Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you READING? (Page 38)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: So what are you READING?
walkwithcrowds
Skinny wee Scottish guy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for walkwithcrowds   Email walkwithcrowds         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm re reading the Philip Marlowe books by Raymond Chandler. I haven't read them in about four or five years and so am really enjoying them so far.
For those who are interested, the stories are told in the first person by a Private Detective (named Philip Marlowe)operating in 1930s L.A. They are very well written and all of the clues needed to solve the case are given in the story. So you don't feel cheated by some out of the blue ending, and (I imagine) feel quite smug when you do manage to solve them before Marlowe (I never have).
There are seven novels and quite a few short stories in the series, but you're better to stick with the novels if you want to try them because, the short stories were published in "Pulp" magazines and were written as different characters - they were renamed as Marlowe for the collected editions.
I'm reading them in chronilogical order and am only in the second one:Farewell My Lovely.
Jack O'Halloran,who played Non,in Superman II makes his first big screen appearance in the 1975 film version as Moose Malloy, which led to him being offered the part as Non.(some comics related trivia for you).
I really can't recomend these books enough. It's not just a load of macho, misogynistic c**p, as it sometimes seems to be perceived. Marlowe is a fully rounded,honourable character,with a code of ethics that most would consider old fashioned, in this cynical world.
Some of the language used to describe people and places, in the books, is very memorable, even poetic. Here are some examples:
"The minutes went by on tiptoe, with their fingers to their lips."
"The sunshine was as empty as a headwaiter's smile."
"They say lust makes a man old, but keeps a woman young. They say a lot of nonsense."
and,finaly:
"The purring voice was now as false as an usherette's eyelashes and as slippery as a watermelon seed."
If you want to find out more there is a very informative entry for Philip Marlowe in the "Wikipedia" which not only talks about the books but also tells you about the films, radio and comic versions. I can't remember the web address off hand but I'm sure you'll have no problem finding it.
The first novel is called "The Big Sleep". I really hope you give it a try. Get in touch and tell me how you got on.
Next time I'll tell you about P.G. Wodehouse.

--------------------
Be lucky

From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
That's the second Wodehouse mention in this thread in... well, okay, a little over a month. Nice.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rokk steady
Magically Delicious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokk steady   Email rokk steady         Edit/Delete Post     
Kite Runner opinion, as requested: The prose is simple and straightforward. At first, I was very moved by the story and interested by the description of life in Afghanistan (particularly the kite game from which the title is derived)... however, I was ultimately disappointed because a large number of coincidences piled up, such that my ability to suspend disbelief was stretched too far.

I am currently reading two things:

The Fabric of the Cosmos, by physicist Brian Greene... one of those non-fiction books describing the evolution of modern cosmology and the search for one unifying theory of everything, in plain language that even I can understand; and

My Lucky Star: Joe Keenan: as with many comic novelists, the author has been compared to Wodehouse (make it THREE mentions), but so far he is the only one that makes me laugh out loud to the same extent... and I mean he REALLY makes me laugh out loud. He was a writer for "Frasier." His best book is "Blue Heaven."

--------------------
Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!

From: City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Just finsihed 'Extremely Loud...'

This kid has turned book raeding into an adverture and interactive. You really feel that you are living the life of the characters. He draws you in not only with the words but what he leaves out. The book is so different from others I have read. I can understand why he has gotten so many kudos for his style, which is very orginal. This book about lost and grief is handled in such a touching manner wihtout being cloying. I really love this book and am look forward to seeing what he has in store next.

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Let's keep it on a Wodehouse run: re-reading Sunset at Blandings. I hardly reread anything anymore, but Lord Emsworth and the Empress of Blandings are like old friends. (It was Matthew's initial post that made me think of going back to Blandings.)

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
'Sunset at Blandings' is one of the rare Wodehouses I've never read. I've had the chance to; I've just stayed away from it because Wodehouse never really finished it.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walkwithcrowds
Skinny wee Scottish guy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for walkwithcrowds   Email walkwithcrowds         Edit/Delete Post     
I re-read Ukridge lately. I know it's a short story anthology,so probably doesn't count as a book, but it's definitely one of my all time favorite reads. I read through it when ever I feel a bit low and it always cheers me up.
Has anyone read Azazel by Isaac Asimov. It's a collection of short stories about a guy who is always granted wishes by a two centimetre tall imp called (you guessed it) Azazel. He can only make a wish to help some-one else but they always turn out wrong.
As Asimov says in his introduction:
"...if you occasionally detect the faint influence of P.G. Wodehouse, believe me, that's not accidental."
While we're on the subject, what do the rest of you think of the Granada TV version of Jeeves and Wooster, that starred Hugh Laurie as Bertie and Stephen Fry as Jeeves? For myself every time I read a Bertie book now I can't imagine anyone else as our heroes. It was only a shame they couldn't get the same cast to play the parts throughout all four series. The first guy to play Gussie was perfect but then they changed him. The same thing with Aunt Dahlia. Spode was the same throughout though and was spot on.

--------------------
Be lucky

From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

I like Laurie and Fry, but my wife and father-in-law don't like Fry as Jeeves. They think Jeeves needs to be older. I disagree.

I think I've read some of the Azazel stories, at least, but I don't remember them very well. I've read Ukridge, but a long time ago; he's my least favourite recurring Wodehouse character.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

walkwithcrowds
Skinny wee Scottish guy

How about now? They were made about 15 years ago. Do they think he's grown into it? In fact, anybody else have any ideas on who would play the parts these days?
I think Colin Baker (the sixth Doctor Who) would be an interesting Jeeves. I've no real thoughts on who would play Bertie...give me time to think about it.
Brainiac 5 and Invisible Kid as a Legion version. The Kid has a talent for saying the wrong thing, although Brainy is WAY too arrogant. Still, it's an interesting idea.
As for Ukridge, I always envisaged him as Ronnie Barker, in a wig and glasses.

--------------------
Be lucky

Kid Marvel
Im Joeboy. I know stuff.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Marvel   Email Kid Marvel         Edit/Delete Post     
Son of a Witch by Gregory Maguire - Sequel to "Wicked" (book and musical)
Its Neat [Smile]

--------------------
Remember : It's not technically a suckerpunch if you yell ''DEFEND YOURSELF SPROCKER!'' two seconds before you let him have it.

From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I am reading One Hundred Years of Soltitude.

Interesting book so far....

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick Vinson
Libertarian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Vinson   Email Nick Vinson         Edit/Delete Post     
Spiritual Authority by Watchman Nee.

Really great read, if you are into Christian Theology in the slightest.

--------------------
-Nick-

Is Civil War over with yet?

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I recently finished "The Tipping Point" which is an examination of how small events can trigger major trends/phenomena. It's not about money. It's about obvious things like fashion, but also about how the crime rate in NY dropped dramatically in the 90's.

It really makes you think about your role in society.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
currently reading "winter's Heart" by Robert Jordan, standard fantasy fare, though a bit long winded
From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Sat down and read The DaVinci Code in two days. Been putting it off as I've read all of Brown's other work. Have to say, while a good read, it was no where near as good as the first book in the Langdon trilogy, Angels and Demons.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.