Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you READING? (Page 66)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: So what are you READING?
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
I just read a classic...The Hobbit!

I read it when I was 12 and enjoyed it but didn't love it. (I was a big Llyod Alexander fan though as a kid)

I loved it this time around. I haven't read a book this fast since high school. Read it in 5 days.

I want to read Fellowship of the Ring next . . .

I remember Lloyd Alexander, but I didn't read a lot of him.

The Hobbit is so fun.
The story was originally a newspaper series for children.
So, you won't find any of the Lord of the Rings books to be a 'fast read', I think.
[Smile]
Just a wonderful read! [Yes]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Texasville and Duane's Depressed by Larry McMurty. I never liked either one of those books the first reading, little day to day things keep reminding me of them and I go back to them every once in a while. His books always seem better about the third or fourth reading.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
For some reason, I seem to have completely lost my taste for fiction. So far this summer I have several history books. Funny, I was never much interested in history before, but that seems to be all I want to read now. Thus far I have read books on:

WWII
The Revolutionary War
The Civil War (by Bruce Catton - highly recommended!)
The Conquest of America
The Birth of America, from before Columbus to the Revolution
and I am now reading another, more detailed book on the revolutionary war.

Up next on my list is a book on WWI and a book on ancient Rome. Tonight I think I am going to check out books on landmark Supreme Court cases, the Old West, and maybe gangsters.

I have no idea what's gotten into me - other than a lot of historical information that might make me a good Jeopardy contestant.

From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Taste's change over time. Don't worry about it. I go through phases of what I like to read. I might go from scifi to westerns to police mysteries to spy to bio's to historical....just enjoy where your mind leads you.

--------------------

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Actually, I saw recently that Robert Heinlein has a new book out - sort of. After his wife's death a few years ago, an outline was found for a new novel. Spider Robinson was selected somehow to write a book based on the outline. The book is called "Variable Star" and I think I am gonna have to check it out next time I go to the library. Has anyone read this, by the way?
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

"Variable Star" must have been ok since I read the whole thing yesterday. Actually, it was good, but not great. There are a lot of references for us diehard Heinlein fans, although I thought the book really plodded along at some points. The ending seemed a bit of a cop-out, too. Robinson basically swiped an ending from a different Heinlein book and used it here. I wouldn't recommend reading this unless you are a diehard Heinlein fan.
rickshaw1
Leader

Semi-Tough. Great book, horrible movie. Truly, truly horrible movie.

--------------------

Something pithy!

rickshaw1
Leader

PN Elrod's vampire series starring Jack. Set just after prohibition in Chicago. good series.

--------------------

Something pithy!

stuorstew
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stuorstew   Email stuorstew         Edit/Delete Post     
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami for the umpteenth time. It's just marvellous!
From: Dorset, England | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bottle City of Kanga
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bottle City of Kanga   Author's Homepage   Email Bottle City of Kanga         Edit/Delete Post     
I read everything by Richard Yates, who wrote Revolutionary Road, over the summer and they are some really GREAT books!

Also recently enjoyed Sellevision by Augusten Burroughs. It's a hoot!

I'm reading one of Sherman Alexie's short story collections. I wanted to know more about life on a native American reservation! But I'm finding his stuff quite unsatisfying, he doesn't really give anything proper endings and is quite repetitive.

--------------------
http://bottlecityofkanga.blogspot.com/

Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

I just finished Gone With the Wind, which I have not read since I was 17. I also have been on a Heinlein kick, rereading Starship Troopers and Tunnel in the Sky.
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
Lance, my wife and I were just trying to figure out if either of us had a copy of Gone With the Wind. I know I read it, but maybe it was my mom's. I haven't read it in ages either. And Starship Troopers is on my list of books that I reread every year or two. Pity about the movie.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Really? I actually enjoyed the movie. Not great or anything, but I like watching it. Don't gag, but I even like watching the movie of the Puppet Masters. I understand what you mean, though - neither movie captures the flavor of the book. Actually, the only movie that seems like a Heinlein movie (but isn't) is a made-for-TV movie called Star Command.
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
I think I liked Puppet Masters, but it's been a long time since I watched it or read the book for that matter. I'd like to see a big screen take on "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress" although I bet they'd drop most of the politics in favor of the action stuff.

I didn't like the way the movie version of Starship Troopers drifted into satirizing the military even if the book went a bit far in the other direction. Paul Verhoeven just wasn't the right director for it, I think. Plus, everything else aside, who would do a "Starship Troopers" movie without the cool MI Suits?

From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

I agree with you on the absence of the MI suits. I have no idea why they weren't included. The thing that really bugged (pun intended) me about the movie is this: If you are fighting something with a decentralized nervous system, why in the world is almost everyone using projectile weapons? Doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

As for which Heinlein book I would like to see made into a movie - hmm...I think Tunnel in the Sky would make a cool film, but that might just be because I read it recently.

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.