Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you WATCHING? (Page 33)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  78  79  80   
Author Topic: So what are you WATCHING?
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I caught part of "Idiocracy" on Comedy Central over the weekend. It's Luke Wilson and Maya Rudolph as two "average people" who somehow end up 500 years in the future, into a time in which the "dumbing down" of society as advanced to a degree that they are by far the smartest people around.

While I didn't like the movie much at all, it got me started thinking that it was actually kind of a cool and original premise for a story.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I saw that too! It was utterly terrible! One of the worst movies I've ever seen actually.

But yeah, the premise for the whole thing is actually pretty good. It'd make a great Twilight Zone or Outer Limits episode, or one issue story in Strange Adventures or something.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree -- "Idiocracy" has an interesting premise and it would be interesting to see what this "dumb" world would look like,(the tv show of neverending blows to the crotch is probably going to be on Spike next season) but it was a bad film and there wasn't really a story there.

It could have been a collection of short films, each helmed by a different director showing different visions of the "dumb future".

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bicycle Repair Man
Deputy

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Bicycle Repair Man   Email Bicycle Repair Man         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I caught part of "Idiocracy" on Comedy Central over the weekend. It's Luke Wilson and Maya Rudolph as two "average people" who somehow end up 500 years in the future, into a time in which the "dumbing down" of society as advanced to a degree that they are by far the smartest people around.

While I didn't like the movie much at all, it got me started thinking that it was actually kind of a cool and original premise for a story.

Not so original: The Marching Morons was published in 1951.

--------------------
"Gee, Brainy, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Bouncing Boy: try to take over the United Planets!!"
They're B.B. and The Brain ...

From: Monty Python's Flying Circus | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
. . . the "dumbing down" of society . . . it was actually kind of a cool and original premise for a story.

Outer Limits had a similar story when I was a teen.

These parents were shown trying to hide that their son, or maybe daughter, I can't remember for sure, was very smart.
We don't know why until the end, when he's (she's) taken away by authorities to be euthanized so that the other kids, who weren't smart, wouldn't feel bad about themselves.

Everyone had to be mediocre.
sigh

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I love 'Fringe'.

The stories are so interesting and BEST OF ALL, the characters are so incredibly perfect.

What superb casting!

--------------------

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raging Bull
Maverick

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raging Bull           Edit/Delete Post     
Harper's Island.

It's so tacky and cliched, yet strangely compelling.

--------------------
♦ Translated from 31st century Texan to 21st century English ♦

From: The open range | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

New obsession: Life After People

There's something just incredibly cool about this show!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

I saw that miniseries when it first came out, I think, or something very like it.

Is it based on the idea of humans leaving the planet with probes either sent back periodically over the years to check on what's happening here?

Anyway, I rattle on so.
sigh

I'm waiting for the new Star Gate Universe to come out.

--------------------

Come, join me!

Eryk Davis Ester

You're thinking of the Future is Wild, which is somewhat similar. It focuses on the future course of evolution in the absence of humans.

Life After People is more about what would happen to all of our stuff after we suddenly disappear, and how long it takes for all evidence of human life to be wiped out. There's something oddly groovy about watching the International Space Station crash into Earth, thus destroying our attempts to preserve human DNA, or finding out that it will take about 100 years for parrots to quit mimicking human language in our absence.

cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Idiocracy would have been okay as a half-hour short. Not so much as a full-length movie. The premise is somewhat disturbing, but not in the way Judge intended, I'm sure.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
The Day the Earth Stood Still.

the new one

ugh

The DVD box had the original movie also, making the new one seem even worse in a side-by-side comparison.

Quantum of Solace.

WOW! Smartest written James Bond movie I can remember. I like that it continued on the story and some non agency characters from the last movie and I think I'm going to like this "real" Bond. Best foot chase sequences I recall seeing in a movie.

Still wouldn't mind a super villain on occasion but this direction has to be my favorite of all Bond takes(sorry Mr. Connery).

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Is anyone familiar with a cartoon called Spicy City?

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Life After People was pretty groovy! Is that an ongoing series?

I love watching the history channel specials. The one about Krakatoa is simply fascinating to me. I also watched the gloomy one about 2012...my friend said it best: "looks like shit is over in 2012." The special is a little over the top in being alarming and trying to scare you. Its like Fox News or something.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Raging Bull:
Harper's Island.

It's so tacky and cliched, yet strangely compelling.

It is such a '90's slasher flick. I'm sadly hooked on it.
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  78  79  80   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.