Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you READING? (Page 40)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: So what are you READING?
Seth Gaterra
Last Son of Angtu

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seth Gaterra   Email Seth Gaterra         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Battler:
I bought and readDragonsblood last night. Is anyone a Dragonriders of Pern fan?

This one was written by Anne's son, Todd McCaffrey.

Curious about other people's reaction to it.

Yes, I'm a Pern fan (though I admit I hadn't read her prequel-type books except for Moreta). Just finished re-reading "All the Weyrs of Pern"; bit behind on the books right now, so I hadn't gotten to that one.
Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
Books I've read since June 1, 2006 (my last post on this page)

From the Star Wars Universe: By Karen Traviss
Republic Commando: Hard Contact
and
Republic Commando: Triple Zero

I was tremendously surprised by these two books. Not only was the author able to tell two very intriguing tales, but she successfully took no less than 12 CLONE Troopers and gave them individual identities and personalities. And some of the dialogue between the troopers had me laughing out loud. Two very good entries into the Star Wars library.

From the realm of Fantasy I read:

The Legend of Drizzt books 2-10 by R.A. Salvatore

2. Exile
3. Sojuorn
4. The Crystal Shard
5. Streams of Silver
6. The Halfling's GEm
7. The Legacy
8. Starless Night
9. Siege of Darkness
and
10. Passage to Dawn

It's tough to report on each book individually since each is a part of the whole story. All of these books are great. If I had to recommend a starting point with this series I'd recommend the second trilogy (Icewind Dale, books 4-6)which was actually published first. Great story with Elves, Dwarves, Barbarians, magic, magical beasts, Demons, Dragons, Evil Dwarves, Evil Elves, Gods, Politics, physical conflict, emotional struggles, war, romance, great villains, great cliff hangers (especially book 5)... the story has it all. Can't recommend these books enough.

Other books I've fit into my schedule were The Icarus Hunt and Cobra by Tim Zahn. Two interesting Sci Fi tales. Cobra is about enhanced military soldiers and Icarus is about rogue smugglers/pilots trying to fulfill the terms of their contract while the rest of the universe wants to stop them from doing just that. The book was a pretty good read, until the ending turned it up a notch. Zahn seems to be able to surprise me, even though I should know better. Cobra was just a little bit better than standard Sci Fi fare.

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saturn Girl
Always Leave Them Spellbound

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saturn Girl           Edit/Delete Post     
Reading Katie McAllister's 'Sex, Lies and Vampires' which is just silly and fun and doesn't take much brain power. This is from my vampire 'lite' collection and is great recovery reading.
From: Utah (non-Mormon!!!) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
Currently Re-reading Asimov's Foundation books, some of my favorite sci-fi
From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I was in one of those read-a-classic kind of moods, so I picked up "Good Omens."
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by dedman:
Currently Re-reading Asimov's Foundation books, some of my favorite sci-fi

Deddy, I was called Ike (what the underclassmen considered short for Isaac) in school because you could always find me reading one of Asimov's books on the back steps of the school. The Foundation trilogy was the first great trilogy I ever read. Once upon a time I had the versions originally published in Astounding Science Fiction magazine. Psychohistory, to me, is one of the greatest literary concepts, ever.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lad Boy
3rd smartest person on Legion World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lad Boy   Email Lad Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Wide Sargasso Sea
From: Washington DC | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kate Harvestar
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kate Harvestar   Email Kate Harvestar         Edit/Delete Post     
Joe just gave me the "contract with god trilogy" for my Birthday. Im loving it! [Smile]

--------------------
Illusion, Michael. A “trick” is something a whore does for money... or candy!

From: Newcastle, Australia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saturn Girl
Always Leave Them Spellbound

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saturn Girl           Edit/Delete Post     
Scott and I went to one of the last surviving used book stores in Salt Lake City the other day. Scott was searching for Robert MacCammon's 'Swan Song' (which we have about six copies of, but they are all in storage somewhere) and I was just looking out for vampire books. I picked up a werewolf story called 'Cry Wolf' by Alan B. Chronister (Zebra, 1987.) It turned out to be so compelling that I couldn't put it down until I finished it. Would make a fantastic made for television kind of late night movie. I had the cast all figured out in my mind's eye. It was wonderfully creepy and managed to give me a lot to think about as well.

At the same trip to the bookstore I picked up a copy of Belva Plain's 'Crescent City' for $1.00. I'm in the mood to re-read something about New Orleans during the Civil War era. It is almost the year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, and New Orleans is very much on my mind.

Hugs readers!!!!! [Smile]

From: Utah (non-Mormon!!!) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Caroline forgot to mention I was also looking for Usher's Passing by McCammon, which I could not find. So I picked up my third copy (at least) of Stephen King's Bachman books (The Rage, The Long Walk, Roadwork and The Running Man). I've read the four novels at least a dozen times if not more but The Long Walk is one of King's best. As is The Running Man as long as you can get that Schwartzenegger version out of your mind.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
Hm. I've read Usher's Passing. You have me curious as to what happened to my copy of it ...

I had a credit with the Sci Fi Book Club that I used to buy a bunch of books with that came in on Friday. I read Tatoine Ghosts today which was pretty good.

I also got a hardcover version of the Solomon Kane stories... [Big Grin]

Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I am currently reading "American Infidel: Robert G. Ingersoll". Col. Ingersoll was the greatest speaker in the late 1800's, an agnostic, and friend to 3 US president's. His lectures would draw in thousands. One of the forgottens of history.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I am still reading American Infidel, but I also just got "Overheard in New York". The book is from this web site Overheard in New York

The title says it all. Be warned that a lot have swear words. It is New York after all.

Sample: Tourist dad, posing his family in front of WTC site: Smile, kids!--Ground Zero

Teen 1: Hey, look at this! It says "Train for jobs in beeyotch."
Teen 2: Fool! That word is "biotech." Why you gotta be ignorant all your life? -- 1 Train

[ August 17, 2006, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Quislet, Esq. ]

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seth Gaterra
Last Son of Angtu

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seth Gaterra   Email Seth Gaterra         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
So I picked up my third copy (at least) of Stephen King's Bachman books (The Rage, The Long Walk, Roadwork and The Running Man). I've read the four novels at least a dozen times if not more but The Long Walk is one of King's best. As is The Running Man as long as you can get that Schwartzenegger version out of your mind.

I know we've had 2 copies of the Bachman Books, maybe three. Of the four novels, we think that Rage is the best one. The Long Walk and The Running Man, you could say are just some dark futures that can't happen (though with the way reality TV's going...?) Roadwork just wasn't that good. But what I find most frightening are the stories that could happen RL... and Rage fits that pattern.
Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
i'm flipping between The Death and Life of Great American Cities. (Jane Jacobs) and City of Quartz (Mike Davis).
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.