Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Gay/Lesbian: Who's Next? (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Gay/Lesbian: Who's Next?
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
So, if you are gay, then you have no right to decide how to live your own life. Instead, you must submit your life to the "Gay Committee" or something, who then gets to decide whether you stay in the closet or not?

It should be any individual's decision as to how they live their lives, as long as they are not hurting others. It isn't his job in life to be "openly and admittedly gay" to make anyone else's life easier, or vice versa. It's his life. Same goes for anyone trying to force him into the closet.
As to others that will "Make them be"...ef em. And the major pressure, is only pressure if they let it be. There have been gay people throughout history, and there will be until society (if you can call the carnivorous beast that is the mass of humanity a true "society") comes crashing down.

Hayes has a right to live his life for himself, not for the gay community, not for the straight community, not for the bi community, not for the asexual or omnisexual. It's HIS life. No one else's. And since he felt that the Advocate and other "gay" media basically threw him under the bus to suit their own ends, if he want's to tell them to go take a flying efff, thats his right.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
On the one hand, living a lie is destructive, not just to the person living it, but to whomever they use as a beard. (See Holmes, Katie) But there's a difference between living a lie (pretending to be straight or to have been 'cured,' like Anna Heche), and just telling people that it's none of their darned business.

On the other hand, being 'outed' can be career suicide in Hollywood, or, at the minimum, lead to much reduced roles, stereotyping, marginalized popularity or being passed over for 'leading man' roles. Actors like Rock Hudson and Robert Reed (Pa Brady) kept their secrets, for the sake of their careers. Heath Ledger was dropped from everyone's 'leading roles' list because he *pretended* to be a gay man, and there were still freaks boycotting the second Batman movie because he *pretended* to be gay once, for a movie.

The Advocate seems to have a vested interest in outing people, to force celebrities who are gay to get out there and be 'examples,' but I don't think that a gay celebrity should be held to any higher standard than Tiger Woods should have somehow been more faithful to his wife than Bill Clinton or John McCain or Jesse James, just because he's black.

Having a penis trumps skin color and a dog is a dog, no matter it's coat. Setting celebrities up as 'examples' or 'icons' or 'people to look up to' of their race, sex, sexuality, etc. just makes it destructive when they are revealed to have been *human* underneath it all, just as certain news shows were happy to suggest that Tiger was unfaithful *because* he was black (while ignoring the dozens of prominent white cheaters of the last decade, in their rush to sneak in some racism).

If someone wants to 'come out' and be an 'advocate,' then good for them (although it behooves them to keep their house in order, so as not to 'tarnish the brand,' so to speak).

If someone wants to flip the media a finger and say, 'My bedroom, take your cameras and notepads and get the hell out,' then good for them, too.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
LW posters, I'm surprised some of you haven't been enjoying Hercules' comics these last few months. There was a GREAT scene recently regarding Hercules and Northstar with some hilarious and fun implications (all naturally fitting with the Hercules myth, of course!).

And Chew from Image had one of the best splash page endings in it's recent #9 that would make some gay/lesbian posters I know well here (I'm looking at you, Lash) laugh your asses off in delight!

(Er, fictional characters count for this thread, right? [Big Grin] )

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/ourcountry/24529/chely-wright-comes-out/

Country singer I've neer personally heard of, but they say it's pretty much a first for the country crowd.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
k. d. lang comes to mind, but she started to be thought of more as a "pop singer" after she came out.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Shut Up and Drive. Welcome, Chely. Single White Female will probably always be her signature hit, and its lyrics are decidedly heterosexual. It will be interesting to see how she handles that. I vote for continuing to sing the song with the lyrics as they are.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
slightly off the celeb theme, but some interesting news from my hometown:

http://www.registerstar.com/articles/2010/06/09/news/doc4c101ff7c3301708931690.txt

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
when I saw the tabloids (National Enquirer) at the store today....I saw Bono...kissing with another guy..."with a passionate kiss" with the guitarist and the print said that they have been friends since their youth and the kiss was just a "kiss of friendship" oh yeah right....but Bono whoa...I want him to be the one to kiss me!! yummy!
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ram Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ram Boy   Email Ram Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kent:
slightly off the celeb theme, but some interesting news from my hometown:
http://www.registerstar.com/articles/2010/06/09/news/doc4c101ff7c3301708931690.txt

That's amazing, Kent. Thanks for sharing that.
Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.