Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you WATCHING? (Page 55)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  ...  78  79  80   
Author Topic: So what are you WATCHING?
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Same here about No Ordinary Family. Although I could tell what the boy's power would be before it manifested.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
Same here about No Ordinary Family. Although I could tell what the boy's power would be before it manifested.

Well, it was spoiled in the ads! [Smile]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Didn't see the ads.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I sorta saw them, but my son pretty much memorized them! He kept telling me what all their powers would be as the hour went on.

When the son's powers manifested, I said, "Behold! The power of math!" [Big Grin]

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

The son needs to dye his hair blonde and his skin green.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
NOF... watching now... so far, I'm liking it as a more serious take on supers (not as serious as HEROES, thankfully).

I'm probably going to give Sh#$ My Dad Says 1-2 more eps.

Simpsons premiere was dull. family Guy premiere was... out there.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I love those old-fashioned Agatha Christie-style murder mystery stories (and the comedies that make fun of them, like the wonderful Clue) so I really enjoyed the Family Guy premiere.

My favourite line was that guy's gasp jsut before he was killed "It's you! The man - or woman - behind it all!" [LOL]

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I guess it was out there for me because so many castmembers were done away with... didn't expect that. I wonder if they will stay dead?

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Looks like NOF *is* gonna be pretty serious. I'm not sure I'm in the mood for it... we'll see...

--------------------

Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not a regular Family Guy watcher so the only cast member that died that I was familiar with was

Click Here For A Spoiler Diane.

I think I read somewhere that they will all stay dead though. Or at least until the writers decide they want to use them again.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
NOF was surprisingly good.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I just saw "No Ordinary Family" online and was underwhelmed. I'll stick with it awhile, but the pilot tried to do too much in the first episode. (which I can forgive given that it was the first ep) The writing came across as ham-handed and the metaphors for their powers were too on the nose. "Buffy" did a good job of using the supernatural to dramatize the traumas of high school, but so far "NoF" is nowhere near as clever or genuine in dealing with family issues. The show also reminded me of "Joan of Arcadia" (and of course "The Incredibles")in its melding of fantasy with family but the writing on that was also far superior. (in its first season anyway)
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
I just saw "No Ordinary Family" online and was underwhelmed. I'll stick with it awhile, but the pilot tried to do too much in the first episode. (which I can forgive given that it was the first ep) The writing came across as ham-handed and the metaphors for their powers were too on the nose. "Buffy" did a good job of using the supernatural to dramatize the traumas of high school, but so far "NoF" is nowhere near as clever or genuine in dealing with family issues. The show also reminded me of "Joan of Arcadia" (and of course "The Incredibles")in its melding of fantasy with family but the writing on that was also far superior. (in its first season anyway)

I can't really disagree with you on most of those points, Drake. There wasn't much in there that screamed "Originality!" as I watched it. In fact the telepathic scenes with the daughter reminded me a little too much of how Matt Parkman discovered his powers in "Heroes".

I was also disappointed to see a superpowered threat emerge so quickly--I'd certainly have preferred a more organic development of this sort of thing. Hopefully, powered characters won't be crawling out of the woodwork....that was one of "Heroes"'s many failings.

What I liked (and what will ensure I watch some more episodes) was the presence of Michael Chiklis and Julie Benz as the main characters. I've enjoyed them both in the past, so it was pleasant to see them again. I also liked the family-friendly feel and how I can apparently share the show with my kids.

I kinda like that the mom has a fairly aggressive super-power along with the dad. I also like how she's the breadwinner/genius and the dad is more the caregiver. It's a subtle distinction which makes NOF less a knockoff of the FF or the Incredibles.

Also, superheroes, and especially superhero families, haven't exactly been done to death on live-action TV at least, so it's a welcome sight. If they can keep it family-friendly and family-relevant without dumbing it down, it could be a worthy viewing experience longterm. I'm hopeful at least!

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, there's a lot that can be criticized with NOF, but it kind of worked for me, somehow.

The whole plot with the girl and her boyfriend really kind of annoyed me, and I hope they don't get hung up on that kind of thing.

I'm assuming the powers connect to that magic plant thingie that the mother was interested in. It is a bit of a coincidence that the first bad guy Daddy decided to go after just happened to be powered as well.

I liked the touch that both parents revealed their powers to their friends before each other, which was kind of a nice bit of characterization (and really said more about the dysfunctionality of the family than a lot of the more blatant stuff on the show).

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
"Hawaii 5-0" looks like a fun show. Pretty straight forward, likable cast. I'll stick with it for now.

"Chase" was ok. I'm not ready to ditch it, but it's going to get stale for me soon if they don't give the main character a bit more personality.

"The Event" almost has me interested, but it reminds me of "Lost" (of course) mixed with "The 4400" so far. And I'm getting pretty annoyed at the time-jumping. Especially the overused device of showing something really dramatic happening then jumping to the past to show us how this situation came about. It was cool when "Alias" would do it, but it's been done to death by now.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  ...  78  79  80   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.