Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you WATCHING? (Page 52)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  ...  78  79  80   
Author Topic: So what are you WATCHING?
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I just watched OKLAHOMA on a much better TV than I've seen it on and it was like seeing it for the first time. The colors were beautiful and the Arizona landscape (standing in for OK) were beautiful. As was the music, of course-- Gordon Macrae's about the top of singing movie actors, in this style of music, anyway.

I lived in Oklahoma years ago and saw an outdoor production of the musical that played every summer. Probably still does, for all I know. Anyway, you'd think it was a rock concert the way the audience cheered when the title song was performed.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington was on TCM this morning (for 4th of July Weekend) and I couldn't help but watch it again. Terrific movie! And the quintessential Jimmy Stewart performance--if you don't like him here, you just don't like him. (Spoiler alert--I like him quite a bit).

Claude Rains, naturally, steals the entire movie.

Hmmm. Not to take anything away from Claude Rains, but I always thought Jean Arthur was the bandit in this case.
Yeah, Jean Arthur is just terrific in every scene she's in. The sequence where she gets drunk (with the actor whose name I forget but love, especially in 'It's a Wonderful Life') is really great.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
Singing in the Rain. Just bought it on DVD.

One of my favorite movie ever. O'Conner is briliant in his "Make 'Em Laugh scene, and Gene Kelly is my favorite singer/dancer from that genre of actors.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
Blacula- I disliked VERTIGO the first time I saw it as well. Decades later, I watched the restored version, with much better color and loved it. I'm sure the print made a difference, but I think I wasn't mature enough to 'get' it.

In particular, the scene where Kim Novak emerges from that foggy green light, her appearance and demeanor changed to meet Stewart's character's specifications is a haunting, beautiful piece of cinematic work.

A few years from now, watch it again and see if you don't find a new appreciation for it. I'll bet you do.

I will definitely do that Mystery Lad. There was enough in there that I could see what people liked about it but I think maybe I just wasn't in the mood or was expecting something more or something. I actually have it on DVD somewhere so I will give it another go sometime.
From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

quote:
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
I also saw the last few minutes of The Women, the original, last night. I saw it at the nursing home once before and I've gotta say, it's pretty funny.

I have always wanted to see that movie (the original, not the apparently terrible remake). It looks like a hoot.
From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
It is. There's this part where they're in Reno and one of them has this little freak-out.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
BTW, even though The Philadelphia Story is one of the greatest movies of all time, maybe it's not for Blacula. Between Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, and Katherine Hepburn, it's pretty much a weird distinctive voice extravaganza!

I have always wanted to see The Philadelphia Story. Maybe I can watch it with subtitles? [Big Grin]

But seriously, the "weird" voices of Grant, Stewart, et al aren't enough to make me dislike a film. Just wonder where on earth they came from to get accents like that. lol

P.S. Does anyone think Tony Curtis was copying Cary Grant's voice when he was pretending to be the rich, yacht owner in Some Like It Hot? I always chuckled at the voice he used in that movie but now think it had a remarkable similarity to Grant's. Or is that accent just typical of a certain region of the USA? Like Hepburn's New England (I think) accent?

Tony Curtis is a huge Cary Grant protegee, so I'd say "yes". Grant's accent is some sort of English accent mutated by living/working in America (it may be "English trying to sound Amerian").

Stewart's from Eastern Pennsylvania, as I recall, but I don't think that has much to do with his voice.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I just watched SILENCE OF THE LAMBS for the first time. Memphis? Crazy transexual-wannabees? I had no idea.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
^Great film! And the final sequence is FREAKING SCARY!

I watched that when I was like 12 and it was the first time I learned what the words 'serial killer' meant.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Same here Cobie. I watched it when I was 14 and couldn't sleep that night.

Watched Shutter Island a few nights ago. It was pretty good. While I'm not a big Leo fan I am a big Martin Scorcese (sp) fan. Beautiful film (shots, music, etc). The overall story? Pretty good.

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. Saw it last night and LOVED it. Nice to see Gilliam using modern special effects in such a glorius way. Good acting all the way around. My wife was pleased with the 4 good looking guys in it. [Wink]

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh wait also saw Hot Tub Time Machine. Man I'm almost 35 and grew up in the 80's...and I was very drunk when I watched it but it was hilarious!

Not a big comedy fan but this like Hangover really made me laugh.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Saw Predators the other week. I really quite liked it. The last say 20 minutes, especially

Click Here For A Spoilerthe whole Topher Grace thing

were a bit weaker than the very fun/exciting first two-thirds but not enough to dull my enjoyment of it. Definitely my favourite Predator movie since the first one.

Next on my Must-See list - Inception.

Anti-Matter Eater Lad
Awesome

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anti-Matter Eater Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Anti-Matter Eater Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I saw Inception. I liked it but wasn't in love with it. Although, I did see it at the midnight show and was extremely tired from the day before. I started explaining the movie to someone and realized how brilliant it really was. I saw the movie again and now I'm obsessed with it.

--------------------
We are Legion!

From: Los Angeles 3009 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
Tonight I watched "Before Night Falls," Julian Schnabel's adaptation of Cuban novelist Reinaldo Arenas's autobiography.

I have to say, although I pretty much detest Schnabel's paintings, I have to give him his props - between this film, "Basquiat," and "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," - dude makes some really beautiful and affecting movies.

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Exnhihil, I saw Before Night Falls when it came out at a film festival. Good story (my family is cuban).

Anti-Matter Eater Lad, I loved Inception. I have to see it again but I love a great movie that refuses to dumb down. This is what the Matrix should've been.

This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  ...  78  79  80   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.