Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you WATCHING? (Page 59)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  ...  78  79  80   
Author Topic: So what are you WATCHING?
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chief Lardy:
Tonight, I watched SNL. While the sketches and host were about average, the musical guest was fan-friggin-TASTic! Paul-friggin-McCartney! When I saw he was scheduled, I figured he'd be supporting some new album and might be performing some songs I'd never heard--NOPE! He performed "Jet" and "Band on the Run" from his Wings days, and astonishingly, he performed most of "A Day in the Life" which melted into "Give Peace a Chance"! "Day" is primarily an iconic John Lennon song from their Beatles days (albeit one with a McCartney interlude) and "Peace" is all John post-Beatles. This was such a touching tribute to John on the week of the anniversary of John's murder! Frankly, I teared up. Just beautiful! To top it off, they ended the show with Paul performing "Get Back" as the credits ran! I was in Beatles fan heaven!

Look, the old boy's voice may obviously be on the wane, but he still doesn't phone it in. I'm so glad SNL let him have more than the customary two songs. And again, it was a rare treat to hear Paul singing some of John's parts, a lovely tribute to John and of how much he and John have meant to popular music for four decades!

Thanks, Paul and SNL!

Didn't see this post the first time around, even though we facebooked about it when it was happening, Lardy. As you know, I totally enjoyed this as well! I was really shocked and beyond delighted when Paul did his John tribute (so much that I ran to facebook to post about it).

It was a really touching, cool as hell tribute that Paul did and I went to bed really happy that night.

Skits were only okay but that was the best musical performance I've seen in a long time.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
PS - I'm still on a huge House kick with my wife and have been steadily watching it for weeks and weeks. We're now up to Season 6.

Quite simply, it's one of the best shows ever with one of the best casts ever. Hugh Laurie deserves all the praise he's gotten and then some.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
Got the DVR set for "The Cape" on Sunday... let's see if NBC learned anything from "Heroes"...

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Getting ready to watch The Scarlet Pimpernel!

Can't believe I've never seen it! I've read at least part of the book, however!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
just started The Adventures of Merlin. episode one.
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The best version of The Scarlet Pimpernel is the Looney Tunes version.

"It'th the Thcarlet P-P-Pumpernickel."

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:

Zounds! I liked it!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
quote:

Zounds! I liked it!
So what *is* a Pimpernel?

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

It's a type of flower, similar to a primrose!
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
"The Cape" was good... a little campy but not overboard... good visuals... best line - "Say hi to Dorothy, bitch"...

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by SharkLad:
"The Cape" was good... a little campy but not overboard... good visuals... best line - "Say hi to Dorothy, bitch"...

I just watched it, and was fairly impressed. There were things I didn't like about it, but overall it's got me a lot more interested than No Ordinary Family or The Event.
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Been trying to find Hedwig and the Angry Inch I think it is. Heard it was pretty good. Gotta be better than Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
I actually liked The Cape, as well! And I was ready not to. Keith David is a treasure as the leader of the delightful Circus of Crime (which is a great name, but not exactly accurate. More appropriate would be Circus and Anti-Establishmentarianism, I think). The whole setting--the villains, the city, the plot, the hero's appearance and abilities--has a wonderful, Golden-Age feel to it. I keep flashing on pre-Kirby Sandman, or Kubert's Hawkman, or the covers to the original Green Lantern, and their later descendants, like the Question, or even Aztek. In the Cape's world, bright colors and darkest shadows mix freely, a city can be subverted by rich and corrupt criminals, the lives of the virtuous sundered, and the heroic journey is about recovering that life, which includes a little boy who reads comic books and idolizes his dad, even in the face of damning evidence that his dad is a criminal, which places it in a 1930s/40s context, not the saccharine world of the 1950s. People are killed, but not gratuitously, and we see the suffering that killing leaves in its wake. The shows weakest link seems to be the actor playing the lead character, but maybe I expect too much.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Yeah, I think the Golden Age or even pulp feel to The Cape is it's real strength. And visually it's brilliant. I thought the writing was kind of weak though. It seemed like they were trying to cram too much into the premiere episodes. But it was nice to see a tv super-hero with, you know, an actual costume and secret identity for once. I'm pretty much bored with the whole "ordinary people with secret super-powers" motif of Smallville/Heroes/No Ordinary Family. Anyway, it's definitely a show with a lot of potential. Though the odds on it's getting a chance to develop that potential don't look promising.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I shall await Season One of the Cape to finish and complete reviews from Eryk, Sharky and Doublechinner on whether it stayed good!

I don't want to get burned like with Heroes which turned into a huge suckfest!

This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  ...  78  79  80   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.