Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » "Smexy" '60s/'70s music videos (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: "Smexy" '60s/'70s music videos
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
King Smexy

With the best band he ever had the privilege of working with.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Somebody was on Marian McPartland's show a couple of week's back, talking about what an amazing/underappreciated song "What A Fool Believes," is, because of its obscured Latin groove and its pairing of a peppy melody with what's really a mind-blowing amount of lyrical sadness. You hear that in classic Bossa Nova a lot, too.

I wish I'd caught the artist's name, because their cover was great.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I think this song is actually better known for Kiss's version these days, but the original by Argent is much better.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

quote:
Originally posted by cleome:
Somebody was on Marian McPartland's show a couple of week's back, talking about what an amazing/underappreciated song "What A Fool Believes," is, because of its obscured Latin groove and its pairing of a peppy melody with what's really a mind-blowing amount of lyrical sadness. You hear that in classic Bossa Nova a lot, too.

Google suggests the artist is one Carol Welsman

--------------------

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks, OM! I'll have to look her up. Only... I'm pretty sure the artist I heard was a guy. Well, OTOH, my hearing ain't what it used to be.

BTW, here's a cover of "The In Crowd" from the year I was born. Georgie Fame & the Blue Flames.

Damn. Fame is awesome on every level. I'd totally cast him as a villain in my superhero epic, if I were drawing one. [Love]

[ May 24, 2010, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: cleome ]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

the song may well be under-appreciated for one reason: Michael MacDonald. snooze.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

While you were dozing off, I gave away all the pound cake to people with taste.

[tease]

--------------------

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

quote:
Thanks, OM! I'll have to look her up. Only... I'm pretty sure the artist I heard was a guy. Well, OTOH, my hearing ain't what it used to be.

According to the NPR website, McPartland's guest host for the show was some guy named Joe. That's who you may be remembering.

--------------------

Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Not to be shallow - the music is great - but that Georgie Fame was one handsome devil. Nice.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I think this song is actually better known for Kiss's version these days, but the original by Argent is much better.

Indeed, it is.

For me, Argent will always be known for this song. The clip is from "The Midnight Special," complete with a John Denver introduction.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Speaking of Kiss, which future, short-term member of that group is in this video for Dan Hartman's pop hit from 1978?

[ May 22, 2010, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: He Who Wanders ]

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
Speaking of Kiss, which future, short-term member of that group is in video for this Dan Hartman pop hit from 1978?

Vinnie Vincent.

Speaking of Argent, it appears the original lineup has reunited and is playing gigs.

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
quote:
Speaking of Kiss, which future, short-term member of that group is in video for this Dan Hartman pop hit from 1978?

Vinnie Vincent.

Yep, though he was Vinnie Cusano then.

Nice to hear about Argent. I saw Rod Argent and Colin Blunstone reunite as the Zombies on a PBS special a few years ago. They sounded great.

--------------------

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

quote:
Nice to hear about Argent. I saw Rod Argent and Colin Blunstone reunite as the Zombies on a PBS special a few years ago. They sounded great.

I saw them in person twice. The bassist both times was Jim Rodford of Argent/Kinks fame. Both shows were great, though the second time they were someone upstaged by openers Arthur Lee & Love.

An interview with the Argent guys in this month's Classic Rock suggests they had always stayed friends, so a reunion wasn't difficult to arrange.

--------------------

Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
One of the greatest singer/songwriters of that (or any) era.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q4foLKDlcE&feature=related

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.