Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Alias 2001-2006 (Spoilers) (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Alias 2001-2006 (Spoilers)
rokk steady
Magically Delicious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokk steady   Email rokk steady         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, the accent thing got to me too. I was really hoping for a big push toward a huge, satisfying series finale, but this week's episode was really flat and doesn't seem to be leading anywhere I particularly want to go... oh well. I'll keep watching... at this point, I can only be nicely surprised if they pull a rabbit out of the hat and make it all work.

--------------------
Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!

From: City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
The fight betweeen Anna and Vaughn also struck me for all the wrong reasons - as when Vaughn was killed or Syd getting pregnant - real life stuff brought me out of the drama of the actual story.

Still, it must be pretty messed up to get to beat up on your ex on tv like that

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Something which occured to me recently is that maybe the show's plunge in quality has a lot to do with ABC extending the hiatus. It was originally supposed to come back in early March, and was then put off until mid-April. This has given the writers and producers a lot fewer episodes within which to resolve the series. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2 hour special, the last good episode before the downfall, was the only episode which had been completed before ABC threw a wrench in the original plans. Certainly a lot potentially interesting stuff -- the evil organization's ties to the U.S. government, for example -- has been swept under the carpet, possibly due to the time compression. It could be that some of the writers and producers are just as unhappy with the way the show is going as the viewers are.

Back at 9, etc.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Underwhelming...predictable...humdrum...

There's no need for spoilers this time.

Basically, Syd retrieves an amulet for the evil organization. She escapes with her life (but not before being reduced to a damsel in distress; GRRRRR [Mad] ), and we have a sticky-sentimental closing scene with Syd, Vaughn, and baby Isabella, which doesn't work because the actress and the actor can't hide how uncomfortable they are being in the same room with each other. Then Sloane interrupts by calling Syd and gloating that now nothing can stop him (yet another familiar Alias trope dusted off and propped up to tedious effect.)

And the plot thread involving Boring New Guy has been needlessly complicated to show that he's actually not a villain, and that he Rachel are meant for each other. [Disgusting]

2 hour ending this Monday at 9. A mercy killing of a TV show if there ever was one.

When it's over, I'm starting reviews of the first four seasons, just to remind myself that this was once an exceptional show.

--------------------

DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Hm. Well, it's over.

Some very good parts, some ho-hum parts. Aside from the body count it seems like we've seen this all play out before. Maybe the series only had about three seasons worth of stories in it.

Ultimately, as with most finales, there's the sense of needing to wrap things up, of giving us certain things that we knew we'd see. It was still entertaining and I think the show left on a strong, if not sensational, note. I thought the flashback sequences were a nice touch, filling in certain details in a key part of Syd's life. I also really liked Marshall's heroic moment.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

So it ends. Here's the final spoiler box:

Click Here For A SpoilerSyd's mother and father both die.

Irina's death is lame (after a catfight with Syd, she falls through a skylight trying to reach the Rambaldi artifact). In fact, the whole way she's used in the episode is a disservice to one of the greatest villainesses in the history of entertainment. She doesn't even appear until the final half hour. The nuclear strike thing was arbitrary and...well...lame.

Jack sacrifices himself so that the shot-to-pieces-by-Syd-yet-mystically-resurrected Sloane (don't ask [Roll Eyes] ) can spend eternity buried under tons of rock inside Rambaldi's tomb. (I can't believe I just typed that. [Roll Eyes] )

That final stinger with Isabella, now a grade-schooler, putting together the same puzzle that Syd put together as a little girl was both stupid and creepy, downright unforgivable.

At least Boring New Guy died (another self-sacrifice), and Rachel survived. Other survivors: Vaughn, Dixon, Marshall...and Sark, just in case there's ever an Alias reunion TV movie and they need a familiar villain. Dammit, it should have been Irina!

Now then, it is going to give me great pleasure to hit the reset button and start posting reviews of the first four seasons. I'm hoping to post the first few tomorrow night; from there on, I can't say how soon the rest of the reviews will come. Hopefully, in a couple months.

(This past weekend, I "cheated" and watched the first few Season Two episodes. The difference in quality is simply astonishing.)

And I was also thinking, I could put together a good fanfic out of the alternate scenarios that I've posted in this thread. Hopefully before the end of this year.

Alias is dead, long live Alias (but only the first four seasons.)

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
Aside from the body count it seems like we've seen this all play out before.

Agreed.

quote:
Maybe the series only had about three seasons worth of stories in it.

Disagree! Season Four kicks ass, and I'll defend it to my last breath!

quote:
I thought the flashback sequences were a nice touch, filling in certain details in a key part of Syd's life. I also really liked Marshall's heroic moment.

Too little too late.

--------------------

Bubble Wrap Boy
Perpetually Horny Crimefighter

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bubble Wrap Boy   Email Bubble Wrap Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
It all went downhill for me after season 2, which is too bad because when this show was hot, it was SIZZLING! I couldn't get enough of it. Too much effort went into it's "re-inventing itself" season after season to grab new viewers. I just lost interest. I fear we're slowly going down these same avenues in Lost and Battlestar Galactica. [Frown]
From: Boston | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
okay !!

as it's almost 2am here in the UK, i don't have time to make a FULL post, but i've just finished watching the FINAL episode of 'ALIAS' season 5 !!

i got the boxset for Christmas, and i started watching it last Sunday !!

first response ..... i LIKED it !! [ from now being able to read these last few posts, you guy's didn't seem to like it too much ] i think it helped that i watched them so closely together ??

anyhow, gotta go to bed [ i'll post more tomorrow ..... ]

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.