Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you READING? (Page 30)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: So what are you READING?
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jorg-EM:
legionadventureman, I've only read the first book but I realy dug it. My gf has read all of them except the latest. I love the films and plan to read the rest!

Since my last post I read the Seville Communion. As a big fan of the city Seville -probably my favorite city ever(Napoleon Dynamite voice)- I realy enjoyed it. Shitty ending but oh well. [QB]

Good to hear, Jorg, reading (and posting on Legion World, natch) is among my favourite past-times...From Agatha Christie to Virginia Andrews, i suppose i do have eclectic tastes in literature...as do you, i see.

I am currently reading The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson.

It belonged to a friend of mine who basically told me I had to read it. It's ok...lots of historical details about 1890s Chicago...including the serial killer H.H. Holmes. After that reading the History of the Basques...and then hopefully a Harry Potter.

From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
Good to hear, Jorg, reading (and posting on Legion World, natch) is among my favourite past-times...From Agatha Christie to Virginia Andrews, i suppose i do have eclectic tastes in literature...as do you, i see.
From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Arachne:
I'm totally hooked on the Southern Vampire Chronicles by Charlaine Harris.

You're welcome, Arachne dear [Wink]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
[ROTFLMAO]

I will find a way to pay you back. [Razz]

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Read four Greg Rucka novels in a row, all featuring a character named Atticus Kodiak. Good adventure stories. I think I've read all of Rucka's novels now.

Now I've started a collection of Banjo Patterson's writings - he's the guy who wrote "Waltzing Matilda" - very entertaining. I never know Merino sheep were so nasty....in addition to chronciling life in the Australian Outback, he also wrote about the Boer War and horse racing.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm reading Kazuo Ishiguro's "Never Let Me Go."
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Marvel
Im Joeboy. I know stuff.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Marvel   Email Kid Marvel         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Read four Greg Rucka novels in a row, all featuring a character named Atticus Kodiak. Good adventure stories. I think I've read all of Rucka's novels now.

Now I've started a collection of Banjo Patterson's writings - he's the guy who wrote "Waltzing Matilda" - very entertaining. I never know Merino sheep were so nasty....in addition to chronciling life in the Australian Outback, he also wrote about the Boer War and horse racing.

aaaaah Banjo, Banjo, Banjo. I highly recommend reading "The Illalong Children" if you get a chance. My mother read it to me when I was a kid. Its an Autobiographical book that he wrote for his Grandaughters all about his childhood. Also, "The Man from Snowy river" seems to be what he's most well known for in the states.

oddly enough about an hour, hour and a half's drive from where I live is the "Big Merrino" which is, yes, A big Merrino. Its made out of concrete. It has a gift shop....they built it in the eighties. if I recall correctly there was once a wool museum of some sort in the head. Australia has a habit of building "Big Things"....like the Big Bananana, The Big Pineapple, And the Big Rocking Horse which is out LAM's way. Closer to me then the Big Merrino is A big Oyster. Also theres a Big "Ayers Rock" (Uluru) about 45mins out of town, which isnt that big at all if you've actually seen Uluru. it was conceived as a tourist park (also back in the eighties) by the "Leland Brothers" who were dinky-die Aussies with their own nature show. like steve Irwin but less Cringe Worthy. or more (I havent decided as yet). Now its used to house stuff Im assuming. And theres a Gas Station.

What am I reading though? Today its "Something Rotten" by Jasper Fforde...the fourth in the "Thursday Next - literary detective" Series. these books are a hoot for anyone who has ever taken English as a subject and actually enjoyed it...Sort of Harry Potter for Smart People. "The Ayre Affair" - the first book is my favorite, though "Lost in a Good is Book" (#2) is pretty good. "The Well of Lost plots" is sort of....meh. Anywho. Thats my little rant for the day.

--------------------
Remember : It's not technically a suckerpunch if you yell ''DEFEND YOURSELF SPROCKER!'' two seconds before you let him have it.

From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hey Joe Boy, I love Jasper Fforde too, though since I am not much of a classics reader I don't get half of the stuff. I do enjoy reading them though.

No new books for me. Nothing has really captured my interest.

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I've just finished the first 100 pages of John Irving's 700+ page latest novel, Until I Find You.
From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Marvel
Im Joeboy. I know stuff.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Marvel   Email Kid Marvel         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by RTVU2:
Hey Joe Boy, I love Jasper Fforde too, though since I am not much of a classics reader I don't get half of the stuff. I do enjoy reading them though.

No new books for me. Nothing has really captured my interest.

My Mother is an English Teacher...I developed a love of the Classics By Proxy.

--------------------
Remember : It's not technically a suckerpunch if you yell ''DEFEND YOURSELF SPROCKER!'' two seconds before you let him have it.

From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
Classics are awesome, I am quite partial to Dickens myself.

And I'm about halfway through Goodkind's "stone of Tears"

From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
Finally caught up on all my Star Wars books, so I decided to ask my Dad about some of the books he's read over the years that he really enjoyed.

His first response was the Travis McGee novels by John MacDonald. It's about a 1960's Gum Shoe type who lives in Florida on a house boat named the "Busted Flush". Named for the poker hand in which he won it.

There's about 20 novels in all... and I read the first one, The Deep Blue Good By, about a week ago at the beach (winds out of the NE made the Atlantic too choppy for swimming). Given that the book was set in Florida over 40 years ago, it was a pretty good window into the society of the time. I was pleasantly surprised at how good of writer MacDonald really was. I didn't think my dad would recommend a bad book, but I wasn't sure he'd hit my tastes either.

Also read Velocity by Dean Koontz... picked it up in the bargain bin about 1.5 months ago. Didn't know a thing about it other than I'd enjoyed some of Koontz's other novels. This was a nice quick beach read also. Hooked me from the first page with a nice little neighbor vs. neighbor story and went from there. There are points where the book lives up to it's name... I couldn't wait to turn the page and see what happened next... actually felt the heart racing a few times while reading it. Not a classic literature work by any stretch... I'd probably call it an extremely good "popcorn" book.

Also re-read Lightning by Koontz too. It had been about 15 years and I didn't remember too much about it. This was another good book. Koontz has a great way of making the reader identify with characters... or at least care about them. As long as he stays away from hokey "spiritual" themes, I really enjoy his books.

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm way behind on Harry Potter books, so I'm just now reading The Chamber of Secrets.

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Do the movies follow the plot of each book, word-for-word, Dan?
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I just read THE FURIES OF CALDERON by Jim Butcher. It's a fantasy title set on another world where the human characters live in a society based on ancient Rome.

The magic involved is that of the elements- earth, fire, air, water, wood and metal. The various uses of elemental-control are really well-presented and show how superheroes with similar abilites could be used way more powerfully.

The nonhuman population of this world live in a clan system with strong, possibly supernatural, bonds to animals. The clash of cultures is a central part of the story.

Well worth a read if you enjoy parallel histories, intricate magical fantasy or CLAN OF THE CAVE BEAR type stories.

I don't know this, but I *think* it's heading towards a lost colony sort of fusion between fantasy and SF, like Darkover or Pern. A subgenre that's a particular favorite of mine, when done well.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.