Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Return of the King opens on Wednesday! (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Return of the King opens on Wednesday!
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
I saw Return of the King yesterday. It was amazing. The LOTR trilogy has now supplanted Wizard of Oz as my favorite movie(s). I just want to go back and see it over and over and over.
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
 -  -
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Finally seen it and I was absolutely blown away. This was a film which lasted over three hours and yet it seemed to just fly over. The special effects were, well, special. It was almost impossible to see where the computer generated fx joined the real world. This was promoted as the best of the three and boy were they right. I hope (but don’t really believe) that this one sweeps the board at the Oscars. At the very least Andy Serkis deserves an award for Gollum. I was totally swept away forgetting that Gollum was not “real” just a load of pixels, and most of that is down to Serkis voice performance.

I do wonder how non Tolkien fans reacted to the ending. There were any number of points where a film maker would have ended this story, none of which would be anywhere near the true ending of the book. But as a fan I was glad to see all those little vignettes which just helped to wrap up the story. I was particularly pleased to see Sam’s last lines just as they were in the book.

Perfect.

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
THE LABRADORIAN
THE LEGIONS' GREATEST HERO

Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE LABRADORIAN           Edit/Delete Post     
well
ya know
all those movements that gollum does are actually Andy Serkis making the movements. He has a suit on that has tiny electrodes in it that basically send the movements to a computer, so its actually him doing it, just an animated character doing the parts on film.

Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Lab

I saw that on the DVDs How they changed the look of Gollum to match Andy's face because he put so much into it. Just another reason he should get an award

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ger
an old newbie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ger   Email Ger         Edit/Delete Post     
Caleb and I were like little school girls when we came out of the theatre. We thought about seeing it again but we went out.
Andy Serkis was amazing. After seeing the "Gollum" extra feature in the 2 Towers DVD, I really looked at Gollum in this one and I saw Andy's face. It was unreal. His origin was creepy but it helped to explain what Frodo was going through.
I'll be seeing it again. 3 and a half hours? Maybe, but it didn't seem like it.

From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

The only disturbing thing about the movie was finding out that even little hobbit girls have hairy feet...
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
You do know that dwarf women have beards don't you Stu?
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saturnrings
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saturnrings   Email saturnrings         Edit/Delete Post     
I laughed, I cried, I told my friends!

It has been years since I read the trilogy and frankly, I'm glad I didn't remember the details from the books. I was free to enjoy the trilogy on it's own merits and it was wonderful! I very rarely buy DVDs or CDs but I can't wait until this comes out in a box set. I can watch it over and over again!

From: durham, nc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
You do know that dwarf women have beards don't you Stu?

Well, they did say that in The Two Towers. We didn't see it, though!
Stu
Time Trapper

I just watched the extended version of The Two Towers, and I thought it improved the theatrical release immensely.

There were lots of little bits of exposition here and there that explained events and various characters' motivations from both the first movie and the third movie, thus rendering this version of Two Towers a much better bridge between Fellowship and Return.

In particular, I thought the added material really helped flesh out the characters of Eowyn, Boromir, and Faramir, and also clarified the relationships of Eowyn and Theoden, and Boromir/Faramir and their father.

The only thing I didn't care for much was the additional material involving the ents. I didn't think a lot of it was necessary, and thought it detracted somewhat from the other storylines in the movie. (Plus, every time I heard Treebeard speak, I couldn't help but think of Gimli.)

One thing I realized, though -- Andy Serkis's voicing of Gollum reminds me of Gurgi from Disney's animated version of Lloyd Alexander's The Black Cauldron! Only instead of his "Precious," Gurgi was forever craving "munchings and crunchings"...

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.