Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » "Smexy" '60s/'70s music videos (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: "Smexy" '60s/'70s music videos
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
I have similar issues. The first time I run a vid, it takes forever to totally load. Might be boundary issues. After the first time through, though, it's fine.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Another band that should have made it big. They started out kind of glam, then moved into art-rock before streamlining their sound slightly ahead of the oncoming New Wave. This vid is from their later days.

Be-Bop Deluxe

--------------------

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Nice! BBD had a '50s vibe going. (Though it's hard to get used to rock stars who look like accountants. [Smile] )

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
You know... I've only listened to a little bit of BBD before!

I always think of them as being in the same category as 10cc, however, so here's one of their tunes!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I could care less about Nirvana's music in the 90s, but they sounded pretty good in the 60s. [Wink]
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Steely Dan as you've probably not heard them before - playing like they have a plane to catch.

Speaking of "smexy" - don't forget to check out the guy doing the introductions.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I could care less about Nirvana's music in the 90s

I'm so glad to find out that I'm not the only one on Legion World who doesn't like them. I wonder who will be the next one to come forward? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Ok, yet another group who should have been bigger than they were, and who certainly had the respect of a lot of other musicians as you'll see from the clip.

Little Feat

--------------------

rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Nirvanc, that other band with the guy that shotgunned himself...all of them...I feel pretty much..."eh"...about them. Any "rocker" that does the "I'm such a tortured soul..." thing is pretty much a poser and a douche.

That said, Little Feet, Blackfoot, Rainbow...all had some good stuff.

This one was Awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXBJu5vD0RY&feature=related

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
sorry, double posted for some reason.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
Steely Dan as you've probably not heard them before - playing like they have a plane to catch.

Speaking of "smexy" - don't forget to check out the guy doing the introductions.

What is going on in that performance? Did they have a plane to catch? Was it the drugs? Were they just experimenting?

[ May 22, 2010, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lass:
quote:
I could care less about Nirvana's music in the 90s

I'm so glad to find out that I'm not the only one on Legion World who doesn't like them. I wonder who will be the next one to come forward? [Big Grin]
I'd pretty much disappeared into full-blown jazz snobbery by the 1990s. (I spent my last two years of college listening mostly to Wayne Shorter, Billie Holiday, and Count Basie. Ironically, the mini swing-craze didn't hit until almost a decade after that.) If not for the fact that I lived in the Pacific NW, and started dating a guy who did some backstage work for NXNW, I'm not sure I would have noticed the grunge craze at all.

Music press always seems to create an inch-deep view of whatever eras they're writing about anyway. There was plenty of great "pure pop" making the rounds in the 1990s, but now we're not supposed to remember it.

I still like digging out a lot of the local recordings from that era and hearing the kind of flourishes and markings that grunge left on them without changing their fundamental nature. The Black Watch, for instance, is one of those "arty," post-Eighties California bands whose best work (to me) is the stuff that had its surface "roughed up" with grunge.

Locally, it was a great time to follow woman artists, too. Man, I STILL miss Carminha Pirahna.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I actually can remember the first time I heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit". I was watching 120 minutes one night in high school, and I can remember the song really standing out. A few weeks later they were huge. I do think Nirvana did a good job of capturing the mood of a certain subset of my generation very nicely. I suppose I at least respect them for that. But it's not anything I would consider to be "my" music.
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:

What is going on in that performance? Did they have a plane to catch? Was it the drugs? Were they they just experimenting?
I have no idea, really. It's possible they picked up the pace as a way of making the song fit into the alloted time slot. Or this is just how the original band sounded when they were free of studio constraints. based on this, it's no surprise "Skunk" Baxter ended up in the Doobie Brothers.

That wouldn't explain, however, why at the same performance original singer David Palmer takes the lead vocal on "Do It Again" instead of Donald Fagen. (You can see that on YouTube as well, btw.)

--------------------

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

quote:
You know... I've only listened to a little bit of BBD before!

I always think of them as being in the same category as 10cc, however, so here's one of their tunes!

Hope the BBD clip encouraged you to check out more.

I have to give artists like Gerry Rafferty and 10cc a lot of credit for trying to make it on the strengths of their records alone in the image-conscious UK.

--------------------

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.