Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » COUGAR TOWN: very SCRUBSy (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: COUGAR TOWN: very SCRUBSy
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Or currently at $50.00 for the first four seasons on eBay, if you trust the seller. [Smile]
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for the input, folks!
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Or currently at $50.00 for the first four seasons on eBay, if you trust the seller. [Smile]

100% feedback rating, but their first listing as a seller. [Hmmm?] I'll watch the auction.

If I don't try bidding, I'll probably end up using the BestBuy card my sister gave me last X-Mas to order the first couple online. [Smile]

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Man, it's such a crime that Scrubs isn't the big megahit comedy of its time! I mean, really, it's so much better and funnier than Friends Seinfeld, or anything else seen on television the past decade and a half or so!

Am I right?

-  -  -  -  -

[ October 13, 2008, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: LardLad ]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
You da man, Lardy!

Scrubs is a hoot. I like it that the stories balance inane comedy with serious points about relationships. It often leaves me thinking as well as laughing (hard to do at the same time).

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
You obviously have good taste! [Smile]

Seriously, though, I have many LOL (you know, actually "laughing out loud") moments in EVERY EPISODE of Scrubs! Friends and Seinfeld have had many that barely elicited a SMILE from me!

Scrubs does serious well, but never forgets the funny--NEVER! Man, what a great show!

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I've never gotten the overall "joke" of "Seinfeld". It's sort of like David Letterman, who tries to be too smart to be funny. "Friends" took me more than 10 years to warm up to. At times, the characters are smarmy, selfish, and spoiled; other times, there is a genuine sense of warm friendship that comes through.

Most sitcoms get old after awhile, and this is also true for "Scrubs". There's a point where watching Dr. Cox abuse J.D. becomes boring, because I've seen it so many times before, or where Elliot is too much of a basketcase, or where Turk and Carla have yet another bump in their relationship to overcome. Ho hum.

But what keeps drawing me back are those flashes of insight that J.D. learns and imparts to the audience. In one episode, he does "the right thing" by persuading the hospital to operate on a patient whose lawyer daughter threatens to sue if anything goes wrong. Turk does "the wrong thing" by ordering a hypochondriac patient to stay away from him. As a result, Turk gets sued while J.D. ends up in bed with the lawyer. (Who says doing the right thing has no rewards! [Wink] )

What makes this work for me is that J.D. had no idea if the lawyer was only pretending to be nice to him (she said she was using him when she acted vulnerable, then she said she wasn't) -- but he had to act on his conscience and take a risk. Turk was only thinking of himself and put his own wishes above the patients' needs. This is almost a grade-school version of morality, but wait -- the story isn't quite resolved.

As the episode ends, J.D. chooses to be with the lawyer instead of returning Turk's anguished call. He puts his desire for sex above friendship, so he acts just as selfishly as Turk did. (I didn't see part two of this episode.)

The characters are complex, and the relationships aren't easily resolved. But J.D. and the rest do struggle to do the right thing, and their very human attempts are often hilarious.

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

But the main thing to me is that Scrubs is actually FUNNY!!!!

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
And Lard Lad is a true expert when it comes to funny. I love him so...him and Loser Lad...and Lash...and, well you get the idea.

I miss you guys.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
But the main thing to me is that Scrubs is actually FUNNY!!!!

Agreed, but the analytically retentive side of my personality insists on figuring out why it's funny.

--------------------

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I was a big fan for years but the last few seasons I thought was a bit too silly. Still love it though.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
I dunno, I like that they do serious stuff, too. Like JD's girlfriend getting pregnant and Laverne... you know. And JD's learning curve and sort of growing up to embrace his inner-nerd and things like that keep the characters endeared to me.

I love Scrubs. I'll be sad when it (most likely) ends after this season. Especially since very few series finales have ever truly left me with a fulfilled feeling...

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

The seventh and yes, final season starts in three weeks, Thursday the 25th.

Yes. Cali, Kim being preggers=more or less serious.

But JD having to explain not actually "doing the deed" to Carla, Turk and Elliot= more [ROTFLMAO] 's than I could count, especially with JD's battlefield and "friendly fire" analogies... [LOL]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

JD's "airstrike" ... [ROTFLMAO]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

Pov

quote:

Thanks for the input, folks!

I went with this BIN auction on eBay--Seasons 1-6 @$28.60 including shipping and insurance w/ free DC. The seller has 100% positive feedback on over 20,000 sales, so I feel pretty confident. [Wink] It ships on the release date for Season 6, 10/30/07.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Dang, Povvins, that's a STEAL! And I was proud of getting Season 4 last weekend for $19.99 from CAT'S used section!

The final season started tonight...

GAWD, Elliott is CRAZZZZY! Keith totally rules!

New favorite 4th-tier character: Dr. Beardface'.

And that Joe certainly was charming!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.