Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you WATCHING? (Page 68)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  ...  78  79  80   
Author Topic: So what are you WATCHING?
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
My DVD of "Centurions: The Original Miniseries" arrived yesterday. For anyone who never watched or who doesn't remember that 1986 cartoon, the concept is basically Iron Man cubed, three armored guys with a variety of weapons, each guy specializing in either air, land, or sea. A cool twist which I've always liked is that the person in charge of teleporting their weapons from a super-satellite in space to whatever location they happen to be in is a woman with a pet orangutan named Lucy.

I wish I could say it holds up as well as Transformers, but unfortunately it doesn't. Despite some talented voice actors in the cast, the characters are bland and the performances flat. And the dialogue lacks the wit and snap of the better 80s action cartoons (like Transformers.)

It's also misleading to call this a mini-series, because these are actually five self-contained episodes. Thus, each one rises or falls depending on the quality of the animation, which varies. The best ones have a nice combination of smooth, clean "American-style" designs and punchy, dynamic "Japanese-style" action sequences. My favorite episode by far is the first, "The Sky Is On Fire." I'd recommend trying to find that one on the internet rather than spending money on this DVD.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Don't roll your eyes too hard, but I've totally gotten into THE VAMPIRE DIARIES on Netflix.

I'm halfway through Season 1. Where does it rank with past vampey things?

It's much less campy than Buffy could be... about 50 times more exciting than what I have seen of the Twilight films (the main girl is 10 zillion times better than the Bella)... of course it's PG-13 unlike True Blood, but I think overall I'm enjoying it as much as True Blood.

So... it's kinda a less-humorous themed, much more exciting, less booby/butty version of past vampirey things!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH classic:
Don't roll your eyes too hard, but I've totally gotten into THE VAMPIRE DIARIES on Netflix.

[Roll Eyes]

[Wink]

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by cleome45:
"Shaun the Sheep" involved the flock "inventing" rugby, using a cabbage that fell off the back of a passing truck... to the consternation of the neighborhood pigs, who wanted the cabbage for themselves. It was really adorable.

Shaun the Sheep is hysterical to me for some reason. The kids watched it when it was on Disney as buffers between shows...great stuff.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

1 more ep of Vampire Diaries Season 1 remains for me to see, and I am now officially a big unapologetic fan!! After this- Season 2 awaits!!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
American Horror Story was dealt a blow for me with the Rubber Man episode (we're a few weeks behind in Canada). Not to be too spoilery, but I didn't like the "pulling back the curtain" aspects of it. I want spooky, creepy and challenging fare, not a soap opera of ghosts. Hoping the last handful of episodes get it back on track.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I just saw The Adventures of Tintin and LOVED it!

An extremely fast-paced, action-packed thrill-ride that looked AMAZING! I swear I wanted to just teleport myself straight onto the screen and run around all those awesomely animated foggy French streets and dusty North African towns myself.

I was a big fan of Herge's books about this famous boy-reporter when I was growing up and have read all of them - so I went into this movie with some trepidation that they might screw it up. But I was seriously impressed.

Super-fun movie and I really hope we get a sequel now.

Here's a great review from Comics Alliance too -

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/12/28/tintin-movie-review/

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
American Horror Story was dealt a blow for me with the Rubber Man episode (we're a few weeks behind in Canada). Not to be too spoilery, but I didn't like the "pulling back the curtain" aspects of it. I want spooky, creepy and challenging fare, not a soap opera of ghosts. Hoping the last handful of episodes get it back on track.

NO AHS SPOILERS HERE, just info that may be helpful...

In the 12 episodes of AHS, you get a complete story that meets the 3 criteria you list. HOWEVER... the soap-opera aspect is there too. Don't let that be a dealbreaker because...

The next-to-last episode is one of the most ....SEVERE hours of television I have ever watched. The finale: 100% NOT what I expected but left me very satisfied.

And Jessica Lange gives an awardsworthy performance throughout.

--------------------

rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Just got Terry Pratchett's Going Postal in mail from Netflix. gonna watch it tonight maybe.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

30 Rock, Parks and Recreation, and The Office all resume tonight, hooray! But ...it will seem SO weird without my beloved Community! Up All Night (also resuming tonight) is cute and all but it's SO not as streets ahead as Community.

--------------------

Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Netflix Canada finally got Being Human (UK Version), so we got to see the Season 2 finale at last (it was great). On to Season 3!
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Mostly just watching Big Bang Theory and How I met your mother reruns, when I'm not on TVland at night to go to sleep.

--------------------

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Re-watching the Thin Man movies this week!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

awesome. Love me some Myrna Loy. And that series, while a bit different from the books, was a great example of that kind of pop, zing and verve from that era.

--------------------

Something pithy!

Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I recently bought the Guiding Light classic DVD set and have seen a few of the episodes from the early '80s, only one of which I distinctly remember seeing when I was a teenager. It's interesting to see the standard of male beauty changing at that time. The young leading men were starting to become more buff. Before that, a handsome face was considered sufficient. Rugged young men such as John Wesley Shipp (Kelly Nelson [Shipp still looks awesome, BTW]) and Greg Beecroft (Tony Reardon) spent a lot of time shirtless. It's a lot of fun seeing this show again.

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  ...  78  79  80   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.