Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you READING? (Page 63)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  60  61  62  63  64  65  66  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: So what are you READING?
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I love authors who write with a word flow and rythm that make them beautiful to read out loud.
It doesn't happen very often though.

Patricia McKillip(sp) has writen some gorgeous prose.
Her 'Beasts of Eld' is especially lovely.

LeGuin's 'EarthSea' books are equally wonderful in your mind or on you tongue.

[ February 22, 2009, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Candle ]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
I really need to have a go at EarthSea one day soon. I have several of LeGuin's short story collections, all of which have at least something worth reading more than once. Compass Rose is probably my favorite.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
You really ought to get all three of them AND The Wind's Twelve Quarters which has an extra Earthsea tale in it. A voracious reader will knock them out in practically no time and yes(!) they're fantastic.

I'm a sucker for well written fantasy and I just picked up a new Darkover novel called The Alton Gift by Deborah Ross (who 's been doing a pretty decent job of continuing MZB's works) and a new Pern novel called Dragon Harper by Todd McCafferey (likewise doing a very nice job of continuing the work with his mother's excellent Pern series).

Oh yeah, I've been looking for a few Heinlein novels to fill a couple of gaps in my collection so I picked up The Rolling Stones. I'd forgotten how much fun that book is.

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
robert jordan.
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
LeGuin' last Earthsea book is the adopted daughter of Ged(the burned out wizard) and the girl under the temple.
It's truely wonderful, the kind of end to a series that I wish #50 had been.

I've packed it away somewhere, darn it, or I'd tell you the name of it.
[Frown]

--------------------

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
Y'know..that sounds familiar.

I enjoyed the Todd McCaffery novel. He started out ok, not all that special, but he's starting to grow into the role pretty well. This one was pretty good overall. His primary characters have emotional depth now (not all of them but more than ever before) even if they're perhaps a bit too competent. So far he does have a habit of not filling in much of the background but it works well enough if you've been aboard the Pern stories for a while. He doesn't have to fill in too much because you already know a lot of it, a great advantage to working inside an already existing framework.

The Darkover novel was good. I might like them better now than I did when Bradley was writing them, they're less driven by MZB's social agenda. It picks up after the Terrans have left Darkover where the people and the government are left with a power vacuum.
It was hard to put down.

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

I haven't found the LeGuin book yet, but I think the title is 'Tehanu'.

Todd's doing better, I think, too.
I really enjoyed the characters in his mini, except for the bad guy. I thought he was around for just too long!

I've always liked the watch whers!

I'm reading the Sonoma Diet right now.
Scanning really, before I start it in March.

--------------------

Come, join me!

cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
(snip)

Yellow Kid:
quote:
You really ought to get all three of them AND The Wind's Twelve Quarters which has an extra Earthsea tale in it. A voracious reader will knock them out in practically no time and yes(!) they're fantastic...

Actually I do own The Wind's Twelve Quarters, but had completely forgotten that it had some of the Earthsea stuff in there.

D'oh !!

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

There's a type of story where an author takes a fairy tale and rewrites it ~ fleshes it out into a novel.

I have a number of them, but I read a new one the other day called 'The Goose Girl' by Shannon Hale that was pretty fantastic.

She's a princess, although not a very good one, it seems.
But her aunt taught her to talk with animals when she was little, particularly birds and horses.

Later, while a goose girl, she learns how to talk with the wind.

The next book is a continuation of characters and deals with Isi's best friend, Enna ~ a forest girl who learns to talk with fire.

Great stories and great takes on having a superpower as teens.

--------------------

Come, join me!

Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick.

Winner of the 2008 Caldecott Medal.

The inside jacket describes it as combining elements of picture book, graphic novel, and film. The New York Times review described it as a silent film on paper. It's a delightful story of a young orphan boy hiding in a train station, an old man who runs a toy shop, and a young girl. It's a mystery that evolves into a preoccupation with mechanical things that evolves into a celebration of film. Highly recommended for both the story and the innovative way it is told.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Got up to page 100 in Neal Stephenson's Anathem and dropped it. Read the last chapter to see what I'd missed... there seemed to be something about multiverses but there was just too much of something. Maybe this is a book that could benefit from being turned into a comic book series or GN, since visuals might help transcend some of the dictionary-ness of it. Stephenson's books are hit or miss for me.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I finished Sorrow of Young Werther by Goethe. It was good. Now reading Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller. One of the best books I've ever read.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Whoa, that's quite the praise, Jorge! I may have to check out Tropic of Cancer (I have two books I need to read first...)
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm reading Godel, Escher, Bach and quite enjoying it. I should have read it sooner!

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Matthew E:
I'm reading Godel, Escher, Bach and quite enjoying it. I should have read it sooner!

Not only is it awesome, but it's named after three of the most awesome people ever!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  60  61  62  63  64  65  66  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.