bruce Springsteen song "Nebraska" was based on the same events so now it's stuck in my head.

From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
I am not currently watching anything current, but I am picking up the "Big Bang Theory" dvds, and I just finished season 1 of "Game of Thrones." GoT was pretty good, but then, having read the books multiple times, it held no surprises. Still, it was fun to watch.
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Not watching anything right now.

I'll find something soon.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Watched some of our favorite Breaking Bad episodes in lead up to last night's season premiere, which, of course, meant the premiere suffered a little in comparison (though it was still really good). Been waiting for four seasons to see full-on Heisenberg, and it looks like it won't disappoint.

Also watched the first episode of Misfits. It was decent enough and we'll definitely watch the rest of season 1 at least.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Just discovered the series Lost Girl. Love it. Finished Season One. Going to start season 2.

Also finished the first season of Downtown Abbey...love that as well.

Netflix has changed my life. [Smile] Last night I saw Drive (Ryan Gosling). Enjoyed it very much. Great acting.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
"Rise of the Planet of the Apes" made it to Netflix Canada, so I gave it a try last night and found I liked it more than I expected. For a heavily CGI dependent movie, they did some decent work giving us interesting characters and plot. John Lithgow steals all his scenes, but they do a great job with Serkis/Caesar.

[ July 18, 2012, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: Dave Hackett ]

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^ I just watched that movie too and really enjoyed it! I didn't pay attention to its reviews so I'm not sure how well it was received but IMO it's definitely one of the better Hollywood-style action/thriller/drama movies I've seen in a while.

I've only ever seen the original Planet of the Apes (oh yeah - and its crappy Tm Burton remake) so I'm not super-into that whole mythos, but I'd definitely pay to see a sequel to this one; as long as they bring back James Franco for it - I found the whole relationship between Ceasar and he really touching/powerful.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenaustin
4/28/37 - I miss you, momma - 6/13/11

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenaustin   Author's Homepage   Email kenaustin         Edit/Delete Post     
The 1st season of Continuum, another sci/fi show from Canada's Showcase. Not to be confused with the web series of the same name.

"A detective from the Corporate Congress ruled year of 2077 finds herself trapped in present day Vancouver and searching for the members of Liber8, a terrorist group from her time who are fighting to free the future from the corporations. "

Continuum - 3 Minute Sneak Peek

Possible sociopolitical agenda aside, it's a pretty good show.

--------------------
kenaustin's korner - Legion Magic

From: Louisville, Ky | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  ...  78  79  80   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.